Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: New Dominion Cards by... Me!!!! :D  (Read 8609 times)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: New Dominion Cards by... Me!!!! :D
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2013, 08:00:14 pm »

I don't think you're in danger of making it too much like Scrying Pool.  SP is fully cantrip and it works for ALL action cards, plus it has an attack and some filtering to get started.  Your version only works for a single named card, which is far more difficult to set up.  Those situations you describe would be fun and awesome to pull off, but they are difficult and not really a reason to cost the card higher.

As scott pointed out above, my suggestion to give it +1 action instead was a poor one.  Just reducing the cost to $2 would suffice.

manthos88

• Bishop
  • Respect: +43
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2013, 08:02:50 pm »

Wow... wow... wow...

Ok! Ok!

Sweeper will be changed to cost $4!  ;D

I was not sure whether this card should cost $3 or $4 anyway. After all these comments, i'm definitely gonna change it to cost $4. And i'll give it some more thought. I'm not sure about that, but maybe i could change it a little bit, but don't expect too much. This is the kind of trasher i always wanted to exist in this game. Straightfarward, simple, clear trasher.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 08:04:22 pm by manthos88 »
Just give me a mega-turn engine and take my soul...

Holger

• Minion
  • Respect: +466
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2013, 08:12:59 pm »

Chapel is an exceptional case.

Lookout is not cantrip.  The +1 card matters a lot.  Moreover, it gives you far reduced selection (3 cards instead of your hand) and it gets very dangerous to play in the mid game.

Loan is a copper, which is not at all like a cantrip.  And it only trashes treasures.  If you buy any other Treasures it will start to whiff (hitting your Silvers and Golds) quite a lot.

Lookout doesn't have +1 Card, but since it trashes from deck instead of hand, it keeps your handsize the same as a cantrip trasher would do, so it seems equivalent to a (nerfed) cantrip trasher to me. The same holds for Loan, which neither costs an action nor decreases handsize any more than Junk Dealer does. (If the top card of my deck is a Copper, playing Junk Dealer to trash a Copper and playing Loan actually do exactly the same thing, both for my current term and for my deck content.)
Of course both cards have the substantial nerfs that you mention, but they also have the advantage of mild filtering resp. giving $1 over a "vanilla" cantrip trasher.
The question is if Lookout and Loan are so weak only because of these nerfs, or if a cantrip trasher isn't that strong to begin with.

It's not about the hand size though.  With Loan, it's like you played a cantrip and it drew a Copper.  If you played an actual cantrip, you would get an average card from your deck which should be better than Copper.  Copper is the stuff you want to get rid of, after all.  But alright, "nerfed cantrip" is an OK approximation.  The nerfs do matter a lot though.

Upgrade without the card gain is easily worth $4, because you often play it without the card gain anyway (trashing Copper).  Sweeper does better because the trashing isn't even forced.  That is why I say that it is certainly too strong for $3 and quite possibly too strong for $4.
I agree that "Upgrade without the card gain" would probably be fine at $4; I'm not sure if it becomes too strong with the suggested buff. Anyway, thanks for the discussion!

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2013, 08:27:04 pm »

Upgrade without the card gain is easily worth $4, because you often play it without the card gain anyway (trashing Copper).

I know that comparing terminals and non-terminals isn't fair, but note that Remake without the card gain would be worth approximately $1, even though you often play it to trash Copper anyway.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1679
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2013, 01:01:27 am »

I really like engineer, sweeper (at $4 of course), and street market, and I agree Avalanche's niche is small enough for it to cost $2.

Here's my suggestion for Iron-Processor:
Iron-Processor (Action, Cost:3)

+2 Cards

Discard a card. If it's an... Action card, +1 Action... Treasure card, +(2) Coin... Victory card, +1 Card.

As it was, the only way discarding a treasure could be a gain would be if you had a potion you had no use for anymore, or maybe a bank when all your coin is from action cards.  But this way you could effectively turn a copper into a silver for that turn.

Here's my suggestion for Diplomat-Smithy:
Diplomat (Action, Cost:2)

+2 Cards

The player to your left may draw a card. If he does, all other players do as well (including you).

That removes (most of) the politics from it.
The rest of them don't look as interesting to me, but engineer is probably one of my favorite fan-made cards that I've seen.

florrat

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: florrat
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2013, 11:21:47 pm »

@LibraryAdventurer:

I think your suggested Iron-Processor is a bit too strong for $3, and would be good at $4.
-If you have a victory card in hand, you can use it as Smithy with a minor drawback (but with other options)
-If you have copper in hand, you can use it as (approx.) +2 cards +$1, which has similar strength to smithy
-If neither of the above apply, you have a very strong hand (or a lot of curses), and neither of the options is really bad (but also not that good)
(and it combo's with dual typed cards)

On the other hand, your Diplomat-Smithy suggestion is very very weak. It is strictly weaker than Moat without reaction. The removal of politics is good (and it doesn't matter that much that the player on your left chooses, Jester and Possession are worse than this w.r.t. the importance of seating order)

For Diplomat-Smithy I would suggest the original card at $3 with removed (reduced) politics:

Diplomat-Smithy (Action, Cost:3)
+3 Cards
The player to your left may draw a card. If he does, all other players do as well (including you).

I think this wouldn't be too strong.

If there is no discarding attack on the board, the player to your left will usually want to draw a card (especially if the current player has no actions left), because drawing a card out of turn (if you can keep all your cards until the start of your own turn) is usually stronger than drawing a card mid-turn. In this case this might be almost Council Room for $3, but that's not as good as it sounds:
-Council Room generally is pretty bad without discarding attacks;
-The +Buy is really strong on a terminal card which draws 4 cards.

On the other hand, if there are discarding attacks (and you have a few), the player to your left will usually not draw the card, and then this becomes Smithy for $3. Yeah, that's strong, so it definitely combo's with discarding attacks. But if you compare with Council Room or Governor which also combo heavily with discard attacks, then it doesn't seem too strong. Council Rooms draw 1 card more and Governors are non-terminal, and while they give the opponent the benefit of choosing their 3 cards from a bigger hand and both cost $5, they are enough stronger to justify this at $3, in my opinion.

PS: @manthos: I like most of the cards you suggested. They are all pretty balanced (or could be balanced with a minor change), and they all have some reasonably new idea to them. I didn't comment on any other card, because I agree with what (at least) one other person has said before on them, and I don't want to repeat other's opinions.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 11:30:58 pm by florrat »

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1679
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2013, 02:36:03 pm »

@florrat
You know what?  I think you're right about both cards.

I've had fun with Council Room, but I've also liked it when my opponent played Council Rooms.  Having my opponent (a bot in the game I'm thinking of) play council room turned a crappy hand into a pretty good one a few times.  So yeah, making Diplomat-Smithy cost $3 (along with adding the 'all other players including you' bit) should make it fine.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 21 queries.