Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  All

Author Topic: Furious  (Read 44064 times)

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2017
    • View Profile
Re: Furious
« Reply #125 on: March 07, 2014, 02:01:28 am »
+1

I agree that it can feel like a let down when you don't get to play out the turn you've been building up to. I also think a player should have the right to resign when they choose to. I think the best solution is to have the option to continue the game by replacing the resigned player with a bot. It would especially help for 3+ player games.

flies

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: flies
  • Statistical mechanics of hard rods on a 1D lattice
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
« Reply #126 on: March 07, 2014, 09:02:22 am »

I think in general you should be able to resign at any time, and it can be annoying when you're getting crushed, but I also think that a megaturn type strategy is a fine thing when it goes off properly, and resigning in the middle of that turn is impolite and is, frankly, poor sportsmanship, since the game isn't about winning, but about having fun, and what's more fun than a HoP/Bridge explosion?
Gotta be efficient when most of your hand coordination is spent trying to apply mascara to your beard.
flies Dominionates on youtube

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 07, 2014, 10:46:42 am »
+3

I agree that it can feel like a let down when you don't get to play out the turn you've been building up to. I also think a player should have the right to resign when they choose to. I think the best solution is to have the option to continue the game by replacing the resigned player with a bot. It would especially help for 3+ player games.

I like this solution a lot and have complete confidence that any attempt by Goko to implement it would be disastrous.
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 07, 2014, 12:10:39 pm »
+3

I think in general you should be able to resign at any time, and it can be annoying when you're getting crushed, but I also think that a megaturn type strategy is a fine thing when it goes off properly, and resigning in the middle of that turn is impolite and is, frankly, poor sportsmanship, since the game isn't about winning, but about having fun, and what's more fun than a HoP/Bridge explosion?

The question is, what's less fun than sitting through somebody else's HoP/Bridge explosion?

THIS IS A RHETORICAL QUESTION. YOU DO NOT NEED TO RESPOND WITH ONE OF THE MYRIAD THINGS THAT IS LESS FUN, e.g. GETTING HIT IN THE TEETH WITH A BASEBALL BAT.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 07, 2014, 12:16:35 pm »
+3

The question is, what's less fun than sitting through somebody else's HoP/Bridge explosion?

THIS IS A RHETORICAL QUESTION. YOU DO NOT NEED TO RESPOND WITH ONE OF THE MYRIAD THINGS THAT IS LESS FUN, e.g. GETTING HIT IN THE TEETH WITH A BASEBALL BAT.

Sitting through it with Goko lag.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 07, 2014, 12:29:16 pm »
+2

i compltetely disagree. Generally, I think not doing something is almost never bm. There are exceptions to this: when you create a game, it's bm to leave it open forever, when you join a game, it's bm to take forever with your turns. Aside from that though, you're not obligated to do anything, and you're certainly not obligated to watch his megaturn go off. You can consider it poor sportsmanship if you want, but that's kind of narrow minded. The game may be about having fun for you, but it can be about winning for someone else. He might not want to watch your megaturn because you haven't build it properly, and he knows he could do it better if he'd just gotten the right draws. Or maybe he just considers it a waste of time.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 07, 2014, 12:49:51 pm »
+3

Getting hit in the teeth by someone else's HOP/Bridge explosion.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 07, 2014, 12:58:56 pm »
+9

Being on the bridge during the explosion.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

flies

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: flies
  • Statistical mechanics of hard rods on a 1D lattice
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
« Reply #133 on: March 07, 2014, 03:19:26 pm »
+2

Playing a rebuild mirror. 

The fun part of dominion is seeing the cards come together.  It's more fun when they're your cards, but still.  It's not so bad for you to wait, and it's lots of fun for the other player, so it's sporting for you to hold off on resigning.  Within reason. 
Gotta be efficient when most of your hand coordination is spent trying to apply mascara to your beard.
flies Dominionates on youtube

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 07, 2014, 04:19:42 pm »
+4

I would say it's nice to let them play out their last turn, and I generally try to because I appreciate it when other people do this for me. I wouldn't say it is rude to resign however. You can resign whenever you want (in a 2P game).
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: March 07, 2014, 06:58:58 pm »

On finishing the last turn:

If stats were still being collected for Council Room, it would be very inconsiderate to resign before the end.  (along the lines of what serakfalcon said)

Since stats are not being collected for Council Room, I don't think it really matters, but I think it is more courteous to let the opponent finish the turn.  Personally, if I know I am well behind, I might resign early on in the game (although I rarely resign).  If I am close enough that it got down to a final turn, I will always let my opponent finish that turn. 
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
Decline of Civility on Goko???
« Reply #136 on: March 07, 2014, 07:46:51 pm »
+1

CLLOXIN: Yo mama's so fat, if you discard her with cellar, you draw your whole deck.

Just because i won a curse split

clantosa

• Steward
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 27, 2014, 07:24:11 pm »

snooze fest i guess the system should have something in which it marks down the average time each turn is taking and once a certain number is reached it should auto kick the player. Or just auto kick if the system realizes this player is being consistently slow

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 27, 2014, 07:32:33 pm »
+1

snooze fest i guess the system should have something in which it marks down the average time each turn is taking and once a certain number is reached it should auto kick the player. Or just auto kick if the system realizes this player is being consistently slow

The problem with that is what if the person is legitimately thinking? There are many games with a tricky end-game situation where you have to tread carefully with every buy. I've thought, and seen other people, think for a good 5 minutes about what to buy. And not just on one turn.

clantosa

• Steward
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 27, 2014, 07:36:33 pm »

The problem with that is what if the person is legitimately thinking? There are many games with a tricky end-game situation where you have to tread carefully with every buy. I've thought, and seen other people, think for a good 5 minutes about what to buy. And not just on one turn.

well i mean if they do it once in awhile late game and if they post something saying hang on then its fine but i mean there should be no reason why your consistently spending 5min per turn over say like 5 turns thats already is 25min thats kind of ridiculous dont you think?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 28, 2014, 12:02:25 am »

Some games have a system whereby instead of resetting the timeout every time a player makes a decision, it keeps a running clock and every time a player makes a decision, it just adds a small amount of time to the clock. So perhaps if the clock started at 5 minutes, but only added, say, 30 seconds for most decisions.

EDIT: No, even that's too much. 10 seconds? And you can't ever bank more than 5 minutes.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 12:08:03 am by LastFootnote »

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 28, 2014, 12:11:08 am »

Some games have a system whereby instead of resetting the timeout every time a player makes a decision, it keeps a running clock and every time a player makes a decision, it just adds a small amount of time to the clock. So perhaps if the clock started at 5 minutes, but only added, say, 30 seconds for most decisions.

EDIT: No, even that's too much. 10 seconds? And you can't ever bank more than 5 minutes.

Hearthstone actually did this very well. You only have X time for a turn. If you run out, you will only have 10-15 seconds on your next turn to make a move. Then you return to full turn time. This way if you want to slow play, you can only make the person wait so long because you will eventually run out of time anyway.

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 28, 2014, 03:52:10 am »
+4

I just went on here and searched tgorm just to see if anyone else had been slow rolled by him - lo and behold, I wasn't the only one!  Also saw another guy in the chat room complaining about him slow playing after he was obviously beat later on that day.

Nobody needs to hear the specifics (he thought I was getting lucky, he made some bad choices at the beginning which contributed to him being unlucky, he curses, then the slow plays.....).

Anyway, for anyone still looking at this thread - tgorm.  Don't play him.  Honestly, do yourself a favor and don't do it.

I just played tgorm.  What a nightmare.  He got a 2/5 he didn't like, so he started complaining about it and then started calling me names and to "sit and wait like a bitch".  I never even said anything.  All this because he didn't like his 2/5.  I blacklisted him with the extension, but oh my god what a psycho.

I'm currently being slow played by tgorm because he said I was playing too slow (and I'm beating him, which is probably the real reason he's mad). Time to start using the Salvager extension auto black list the worst 10% after this game. And him, of course. Haven't had an experience this bad yet, which is why I wasn't using the auto black list.

Edit- after about 25 minutes of him discarding one card every few minutes to Warehouse, he quit. Victory for the forces of good.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 05:32:00 am by JW »

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 28, 2014, 09:47:57 am »

I just went on here and searched tgorm just to see if anyone else had been slow rolled by him - lo and behold, I wasn't the only one!  Also saw another guy in the chat room complaining about him slow playing after he was obviously beat later on that day.

Nobody needs to hear the specifics (he thought I was getting lucky, he made some bad choices at the beginning which contributed to him being unlucky, he curses, then the slow plays.....).

Anyway, for anyone still looking at this thread - tgorm.  Don't play him.  Honestly, do yourself a favor and don't do it.

I'm currently being slow played by tgorm because he said I was playing too slow (and I'm beating him, which is probably the real reason he's mad). Time to start using the Salvager extension auto black list the worst 10% after this game. And him, of course. Haven't had an experience this bad yet, which is why I wasn't using the auto black list.

Edit- after about 25 minutes of him discarding one card every few minutes to Warehouse, he quit. Victory for the forces of good.

Interesting. I've played tgorm with nor problems before. I did get slow played once though, at 2am. I just put on music and got myself a drink to wait it out.

I just played tgorm.  What a nightmare.  He got a 2/5 he didn't like, so he started complaining about it and then started calling me names and to "sit and wait like a bitch".  I never even said anything.  All this because he didn't like his 2/5.  I blacklisted him with the extension, but oh my god what a psycho.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 11:49:51 am by KingZog3 »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #144 on: March 28, 2014, 11:19:22 am »

Are there any people who tried rickrolling the slow player in the chat with no success?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 28, 2014, 11:37:06 am »

Are there any people who tried rickrolling the slow player in the chat with no success?

If the slowroller has the extension, the rickroller is not going to really harm it.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 28, 2014, 12:13:27 pm »
+6

If the slowroller has the extension, the rickroller is not going to really harm it.

So if they have the extension, rickrolling them is just going to let you down and make you cry?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #147 on: April 10, 2014, 04:28:35 am »

Yeah, I accidentally joined tgorm's game and it didn't work. But I had my vengeance! I offensive-gg'd him!

Luckily for me, he still kept emptying the relevant piles.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

ragingduckd

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +3527
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 10, 2014, 06:29:15 am »
+5

Yeah, I accidentally joined tgorm's game and it didn't work. But I had my vengeance! I offensive-gg'd him!

Hmm... if you have him on your blacklist with "censor" checked, his games should be invisible.  Was that not working or have you not blacklisted him?

Fun fact: 9% of all blacklist entries are tgorm
Salvager Extension | Isotropish Leaderboard | Game Data | Log Search & other toys | Salvager Bug Reports

Salvager not working for me at all today. ... Please help! I can't go back to playing without it like an animal!

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #149 on: April 10, 2014, 06:37:12 am »

Hmm... if you have him on your blacklist with "censor" checked, his games should be invisible.  Was that not working or have you not blacklisted him?

Fun fact: 9% of all blacklist entries are tgorm
I was at school, he wasn't blacklisted here. Now he is.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  All

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 21 queries.