Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Cards of Xearth Playtesting! (Round 1, Mail-mi's up)  (Read 4522 times)

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
Cards of Xearth Playtesting! (Round 1, Mail-mi's up)
« on: November 12, 2013, 11:13:43 am »

First of all, I really need a name for this. Maybe someone can think of something? It probably won't be permanent, but I hate to call this just "Card Game".

I have sent out all the PMs, which should include the character, their base boosts, their special ability, and the player's starting hand.

The order of play will be:
Tables
Mail-mi
Archetype
Dsell
Chairs

First off:
Once everyone has posted, I'll PM those who have positive intelligence their extra cards, and then we can begin Round 1.

Start!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 10:12:44 am by XerxesPraelor »

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
    • View Profile
Re: Card Game Playtesting! (pre-game)
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 11:16:48 am »

Should we know what each other player's characters are, firstly? Or would that not be known yet?
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 11:22:22 am »

Also a quick rules question:
Each player chooses 3 sets of two cards to place facedown from their hand in their respective slots. These cards are called the placed cards.

Then the player who was chosen as the start player reveals one of the two cards they chose for their first maneuvers. The cards chosen this way are referred to as the chosen cards.
The next player, who is left of the first player, does the same and so on until all players have revealed a card. Then the last player reveals one of the two cards they chose for their second maneuver and the order changes direction until all players have chosen their second card. Finally, the first player chooses their third card and play continues from them as for the first card.

Instead of choosing a card, a player may choose no card and instead gain 2 Strength in that turn.

So for this what would happen is: I'd put two cards into slot 1, two cards into slot 2, two cards into slot 3. Then everyone in order reveals a card from slot 1, then this goes back the other way revealing the second card from slot 1 or declining to do so to gain 2 strength, then this repeats with slot 2 and so on?

And those rules also say that choosing a stat to buff is done in reverse order. So... should I be first or last?
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 12:29:49 pm »

Oops; yes; last.

The characters are:

Slink the Marsh Hunter. His abilty is that the first attack per turn he makes adds 2 to his attack roll.
His base boosts are +1 Intelligence, +1 Trickery.

Einstein the Stone Golem. Its ability is that all 6s rolled against it count instead as 3s. Its base bonuses are +1 Power, +1 Endurance.

Ferrus, the Iron Wolf. His ability is that he deals minimum 2 damage for all of his attacks. His base boosts are +1 Agility, +1 Intelligence

Ash, the tree shepherd. Her ability is that all buffs she uses use up one less energy. Her base boosts are +1 Endurance, +1 Intelligence

SunWuKong, the Monkey King. His ability is that his attack roll is increased by one if he used a trickery maneuver the previous turn. His base bonuses are +1 Agility, +1 Trickery.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 12:49:21 pm »

/tag
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

chairs

• Young Witch
  • Why don't you have a seat over there...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 01:13:10 pm »

Could we please have the rules re-posted (perhaps edited into first post) so we don't have to dig around in the forum to find them?

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 01:28:56 pm »

/tag and agree with chairs.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2013, 02:38:34 pm »

Each player has a character chosen at the beginning of the game who has one special ability. Characters have 5 statistics: Power, Endurance, Agility, Intelligence, and Trickery. The character also comes with two of those automatically boosted.

Each player chooses 3 sets of two cards to place facedown from their hand in their respective slots. These cards are called the placed cards.

Then the player who was chosen as the start player reveals one of the two cards they chose for their first maneuvers. The cards chosen this way are referred to as the chosen cards.
The next player, who is left of the first player, does the same and so on until all players have revealed a card. Then the last player reveals one of the two cards they chose for their second maneuver and the order changes direction until all players have chosen their second card. Finally, the first player chooses their third card and play continues from them as for the first card.

Instead of choosing a card, a player may choose no card and instead gain 2 Strength in that turn.

Then each of the players in order of Agility uses their first chosen maneuver in order. After all of the maneuvers are used, each player puts all their placed cards in their discard pile. Then each player draws cards to their hand size, which is 8 unless otherwise specified.

After a maneuver is used, the character who used it loses 1 Strength per its strength cost. There are three types of maneuvers: attacks, nerfs, and buffs. To use a nerf or a buff, do what it says on the card to all other players.

To use an attack, roll a six-sided die and add the result to the attack number of the maneuver. This roll is called the attack roll. Then divide by 4 and round up. Each other player loses Life equal to the result of the final number.

In the normal version of the game, each character has 10 life and 10 Strength. For each extra player added beyond 2 players, add 10 life to each player.

Each of the statistics of a character has an effect.
- For each bonus to power, add 1 to your attack rolls and use up one strength less for each power move you use.
- For each bonus to endurance, add 1/10 of your base starting life to your starting life and use up one strength less for each endurance move you use.
- For each bonus to agility, your moves are more likely to go first and you use up one strength less for each agility move you use.
- For each bonus to intelligence, your hand size is increased by one and you use up one strength less for each intelligence move you use.
- For each bonus to trickery, you may place one extra card anywhere and use up one strength less for each trickery move you use.

Chairs (Slink) is boosting Trickery.

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2013, 06:47:44 am »

Can Dsell post his boost? I'm sorry the order is so confusing.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2013, 09:59:28 am »

Can Dsell post his boost? I'm sorry the order is so confusing.

+1 Agility

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2013, 07:55:23 am »

Archetype, Mail-mi, and Tables (in that order) are left.

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2013, 04:09:08 am »

Archetype boosts Power.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2013, 12:32:03 pm »

Endurance
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2013, 01:38:49 pm »

Could the rules question I asked be answered? It'll probably affect my choice.

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2013, 03:13:54 am »

Oh, I only noticed the second question.
First you go around and choose one of the two, in normal order.
Then you move on to the second slot, and everyone chooses one of the two, in reverse order.
Then you move on to the third slot, and everyone chooses one of the two, in normal order.
Only the chosen cards are used.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2013, 11:18:26 am »

Oh, okay. Hmm... +1 agility

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2013, 01:40:06 pm »

And now we move into round 1! PM me the cards to place, and then we can begin the choosing.

chairs

• Young Witch
  • Why don't you have a seat over there...
    • View Profile
Re: Card Game Playtesting! (Round 1)
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2013, 06:04:34 pm »

Xerxes, I think I PM'd you those properly but can you check?

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2013, 06:09:20 pm »

Ohh noo I'm sure this is waiting on me! I even had things in mind, let me send stuff now.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2013, 06:11:31 pm »

Whoops, I didn't do anything either...

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2013, 06:17:26 pm »

Whoops, I didn't do anything either...
Yeah oops...

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2013, 11:46:52 pm »

So, if I decide to play an Agility 1 move, and I have an agility boost, then I don't have to pay any strength, right?

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2013, 07:59:48 am »

yes, that's correct. Pretty much everyone has sent orders, so we'll move into the next phase in about 5 hours. I'll include whose turn it is to post in the title so you know when you're up, okay?

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2013, 08:01:04 am »

Oh, I just realized I don't have full orders from Archetype.

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2013, 01:01:43 pm »

I made another mistake. Those playing Ash, Ferrus, and Slink get one extra card to look at and may substitute it in into their orders. We will get to the first round, I promise. Just this one thing left. I'll give everyone 24 hours, and then we can proceed.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 01:09:59 pm by XerxesPraelor »
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 19 queries.