Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Remembering Your First Game of Dominion  (Read 21283 times)

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
Remembering Your First Game of Dominion
« on: November 20, 2013, 07:47:38 pm »
+8

I remember my first game of Dominion. It was in a study room in the library of my school.
It was me, my older brother and his friend--who was introducing us to the game for the first time.
We did not play with the starting set, yet I still recall some of the cards on the table: throne room, witch, militia, laboratory.
The first kingdom card I bought was a witch--my brother's was a laboratory. I couldn't seem to understand why silver cost $3 when it only gave you $2, or why copper cost $0, it just seemed so strange. Why would you ever buy something that gave you less money than it cost? Eventually I realized that I was able to keep these cards even when I "spent" them. To tell the truth, I don't think my brother's friend was that great of a player--but he will always stand out as the person who introduced me to *the* game.
I can't remember who won that first game, but I do remember what it sparked in my mind.
The next week, while I was at work, I couldn't stop thinking about it. And, within the week, I purchased the Base set and began playing with my family.
Now, two and half years and 5 expansions later, I've come a long way from that first game. But the nice thing about Dominion is that every time is different--every kingdom offers a new insight into the marvelously complex interactions between the cards. Add more expansions, and it only gets better.
Anyway, just an amateur reminiscing about his first game.
Feeling the nostalgia yet?
Why don't you post something about your first game and where you are now.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
Re: Remembering Your First Game of Dominion
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 08:09:59 pm »
+8

my first game was a four player game, none of us had played before. It was the first game kingdom - except we accidentally used chapel instead of village... which was a big deal. We did the normal thing of buying random action cards and having tons of terminal collision. One player bought remodel and decided that it was a bad card. So they bought chapel purely to trash the remodel. The chapel was never in the same hand as the remodel and so it was never played. About halfway through the game, we had pretty big decks and nobody had bought any provinces... and we weren't much closer to getting them. I decided to start buying only money, because actions wasn't working out. A few turns later everyone else joined me. Our decks were so bad that it took a while to build up, we almost emptied the gold pile. In the end, I got to the provinces first because I started buying money first, and won.

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 09:09:38 pm »
+2

I can't remember if it was the first game I played but it was one of the first- Adventurer was on the board, and everyone else was ignoring it in favor of gold, and I thought "hey this card looks cool", so I bought it and ended up winning (probably by luck, everyone playing was still in the "buy random actions" phase of learning Dominion). For a long time after that I had a very inflated opinion of the card, and I still have a certain fondness for it.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12849
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 03:55:50 am »
+1

My first game was a 2p game against my older sister at around 1am and I was extremely tired. Council Room was in it and it caused terminal collisions which made me irritated. That's all I can remember, I probably lost but I have no memory of that.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 04:07:40 am »
+1

My first game was… on BGA. My opponent bought only markets at $5, $6 or $7, so I thought market was a very powerful card.

But after, I was so curious that I wanted to try different strategies, even if I would alway lose against market. At first, I thought each card had its own strategy, so I tried many of them, like "Double Mine" : Two mines, no other terminals, but yet treasures, cantrips or villages. Actually, I was not far from the truth, and even if Double-Mine is a very poor strategy, it was not a bad way to think of strategies in Dominion, because we have things like Smithy-BM, or Double Jack…

Jean-Michel

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jean-Michel
  • Respect: +44
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 04:58:09 am »
+4

The only thing I remember from my first game is that it had Woodcutter. I loved that card. "This has to be strictly better than silver, both give +$2 but Woodcutter also gives a Buy! :P

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 05:07:36 am »
+1

It took some time to hit the table in our group, because we thought it would be a very complex Risk-style game based on the name.

So we played it with 4 players and it ended up being a quite simple card game, I don't remember well what I did, but I think I bought too many action cards, but also quite a decent amount of money.

Basically, I played as as simulator: I have X to spend, let's buy a card costing exactly X if possible. I underestimated Duchies and overvalued Coppers. Heck, I think we all had many Thiefs and such, which are actually quite nice in multiplayer.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

RTT

• Minion
  • Respect: +707
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 05:39:44 am »
+2

my first game was with my sister. none of us knew the game and it was the intrigue box. i started with a great hall and thought this would get me forward. there was also upgrade and i thought it was a stupid card as it weakens your actual turn. we bought way to many terminals and had collisions everywhere. also we played as 2 player with 12 provinces because i havent read that rule. so the game took about 2 hrs until we were able to buy all provinces.

I won ;)

terminalCopper

• Explorer
  • Respect: +758
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2013, 05:58:46 am »
+4

I offered Dominion to myself my wife last christmas, and we tried the suggested "first game kingdom". We had not read the 3-pile-rule, and we got all markets, villages and smithies before going for provinces. We both had about 50 kingdom cards in the end, and concluded in the second game, that gardens were comically underpriced.

I won ;)

Congratulations!

serakfalcon

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: serakfalcon
  • Respect: +230
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2013, 06:26:18 am »
+3

I offered Dominion to myself my wife last christmas, and we tried the suggested "first game kingdom". We had not read the 3-pile-rule, and we got all markets, villages and smithies before going for provinces. We both had about 50 kingdom cards in the end, and concluded in the second game, that gardens were comically underpriced.

I won ;)

Congratulations!

I lost!!! and i had been winning for like, a year now...

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2013, 12:51:30 pm »
+2

I lost the game.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2013, 01:27:38 pm »
+1

my first game of dominion was played while a number of lovely young ladies baked and then served me delicious fresh apple pie. i distinctly remember playing a version of smithy/BM (only bought smithy, money, VP) that could have been beaten by a BM bot programmed by a toddler. i spent most of the game trying to watch the other players to learn some strategy while trying to not mess up shuffling my deck. i did not win, but i liked it enough that i ended up playing almost 5000 more games after that.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 02:53:28 pm by greatexpectations »
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

terminalCopper

• Explorer
  • Respect: +758
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2013, 01:43:51 pm »

my first game of dominion was played while a number of lovely young ladies baked and then served me delicious fresh apple pie.
You mean, you had some real life before playing dominion?

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2013, 01:47:13 pm »
+5

Workshop is broken because it just let's you get cards for free.  Obviously because it's so OP gaining cards in your action phase via Workshop counts as your buy phase....

Yeah, I'll take my walk of shame for that one.  It really happened.
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

pedroluchini

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +205
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2013, 02:44:19 pm »

A friend of mine wanted to show me this totally cool board game, so he brought over the base set and we played a few games. I had been shown Munchkin just the night before, and (being new to the whole board game thing) I thought that was really fun and Dominion was kind of boring.

Yeah. [facepalm.jpg]

Anyway, that friend (bless his soul) kept insisting to play Dominion and the game slowly grew on me. It was not until I played a few games on Isotropic with all the expansions that I was truly hooked, though.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2013, 02:51:38 pm »
+2

I remember my first game was a 4-player game, and 3 of us opened with Woodcutter and would always take copper on our spare buys (because we can get more cards for free, it was great!)

heatthespurs

• Spy
  • Respect: +61
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2013, 09:47:24 pm »
+1

- 4 players Base game
- Buying random actions (6VP fairground definitely)
- Woodcutter: Strictly better than silver!
- Spy: Piles run out quickly. Discarding other people copper while keeping own copper on top of deck.
- Library: Untouched – what is the value of not drawing some particular action card?
- Thief: Strong (which is not totally incorrectly in 4-player game) and fun
- Use +buy to buy extra copper, countering thief attack
- Use +buy to give curse to other player (hey, why we need the curse pile in no-witch game otherwise?!)
- Game ended on piles (no one have the economy to get the province)

florrat

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: florrat
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2013, 10:28:27 pm »
+4

If you assume you can do this
- Use +buy to give curse to other player (hey, why we need the curse pile in no-witch game otherwise?!)
Then this is a pretty logical conclusion
- Woodcutter: Strictly better than silver!

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2013, 10:41:56 pm »
+2

my first game of dominion was played while a number of lovely young ladies baked and then served me delicious fresh apple pie. i distinctly remember playing a version of smithy/BM (only bought smithy, money, VP) that could have been beaten by a BM bot programmed by a toddler. i spent most of the game trying to watch the other players to learn some strategy while trying to not mess up shuffling my deck. i did not win, but i liked it enough that i ended up playing almost 5000 more games after that.

I remember that game. It wasn't too long after my first. Which I think was a mix of seaside (which was new at the time) and base. I don't remember the specifics other than I didn't win.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2013, 12:03:43 am »
+3

My first game I built a crazy engine using workshop to gain Smithys and Villages, and used Markets to double Provinces every turn. I was such a beast...

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2013, 10:16:55 am »

I'm not exactly sure when, but I think I might be the person around here who started playing Dominion first.
My first game was in October '08, buying random cards in the first game set. I loved it and I think I played quite a lot of games in a row that day.

TheMirrorMan

• Golem
  • Respect: +124
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2013, 11:31:46 am »
+2

My first game was actually on BSW. I was wondering : hey, what's all this fuss about this weird cardgame ? Played with an opponent with whom I talked a bit and even apologized that probably I was going to do weird stuff. Observations :

* Chapel : why would anyone wanna buy this ?
* Militia : love it (agressive player here ;) )
* Oooh villages. I want to do as much as possible!!!
* Library : well, seems weird. Let's check this out. Ugh what an awful card.
* Buying festivals instead of markets even when there is no draw.
* And of course ... Why would anyone wanna buy money ? I mean those actions give you enough extra money and you've got already $7 in your deck right ? Should be enough to get to $8 easily!
Here comes the mirror man. Says he's a people fan.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2013, 01:45:53 pm »
+1

Uhh...I don't really remember what happened on my first game of Dominion. I know that my sister was the one teaching us to play, it was a 3-player game, and it was the "First game" board. We got some Militias, bought a bunch of money, and had fun playing a bunch of games after that.

In the beginning, I was the guy who tended to buy too many terminals Thief before quickly realizing that was a bad idea. I was also the bold one who would buy Chancellor, Council Room, Library, and Gardens at times. My sister liked her treasures, and her boyfriend liked his Villages and Festivals (especially with Smithy on the board). Things started getting tough when the bf began buying Laboratories a lot. I knew something was up with that card. Truly, there was stylistic diversity in our games. Thankfully, We all thought Gold was awesome, so our games would always end on Provinces reasonably quickly, even when we would all get Witch.

My sister and I didn't see the value of trashing at all until we started playing on Isotropic. Sadly, she doesn't play anymore.

allanfieldhouse

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +374
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2013, 05:10:53 pm »
+2

My first game (4 players):
None of us bought chapel (because there were no curses).
Markets seemed to be everyone's favorite because of how many different things they gave you.
We didn't have a village, so I was amazed when another player throne roomed a market and could then play two more actions.
I bought a couple coppers near the end once I discovered you could buy them for 0.
I tied for first with 27 points -- which I soon discovered was a very common score.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2013, 05:16:02 pm »
+5

I was playing 4p with some friends on isotropic.  I remember the game had Familiar and Wishing Well.  I didn't understand that gained cards went in the discard or that money wasn't used up.  (Always have to explain this to people I teach too)  My friend told me attacks suck and to just go for cards with +Card +Action on them.  I was taught by the cantrip idiot.  I bought a lot of Wishing Wells and kept trying to wish for cards, not understanding I had to have bought them first.  Somehow, the game was intriguing enough to me after this that I kept playing it.

Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 20 queries.