Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: non-optimized apothecary/native village  (Read 1829 times)

flies

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: flies
  • Statistical mechanics of hard rods on a 1D lattice
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
non-optimized apothecary/native village
« on: November 14, 2013, 04:08:59 pm »
+1

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20131114/log.5075b25251c30da02a09b898.1384462486904.txt

Code: [Select]
Herbalist, Native Village, Pearl Diver, Apothecary, Develop, Bureaucrat, Spice Merchant, Talisman, Rabble, Tribute
My first time pulling this off so I wanted to share.

I tried to be really disciplined about it - i bought just one copper and a single native village.  I should've gotten a second to deal with the onslaught of rabbles (e.g. on T10).  I played the NV blind once T8 when I was sure there were no apothecaries to soup up (cd've gotten the second NV here instead of playing it blind, since it looks like there were no estates left in the deck either).  Pretty straightforward besides that. 

You can see that i had green floating around in my deck the whole game.  I never managed to pull up the starting cards because the rabbles meant i kept drawing them.  Another NV and I think I'd have been golden.  I was behind for most of the game, but this combo has practically infinite longevity, so I was able to keep my buying power up through the end.

I only had 2 provinces by T14, so I guess I was doing something wrong, the lack of the 2nd NV being the most likely culprit.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 04:10:51 pm by flies »
Gotta be efficient when most of your hand coordination is spent trying to apply mascara to your beard.
flies Dominionates on youtube

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
Re: non-optimized apothecary/native village
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 04:30:56 pm »

Huh. I remember reading a forum article about it, but it's not on the wiki.

forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=884

There it is.

It's always a fun one to play. Definitely unusual.

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 05:05:48 pm »
+1

I love buying Copper for $6 and then winning.
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 07:48:53 am »

I think you should have bought Herbalist on T2 or T3 (I would go for it on T2). It will speed up acquiring Apothecaries a bit, and it will give you +Buy to have a couple of more Coppers and then eventually Double-Duchy. Since you are not thinking about any other terminal, it won't clog you up too bad. It would be better if there was some strong Attack, because you will be playing it every turn after you have a couple of Apothecaries, but a single Rabble is not going to make a huge difference and Bureaucrat's Silves would mess you up.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 08:13:02 am »

But you don't want a couple more coppers -- those extra cards (along with the herbalist) just make it harder to consistently native village away the province you bought every turn. Plus you definitely don't want to be top decking your potion -- that's one less free draw from your apothecaries.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 01:07:25 pm »

But you don't want a couple more coppers -- those extra cards (along with the herbalist) just make it harder to consistently native village away the province you bought every turn. Plus you definitely don't want to be top decking your potion -- that's one less free draw from your apothecaries.

Until you have about 3 or 4 Apothecaries you are not going to draw your whole deck, so topdecking the Potion to buy those quicker will help get off the ground. And afterwards, if you can buy an extra Apothecary with each Province, even if you are slow NVing them away, it should be fine. The +Buy also gives good endgame control, especially important when faced to another engine player.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 20 queries.