Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Never give up! And never loose track of the pile count...  (Read 2405 times)

Eggplantation

• Baron
  • Respect: +48
    • View Profile
Never give up! And never loose track of the pile count...
« on: November 14, 2013, 09:12:30 pm »
+4

I just played a game with Scheme From the Bottom, I opened chapel/cultist with 5/2, and he opened chapel/conspirator, with 4/3. This game was extremely entertaining and taught me many valuable lessons :P

Code: [Select]
Chapel, Tunnel, Conspirator, Fortress, Remodel, Golem, Cultist, Minion, Stables, King's Court

Scheme wasn't happy about my 5/2 split with cultist and chapel on the board, and claimed he would loose after his chapel missed the reshuffle, on top of the 5/2 opening. He stuck in there though, and tried to keep good spirits. It seems I played absolutely terribly, not getting conspirators until much to late. Scheme started to pick up pace, with conspirator leading the way, while I was sending him a few ruins that he easily brushed off.

Soon Scheme's engine was up and running, powered by King's Courted Conspirators, and the +buy from ruined markets, and he was raking in 30+ coins a turn. On the last turn he had 50+ coins, and 4 buys. We were both so dumb-shocked at the power of Scheme's engine, and the terribleness of how my strategy failed to take advantage of the huge 5/2 split advantage that we forgot to watch the piles...

Great game, hilarious to play, and I learnt much from this :P

JacquesTheBard

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +249
    • View Profile
Re: Never give up! And never loose track of the pile count...
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 10:16:19 pm »

Actually, your luck here balances out at the beginning. Cultist consistently collides with Chapel, and the first turn where you could have played both together, you got a very unlucky Minion. You still thinned quickly, but the 5/2 split makes less of a difference under those circumstances. In fact, around turn 7 I'd have to say he has a clear advantage. Buying gold over conspirator there is definitely a mistake on your part.

And yes, the ending is hilarious!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 10:18:44 pm by JacquesTheBard »

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 05:57:50 pm »

Scheme wasn't happy about my 5/2 split with cultist and chapel on the board, and claimed he would loose after his chapel missed the reshuffle, on top of the 5/2 opening. He stuck in there though, and tried to keep good spirits.

That's so polite.  :)

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 07:16:18 pm »

I think minion/chapel would have been better.  I think cultist is sort of forgettable when you are able to get good trashing, and really with KC here you want to get 7 asap, and minion will help more than cultist in a super thin deck, especially once you buy a conspirator or two.
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 07:17:46 pm »

Edit: I realized you might not want me to say exactly what happened in the game, so spoiler tags.

and what a tie.  just be glad you were second player so you didn't lose because of it.
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

Eggplantation

• Baron
  • Respect: +48
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2013, 12:49:43 am »

Actually, your luck here balances out at the beginning. Cultist consistently collides with Chapel, and the first turn where you could have played both together, you got a very unlucky Minion. You still thinned quickly, but the 5/2 split makes less of a difference under those circumstances. In fact, around turn 7 I'd have to say he has a clear advantage. Buying gold over conspirator there is definitely a mistake on your part.

And yes, the ending is hilarious!

True true :P Thanks for that, although of course it was not my best game. One of the games I have had the most fun in however!
Scheme wasn't happy about my 5/2 split with cultist and chapel on the board, and claimed he would loose after his chapel missed the reshuffle, on top of the 5/2 opening. He stuck in there though, and tried to keep good spirits.

That's so polite.  :)

Haha well, he wasn't too happy about his luck, but never said anything against me which was indeed polite. I should have saved the chat log... It was also brilliant. In one part, Scheme was saying that there was no hope for him, towards the start, and I said something along the lines of: "Don't give up! Weirder things have happened in Dominion because of luck!" He replied "Still here, but it really isn't looking good" (not exact wordings, can't remember). Little did I know I was literally speaking the future...

I think minion/chapel would have been better.  I think cultist is sort of forgettable when you are able to get good trashing, and really with KC here you want to get 7 asap, and minion will help more than cultist in a super thin deck, especially once you buy a conspirator or two.

Yeah that makes sense, thanks for the advice. He whipped me with a conspirator-minion deck so yeah, your advice is spot on. Very glad to be the second player! so much luck.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2013, 01:07:34 am »
+1

I one time had my opponent say "gg wp ;)" after I got a turn three Altar (it was the only trashing and there was good engine potential with the $5 cards).
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 21 queries.