Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Board Game Playtesting  (Read 2480 times)

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +364
    • View Profile
Board Game Playtesting
« on: November 08, 2013, 02:56:58 pm »

Okay, I've been working on a card game for quite a while, and am running out on people to test it on. (I pretty much only have my immediate family) It just happens to work well on a forum, so I'm wondering if anyone is willing to play a few games to try it out. The basic idea of it is like a simple fighting game: you have a character with Life and Strength and you're trying to bring the opponent down to 0 of either. If at least two people are interested, I'll post the full rules here. Thanks!

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
Re: Board Game Playtesting
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 02:58:18 pm »

Okay, I've been working on a card game for quite a while, and am running out on people to test it on. (I pretty much only have my immediate family) It just happens to work well on a forum, so I'm wondering if anyone is willing to play a few games to try it out. The basic idea of it is like a simple fighting game: you have a character with Life and Strength and you're trying to bring the opponent down to 0 of either. If at least two people are interested, I'll post the full rules here. Thanks!

There's the Forum Games section for playing games on here, so you should probably do that there.  I'm pretty sure you can move the topic there if you want with the button on the bottom left corner.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 03:03:35 pm »

I'm interested. Approximately how complex would you say it is?
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 03:08:32 pm »

Not super complex, the rules would probably fit on a page and a half if I printed them out. However, just like dominion, the individual cards add quite a bit of complexity.

P.S. I can't figure out how to move it: I don't think I'm even able to lock it.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 03:10:08 pm »

It's on the left side in a way similar to the reply button.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2013, 03:39:12 pm »

I can probably give it a go.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2013, 05:43:18 pm »

Ni! Ni! Ni! Ni/ Ni!
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
  • An enormous walrus the size of Antarctica
  • Respect: +1793
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2013, 05:52:52 pm »

I could be interested. Post the rules!
My Dominion videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WalrusMcFishSr   <---Bet you can't click on that!

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2013, 05:58:11 pm »

Months ago I worked on a card game that perfectly matches your description.  Never got around to play testing.  I hope our great minds don't think alike, in case I ever return to it. ;)

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2013, 04:44:34 am »
+1

Each player has a character chosen at the beginning of the game who has one special ability. Characters have 5 statistics: Power, Endurance, Agility, Intelligence, and Trickery. The character also comes with two of those automatically boosted.

Each player chooses 3 sets of two cards to place facedown from their hand in their respective slots. These cards are called the placed cards.

Then the player who was chosen as the start player reveals one of the two cards they chose for their first maneuvers. The cards chosen this way are referred to as the chosen cards.
The next player, who is left of the first player, does the same and so on until all players have revealed a card. Then the last player reveals one of the two cards they chose for their second maneuver and the order changes direction until all players have chosen their second card. Finally, the first player chooses their third card and play continues from them as for the first card.

Instead of choosing a card, a player may choose no card and instead gain 2 Strength in that turn.

Then each of the players in order of Agility uses their first chosen maneuver in order. After all of the maneuvers are used, each player puts all their placed cards in their discard pile. Then each player draws cards to their hand size, which is 8 unless otherwise specified.

After a maneuver is used, the character who used it loses 1 Strength per its strength cost. There are three types of maneuvers: attacks, nerfs, and buffs. To use a nerf or a buff, do what it says on the card to all other players.

To use an attack, roll a six-sided die and add the result to the attack number of the maneuver. This roll is called the attack roll. Then divide by 4 and round up. Each other player loses Life equal to the result of the final number.

In the normal version of the game, each character has 10 life and 10 Strength. For each extra player added beyond 2 players, add 10 life to each player.

Each of the statistics of a character has an effect.
- For each bonus to power, add 1 to your attack rolls and use up one strength less for each power move you use.
- For each bonus to endurance, add 1/10 of your base starting life to your starting life and use up one strength less for each endurance move you use.
- For each bonus to agility, your moves are more likely to go first and you use up one strength less for each agility move you use.
- For each bonus to intelligence, your hand size is increased by one and you use up one strength less for each intelligence move you use.
- For each bonus to trickery, you may place one extra card anywhere and use up one strength less for each trickery move you use.

Game Setup
Starting with the first player, who is chosen randomly, and moving clockwise, each player chooses a character from the supply and takes that character's deck and draws to their hand size. Then each player chooses one statistic to boost, starting with the last player and going counter-clockwise.

Boom!
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 20 queries.