Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Discarding Reaction  (Read 3246 times)

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
Discarding Reaction
« on: November 19, 2013, 03:11:05 am »

I know that this probably has been done before (just about everything has (If you find it please post it))... but, an interesting idea struck my mind.

Cardname
$5 - Action/Reaction
+1 Card
+1 Action
+$1

When a card is played (during either your or your opponent's turn) that would cause you to discard any number of cards from your hand, you may reveal this. If you do, set the cards you would be discarding aside. Return them to your hand when the card that caused you to discard is completely resolved.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 04:43:39 am by Morgrim7 »
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

RTT

• Minion
  • Respect: +707
    • View Profile
Re: Discarding Reaction
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 03:38:46 am »

first thing coming to my mind is that a cantrip reaction is generely very strong as it doesnt hurt your deck. you just load up on them and every discard attack can be prevented. This as a peddler variant is even good for 5 on its own... ( ofc. strictly worse than treassury without the reaction)

2nd: also there ist a wording issue: it should just trigger by discarding from hand because there are also cards that discard from your deck( Tribue, Spy, Saboteur, Knights ...)

3rd: I think this would be pretty nice with the vault penalty drawing a free card for every vault played. also triggering on your turn would be to strong i guess. just think about warehouse + this card

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 04:42:47 am »

first thing coming to my mind is that a cantrip reaction is generely very strong as it doesnt hurt your deck. you just load up on them and every discard attack can be prevented. This as a peddler variant is even good for 5 on its own... ( ofc. strictly worse than treassury without the reaction)

2nd: also there ist a wording issue: it should just trigger by discarding from hand because there are also cards that discard from your deck( Tribue, Spy, Saboteur, Knights ...)

3rd: I think this would be pretty nice with the vault penalty drawing a free card for every vault played. also triggering on your turn would be to strong i guess. just think about warehouse + this card
First: Yeah, I just had to throw something in there for substance. Subject to change.
Second: mmm...good idea. Will revise...
Third: That's the point.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

RTT

• Minion
  • Respect: +707
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 05:02:49 am »

Third: That's the point.

but a card that lets all your warehouses become +1 action + 3 cards is insane...   :o or just imagine cellar with that and a rather big hand. even minion (yours and opponents) are crazy

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12848
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 10:25:25 am »

Storeroom and Tactician are pretty crazy, too.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 11:08:32 am by Awaclus »
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Powerman

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 12:05:58 pm »

Storehouse and Tactician are pretty crazy, too.

Rules wise, Tactician probably wouldn't work since you don't actually discard them and instead set them aside.  I'd assume that means you don't get the TAC cards next turn.
A man on a mission.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 01:11:25 pm »

Rules wise, Tactician probably wouldn't work since you don't actually discard them and instead set them aside.  I'd assume that means you don't get the TAC cards next turn.

...That makes the next turn even CRAZIER!
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2013, 09:51:18 pm »

You discard 1 card, then reveal the reaction and set the rest aside.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2013, 09:53:10 pm »

I just realized, you sometimes don't know if a card will make you discard cards when it is played, like minion.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2144
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2013, 10:16:13 pm »

I'm pretty sure discarding is atomic, so when Tactician says discard your hand, you have to discard them all or set them all aside (Morgrim's card doesn't give you an option to not set aside, given that you reveal it).

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12848
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2013, 11:07:42 am »

You can't, because you have to reveal the reaction when the card is played.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

manthos88

• Bishop
  • Respect: +43
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2013, 09:25:19 am »

Donald has already taken care of creating a card that can gloriously counter handsize reduction attacks, and that is no other than Horse Traders, one of the best cards in Dominion (in my opinion).

Horse Traders has a lot of uses. It's good for Engines, Slogs, counters handsize-reducers and top-deck junkers, and even if the attack played is not countered by Horse Traders, the +1 Card bonus is always nice.
Just give me a mega-turn engine and take my soul...

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2013, 01:22:15 pm »

Donald has already taken care of creating a card that can gloriously counter handsize reduction attacks, and that is no other than Horse Traders, one of the best cards in Dominion (in my opinion).

Horse Traders has a lot of uses. It's good for Engines, Slogs, counters handsize-reducers and top-deck junkers, and even if the attack played is not countered by Horse Traders, the +1 Card bonus is always nice.
New article!
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 20 queries.