Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Dominion Team World Cup Discussion Thread  (Read 28185 times)

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion Team World Cup Discussion Thread
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2013, 03:04:34 am »

That's not automatic translation. That's google trying to tell you exactly what it hears.

That makes an awful lot of sense!

RTT

• Minion
  • Respect: +707
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2013, 04:59:10 am »
+2

I tried watching this with the automatic English subtitles. Well, it obviously didn't work like I wanted it to work (automatic translation, no matter how bad), but it was entertaining enough.  ;D

Edited highlight below.  Is the translation as bad as it looks, or are the non-German speakers just missing out on RTT's fascinating commentary?

Quote from: Youtube
fish be investments shopped adults not much left bundy shop

million-plus in a judgment of touch the clinton

CSS puking should be in disputing

something song company dirty

change my slutty and big money and

classics a sec shemale

Patricia Trish Porter the stick attendance two outs

cock economy

alleged that context scandals song

That's not automatic translation. That's google trying to tell you exactly what it hears. Go on and have another listen and you'll realise - RTT isn't actually speaking German, he's just saying gibberish and Google knows it.

Ah you got me... i´m actully have been talking nonesense about shemales and cock economy ;D

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2013, 05:59:14 pm »
+4

From my most recent match against terminalCopper.

Black Market, Armory, Farming Village, Quarry, Sea Hag, Cache, Hunting Party, Inn, Farmland, Possession (Shelters)

A bit of a slog.  terminalCopper takes Cache on 5/2, which means I get to play Sea Hag more often, but terminalCopper gets 7 Hunting parties (and 5 Provinces).  We end the game with wildly different selections of Victory cards, and I win on turns.

Ambassador, Feodum, Ironworks, Monument, Nomad Camp, Tournament, Band of Misfits, Horn of Plenty, Minion, Rogue

This is the most use I've ever made of Band of Misfits. I grab one on 5/2 and completely ignore Ambassador (which I'm not at all sure about now).  terminalCopper gets down to almost nothing but Tournaments.  I get the first prize and take the Steed to prevent any fancy engine business.  My deck is huge, but terminalCopper is likely to choke, so I grab Feoda and Steed Silver and aim for the long game.

Lighthouse, Urchin, Remake, Silk Road, Catacombs, City, Count, Library, Hoard, Forge

Is it just me who never spots Colonies until halfway through now that they're so rare?  I wouldn't have gone so heavily into Lighthouses (with an eye on Libraries) if I'd seen it straight away.  (The early Hoard would have been a Gold too.)  I get a lot of 4's, and end up with tons of Remakes.  This never works.

University, Menagerie, Shanty Town, Wishing Well, JackOfAllTrades, Salvager, Scavenger, Thief, Outpost, Tribute

Double Jack, and I have two Gold by the end of turn 5.

Poor House, Market Square, Horse Traders, Ironmonger, Ironworks, Remodel, Taxman, Witch, Adventurer, King's Court

terminalCopper puts together a lovely engine that I hadn't really considered.  I flounder.

Beggar, Fishing Village, Warehouse, Ironmonger, Noble Brigand, Remake, Spice Merchant, Tournament, Counting House, Journeyman

This was fun for me at least.  I use Fishing Village and Journeyman to draw my deck.  With such good trashing and draw, two Warehouse slow terminalCopper down.  The late game features a fun Princess/Remake interaction.

terminalCopper

• Explorer
  • Respect: +758
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2013, 06:05:16 pm »
+3

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20131126/log.506872f90cf2795d403d3f0a.1385500176244.txt

The match started with an interesting decision: what do i do with 5-2 on a board with shelters dominated by sea hag and hunting parties? Instead of getting the first HP, getting cache seemed logic to me, as it synergizes with a HP-rush, and coppers aren't that bad here.
I lost the curse split 6-4, but with 7 HP's, i felt well. My opponent started to green earlier than I expected, I managed to get 5 provs - but I miscounted smth,  the score was 30-30: and being first player, I lost.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20131126/log.506872f90cf2795d403d3f0a.1385501617068.txt

In this game I really liked my plan: shorten it with double amb, play tons of tournaments and 4 bands of misfits simulating tournaments as well. Unfortunately, there was a horrible detail I missed: my band of misfits could no longer be played as a tourn once the pile was depleted.
Now, my deck contained a bunch of colliding terminals, and my ambassadors did never see the curse I explicitely gained to give it to my opponent.
He made the best choice gaining Trusty Steed and went for silvers/feodum. But maybe there were many gameplans he could have chosen to beat my misconcepted deck.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20131126/log.506872f90cf2795d403d3f0a.1385502417784.txt

Once again, I got 5-2, but this time, it was enjoyable: my count trashed my deck asap, and it was difficult for my opponent to catch up.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20131126/log.506872f90cf2795d403d3f0a.1385502738299.txt

A pretty boring double jack-BM board. At least, this is what we both played; but maybe,  Stef would have beaten both of us without even thinking about the BM option.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20131126/log.506872f90cf2795d403d3f0a.1385503544627.txt

My favourite one ;) Witch is on board, and my opponent opened horse traders to make sure he gets one in the next shuffle. I prefer to start with ironworks for multiple ironmongers. Instead of getting a second witch, I added Kings Courts and got lucky to hit my only witch for the 3 last curses.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20131126/log.506872f90cf2795d403d3f0a.1385504206040.txt

In the final game, we both opened remake; he added a fishing village, I went for warehouse. This seemed reasonable to me, because Remake could turn estates into fishing villages, and I wanted to play it as often as I can.
It was probably a mistake to get a second warehouse, and my opponent built his engine with impressing speed. Congratulations, qmech!

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2013, 02:25:56 am »
+3

Game 1: e 4-3 hiroki
Code: [Select]
Candlestick Maker, Steward, Bureaucrat, Death Cart, Feodum, Talisman, Wandering Minstrel, Count, Harvest, WitchI open 5-2 and go count/CM, while Hiroki goes steward/WM.  We end up with basically the same decks and 1st player advantage helps me some to end the game on a nice little 3 pile of curses, ruins, and WMs.

Game 2: hiroki 28-33 e
Duchess, Great Hall, Masquerade, Nomad Camp, Talisman, City, Cultist, Inn, Mountebank, ExpandHiroki opens with a 5, buys mountebank.  I open 4, buy nomad camp and get lucky to end up with 5 for a mountebank.  The biggest thing here though, is my decision to go 3 masquerades against his 2.  There are plenty of actions (Inn, cities) so I thought the extra trashing would be really nice.  It was.  Hiroki has a couple unfortunate turns he has to waste without buying anything, and I am able to get way up on cities, which quickly get to level 2.  He has an expand somewhere in his deck so I delay buying the penultimate province and eventually end up 3 piling cities, duchies, and curses. 

Game 3: hiroki 24-33 e
Market Square, Sage, Village, Advisor, Bishop, Marauder, Young Witch, Knights, Pillage, Hoard, Hunting GroundsI open 5 with Sir Discard on top.  I get Sir Discard, and win the slog 3 piling on duchies, estates, and ruins

Game 4: e 71-54 hiroki
Poor House, Apothecary, Sage, Storeroom, Watchtower, Death Cart, Militia, Trader, Counting House, Horn of PlentyNote: shelters.  We both go potion/storeroom.  I end up winning the apothecary split 6-4.  Not much else special

Game 5: e resigns (KC-Margrave-Masquerade trap)
Hermit, Masquerade, Trader, Margrave, Mint, Mountebank, Harem, Expand, King's Court, PeddlerI get to KC first, but hiroki connects KC with an action first and ends up trapping me.  I resign.  I did not want to suffer.  I do not actually know if he would have gone completely all out on the trap, so maybe I should have played it out and hope that he wouldn't (and I would have), but I didn't want to end up there.  With peddler, you can get your deck down to a KC-KC-Margrave-X peddlers-KC-masquerade.  Which means you are able to get your opponent to 0 cards.  Then start buying provinces right away without having to rebuild your economy.  That would have been excruciating though so I resigned before 1) He could do it to me (more likely) or 2) I could work up to doing it to him (less likely).

Game 6: hiroki 34-25 e
Courtyard, Pawn, Philosopher's Stone, Coppersmith, Death Cart, JackOfAllTrades, Plaza, Scout, Festival, SoothsayerFun game.  1st player advantage maybe plays a little into this.  In the end hiroki makes a smart decision to break PPR (I would have tied, not won) even though I would have been perfectly fine with a tie to end the match 4.5-1.5.  I can't buy the province and lose.

In all, good matches.  We did lose one game in the middle where goko quit working.  It was a pretty interesting game. 
Squire, Sage, Scheme, Urchin, Wishing Well, Moneylender, Pirate Ship, Spy, Throne Room, AdventurerNot much to do except Big Money, but then pirate ship was in play which made that strategy not really workable.  I think I had a decent advantage since I got my mercenary well before him, and since goko froze on his turn I will put as a win for me.  ;)
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2013, 02:58:12 am »
+4

Lighthouse, Chancellor, Fortune Teller, Masquerade, Bridge, Coppersmith, Feodum, Plaza, Journeyman, Merchant Ship
Game 1: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20131127/log.50d1a9b7e4b00e9b1242089f.1385586512285.txt

Jdaki and me both go for a big Bridge turn. He has an unfortunate 5/2 opening what puts him quite behind. I can trash more heavily with my 2 Masquerades and am able to win the important Plaza split 6/4. I get 2 Provinces in one turn and he can equalize. In the next turn I can double Province and Duchy. Now both our decks clog up pretty fast and it's only a matter of time until the game ends on a 3-pile and a 40-18 win for me.

Beggar, Moat, Great Hall, Menagerie, Woodcutter, Cutpurse, Treasure Map, Baker, Festival, Forge
Game 2: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20131127/log.50d1a9b7e4b00e9b1242089f.1385587056761.txt

Jdaki goes for a double Treasure Map opening on a weak Baker board what I totally missed. My plan is to get to Forge fast and build a Menagerie engine. I get a pretty good deck, but while he couldn't connect his Treasure Maps early and buys 2 more, he was later able to connect twice. With so many Golds he could outrace me and win 39-29.

Duchess, Great Hall, Village, Cutpurse, Monument, Tournament, Trader, Worker's Village, Stables, Bank
Game 3: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20131127/log.50d1a9b7e4b00e9b1242089f.1385587644851.txt

Again, Jdaki has 5/2 on this Tournament game. He goes for Stables/Duchess while I open Cutpurse/Silver. My intention for Cutpurse was to prevent him getting Gold and Province, but what I didn't took into account was that it's great against Stables. I managed to let him discard his only Copper with a Stables in hand twice. I want to get Stables too, but got $7 twice and took Banks (not the greatest decision as I couldn't get as many Stables as I wanted. Still I manage to get to Provinces in turn 7 and in turn 9. And when I was able to connect one of my 2 Tournaments with one of my 2 Provinces in turn 12 it's basically game over. I get Followers and my third Province. I tried to maintain the lead by getting Duchies what a wise decision as he could get a Princess in turn 16 for a big Province/Duchy turn. But I continue getting Duchies and rushed the game to end by 3-piling Duchies, Estates and Great Halls for a 50-36 win.

Fool's Gold, Vagrant, Doctor, Market Square, Storeroom, Swindler, Watchtower, Salvager, Taxman, Horn of Plenty
Game 4: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20131127/log.50d1a9b7e4b00e9b1242089f.1385589871964.txt

This game leaves me puzzled. I see so many Fool's Gold enablers with Storeroom, Taxman and trashing in Doctor. I fear the Swindler, but go for it anyway and open Taxman/FG. He goes for Market Square/Swindler. I got quite unlucky with my Taxman as he missed the second reshuffle and later only collided with FGs. I have 7 FGs by turn 7. In the next turn he trashes one of my FGs. On my next turn I buy a big Doctor and trash 4 cards. But somehow my deck is still weak. I got 2 Curses from his Swindler, but later I got pretty lucky with his Swindler. He went for Doctor/Market Square which seems to be a thing, but I've never played before. So, he floods his deck with real Golds and gets a much better deck and with his Salvager he could outrace me for a 40-27 win. Feedback on this kingdom is quite welcome.

Transmute, Forager, Loan, Scheme, Coppersmith, Worker's Village, Library, Margrave, Adventurer, Grand Market
Game 5: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20131127/log.50d1a9b7e4b00e9b1242089f.1385590859597.txt

This Colony game was quite frustrating. We both open Forager/Silver. We both went for the engine with Worker's Villages, one Margrave, Forager for trashing and Grand Markets (and a Library as defense) He managed to get a Margrave on his next reshuffle while I didn't. This gave him an earlier Gold and he was just far ahead. I couldn't trash well anymore as he could play his Margrave more often on me as he had time to pick up some Schemes while I had a hard time contesting the Grand Markets. I couldn't catch up from this bad luck and all snowballed to a destroying 86-25 win.

Courtyard, Smugglers, Familiar, Farming Village, Thief, Tournament, Bandit Camp, Graverobber, Highway, Mine
Game 6: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20131127/log.50d1a9b7e4b00e9b1242089f.1385591707725.txt

Familiar board with Tournament. We both open Courtyard/Potion. He gets his Familiar turn 3 while I got mine turn 4 what means it missed the shuffle. In the next shuffle it was again the bottom card in my deck. I fear that I'm far behind. I pick up Bandit Camp on $5s while he got a Highway which I didn't understand (to combo with his Smugglers?). The Spoils helped me to get a Province in turn 10. And with 4 Tournaments in my deck I am able to connect in turn 14. I got Trusty Steed and used it to get the Silvers twice. Not sure how that happend, but we split the Curses 5/5 in the end (maybe his Familiar missed some shuffles too?). But with my second Province in turn 15 (Spoils ftw) I was already far ahead. In turn 18 we both got another Province and turn 21 where I got the Princess for a Province/Duchy turn basically sealed the game. I end up with 6 Provinces and can win 37-13.

Thanks Jdaki for the great series.

Jdaki

• Bishop
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2013, 07:15:48 pm »
+2

Just a few thoughts having watched the games (mostly) from Qvists side (very interesting exercise!) and had a quick perusal of the logs.
Game 1:
5-2 really stunk here for sure. Having had a look over the logs perhaps there was a chance for big money Journeyman and maybe one masquerade to get near half vp before the bridge mega turn, but then, not convinced. I took a bridge over a plaza at some early point, guessing that I would want the +buy if I could get it with money-that didn't happen and for sure being 6-4 down on plazas I pretty much gave up. However I did manage to get both necropolises at somepoint, but gave an additional masquerade to Qvist- I'm always wary of the passing in the end game but looks like Qvist had the optimal number of coppers to always have something rubbish to trade.

Game 2:
Yeah there's really nothing going on here- I'm super impressed by the semi engine that Qvist built, but I was always going to play money and behind a game and in 2nd player went for Treasure maps. I get lucky to collide both sets and am amazed really at how close behind Qvist manages to stay for much of the game- but the forge is always going to run out of fuel without any good gainers.

Game 3:
Man why couldn't it have been witch chapel or something for another 5-2. Stables duchess isn't terrible, but yeah the cutpurse hitting the single-copper-stables hand is mega painful. The only reason I'm vaguely in the game is the monument points, but the early tournament collision by qvist is basically game over (and they seem frankly magnetic to me, but who knows what the odds are)

Game 4:
This is definitely a very (the most?) interesting board with lots of stuff going on which counter each other pretty well. Double swindler will probably beat FG, but get hurt by a few Market-squares. FG has support (which I don't really think about) but there isn't draw- which imo is really important for FG cos otherwise you need to get 3 out of a 5 card hand for a province really. Anyhow I see the market square support as better- aiming to activate it by buying doctor as opposed to play- this is a nice play which I saw a friend in rl play very nicely- you just need the market square in hand with 4 or more coins.
Anyway I pinch a few fools golds as denial and get some nice hands really (I do match the three FG at one point) and activate the market squares a few times. The swindler gets three good hits followed by 2 direct duds on curses that annoys me, but I grab a salvager in the mid game and can happily trash golds and stuff to finish it off after leading throughout. (Qvist grabs an early duchy but just before the reshuffle, that might have been a gold far more usefully, but I don't think it makes much difference in the end)

Game 5:
Clearly a big engine board and yes the early five which is not matched before I get margrave into play gives me a strong lead. My early scheme is definitely super useful throughout the game (doubling up on margrave plays and getting great play from the singular forager) more so than the second forager qvist gets. Also forager doesn't hit copper till kind of late which also hurts qvist I notice from the video. Anyhow despite briefly getting to grand market, my two golds are clearly hugely better than three silvers and double colony turns beckon.

Game 6:
Basically two major bad play from me and a fairly balanced game is lost. The highway is clearly stupid in retrospect (even in the game I regret it) and I smuggle another smugglers for no reason at all. Trusty steed is great in the blocked up decks we have, and Qvist takes it to a draw.

A very good set of games, though a few felt annoyingly decided by early luck (in my favour and in Qvists favour too), but of course it does require continued strong play to build on advantages and we both did that. I'm happy with the draws against top opposition in the tournament. Thanks again to Qvist for the match and the organising.

RobertJ

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2013, 06:04:50 pm »
+2

Comments on Germany v. UK Match 4

Psyduck and I played on Tuesday and I wrote most of this up then. Since then I've had a busy week and have only just got round to finishing it off and posting. Any comments welcome.

Game 1
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20131126/log.505f5ec4a2e6714a97eee844.1385497786579.txt

A Vineyard board although it could do with a more accessible +Buy. I start on the Vineyards early
and eventually win the split 5-3. He gets a couple of Provinces but my 6 point Vineyards are just enough.
Psyduck: 28, RobertJ: 31

Game 2
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20131126/log.505f5ec4a2e6714a97eee844.1385498926186.txt
Vagrant, Woodcutter, Nomad Camp, Band of Misfits, Duke, Ghost Ship, Harvest, Rabble, Treasury, Forge, Colony

We both go for predominantly Ghost Ship and Money. I also pick up a Harvest as a counter of sorts to Ghost Ship. The key question seems to be when and how to green. I dive into the Duchies having lost hope of reliably getting to $11 while he builds up his economy for longer. Eventually the Duchies are evenly split and he has a few Colonies for an comfortable win.
Psyduck: 83, RobertJ: 62

Game 3
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20131126/log.505f5ec4a2e6714a97eee844.1385500245919.txt
Develop, Militia, Noble Brigand, Sea Hag, Wandering Minstrel, Golem, Hunting Party, Mint, Rogue, Hunting Grounds

We both get a 2-5 opening. He goes for Hunting Party while I get Sea Hag. He manages to control the Curses with Develop, wins the Hunting Party split 6-4, and picks up his own Sea Hag later. In Turn 14 I have some kind of brain explosion. I feel as if I need to do something risky as I'm way beheind, and choose to Develop a Hunting Party into a Wandering Minstrel+Hunting Grounds. This is partly to set up a good next turn and partly in the hope of developing the Hunting Grounds into 2 Duchies later. In retrospect I really needed to keep that Hunting Party and everything falls apart from here.
Psyduck: 36, RobertJ: 17

Game 4
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20131126/log.505f5ec4a2e6714a97eee844.1385501216441.txt
Great Hall, Tunnel, Bureaucrat, Nomad Camp, Sea Hag, Silk Road, Taxman, Minion, Grand Market, Peddler

Silk Roads with Great Hall and Tunnel for support. He opens Nomad Camp while I go for Sea Hag. I use my Great Halls to pick up a few cheap Peddlers and build a bit more while he goes hard for Silk Roads. I manage to get a couple of Provinces but it's not quite enough.
Psyduck: 36, RobertJ: 35

Game 5
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20131126/log.505f5ec4a2e6714a97eee844.1385502511114.txt
Lookout, Plaza, Procession, Butcher, Haggler, Knights, Tactician, Tribute, Border Village, Expand, Shelters

This is a crazy board! I can never reisist double Tactician and here I think there is pretty good support for it
with coin tokens and Haggler/Border Village to pick up Butcher fodder. He gets just a single Tactician, more money, and Dame Anna. I probably should have got Processions earlier (among other nice moves, Processioning Butcher and then getting it back with a Border Village thrown in is a neat trick). Other than that I'm pretty happy with how I play this one. There's a moment of concern when he gets a 14 point lead with 2 Provinces left but I've got a big turn coming in which I Expand and Butcher my way to the win.
Psyduck: 26, RobertJ: 33

So we reach the last game with him leading 3-2 and I need a win to get anything out of this match.

Game 6
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20131126/log.505f5ec4a2e6714a97eee844.1385504119675.txt
Cellar, Oasis, Oracle, Swindler, Conspirator, Cartographer, Embassy, Merchant Guild, Rabble, Nobles, Colony

I aim for Conspirator with Oasis, Cellar and Cartographer to help it out. We both get an early Swindler and this stops either of our decks coming together. Swindling also depletes piles and after a while we're both scrambling for points with rather clunky decks. I feel good about my chances right to the end but somehow when it finishes I'm 2 points behind. Grrrr.
Psyduck: 40, RobertJ: 38

Overall a nice match with some interesting boards and several close games. In particular, I reckon Games 1,4 and 6 could easily have gone either way so I'm a bit disappointed not to come away with a draw. However he certainly out-played me in Games 2 and 3 and played well throughout so it's definitely a fair result. Losing in agonising fashion to Germany in other World Cups is practically our national tradition so maybe it's no surprise to see Dominion going the same way!

Thanks Psyduck for a fun set of games and for hosting. Amazingly Goko also behaved itself apart from a few login in problems and minor lagging in one game.

RTT

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2013, 06:22:07 pm »
+3

3 Videos from the Match vs. Rabid are allready uploaded

this is the first game from the playlist

the others are following soon

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2013, 10:29:03 am »
+2

AdamH defeats retlet 4-2

Video playlist link

Game 1: AdamH 41, retlet 24

Game log: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20131201/log.5085f5130cf270038ff92212.1385910700016.txt

Kingdom: Apothecary, Forager, Death Cart, Gardens, Moneylender, Monument, Pirate Ship, Trader, Count, Haggler

Well it's money here, isn't it? We both open Count/nothing on 5/2. He focuses on heavier trashing going into a Death Cart and I focus on playing Monuments. I have a great position throughout and win.

Game 2: retlet 28, AdamH 30

Game log: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20131201/log.5085f5130cf270038ff92212.1385912523234.txt

Kingdom: Apothecary, Fishing Village, Oasis, Storeroom, Mining Village, Taxman, Embassy, Inn, Mint, Tactician, with Shelters

This is by far the most interesting kingdom we played: viable options here include BM+Embassy with no Alt-VP or attacks around, Double Tactician/Storeroom with support, or an Apothecary/Storeroom-based draw engine. Well of course neither of us is playing Big Money :)

I go for Tactician/Storeroom and he goes for the Apothecary engine. Starting on Turn 10 I'm getting a Province every turn with nearly 100% certainty and I get the initiative on greening. I think I have the game in the bag but he starts with Double Province turns and shows no real signs of slowing down. I get in some deep doodoo in the endgame and my only hope is that he stalls twice in a row, essentially, but that's what happens and I squeak out a win.

This game was so fast, both strategies were done very well here with lots of interaction.

Game 3: retlet 30, AdamH 27

Game log: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20131201/log.5085f5130cf270038ff92212.1385913469684.txt

Kingdom: Embargo, Ironmonger, Ironworks, Cartographer, Highway, Hunting Party, Stash, Tribute, Bank, King's Court

With no +Buy and no trashing I decide to play Big Money with basically no support like a doof while he Embargoes all of the money stuff and builds this amazing deck that ends in a KC+Ironworks megaturn with Highway enabling him to Ironworks ALL the Provinces. Well played by him here.

Game 4: AdamH 49, retlet 28

Game log: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20131201/log.5085f5130cf270038ff92212.1385914719430.txt

Kingdom: Fishing Village, Philosopher's Stone, Bureaucrat, Mining Village, Sea Hag, Cartographer, Ill-Gotten Gains, Witch, Nobles, Possession

Lots of ways to curse your opponent here and no trashing, but a draw engine is still viable with Fishing Village, Nobles, and Witch and Cartographer to support, so that's what I go for. He goes for a more sloggish deck with IGGs and appears to be trying to get Phil Stones, but only ends up with one of them. With that being his only chance to get Provinces and my deck being more reliable, I pick up the win here.

Game 5: AdamH 33, retlet 32

Game log: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20131201/log.5085f5130cf270038ff92212.1385916245107.txt

Kingdom: Herbalist, Squire, Doctor, Tunnel, Nomad Camp, Contraband, Explorer, Laboratory, Mine, Hunting Grounds

Well this is the big one. There's a lot of draw here and Squire is the only village. The main difference in the way we build it is that I get a million billion Silvers, which hampers my Doctor trashing a bit. We're going back and forth into the endgame and it gets to where I play poorly (counting?) and allow him to win if he buys the last Duchy and a Tunnel. On his last turn he has the ability to do that but he forgets to play his treasures and ends the game buying only a Duchy.

I feel terrible about the way this ended up, I probably didn't deserve to win it, but misclicks happen and what I sort of wanted to do about it (offer a rematch for this game) isn't feasible for several reasons.

Game 6: retlet 42, AdamH 33

Game log: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20131201/log.5085f5130cf270038ff92212.1385918705881.txt

Kingdom: Courtyard, Doctor, Lookout, Market Square, Urchin, Wandering Minstrel, Band of Misfits, Bandit Camp, Witch, Fairgrounds

All the components are here for a big engine with Fairgrounds around. Six-point Fairgrounds are the thing here. We both collide our Urchins soon, but his is before his shuffle and mine is on Turn 5 so I'm behind here to start off. I gain some ground coming out of it, though, into what I believe is a close endgame. However, I think his Fairgrounds are only worth 4VP each and they're in fact worth 6, so I make an endgame play that was in error and I pay the price for it.

Fun match with some interesting boards, and I'm glad to make the semi-finals. Thanks for the games, retlet!
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2013, 05:53:29 am »
+3

Qvist - e

Video:
(Caution: A lot of frustration ahead)

Candlestick Maker, University, Smugglers, Alchemist, Moneylender, Nomad Camp, Smithy, Mine, Saboteur, Tribute
Game 1: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20131203/log.515f2508e4b09ee2d2aa5c19.1386072814380.txt

One option is to go for Smithy-Big Money. But I feared that an engine that gets Candlestick Makers and amasses Saboteurs with University would outrace BM in the long run. So I went for Alchemists with the option in getting maybe one University. We both opened Potion/CM and e bought University while I could get 2 early Alchemists in turn 4 and 5. In turn 7 e gained a Tribute from his University which I really didn't like. I thought that it might be wise to rush CMs as they would give me longevity and would weaken his Tributes. In turn 13 I was already 2 Provinces ahead and I was felt pretty confident, especially as his turn 14 was terrible when he drew 3 Actions dead with his Smithy. But then he could buy 2 Provinces in 2 turns and I started stalling. Especially, my CMs prevented that Alchemist collided with Potion, although I think it was still unlucky. Instead I amass coin tokens. In turn 17 I buy the 3 Province, but he can Province+Duchy. I'm surprised how well his engine works. With only 2 Provinces left, I only buy a Duchy and keep my tokens. But then he can smuggle my Duchy and buy another one and I stall more and more. In the end my tokens didn't save me and I lose 48-35.

Hamlet, Native Village, Oracle, Tunnel, Armory, Feodum, Trader, Cartographer, Highway, Trading Post
Game 2: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20131203/log.515f2508e4b09ee2d2aa5c19.1386073375457.txt

Don't look so closely here. I totally miss Trader/Feodum here, not sure how or why. In handsight I even missed Cartographer/Tunnel and opened Oracle/Silver to play pure BM. After I realised it in arouns turn 4, I thought about my options. A mirror isn't really possible anymore. So I tried to run out the Feoda to hopefully win the Feoda split. I got two terrible hands then with $9 in one hand and $2 in the next one. I bought a Feodum with $9 and I think this was right. Anyway he could hit $4 in his 4 consecutive turns, so we split them 4/4. Then I was basically toast. I get one trader to get at least some points out of my Feoda and tried to rush Provinces. I got one $7 hand and at the time I could get to $8 he was able to get to Province too. I lose 50-60 with his Feoda being worth 9VP.

Pawn, Squire, Black Market, Oasis, Shanty Town, Watchtower, JackOfAllTrades, Monument, Harvest, Torturer
Game 3: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20131203/log.515f2508e4b09ee2d2aa5c19.1386074559629.txt

Now, I have to play better. Well, here is Torturer, but with Jack and Watchtower and good Jack-support in Oasis and Squire I can't see Torturer working. The question is to either go for a Silver-flood Jack strategy or a more enginey approach by adding Shanty Towns, amassing Squires and adding Watchtower. After I see him opening Black Market, I go for the faster Silver flood, by only getting few Squires and Oases and 2 Jacks and playing pretty straight forward double Jack. e builds an engine and later adds Torturer to it. But he couldn't get enough of them to really make me hurt. He probably should have added more Monuments to make the engine being more worthwhile, but in the end Double Jack was just too fast and I win easily 58-26.

Hermit, Gardens, Mining Village, Rats, Spice Merchant, Worker's Village, Ill-Gotten Gains, Minion, Trading Post, Goons
Game 4: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20131203/log.515f2508e4b09ee2d2aa5c19.1386076077237.txt

Really interesting board here. There is IGG/Gardens, but with Hermit and Trading Post there are good trashers and in Minion and Goons strong attacks. e opens surpringsly to me Rats/Hermit. I mean with Rats Hermit basically can trash Coppers (which are then Rats) out of the discard pile and draw a card, but I really don't want to amass Silvers on this board. I think he tries to get a Goons megaturn with Madman, running out the piles with a lot of buys. And there was the danger. He got 3 Goons and got a lot of Worker's Villages for the buys needed. I went for a Goons megaturn with Minion as pseudo-draw. And I didn't need Rats as there was also Spice Merchant for Copper trashing. My constant discard attacks did hurt his Madman quite a lot and when he let his Madman going crazy, he only had $8 which was not enough to run out Curses, Worker's Villages and Hermits. He did this probably a bit too early. After it didn't work out, the game was basically over as he had no buying power anymore. He tried to hurt me now with IGG, but my deck was stable enough and it was too late anyway. In turn 20 I got 5 Goons in play and with 8 buys I could het 40VP tokens for a 65-19 win.

Courtyard, Great Hall, Oasis, Village, Wishing Well, Island, Worker's Village, Young Witch, Cultist, Pillage, Border Village
Game 5: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20131203/log.515f2508e4b09ee2d2aa5c19.1386076602035.txt

He has a 5/2 opening on this Cultist board with no trashing which was pretty unfortunate for me. I opened YW/Silver and then contested Cultists. I lose the Ruins split 3/7. I then tried to get back with getting Golds and being able to get to Province, but I kept getting $5 over and over again. e had basically no money in his deck and rushed Islands. What I didn't see to that point is that 3-piling is in danger with Ruins and Islands running out and only 2 Cultists left. D'oh, how could I miss that. Well, I noticed it waaay to late and lost stupidly 11-15. Again, a stupid oversight costs me a game.

Storeroom, Monument, Salvager, Taxman, Wandering Minstrel, Royal Seal, Trading Post, Treasury, Venture, King's Court
Game 6: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20131203/log.515f2508e4b09ee2d2aa5c19.1386077230126.txt

Well, this is clearly King's Court+Monument. We both open Salvager/Silver, but I went for Treasury with $5 or $6 while e got a Trading Post. e was getting really unlucky not hitting $5 in the following turns while I kept getting Treasuries. I got to KCs in turn 7 and turn 8 already and I was far ahead. He had a thinner deck, but I could then KC+Salvager and amassing Monuments. After the turn he could KC+Monument the first time, I ended the game already by piling out Treasuries and Monuments for a solid 45-3 win.

This series was totally two-sided. I was so unconcentrated and did play worse since a while, but still I'm thankful to get at least a tie. Thanks e for the games.

yed

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: yed
  • Respect: +571
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2013, 07:44:59 am »
+1

Candlestick Maker, University, Smugglers, Alchemist, Moneylender, Nomad Camp, Smithy, Mine, Saboteur, Tribute
Game 1: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20131203/log.515f2508e4b09ee2d2aa5c19.1386072814380.txt

One option is to go for Smithy-Big Money. But I feared that an engine that gets Candlestick Makers and amasses Saboteurs with University would outrace BM in the long run. So I went for Alchemists with the option in getting maybe one University. We both opened Potion/CM and e bought University while I could get 2 early Alchemists in turn 4 and 5. In turn 7 e gained a Tribute from his University which I really didn't like. I thought that it might be wise to rush CMs as they would give me longevity and would weaken his Tributes. In turn 13 I was already 2 Provinces ahead and I was felt pretty confident, especially as his turn 14 was terrible when he drew 3 Actions dead with his Smithy. But then he could buy 2 Provinces in 2 turns and I started stalling. Especially, my CMs prevented that Alchemist collided with Potion, although I think it was still unlucky. Instead I amass coin tokens. In turn 17 I buy the 3 Province, but he can Province+Duchy. I'm surprised how well his engine works. With only 2 Provinces left, I only buy a Duchy and keep my tokens. But then he can smuggle my Duchy and buy another one and I stall more and more. In the end my tokens didn't save me and I lose 48-35.
I think you should have bought second Potion instead of that many CMs.

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2013, 08:33:47 am »
+1

Qvist - e

I also wanted to go alchemists, but was forced to get university on T3 when I drew ccepCM.  My decision to gain tribute was based on the fact that I knew he would have an action heavy deck because of the copper trashing from moneylender.  I was most interested in the +2 actions that I could get because I knew that I would need Smithy to help with my draw.  I pick up the early smuggler thinking that he will get a university and I might be able to smuggle something.  It was basically a dead card in my hand until late, when I am able to smuggle a duchy (the only thing I smuggle all game).  I was also pleasantly surprised at how well my engine worked, and I was able to catch up much faster than I anticipated and pull out the win.

Hamlet, Native Village, Oracle, Tunnel, Armory, Feodum, Trader, Cartographer, Highway, Trading Post
Game 2: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20131203/log.515f2508e4b09ee2d2aa5c19.1386073375457.txt

Don't look so closely here. I totally miss Trader/Feodum here, not sure how or why. In handsight I even missed Cartographer/Tunnel and opened Oracle/Silver to play pure BM. After I realised it in arouns turn 4, I thought about my options. A mirror isn't really possible anymore. So I tried to run out the Feoda to hopefully win the Feoda split. I got two terrible hands then with $9 in one hand and $2 in the next one. I bought a Feodum with $9 and I think this was right. Anyway he could hit $4 in his 4 consecutive turns, so we split them 4/4. Then I was basically toast. I get one trader to get at least some points out of my Feoda and tried to rush Provinces. I got one $7 hand and at the time I could get to $8 he was able to get to Province too. I lose 50-60 with his Feoda being worth 9VP.
I saw trader/feodum and immediately thought I would lose since I was 2nd player.  He misses it, and I win.  I did get perfect draws for the combo as well, with my traders never colliding (until after the silvers were almost gone when I could trash a trader for 4 silvers) and being able to buy feuda every turn when Qvist started to try to run that pile out on me.

Pawn, Squire, Black Market, Oasis, Shanty Town, Watchtower, JackOfAllTrades, Monument, Harvest, Torturer
Game 3: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20131203/log.515f2508e4b09ee2d2aa5c19.1386074559629.txt

Now, I have to play better. Well, here is Torturer, but with Jack and Watchtower and good Jack-support in Oasis and Squire I can't see Torturer working. The question is to either go for a Silver-flood Jack strategy or a more enginey approach by adding Shanty Towns, amassing Squires and adding Watchtower. After I see him opening Black Market, I go for the faster Silver flood, by only getting few Squires and Oases and 2 Jacks and playing pretty straight forward double Jack. e builds an engine and later adds Torturer to it. But he couldn't get enough of them to really make me hurt. He probably should have added more Monuments to make the engine being more worthwhile, but in the end Double Jack was just too fast and I win easily 58-26.

I see some good stuff in the black market, and forget how fast double-jack is.  Black market strategies tend to be better for longer games, and double-jack was just too fast.  I start trying to do a little something with monument and torturer, but it never really works and I can't catch up.

[/center]
Hermit, Gardens, Mining Village, Rats, Spice Merchant, Worker's Village, Ill-Gotten Gains, Minion, Trading Post, Goons
Game 4: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20131203/log.515f2508e4b09ee2d2aa5c19.1386076077237.txt

Really interesting board here. There is IGG/Gardens, but with Hermit and Trading Post there are good trashers and in Minion and Goons strong attacks. e opens surpringsly to me Rats/Hermit. I mean with Rats Hermit basically can trash Coppers (which are then Rats) out of the discard pile and draw a card, but I really don't want to amass Silvers on this board. I think he tries to get a Goons megaturn with Madman, running out the piles with a lot of buys. And there was the danger. He got 3 Goons and got a lot of Worker's Villages for the buys needed. I went for a Goons megaturn with Minion as pseudo-draw. And I didn't need Rats as there was also Spice Merchant for Copper trashing. My constant discard attacks did hurt his Madman quite a lot and when he let his Madman going crazy, he only had $8 which was not enough to run out Curses, Worker's Villages and Hermits. He did this probably a bit too early. After it didn't work out, the game was basically over as he had no buying power anymore. He tried to hurt me now with IGG, but my deck was stable enough and it was too late anyway. In turn 20 I got 5 Goons in play and with 8 buys I could het 40VP tokens for a 65-19 win.
Surprising is being too kind for how I opened this board.  More like "e was really dumb when he opened rats/hermit."  I was thinking rats is fun, hermit can trash my rats, blah, blah, blah.  It didn't work.  Well, it worked for a little while as I was building, but then I started having small hands.  Qvist does a great job with minion/goons/village (workers or mining) and easily wins.

Courtyard, Great Hall, Oasis, Village, Wishing Well, Island, Worker's Village, Young Witch, Cultist, Pillage, Border Village
Game 5: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20131203/log.515f2508e4b09ee2d2aa5c19.1386076602035.txt

He has a 5/2 opening on this Cultist board with no trashing which was pretty unfortunate for me. I opened YW/Silver and then contested Cultists. I lose the Ruins split 3/7. I then tried to get back with getting Golds and being able to get to Province, but I kept getting $5 over and over again. e had basically no money in his deck and rushed Islands. What I didn't see to that point is that 3-piling is in danger with Ruins and Islands running out and only 2 Cultists left. D'oh, how could I miss that. Well, I noticed it waaay to late and lost stupidly 11-15. Again, a stupid oversight costs me a game.
Not only was it 5/2 vs 4/3 on the cultist board, but I was first player as well.  There is absolutely no trashing this game, so I decide that my "trashing" will be islands.  And since the only real +cards are cultist and courtyard, Qvist has almost no choice but to follow me in getting cultists leaving that pile pretty empty.  I disagree with the fact that the oversight of the 3-pile cost Qvist the game.  Had he ignored cultists to avoid getting that pile low, he would not have had the draw necessary with all the junk that he had.  Had he ignored islands and begun to just buy money his deck would have been too clogged to get anywhere fast.  I had fewer junk cards in my deck and I would have easily been able to deviate from my 3 pile plan to buy some money and get provinces.  I won because of the lucky 5-2 with first player advantage.

Storeroom, Monument, Salvager, Taxman, Wandering Minstrel, Royal Seal, Trading Post, Treasury, Venture, King's Court
Game 6: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20131203/log.515f2508e4b09ee2d2aa5c19.1386077230126.txt

Well, this is clearly King's Court+Monument. We both open Salvager/Silver, but I went for Treasury with $5 or $6 while e got a Trading Post. e was getting really unlucky not hitting $5 in the following turns while I kept getting Treasuries. I got to KCs in turn 7 and turn 8 already and I was far ahead. He had a thinner deck, but I could then KC+Salvager and amassing Monuments. After the turn he could KC+Monument the first time, I ended the game already by piling out Treasuries and Monuments for a solid 45-3 win.
Yeah.  KC-monument.  The trading post was the mistake that cost me the game.  Just a really bad mistake.  Treasury is clearly better.  I also make a mistake picking up storeroom when I do.  And as with any KC game, once Qvist got the advantage it was over in a landslide.

This series was totally two-sided. I was so unconcentrated and did play worse since a while, but still I'm thankful to get at least a tie. Thanks e for the games.

In all, I really enjoyed playing even though neither of us played that great of a match.  I got luckier over the course of the match and made more small tactical errors, while Qvist made one big tactical error and but played a little better over the course of the games.  As always, thanks for the games
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2013, 10:19:35 am »

I think you should have bought second Potion instead of that many CMs.

Yeah, that's what I thought in the rewatch too.

In all, I really enjoyed playing even though neither of us played that great of a match.  I got luckier over the course of the match and made more small tactical errors, while Qvist made one big tactical error and but played a little better over the course of the games.  As always, thanks for the games

Nice summary.  :D

zporiri

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: zporiri
  • Go, and do likewise.
  • Respect: +130
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2013, 05:52:49 pm »
+4

TerminalCopper (Germany) defeats zporiri (USA B) 4-2

Fishing Village, Forager, Philosopher's Stone, Ironmonger, Scout, Counterfeit, Ghost Ship, Mine, Adventurer, Grand Market
zporiri 43 - terminal copper 21
I thought about going mine into GM's, but figured counterfit does it much better since it provides you $3 instead of $2 when trashing coppers. I really don't want many fishing villages here with the only draw being ghost ship (only being +2). i pick up iron mongers for the actions, knowing my deck will be eventually all actions and i want the cantrip draw (so basically, in this game i think vanilla village is better than fishing village-not many times you can say that lol. anyone agree/disagree?). he gets up and going faster than me and gets out to a 3-1 GM lead, but once my deck gets going it is unhurt by ghost ships and i win the GM split 6-4 and eventually the game.

Duchess, Tunnel, Nomad Camp, Plaza, Salvager, Young Witch, Cartographer, Merchant Ship, Rebuild, Stables, Vault

terminalcopper 24 - zporiri 23
I really feel like I deserve to win this one. I do get the 5/2 split and open rebuild/duchess. i figure duchess will help economy which can struggle to get to $5 in rebuild games. i ignore tunnels at first; winning the duchy split is far more important. i end up winning the duchy split 6-2. i am in control, but lose on a 3 pile to do all the duchesses i was taking. i was aware it could be a problem, but i lost really unuckily. on his second to last turn he is able to rebuild duchy into province, and then salvage a rebuild and buy a province, turning his 8 point deficit into a 1 point lead. i buy an estate to tie, and there is one duchess and two piles gone. on his next turn, he has no cash but gets his other salvager and trashes a young witch and buys an estate to win buy one. it was annoying cuz there were some turns i didnt take a duchess, but if i had i couldve 3 piled sooner. also annoying because the only way he wins is if he picks up his salvager on each of hist last two turns. but i guess you make your own shuffle luck lol.

Herbalist, JackOfAllTrades, Wandering Minstrel, Cultist, Horn of Plenty, Mystic, Pillage, Torturer, Vault, Bank
terminal copper 43 - zporiri 36
I thought about a tortuerer chain, but with cutlist on the board and the only trashing being JOAT which simultaneously gives you silvers which doesnt help in engines and can't trash coppers, i decided to go more or less cultist BM, as does my opponent. he gets $5 more often in the beginning, and that's all she wrote.

Warehouse, Bureaucrat, JackOfAllTrades, Militia, Mining Village, Thief, Worker's Village, Saboteur, Trading Post, Vault
terminal copper 48 - zporiri 30
A BM game with a decent amount of options. I choose to go trading post over JOAT, hoping to rid my deck of coppers and flood with silvers but it doesnt work as well as id hope. JOAT was definitely better here, which my opponent did. i greened sooner than i wanted to, but i needed to keep up with my opponent. i was outplayed here.

Chapel, Moat, Apothecary, Tunnel, Noble Brigand, Plaza, Quarry, Silk Road, Worker's Village, Fairgrounds
zporiri 63 - terminal copper 56
I love me some alternate victory. I almost always go alternate victory (and as a result I can adjust my clocks extremely well), and this board was begging for it. Extremely weak board (only 5+ is fairgrounds) and a cheap kingdom victory card (tunnel) to go with silk roads. i was extremely surprised to see my opponent do something else (apothecary engine), since i dont think there is anyway it can run out all the provinces on its own. very early on i pick up SR with $4, and silver or copper with $3 or less. NB doesnt help too much since my opponent bought more coppers than silver or gold. i thought i was going to get 6 SRs, but my opponent gets $8 and 2 buys to get the last two. 5-3 turned out to be enough, but it made me nervous not getting 6 of them. after SR are gone, i buy tunnels and estates for the 3 pile.

Embargo, Lighthouse, Sage, Herald, Moneylender, Quarry, Spice Merchant, Treasure Map, Junk Dealer, Margrave

terminal copper 45 - zporiri 36
an extremely interesting end game, and if you only read one of these logs, make it this one. i thought about a herald type engine, but thought the necessary trashing would take to long. im afraid my opponent might go for this, so i open embargo and embaro herald (shouldve just been a silver in hindsight). i basically go margave BM, but he greens so fast that i dont get as many golds or margraves that i would like. he trashed more than me so i thought i was more equipped for a long haul, but his deck was better. anyways, there were some intresting buys at the end, i think my opponent shouldve bought an estate over a province at one point. anyways, i get a double buy and get the last two estates to go down by 5 with the only VP left on the board in the last province (duchies and estates are gone). my opponent brilliantly starts getting lots of embargoes, knowing if he can get 1 on province he will win (i went first).

good series, and thanks to terminal copper! really bummed i didnt get at least a tie here, that rebuild game will eat away at me for the rest of the day :P

here are the logs:
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20131204/log.516d4ab2e4b082c74d7b8473.1386192004507.txt
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20131204/log.516d4ab2e4b082c74d7b8473.1386192612292.txt
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20131204/log.516d4ab2e4b082c74d7b8473.1386193188509.txt
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20131204/log.516d4ab2e4b082c74d7b8473.1386193728967.txt
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20131204/log.516d4ab2e4b082c74d7b8473.1386194770999.txt
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20131204/log.516d4ab2e4b082c74d7b8473.1386195655866.txt
Go, and do likewise.

terminalCopper

• Explorer
  • Respect: +758
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2013, 04:16:44 am »
+4

I always find it very interesting to see my opponents views on our games! The comments I add here were written independently.

TerminalCopper (Germany) defeats zporiri (USA B) 4-2

Fishing Village, Forager, Philosopher's Stone, Ironmonger, Scout, Counterfeit, Ghost Ship, Mine, Adventurer, Grand Market
zporiri 43 - terminal copper 21
I thought about going mine into GM's, but figured counterfit does it much better since it provides you $3 instead of $2 when trashing coppers. I really don't want many fishing villages here with the only draw being ghost ship (only being +2). i pick up iron mongers for the actions, knowing my deck will be eventually all actions and i want the cantrip draw (so basically, in this game i think vanilla village is better than fishing village-not many times you can say that lol. anyone agree/disagree?). he gets up and going faster than me and gets out to a 3-1 GM lead, but once my deck gets going it is unhurt by ghost ships and i win the GM split 6-4 and eventually the game.

We both ghost-shipped regularly, the second phase of the game was determined by the race for grand markets. I saw too late how crucial the number of stop cards is if you start with 3 cards every time. I should have trashed slightly harder, and should have bought ironmongers instead of fishing villages or gold ... Bad start.

Duchess, Tunnel, Nomad Camp, Plaza, Salvager, Young Witch, Cartographer, Merchant Ship, Rebuild, Stables, Vault

terminalcopper 24 - zporiri 23
I really feel like I deserve to win this one. I do get the 5/2 split and open rebuild/duchess. i figure duchess will help economy which can struggle to get to $5 in rebuild games. i ignore tunnels at first; winning the duchy split is far more important. i end up winning the duchy split 6-2. i am in control, but lose on a 3 pile to do all the duchesses i was taking. i was aware it could be a problem, but i lost really unuckily. on his second to last turn he is able to rebuild duchy into province, and then salvage a rebuild and buy a province, turning his 8 point deficit into a 1 point lead. i buy an estate to tie, and there is one duchess and two piles gone. on his next turn, he has no cash but gets his other salvager and trashes a young witch and buys an estate to win buy one. it was annoying cuz there were some turns i didnt take a duchess, but if i had i couldve 3 piled sooner. also annoying because the only way he wins is if he picks up his salvager on each of hist last two turns. but i guess you make your own shuffle luck lol.
This was a WEIRD rebuild game!
Rebuilds naming tunnels are a well-known gold machine; throw in a salvager, and I think it becomes superior to the usual duchy racing, as you can directly buy multiple provinces with golds or salvaged golds.
Given this concrete plan I had in mind, I really don't know what made me open "YoungWitch-Tunnel". I better should have maximized the chance for rebuild on T3/T4; instead of this, I only got rebuild on T7. My opponent had 2 rebuilds and three duchies at that point (He kinda followed the classic duchy-race-plan).
Thus, my initial plan was terribly slowed down. Furthermore, my rebuild plays always hit another green card before discarding tunnels (I didn't get a single gold with my rebuild-tunnel-gold-machine in the whole game). Meaningwhile, my opponent had won the duchy split 6-2 ... shall I resign?

Then, a miracle happened. I got two lucky moves and finished one point ahead. We both couldn't believe it.

Herbalist, JackOfAllTrades, Wandering Minstrel, Cultist, Horn of Plenty, Mystic, Pillage, Torturer, Vault, Bank
terminal copper 43 - zporiri 36
I thought about a tortuerer chain, but with cutlist on the board and the only trashing being JOAT which simultaneously gives you silvers which doesnt help in engines and can't trash coppers, i decided to go more or less cultist BM, as does my opponent. he gets $5 more often in the beginning, and that's all she wrote.
Look at this board. Mystics-Jack, anyone? We both didn't dare to do so in the presence of those mighty cultists and prefered a simple Cultist-BM-mirror. Guess I was simply luckier here.

Warehouse, Bureaucrat, JackOfAllTrades, Militia, Mining Village, Thief, Worker's Village, Saboteur, Trading Post, Vault
terminal copper 48 - zporiri 30
A BM game with a decent amount of options. I choose to go trading post over JOAT, hoping to rid my deck of coppers and flood with silvers but it doesnt work as well as id hope. JOAT was definitely better here, which my opponent did. i greened sooner than i wanted to, but i needed to keep up with my opponent. i was outplayed here.

Another money mirror. I think it should be double jack or jack/vault, but here's a funny anecdote: My opponent got militia in T2, and I thought to myself "Great, I'll get another Jack to counter Militia!" ... and clicked Militia. I should get more sleep...
Luckily, my opponent purchased two trading posts, and so, my accidental militia becomes a power card.

Chapel, Moat, Apothecary, Tunnel, Noble Brigand, Plaza, Quarry, Silk Road, Worker's Village, Fairgrounds
zporiri 63 - terminal copper 56
I love me some alternate victory. I almost always go alternate victory (and as a result I can adjust my clocks extremely well), and this board was begging for it. Extremely weak board (only 5+ is fairgrounds) and a cheap kingdom victory card (tunnel) to go with silk roads. i was extremely surprised to see my opponent do something else (apothecary engine), since i dont think there is anyway it can run out all the provinces on its own. very early on i pick up SR with $4, and silver or copper with $3 or less. NB doesnt help too much since my opponent bought more coppers than silver or gold. i thought i was going to get 6 SRs, but my opponent gets $8 and 2 buys to get the last two. 5-3 turned out to be enough, but it made me nervous not getting 6 of them. after SR are gone, i buy tunnels and estates for the 3 pile.

Interesting one, imho. chapel-BM is impossible because of Noble Brigand. Silk Road synergizes with tunnel - but is that enough  without any support? No tunnel discarder, no gainer, even no possibility to get two estates in one turn? My opponent went for SilkRoads-Tunnels-Estates anyway.
I prefered to chapel my estates and build an apothecary engine, with the lovely support of Workers Villages (I don't need +actions, but I need cantrips and +buy!).
Now, here's the problem: Apothecary is probably THE card in dominion I understand the least. Furthermore,  I haven't been forced to get 8 provinces with apothecary yet. I tried my very best, but my decisions were certainly suboptimal in many situations.

Embargo, Lighthouse, Sage, Herald, Moneylender, Quarry, Spice Merchant, Treasure Map, Junk Dealer, Margrave

terminal copper 45 - zporiri 36
an extremely interesting end game, and if you only read one of these logs, make it this one. i thought about a herald type engine, but thought the necessary trashing would take to long. im afraid my opponent might go for this, so i open embargo and embaro herald (shouldve just been a silver in hindsight). i basically go margave BM, but he greens so fast that i dont get as many golds or margraves that i would like. he trashed more than me so i thought i was more equipped for a long haul, but his deck was better. anyways, there were some intresting buys at the end, i think my opponent shouldve bought an estate over a province at one point. anyways, i get a double buy and get the last two estates to go down by 5 with the only VP left on the board in the last province (duchies and estates are gone). my opponent brilliantly starts getting lots of embargoes, knowing if he can get 1 on province he will win (i went first).

My opponent embargoed heralds asap, so the engine was no more possible. My first idea was "Ok, it will be margrave-BM, then". My secondary thought was "But wait, let me do some strong trashing first (moneylender, junk dealer)". But once my deck was thinned, I realized that I had like 25% action cards, and due to the risk of drawing them dead I preferred gold over margrave. Not really a fascinating masterplan, but I managed to get some provs quickly and won by a nose.

good series, and thanks to terminal copper! really bummed i didnt get at least a tie here, that rebuild game will eat away at me for the rest of the day :P

I will tell my grandchildren about it :)

Zappie

• Thief
  • Respect: +44
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2013, 06:28:16 pm »
+2

Semifinals, Netherlands - Japan
Victor Savenije  - Manzi
3-3

On beforehand I knew this match going to be (even more) diffult, as Manzi rating is quite a bit higher than mine, so I could say that i am proud to have tied this series up after a 3-1 deficit. But as always after a game of dominion, especially when featuring an uncommon board (which are actually pretty common) - I search for what could I have done better.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20131207/log.50d085aee4b0a0d319a7bfe3.1386429983061.txt
This started immidiatly with a very, very weird board, just look at that ugly looking VP graph. Good 5's like city and catacombs, but we both realised that buying them would be a mistake. With Farming village, warehouse and smugglers this board started out very weird. It was race to the card that can't be smuggled - Kings court.
In the end it looked like i was surely going to win. Without +buy on board I was very carefull, and did not gain from piles ready to be depleted so they can't be piledroven by KC smugglers. But then...
... He KC-smuggles the saboteurs, and plays his one city that now has +buy for the win.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20131207/log.50d085aee4b0a0d319a7bfe3.1386430955167.txt
whoever wins the post prizes wins right? I can happily say no altough this board does prove the golden rule:
whoever gets KC first, wins

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20131207/log.50d085aee4b0a0d319a7bfe3.1386432448931.txt
I did make a few big mistakes here. T3 Chapel in hand with 3 coppers + other terminal... that's probably where you just have to trust your rationality instead of feelings and play that chapel.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20131207/log.50d085aee4b0a0d319a7bfe3.1386433243363.txt
BM'ish here. Trade route is bad then right? apparently not...
And another thing, how to counter such play? Buy less or more maruaders?  2 views: give junk that he is prepared for / junk him so hard that whatever thin deck he has planned doesn't work out.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20131207/log.50d085aee4b0a0d319a7bfe3.1386435290809.txt
he skipped familiar for soothsayers - which provided a 8-2 split - possibly inrecoverable.
Again, mistakes... Forgot that you can overpay stonemason with 3P

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20131207/log.50d085aee4b0a0d319a7bfe3.1386436870993.txt
nice finisher for this series, and I cound't resist winning this game with exactly 1 point, 7-6
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 06:33:56 pm by Zappie »

-Stef-

• 2012 & 2016 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2013, 11:56:11 am »
+7

Japan - Netherlands
Dawn Harbor - Stef
1-5

Loan, Coppersmith, Rats, Remake, Remodel, Cartographer, Count, Mandarin, Witch, Farmland
The general idea here is straight forward: clean up with remake and/or loan, sift with cartographer and then just get green cards. But do you add Count, Remodel or Rats? And how do you tweak the numbers? Is a which worth the trouble, and if so: when do you get it?
We had an identical good start, opening remake/silver and then drawing remake with 2 estates and 2 coppers.
On turn 4 he spend $5 on a Count, which I had considered for a while on my turn 4. But I love fooling around for a bit, so I spend $6 on a Rat.
It's the kind of move that makes you look ridiculous if it fails, but hey, today it did work.
After that the game somewhat played itself. I think I got Witch at the right moment, and my draws were pretty solid I should say.
Then again, rats into cartographers tends to do that for you.

Lookout, Shanty Town, Fortress, Ironmonger, Hunting Party, Ill-Gotten Gains, Merchant Guild, Mystic, Tactician, Venture
An interesting engine where you clearly want to go double tact with some Merchant Guilds. But where do you start?
Do you want a quick tactician, or trash down first, or get the other cards first?
We had quite different plans here. I opened lookout/Ironmonger to his Shanty town/Ironmonger.
I didn't even consider that, maybe I should have, but I was in doubt between lookout and Silver.
Silver isn't that bad if you want to play single tact for a while before adding the second.
Anyway, he went for a quick tactician and I got some other stuff first. We arrived at double tact just about at the same moment, but I was slightly ahead and could take the game eventually.

Stonemason, Urchin, Philosopher's Stone, Bishop, Conspirator, Scavenger, Scout, Laboratory, Hoard, King's Court
This one I got outplayed. It's sort of the same theme - clear where you want to end up but how do you get there?
He opened Silver/Bishop to my Urchin/Scavenger. He got labs reliable and by the time I got the mercenary it didn't really hurt him anymore.

University, Smugglers, Alchemist, Conspirator, Herald, Worker's Village, Festival, Ghost Ship, Merchant Ship, Witch
This was the least interesting one. Sort of a slog and I won it because of luck in the opening. I open Smuggler/Potion, and he gets $2/$5 for a Witch. I smuggle that on turn 3, and then he draws his Witch on turn 4 (which is incredibly much worse then t3).

Fool's Gold, Herbalist, Vagrant, Doctor, Lookout, Shanty Town, Worker's Village, Contraband, Saboteur, Goons
This is a funny game. I want to play with fool's gold, but with goons around it's not going to be a traditional race. In fact, I don't want to green at all and I'm not that interested in winning any split. He opens $4/$3 for doctor/Fool's gold, which is what I wanted too. But with my $3/$4 I hoped to get a more opportune moment for the doctor and went Fools Gold/Workers Village. Turn 3 proved this wasn't going to work out, so I just got a doctor there for $4.
I thought I was losing badly for a long time, but then we get to turn 14. No cards left in my deck, I'm holding copper, estate, fool's gold, workers village and doctor. I get hit by the Goons and decide to discard my best cards (fool's gold and workers village). This way the doctor can trigger a reshuffle and hope for the best. The doctor himself turns into a miracle worker, finding all 3 remaining coppers in my deck. That sure was some fabulous luck at work. Now this shuffle is so nice that the turn after that I could get 3 goons in play with 8 buys.

Loan, Feodum, Ironworks, Militia, Plaza, Apprentice, Junk Dealer, Market, Mint, Torturer
Yet another game where you clearly want an engine but don't immediately see how to start it up. We start similar but I fall behind pretty badly.
On turn 12, he has $11 with 2 buys. If he goes Mint-Gold now I think the game is over, but he takes Gold-Market. Not bad either of course, but it leaves a bit more junk behind in his deck. He gets punished horribly by a series of bad draws right when the torturers are distributing curses and all of a sudden I'm miles ahead.

Thanks for the match Dawn Harbor, lots of good games.
Join the Dominion League!

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2013, 12:08:20 pm »
+4

USA Team B vs. Germany, seat 4 match

AdamH 3, Psyduck 3

Video Playlist

Game 1: Psyduck 38, AdamH 45

Kingdom: Lighthouse, Shanty Town, Nomad Camp, Taxman, Contraband, Count, Counterfeit, Junk Dealer, Merchant Ship, Hoard

Game log: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20131207/log.5085f5130cf270038ff92212.1386436948691.txt

Counterfeit/Hoard is a thing. It's not exactly trivial to play, though. I open with a Lighthouse for a little bit of protection aganst Taxman, and I add in a Nomad Camp to supplement. With another $2 turn I immediately regret the Lighthouse. Psyduck goes for strong trashing with Count, which I actually quite like here. I don't quite understand his early Shanty Town with this play, but I think the big thing here is when he misread the text on Hoard and Counterfeit-ed one. I end up with a good endgame position and I take down the win.

Game 2: AdamH 44, Psyduck 40

Kingdom: Tunnel, Urchin, Island, Mining Village, Rats, Scavenger, Minion, Pillage, Royal Seal, Tactician, with Shelters

Game log: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20131207/log.5085f5130cf270038ff92212.1386438910556.txt

Oh no! A Tunnel board! Tunnel counters everything about the engine you want to build here, so I (my deck, really) decide(s) to go for it and contest the Minions. This game proves to be swingy as heck, but I end up winning. I got really emotional about this game and I tend to do that with Minion games. I should probably try to not do that.

Game 3: AdamH 55, Psyduck 25

Kingdom: Transmute, Apothecary, Masterpiece, Bridge, Ironmonger, Counterfeit, Cultist, Embassy, Saboteur, Stash

Game log: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20131207/log.5085f5130cf270038ff92212.1386440224162.txt

We both open 5/2 on this board, and Cultist ruins the day of anyone trying to build the engine here (see what I did there?). So it seems that vanilla Cultist/Counterfeit with one or two big Masterpieces is the way to go. He opts for a couple of Transmutes (not Apothecaries if I remember our chat correctly) but they never collide with Ruins and I didn't think they were worth the time. I take a commanding lead due to my opponent's seemingly terrible draws and am able to three-pile before Saboteur can even think about making a comeback possible.

Game 4: Psyduck 66, AdamH 35

Kingdom: Courtyard, Crossroads, Develop, Procession, Silk Road, Throne Room, Walled Village, Cultist, Trading Post, Harem

Game log: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20131207/log.5085f5130cf270038ff92212.1386442124740.txt

Some interesting weird things happen here. Procession and Throne Room are both present and play completely differently here, AND you need them both! Ruined Market and Walled Village both turn out to actually be useful. Procession and Walled Village is a COMBO! Well anyways I get behind early here and can't catch up. My opponent plays really well here, and the deck is very interesting even with Cultist to ruin your day. Unfortunately with Crossroads around he is able to pile Provinces too quickly for me to have time to catch up.

Game 5: Psyduck 45, AdamH 32

Kingdom: Pawn, Pearl Diver, Fortune Teller, Masterpiece, Baron, Feast, Count, Inn, Jester, Merchant Guild

Game log: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20131207/log.5085f5130cf270038ff92212.1386443065117.txt

There's no draw on this board, which makes me very sad. I play Baron and Count with big money and this game cements my irrational hatred of Baron+BM along with Envoy+BM. People seem to think that these are good and I just hate them, they never work out for me. Anyways, Psyduck plays better than me and wins because you make your own shuffle luck, but he thins down with Count and uses Masterpiece to flood with Silver and pwns me.

Game 6: AdamH 29, Psyduck 31

Kingdom: Vagrant, Develop, Oasis, Swindler, Bureaucrat, Navigator, Market, Trading Post, Tribute, Peddler

Game log: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20131207/log.5085f5130cf270038ff92212.1386444313162.txt

Peddler counters Swindler here hardcore, so neither of us go for it with Oasis and Market as enablers. It seems I had a better deck in the end but I stalled harder. It must have been because of some unfortunate reshuffles I triggered or something, but I'm not sure what I should have done about it.

Overall I'm happy I got the play the match and I'm happy I did sort-of well. Psyduck was a very friendly opponent and I'm glad we got to chat for a bit after each game. My only regret is that I didn't get to build any big engines this match, but I'll be rooting for Germany in the finals! Good luck, guys!

Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

RTT

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2013, 05:34:35 pm »
+3

Videos from my games with mehtods of rationality are uploaded.

At this point i want to say that i feel sorry to warrior that we were not able to play over the week. Without the time difference it wouldnt have been a big deal that warrior wasnt able to play befor 5pm but with me beeing 9 hrs ahead it was.

So I won the match vs. methods 5:1 (even starting with an embarrassing loss) but it didnt quite feel like a win.

Congrats for all of Team USA B for reaching the Semifinals at the first point and beeing a super nice opponent in this tournament.

See you next time in the finals ;)

Psyduck

• Bishop
  • Respect: +135
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2013, 06:27:56 pm »
+1

USA Team B vs. Germany, seat 4 match

Overall I'm happy I got the play the match and I'm happy I did sort-of well. Psyduck was a very friendly opponent and I'm glad we got to chat for a bit after each game. My only regret is that I didn't get to build any big engines this match, but I'll be rooting for Germany in the finals! Good luck, guys!

Adam,

thanks for the kind words. After having watched your videos I feel kind of ashamed we tied, I really do. You played a whole level better, and I'm really surprised I could squeeze out a tie. You had a good game plan all the time, while I just bought cards I liked at that point. Thx for recording and rooting for us. We need every support we can get. :)

Psyduck

• Bishop
  • Respect: +135
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2013, 06:43:39 pm »
+4

Yeah, I know, two posts in a row..but they really don't belong together.

First result of the final match series:

Psyduck and Victor Savenije tie 3-3

Haven, Herbalist, Stonemason, Workshop, Baron, Trader, Treasure Map, Bazaar, Mystic, Rogue
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20131213/log.50d085aee4b0a0d319a7bfe3.1386966216786.txt
I use Stonemason to get Treasure Maps and Havens to connect them, which works out pretty nice

Chapel, Doctor, Great Hall, Cutpurse, Ironmonger, Remodel, Wandering Minstrel, Bandit Camp, Horn of Plenty, Farmland
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20131213/log.50d085aee4b0a0d319a7bfe3.1386968159905.txt
Chapel game with Ironmonger and Great Hall, also HoP. I try to build an engine around that, my opponent mainly focuses on Bandit Camps, which proves to be way faster.

Masquerade, Oasis, Trade Route, Warehouse, Talisman, Bazaar, Catacombs, Junk Dealer, Mine, Altar
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20131213/log.50d085aee4b0a0d319a7bfe3.1386969844166.txt
A nice engine board with Bazaar, Catacombs, Junk Dealer, Masquerade, Oasis and Warehouse. Zappie buys an Altar, which in my opinion makes the difference, as there is no real +Buy (just Trade Route)

Scrying Pool, Oasis, Alchemist, Familiar, Moneylender, Apprentice, Embassy, Laboratory, Library, Pillage
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20131213/log.50d085aee4b0a0d319a7bfe3.1386971205415.txt
A strong potion board with Familiar, Alchemist and also Scrying Pool. I have 5/2, but can discard his first potion with my Pillage. Nevertheless, I lose the curse split 6-4. I manage to get rid of all the curses (Apprentice) but without +Buy just couldn't catch up.

Haven, Squire, Loan, Village, Watchtower, Mining Village, Salvager, Taxman, Bazaar, Duke
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20131213/log.50d085aee4b0a0d319a7bfe3.1386972540309.txt
Tragic game. We both go for Squire and Watchtower with some Salvager support. I start going for Duchies (because of Dukes), he continues to build to double Province. I get 6 Duchies, but start to stall hard, as he ends the game on piles with a win for me due to miscounting.

Storeroom, Urchin, Village, Conspirator, Gardens, Tournament, Bazaar, Harvest, Fairgrounds, Goons
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20131213/log.50d085aee4b0a0d319a7bfe3.1386973819349.txt
Tournament. He starts Bazar/-, while my Urchins collide on turn 4. I get the first Goons, the first Province, Followers and Trusty Steed, as he resigns.

Overall I'm quite happy with the draw, as he played a lot better, especially in Games 2, 3 and 5. He messed the first one a little bit up, while game 5 was a very early X-Mas gift for me. I really hope my team mates will now get enough points for us to take the title.

Zappie

• Thief
  • Respect: +44
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2013, 08:34:25 am »

My comments Added in Italics (Zappie)

Yeah, I know, two posts in a row..but they really don't belong together.

First result of the final match series:

Psyduck and Victor Savenije tie 3-3

Haven, Herbalist, Stonemason, Workshop, Baron, Trader, Treasure Map, Bazaar, Mystic, Rogue
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20131213/log.50d085aee4b0a0d319a7bfe3.1386966216786.txt
I use Stonemason to get Treasure Maps and Havens to connect them, which works out pretty nice

I should have played a warming up game, as apparently wasn't completely awake. 2 combo's hero: haven - treasure map
and haven baron, I executed neither of them properly. I becomes really horrible when I am forced to pick up a treasure map from my rogue...

Chapel, Doctor, Great Hall, Cutpurse, Ironmonger, Remodel, Wandering Minstrel, Bandit Camp, Horn of Plenty, Farmland
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20131213/log.50d085aee4b0a0d319a7bfe3.1386968159905.txt
Chapel game with Ironmonger and Great Hall, also HoP. I try to build an engine around that, my opponent mainly focuses on Bandit Camps, which proves to be way faster.

Chapel game here. luckily we both opened 4/3, as 5/2 with bandit camp would be much stronger. having a delayed gold fits just perfectly with chapel. I opt to open cutpurse instead of ironmonger, with worked out nicely to slow down opponents trashing. Then there is HoP, which i think doesn't work here, but it's very close. If you get it to province level with cantripish cards, you probably can only have 1, which is not good enough. The main problem with it is that you can't gain great halls (neccesary for draw) with HoP I think.

Masquerade, Oasis, Trade Route, Warehouse, Talisman, Bazaar, Catacombs, Junk Dealer, Mine, Altar
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20131213/log.50d085aee4b0a0d319a7bfe3.1386969844166.txt
A nice engine board with Bazaar, Catacombs, Junk Dealer, Masquerade, Oasis and Warehouse. Zappie buys an Altar, which in my opinion makes the difference, as there is no real +Buy (just Trade Route)

Here I don't think you want to build up your engine to double province level, because you need to trash cards with trade route in your already very thin deck with masqurade, junk dealer and altar. Talisman is the only card that netts you virtual +buy but that requires quite a bit of work. The difference here is the altar (also usefull for duchies) and having 2 catacoms around, psyduck in the end really rellied on soluably warehouse.

Scrying Pool, Oasis, Alchemist, Familiar, Moneylender, Apprentice, Embassy, Laboratory, Library, Pillage
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20131213/log.50d085aee4b0a0d319a7bfe3.1386971205415.txt
A strong potion board with Familiar, Alchemist and also Scrying Pool. I have 5/2, but can discard his first potion with my Pillage. Nevertheless, I lose the curse split 6-4. I manage to get rid of all the curses (Apprentice) but without +Buy just couldn't catch up.

Opponent was really focusing on clearing out his deck after my probably better 4/3 opening, like he was eventually going for scrying pool. But that doesn't work without + buy. At a certain pint his only money in his deck is moneylender and a copper. Meanwhile I was scrabled my earlier money together to build a vast lead.

Haven, Squire, Loan, Village, Watchtower, Mining Village, Salvager, Taxman, Bazaar, Duke
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20131213/log.50d085aee4b0a0d319a7bfe3.1386972540309.txt
Tragic game. We both go for Squire and Watchtower with some Salvager support. I start going for Duchies (because of Dukes), he continues to build to double Province. I get 6 Duchies, but start to stall hard, as he ends the game on piles with a win for me due to miscounting.

So from the start we agreed to play without the point counter, which I will never do again in the future. I think dukes clog up this draw to x engine too much and should be ignored. I don't know what psyduck thought when he bought a taxman, which is almost as bad as a curse here. I thought i was ahead and ended the games on piles... But i was 2 points short... I do think I was in a better position.

Storeroom, Urchin, Village, Conspirator, Gardens, Tournament, Bazaar, Harvest, Fairgrounds, Goons
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20131213/log.50d085aee4b0a0d319a7bfe3.1386973819349.txt
Tournament. He starts Bazar/-, while my Urchins collide on turn 4. I get the first Goons, the first Province, Followers and Trusty Steed, as he resigns.

mercenary, tournament and goons have one thing in common: first player to get and play them have a distict advantage. Everything went smooth here for psyduck, from opening draw till getting both followers and trusty steed.

Overall I'm quite happy with the draw, as he played a lot better, especially in Games 2, 3 and 5. He messed the first one a little bit up, while game 5 was a very early X-Mas gift for me. I really hope my team mates will now get enough points for us to take the title.

I am quite happy with my results in the tournament, I never lost a series. I really hope that stef, scsn, and florrat will win their series in this very football-like-rivalry between Holland-Germany

RTT

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 15, 2013, 09:41:33 am »
+5

Heya the Videos from my Match with Stef are uploaded. This time i commented in English so it should be understandable for everyone.

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2013, 04:35:51 pm »
+2

My commentary on the games against SCSN. Video:

Chapel, Pawn, University, Develop, Market Square, Wishing Well, Mining Village, Baker, Counting House, Margrave
Game 1: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20131214/log.505d732a51c359e6597efeb8.1387053004575.txt

Interesting engine board with everything you need for it. We both saved the token. SCSN opens Chapel/Baker while I open Chapel/Potion. SCSN gets a Market Square then and aims to trash heavily while getting Gold and tokens. In turn 5 he gets unlucky though and drew the Chapel from his Market Square. I get very lucky though and already get the University in hand that I bought one turn earlier. I gained a Margrave as I figured that might hurt him trashing. But then in turn 7 SCSN gets now a Potion what I didn't quite understood. If he wants Universities why not from the start? In my turn 7 I was already up to 3 Universities and was able to activate a Market Square that I gained in the same turn. It really worked out for me. I then loaded up on Bakers as I figured they might be pretty important in the game. SCSN could catch up pretty fast though as I didn't have enough draw. But I took the initiative as my deck was still better and started greening. In turn 12 I was 2 Provinces ahead, then he got Province/Duchy. But then I had a pretty good turn and could pile out on Bakers, Mining Villages and Margraves with Universities and a Develop for a solid 28-9 win.

Forager, Menagerie, Philosopher's Stone, Militia, Quarry, Scavenger, Silk Road, Counterfeit, Ill-Gotten Gains, Forge
Game 2: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20131214/log.505d732a51c359e6597efeb8.1387054169033.txt

This the most interesting board for me. There are a couple of possibilities and even within these possibilities a lot of variation and also a lot of interaction where you have to adopt.
I thought about IGG with PStone here, but felt not really comfortable with it. IGG/Silk Road rush is another possibily, but I thought an engine that could play Militia each turn might hurt too much for it. So I went for the Menagerie engine with trashing in Forager and Counterfeit. I figured that Forager was a key card here as there are a lot of treasure cards in the kingdom that would eventually land in the trash. So we both opened Forager/Militia and built the same kinda deck. We both then get a second Forager and he goes already for a Menagerie while I go for a Silver in turn 4. SCSN gets a lucky turn 5 to get a Counterfeit while I don't get there until turn 8. He bought even a second Counterfeit in turn 7. SCSN also picks up a Quarry that I didn't really understand at first, but he was probably aiming for a Forge as he bought it on turn 10 along with a Scavenger and a Menagerie. This means he has 3 terminals and with no village he's only able to play one of them. I wasn't really sure what he was trying to do, but I kept thinning and then buying Gold and Menagerie. He then forged his Militia into a Quarry (even more confused?) and trashed his second Forager with his first one in turn 11. On turn 12 I reached $12 (or $14 if I counterfeit a Silver). I then had to made a decision where to go from here. With his only one Forager I decided to use Forager now as my main payload. That's why I trashed the first Silver with Counterfeit and bought Province/IGG (to trash IGG later and maybe slow him down with one Forager gone). On SCSN's turn 12 he forged Scavenger and Quarry into Province (the Scavenger was then only Forge fodder?) which raised Forager's value even more, and then buys a Province and his Forager back. On my turn 13 I continue what I was aiming for, I counterfeited an IGG (Forager now worth $4) and bought Province/IGG again. SCSN didn't stall, trashed an Counterfeit (Forager worth $5) and a Curse and bought Province/Duchy. I then get a pretty bad turn with a small hand and no +Buy I get the third last Province, but I forgot about Forge, so he could easily end the game, but didn't even need to forge Province into Province, he could trash Counterfeit/Forager into Province and buy the last Province for a solid 34-18 win. I'm still not sure how to best play here. I guess I underestimated Forge here as it gave end game control I didn't have. I wonder how any other strategy would have performed.

Moat, Pearl Diver, Great Hall, Lookout, Shanty Town, Wishing Well, Scout, Bazaar, Venture, Wharf
Game 3: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20131214/log.505d732a51c359e6597efeb8.1387054932014.txt

This game was the game-changer in the match-up. This is clearly an engine with Shanty Town/Bazaar as village and Wharf as draw and Lookout for a bit of trashing. The building went pretty much straight forward. I don't think any of us had particular bad or good luck. The Wharves were gone in turn 10 and we split them equally 5/5. But I think my deck was a little bit better at that moment. He had one Shanty Town more, but I had one Estate less and 2 Silvers more. After one Bazaar for me and Bazaar/Silver for SCSN I reached $14 and decided to take initiative in greening and bought Gold/Province. He built more and with $11 goes for Gold/Silver/Pearl Diver. I continue to draw my deck and am now able to get to double Province. SCSN now overdraws his deck and gets Province/Gold and 2 Coppers. And then came turn 14. There where 6 cards left in my deck and all 3 remaining Wharves where in there. Wow. This means I have no Wharf in play for the next turn. With $14 I buy Province/Duchy for a 19VP lead. SCSN can now savely buy double Province without fear that I'm able to get the last Province as my 3 Wharves collided. I only get to $3 and he can savely end it with Province/Duchy and 2 Estates. I mean you make your own shuffle luck, but I'm not sure what I could have done to prevent that happening. Maybe 2 Duchies instead of Province/Duchy would have been an option. But I don't think that would have prevented that. But that unlucky loss kinda influenced my moral. Let's see what happens now.

Native Village, Warehouse, Bureaucrat, Navigator, Rats, Scavenger, Duke, Journeyman, Pillage, Bank
Game 4: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20131214/log.505d732a51c359e6597efeb8.1387056216781.txt

With no +Buy and nothing really strong here, we both go for Duke with Bureacrat and Scavenger. Basically totally a mirror game. One difference is that I added some Warehouses for smoothing while gets mainly Silver. We split the Duchies 4/4 after turn 9. SCSN now gets a lucky Province while keep getting Dukes. So far we're still head to head. But in turn 14 SCSN gets another Province and then I'm in trouble. Probably because I have not enough Silvers in my deck I keep getting $4 now and SCSN can even get a third Province in his clogged up deck, wow. No chance to catch up now. We discussed this later and his choice to get more Silver of Warehouse was probably correct as he was able to get to Province. But 3 Provinces in his clogged up deck is still pretty lucky in my opinion. I'd like to hear some thought on this game too.

Pawn, Doctor, Steward, Tunnel, Feast, Ironworks, Band of Misfits, Margrave, Market, Vault
Game 5: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20131214/log.505d732a51c359e6597efeb8.1387056899918.txt

Being 1-3 behind I needed now 2 wins to tie. On this Colony board we both go for Vault/Tunnel here. SCSN decides to open with Steward to trash out some stop cards. So he opens Feast/Steward to my Feast/Tunnel. Not much to say beside I didn't quite expect this to be that important. I thought going straight for Proinves could outrace trashing and going for Colonies. I had some bad luck here too with triple colliding Vaults and stuff, but still he played this much better and deserved the clear 88-58 win.

Scheme, Armory, Quarry, Bandit Camp, Cache, Margrave, Royal Seal, Hoard, Hunting Grounds, Nobles
Game 6: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20131214/log.505d732a51c359e6597efeb8.1387057780768.txt

I have a 5/2 on this board. I decide to go for money/engine hybrid with Margrave/Nobles and Hoard and open Margrave to slow him down from the start. He opens Quarry/Silver and gets Margrave in turn 3 and a second Quarry in turn 4, obviously going more for an pure engine. Turn 5 was the key for me. I had $6 with a Quarry in hand and 2 buys. I still could go for the engine now. But I get the Hoard and decided to go with the original plan. In both turn 6 and 7 I already can buy Nobles and gain Gold, so I felt pretty confident. In the end I win the Nobles split 7/1 while SCSN keeps buying Hunting Grounds instead. I then buy Province/Bandit Camp in turn 14. With tons of Spoils and very good turn, SCSN gets double Province. I then have a horrible $7 hand and was not sure to get here. I go for Bandit Camp to be able to use Nobles for draw. SCSN gets a Province and we're equal in points now. I can get a Province, he only a Duchy and I get another Province in the turn after that. SCSN has to get double Duchy though. In turn 18 I get $7 again. A Province for me would have maybe sealed it. Instead I have to buy Duchy/Estate with a Hoard in play. He gets only a Duchy. Then I have $9 and only one buy. I have to make a decision here. Being 4VP ahead I had the choice between Province, Duchy or Bandit Camp (because I was right before a shuffle and we need double Province to win anyway). Duchy doesn't make much sense as he will win with double Province anyway, with or without Duchy. I decided to go for Bandit Camp. SCSN can then double Province and win. As it turned out he had only 2 buys and if would have gone for Province this would have been the win.

Well..., bad luck and bad decisions led to this destroying defeat. SCSN played better and deserved the win anyway. This basically means Netherlands won this tournament, unless terminalCopper pulls off a wonder. Thanks SCSN for these interesting games and to all for this great experience in this tournament. Hey, I went to the finals without winning a single match ;)
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.398 seconds with 20 queries.