Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7  All

Author Topic: Furious  (Read 44269 times)

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
Re: Furious
« Reply #100 on: March 04, 2014, 05:00:06 pm »

Thanks. Yep, I definitely would have quickly ended the game on my next turn. His point was that I should have just played Bishop on whatever cards I happened to have in my hand, without drawing my deck first, which is ludicrous.

If you can't end the game on your current turn, you should play that turn for your own maximum benefit (that is, to get you closer to winning).

It's like, if you had Gold-Copper-KC-Lab-Bishop, and you needed to buy the last BoM and the last curse, the correct course of action is NOT Bishoping the KC and buying BOM.  That's what it sounds like he'd prefer you had done.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 04, 2014, 05:00:26 pm »
+2

Just resign if your opponent is taking too long securing his win?

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 04, 2014, 10:00:37 pm »

Another thing I'm wondering: If I'm about to end the game, I will maximise my points on the current turn. So in this situation that would mean trashing all my Curses and playing a bunch of Monuments. Usually it means buying a few more VP cards than you need. Is this considered to be inconsiderate? If I could have ended the game with my initial hand I would have just done that, but given that I'd drawn my deck anyway, I'm going to trash those Curses and play those Monuments/Bishops. Obviously this game was a bit different in that I couldn't end the game on my turn, and I had no idea what he had in his hand, or how many points he would be able to get on his turn.
Maximizing your odds of winning when it's likely that you're going to win anyway: not inconsiderate
Maximizing your VP when it's 100% guaranteed that you're going to win anyway: inconsiderate

Do you really think it's inconsiderate to maximize VP on your last turn? Maybe if you have an absurd KC or SP engine, but I generally try to buy, e.g. 3 colonies and the last card for the 3-pile, even if I'm already ahead. I certainly agree that dragging the game out any turns past the one where you could win is inconsiderate.

I agree that what you did was reasonable Jim, and his reaction was certainly inappropriate. I don't really understand people who decide to get mad and swear at other people on the internet. I generally assume good faith. If the turn is taking forever then just tab over or offer to resign or don't block the mountebank play.
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 04, 2014, 10:04:45 pm »

I have no problem with people who run up the score on their last turn if they're correctly making it their last turn (ie if they have three Goons in play and buy the last curse for the 3-pile, I don't mind if they use their other 24 buys from KC-Workers Village or whatever on Coppers).

Also, always assume good faith on this sort of thing - sometimes people (including me) simply missed the three-pile. I try to politely point it out in chat if I'm on the losing end.

Of course this doesn't really relate to Jimmmmm's horrible situation.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 04, 2014, 10:29:27 pm »

Jimmmmm wow
Jimmmmm thanks for blacklisting me btw, i really appreciate it :)
Jorgen When i say that, I don't mean just me. There's a community here that doesn't want to play people who play like you play. 4500+. Eat a sack of catpiss.
Jimmmmm what?

lolololol

I'm guessing he hasn't heard about the actual community over here??
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #105 on: March 04, 2014, 10:54:52 pm »

Do you really think it's inconsiderate to maximize VP on your last turn? Maybe if you have an absurd KC or SP engine, but I generally try to buy, e.g. 3 colonies and the last card for the 3-pile, even if I'm already ahead. I certainly agree that dragging the game out any turns past the one where you could win is inconsiderate.
Yes. If buying the last Curse is all I need to win, I click End Actions and buy the Curse and that's it.

EDIT: Sometimes I might play some Actions to get more $ when I'm aiming for the last Province or something, even if I had enough coin tokens to buy it right away, because spending the tokens is so slow.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 10:56:30 pm by Awaclus »
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Stealth Tomato

• Minion
  • Dorkneel
  • Respect: +480
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 05, 2014, 12:01:39 am »
+4

I wasn't sure the best place to post this, so I thought here would be fine.

Just played a game against someone by the username Jorgen: http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20140304/log.516f307ae4b082c74d7def63.1393966935210.txt

If he wanted the game to end, he could have taken the last Curse instead of revealing the Moat every time. It's his fault the game even comes to that.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 05, 2014, 12:46:00 am »

I forgot the Salvager update cleared my blacklist...being slow-rolled by someone who should be on it right now because I forgot to check the usernames.

Some day, this game will end...but that day does not seem to be soon.

**** this is retareded
**** lucky win for you
Voltaire the 5/2 split was definitely strong on this board

Hey, he started playing again...

(no name needed as he's been called out on here before...)

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 05, 2014, 03:21:57 am »
+2

I like how when my game crashes Goko says "Internet connection lost", like the only conceivable way it could goof up is because I completely lost connection to the internet.
I also like how the error messages are super professional white text with no outline displayed over the kingdom cards. 

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 05, 2014, 03:22:24 am »

I like how when my game crashes Goko says "Internet connection lost", like the only conceivable way it could goof up is because I completely lost connection to the internet.
I also like how the error messages are super professional white text with no outline displayed over the kingdom cards.

You and I were both just playing now, weren't we?

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 05, 2014, 03:23:02 am »

I can't remember the username I was up against.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 05, 2014, 03:23:54 am »

The prosperity game with the Stewards and the Heralds and stuffs?

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 05, 2014, 03:24:29 am »

and Cartographer-herald.  That might just be one I completed recently I dunno

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 05, 2014, 03:42:59 am »

I can't remember the username I was up against.

Not me, then.  I just meant we were both just playing now when the servers went down and the "Internet connection lost" message popped up with no background or border.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 05, 2014, 09:56:27 am »

There's a dialog box around it. Back in the day, it was visible. Not sure what happened. The invisible "close" button still works, though. I think it's to the upper-right of the text.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 05, 2014, 10:50:12 am »

I am being slow-played RIGHT THIS VERY MOMENT, as I live and breathe.

His Goko name is barry.

First he accused me of cheating, because I was making pretty good Wishing Well guesses. (I have two cards left in my deck, 2 of them are Copper, I guess Copper, and I am right... obviously I am cheating!)

I kindly explained to him how I was able to make pretty good (though well short of perfect) WW guesses. Well, now he is slow-playing me. Like, really really badly. Usually, people just give it up after like 2-3 turns of this, but he is absolutely committed to it.

I am loathe to give in to the Goko terrorists, so I guess I am going to play it out like this. I am so mad though.

How could you possibly be cheating with Wishing Well online?  Like you hacked Goko?  That's...

... well actually if any site were easily hackable, Goko would probably be it.

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #116 on: March 05, 2014, 01:15:29 pm »

Maximizing your VP when it's 100% guaranteed that you're going to win anyway: inconsiderate

I dunno, I think it's good practice. Do you want to know how many games I've lost because I miscounted the score? If I think I can just buy the last curse at the start of my turn and win yeah I'll probably do that, but if I'm not 100% positive of the exact score, I'm going to draw my deck and pile out Provinces instead if I can do that. This is obviously an extreme case but I don't think it's inconsiderate.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3235
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 05, 2014, 01:34:57 pm »

I dunno, I think it's good practice. Do you want to know how many games I've lost because I miscounted the score? If I think I can just buy the last curse at the start of my turn and win yeah I'll probably do that, but if I'm not 100% positive of the exact score, I'm going to draw my deck and pile out Provinces instead if I can do that. This is obviously an extreme case but I don't think it's inconsiderate.

it's definitely not inconsiderate, for the simple reason that you can resign any time you choose.

that said, why would you maximize your vp's? I always try to get exactly one more than my opponent if possible

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #118 on: March 05, 2014, 01:51:02 pm »
+2

If I can, I try to get exactly 55 points, because 55 is my favorite number. I would consider ending a game on a loss if I knew I would get 55 points at the end of it.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 05, 2014, 01:55:19 pm »
+7

If I can, I try to get exactly 55 points, because 55 is my favorite number. I would consider ending a game on a loss if I knew I would get 55 points at the end of it.

Good thing -1 isn't your favorite number.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: March 05, 2014, 02:09:19 pm »

I might consider ending a game at -1VP if the opportunity came up.  Could save the rest of the evening.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #121 on: March 05, 2014, 02:11:14 pm »

Thinking about the application of this in terms of why 55 is my favorite number is.. umm... unsanitary.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #122 on: March 05, 2014, 02:57:40 pm »

Obviously if you don't have the VP counter on, then it's not 100% guaranteed that you're going to win, so it's not inconsiderate in that situation.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 06, 2014, 09:45:59 am »
+8

I hope we get paired in GokoDom and have a couple of Goons games.

serakfalcon

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: serakfalcon
  • Respect: +230
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 07, 2014, 01:57:41 am »
+2

To be honest, I really like the feeling of getting several hundred points through bridge/Goons/alt VP. I hate it when someone quits before I can finish the megaturn--- at that point, it's not about them, it's about beating my previous records.  In the same vein, I'll let people crush me with megaturns just so they can have the satisfaction of pulling it off.

The only exceptions to these I have is tournament, KC-Masquerade pins, and bishop-fortress engines since all of those can take forever to end. And obviously I don't mind resigning if there's no mega-engine present.

Also I tend to resign later rather than sooner since there's been several games I've seen where the megaturn player lost by being derailed by a well-executed 3-pile that caught them a turn too soon.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7  All

Page created in 2.069 seconds with 21 queries.