Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Article subforum usage  (Read 13983 times)

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
Article subforum usage
« on: November 14, 2011, 11:08:53 am »

Is anyone allowed to write material in this subforum?  Is it presumptuous to do so if you don't have a high ranking or good reputation?
I'm only level 29 but I think I could write something people would like to read if I keep the subject specific enough

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
Re: Article subforum usage
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 11:20:08 am »

So you post in the Article-subforum to ask if you may post in the Article-subforum?

Edit: I would say if you want to post something that covers a topic, and thus can be considered as an article, just post it here. If it's just some small thoughts, post it to the general discussion. I don't think anyone cares about rank or reputation if you're text is reasonable. If the data-set for some idea is "in most of my games" though, I would say maybe it's better to be above rank 0, but with ~30 you anyway have something to say that is interesting for most people. There are a many people below 30...
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 11:24:38 am by DStu »

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 11:31:19 am »

Someone posted a request for opinions on Diadem, so it was clear that "meta-discussion" of articles is okay. 

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 12:09:41 pm »

In my mind, when I created this subforum, I viewed it as a place for where the topic creator sets out a specific strategy idea or insight that is then discussed, rather than an open discussion on a matter, or non-strategy discussion. 

But of course, you all can use it for whatever, and maybe I'll just merge the two forums eventually.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 02:53:11 pm »
+1

One idea that might be nice would be to just have another subforum where there is a single thread for each card, since there are a lot of topics that are just open discussion for a single card. This would give all of those a home, without calling them "articles". Then, people can still read that un-organized information, and if someone decides to take the effort to make a real article, they can compile all the information dicussed in the appropriate thread, and make a post in articles. I also think there should be some post guidelines for the article subforum pinned at the top that specifies what it means to be an "article", and all non-conforming posts should be moved.

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +938
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 04:53:28 pm »

One idea that might be nice would be to just have another subforum where there is a single thread for each card...

Seconded.  A board like this would be great for a learning player (or even an experienced player with an Achilles heel) to read up on all the various issues associated with a particular card, because a lot of disparate opinions could be all found in one place.

I also think there should be some post guidelines for the article subforum pinned at the top that specifies what it means to be an "article", and all non-conforming posts should be moved.

Seconded.  I think the Articles subforum was a great idea to try to foster in-depth posts, but the lack of clear and enforced guidelines may be hurting its potential.

danshep

• Navigator
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 06:59:39 pm »

A subforum with one topic per card is a nice idea, but it really needs to be coupled with a canonical page somewhere with a general overview of each card - in other places this is done by having the original poster maintain the first post as a summary of discussion. As long as there is a mechanism in the forum software for re-assigning the authorship of the OP to another user so that the torch of maintenance can be passed, that's a good approach.

That sort of thing though really works best as a wiki, but just plonking a wiki down next to the forum would just create a fracture in the discussion. If we could have a wiki with a page per card that linked to a forum thread for discussion and had shared logins between wiki and forum, that would be the ideal situation, but I know that's a lot of work, especially since we're talking out of the box forum and wiki software. Since simplemachines uses a non-integrated mediawiki instance for their own doco, I'd doubt that that path would be viable.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 07:39:10 pm »

No need for another subforum, in my opinion. If an article about a single card is good enough, it might as well go up on the main site, with the discussion going on there. (I, for one, got a lot of mileage out of going to the 'Individual Cards' on the main site and looking up the articles through that).

Though it is a good idea to have focused discussion of more cards. Maybe I should try my hand at writing an article in that style? I'm not as good as many of the people who post here, but I think if I stick to cards I understand I can write something that'll be pretty helpful to new players, or if I'm way off it'll at least reveal my misconceptions when you all tear it up :)

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 07:51:49 pm »

A subforum with one topic per card is a nice idea, but it really needs to be coupled with a canonical page somewhere with a general overview of each card - in other places this is done by having the original poster maintain the first post as a summary of discussion... That sort of thing though really works best as a wiki...
While something like a wiki would be *nice*, I don't think it's necessary for the single-thread-per-card idea. The fact of the matter is that there are a bunch of such threads already floating around between the 2 dominion subforums, so they might as well go together. There can just be an OP which just links to the card description on the main blog and says "discuss" or something. This just keeps the forum more organized and makes it easier to look for a thread and avoid duplicating the same thread or discussion, since you know where it exists.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2011, 09:48:26 pm »

What do you do about combo discussion?  For instance, the KC thread is just going to be a mess, and maybe some cards are going to have several very different discussions going on it.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2011, 10:31:11 pm »

What do you do about combo discussion?  For instance, the KC thread is just going to be a mess, and maybe some cards are going to have several very different discussions going on it.
Combos should still have their own threads in articles or general or where ever, though there should also be a standard for that. I had just noticed that there are already like a dozen threads whose title is simply the name of a card spread out between general, articles, and even forum feedback! And those threads are useful, particularly for new cards that people don't have much idea about, or cards generally regarded as "bad".

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2011, 06:42:39 am »

I think the current setup is fine. We don't need a million topics about different cards that nobody has ever wanted to discuss. I think there need to be a few more guidelines and a bit more moderation for the Articles board (i.e. two lines stating "I used this card a couple of times to great effect. It is definitely an underrated card and people should try it more often!" is not an article). Move any non-articles into the General board and everything will be fine.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2011, 07:31:07 am »

I think the current setup is fine. We don't need a million topics about different cards that nobody has ever wanted to discuss. I think there need to be a few more guidelines and a bit more moderation for the Articles board (i.e. two lines stating "I used this card a couple of times to great effect. It is definitely an underrated card and people should try it more often!" is not an article). Move any non-articles into the General board and everything will be fine.
+1
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.566 seconds with 20 queries.