Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Author Topic: Treasure Chest Design Contest — Card #A: Prize Card  (Read 39342 times)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: Treasure Chest Design Contest — Card #A: Prize Card
« Reply #75 on: December 04, 2013, 07:13:32 pm »
+1

Here are my favourites from the prizes.  There were others that I liked too, but these few stood out to me.  There were also some that I liked before that I am less sure about now.

Wizard
Types: Action – Prize
Cost: $0*
If this is the first Action card you played this turn, +3 Cards and +1 Action. Otherwise, +1 Card and +3 Actions.

Still don't like the card name.  Still like the mechanic.

One interesting thing I just realized is that this card can be a really nice pick when your Tournament gets blocked.  Wizard gets top decked and you fail to draw it, making it more likely that you can play it as your first action on the next turn.  That's really cool.

Shield of Virtue
Types: Action – Reaction – Prize
+1 Card. +1 Action. Look through your discard pile. You may trash a card from your hand or your discard pile.

When another player plays an Attack card, you may reveal this from your hand. If you do, you are unaffected by that Attack.

It's not crazy stand out, but I like that it can be a good pick after someone else gets Followers.  It's nice that it can both moat against Followers AND clean up Curses after the fact is nice.

Hmm... I actually wonder if even more could be added onto it.  Like, in addition to Moating the attack, you can choose to discard the shield from your hand to gain a Silver in hand.  Or maybe even do the classic broken fan card of an attacking reaction.  Would that work as a prize?  I don't know.

Anyway, that probably isn't necessary.  The action alone is cantrip trashing that can trash from the discard.  That's actually really powerful.  So it doesn't feel crazy stand out powerful, but it definitely pulls its weight.  There are probably plenty of boards where this could be top pick.

Magic Lamp
Gain an Action card costing up to $4. Play it.

Tossing this a vote because I think it has some fun potential (and a great name).  I still think it should be cantrip.

Stalwart Mule
Cost: 0*
+4 Actions. Gain a card costing up to $1 per Action you have (Action, not Action card).

It's still kind of neat.  Super village and super workshop.  My biggest concern would be that it is probably better than Diadem a lot of the time.  OTOH, it can actually combo with Diadem, and it doesn't take away from the usual Diadem use (securing enough money to afford another Province).  And I actually like the proposed name.  it's a bit of a joke, but it works.  :)

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 04, 2013, 08:10:15 pm »

Magic Lamp

Tossing this a vote because I think it has some fun potential (and a great name).  I still think it should be cantrip.

Maybe it should even be "Gain an Action card costing up to $5. Play it.

I think it's just boring and weak as written, and cantripping it doesn't excite me much. I do like the "you gain something and get to play it right now" mechanic, that is under explored. Do you think it would be too good if it could go up to $5? I don't.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 04, 2013, 08:42:13 pm »

Magic Lamp

Maybe it should even be "Gain an Action card costing up to $5. Play it.

I think it's just boring and weak as written, and cantripping it doesn't excite me much. I do like the "you gain something and get to play it right now" mechanic, that is under explored. Do you think it would be too good if it could go up to $5? I don't.

I think it would be too good if it was that AND cantrip.  Maybe up to $5 but not cantrip.  Hard to say though.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 04, 2013, 08:51:43 pm »

Shield of Virtue
+1 Card. +1 Action. Look through your discard pile. You may trash a card from your hand or your discard pile.

When another player plays an Attack card, you may reveal this from your hand. If you do, you are unaffected by that Attack.

It's not crazy stand out, but I like that it can be a good pick after someone else gets Followers.  It's nice that it can both moat against Followers AND clean up Curses after the fact is nice.

Hmm... I actually wonder if even more could be added onto it.  Like, in addition to Moating the attack, you can choose to discard the shield from your hand to gain a Silver in hand.  Or maybe even do the classic broken fan card of an attacking reaction.  Would that work as a prize?  I don't know.

Anyway, that probably isn't necessary.  The action alone is cantrip trashing that can trash from the discard.  That's actually really powerful.  So it doesn't feel crazy stand out powerful, but it definitely pulls its weight.  There are probably plenty of boards where this could be top pick.

When all is said and done, I think I actually like Blessing better. Simpler is always better in my book, and this one seems to me to just grab aspects of all these other cards (Moat, Hermit). Blessing really cleans you up, possibly too well, and kind of has the Counting House problem, and.. okay, maybe I don't like it that much. But more than Shield of Virtue.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 05, 2013, 08:12:28 am »

I think it would be too good if it was that AND cantrip.  Maybe up to $5 but not cantrip.  Hard to say though.

Making it a cantrip I think makes it way better than Trusty Steed, unless there are no good Actions to gain. Because, you get to play something that was not in your hand. That is kind of +1 Card and +1 Action, so adding cantrip on top of that would be better than +2 Cards, +2 Actions. Ok, only <$4 Actions, but usually you have something worth your while there. You will always (until it runs out) have at least Tournament as a non-terminal and potential cantrip. I like the "terminal" up to $5 version better. Maybe gaint it to your hand and +1 Action would be a nice compromise, although "play it" always feels nicer.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 05, 2013, 11:32:38 am »
+1

Making it a cantrip I think makes it way better than Trusty Steed, unless there are no good Actions to gain. Because, you get to play something that was not in your hand. That is kind of +1 Card and +1 Action, so adding cantrip on top of that would be better than +2 Cards, +2 Actions. Ok, only <$4 Actions, but usually you have something worth your while there. You will always (until it runs out) have at least Tournament as a non-terminal and potential cantrip. I like the "terminal" up to $5 version better. Maybe gaint it to your hand and +1 Action would be a nice compromise, although "play it" always feels nicer.

Trusty Steed has more options than that.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 05, 2013, 12:10:23 pm »

I thought that was a given. Still, gaining a $4 seems a solid addition. Usually you can get +$2 out of it if you want, so I do not think the flexibility is so much worse than Trusty Steed. Unless the Silvers and deck flipping are a great option for some reason, I believe Cantrip Magic Lamp is way better.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 05, 2013, 12:36:05 pm »

I thought that was a given. Still, gaining a $4 seems a solid addition. Usually you can get +$2 out of it if you want, so I do not think the flexibility is so much worse than Trusty Steed. Unless the Silvers and deck flipping are a great option for some reason, I believe Cantrip Magic Lamp is way better.

I think maybe instead of Cantrip Magic Lantern, it should just be non-terminal. This way it fits into your deck much better, which most of the other Prizes do. It loses the lab-like effect, but keeps all kinds of potential. Plus gaining a village or a Crossroads sort of combos with Diadem.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 05, 2013, 01:38:03 pm »
+1

Gaining silvers IS a great option fairly often.  Cantrip Magic Lamp would not just beat Trusty Steed every time.

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 09, 2013, 01:56:53 pm »

The results are up, and we have 5 winners! Congrats to angrybirds (Golden Hammer), Robz888 (Wizard), dnkywin (Servicemen), nopawnsintended (Stalwart Mule), and me (Magic Lamp)!

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 09, 2013, 02:48:28 pm »

Congratulations to the winners! I voted for all the winners except Stalwart Mule, plus a few extra cards that I liked.

My card was Ringmaster. I wasn't sure about making an attack-Prize, but it would have to be less punishing than Followers. I should have given it the Noble Brigand, Silver+Gold only clause, and allow it to steal treasure, but I also didn't want to make it too wordy, so it ended up too weak for a Prize.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 09, 2013, 02:58:09 pm »

My card was Advertiser. I was unsure of how hard it would be to line this up with other action cards that you'd want multiple copies of, but it seems too good as it is now while not being terribly exciting. Either it should lose the +1 action or the +$2 coins.

It seems I'm off my fan card game these days.  The name was an artifact of one of my earlier ideas, but I guess it doesn't fit no matter what way you swing it.

Edit: And congratulations to the winners! I had voted for 3 of the top 5.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 02:59:46 pm by markusin »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 09, 2013, 03:31:46 pm »
+1

The results are up, and we have 5 winners! Congrats to angrybirds (Golden Hammer), Robz888 (Wizard), dnkywin (Servicemen), nopawnsintended (Stalwart Mule), and me (Magic Lamp)!

...with acknowledgement to nopawnsintended for Rusty the Donkey, which was the inspiration for Stalwart Mule. :)

Are they all winners, or is there a second voting stage?

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 09, 2013, 03:48:33 pm »
+1

...with acknowledgement to nopawnsintended for Rusty the Donkey, which was the inspiration for Stalwart Mule. :)

Right, he's the sole credit for Stalwart Mule in my post there. I'm credited for Magic Lamp, which is my submission.

All winners! I don't love that Golden Hammer and Servicemen both won (a little similar to each other), but they're both good cards and I'm glad that they won individually.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 09, 2013, 03:50:43 pm »

Right, he's the sole credit for Stalwart Mule in my post there. I'm credited for Magic Lamp, which is my submission.

All winners! I don't love that Golden Hammer and Servicemen both won (a little similar to each other), but they're both good cards and I'm glad that they won individually.

Oops, I misread that part.  My bad!

Is there enough space in the set for 5 prizes?  What does it mean for victory cards in the future? 

Also, did you get the PM I sent a few days ago?

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 09, 2013, 03:53:31 pm »

Oops, I misread that part.  My bad!

Is there enough space in the set for 5 prizes?  What does it mean for victory cards in the future? 

Also, did you get the PM I sent a few days ago?
The beauty of Prize cards: 5 got to win.

I'm guessing this means there is no more room for VP cards, as Prefecture won and these 5 prizes fill up the remaining 5 slots. Right?

I almost forgot to vote here amidst my busy schedule. I was up at midnight submitting my vote for this.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 09, 2013, 03:54:17 pm »
+2

Yay! My first win!

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 09, 2013, 03:58:18 pm »
+1

It's also nice that LastFootnote got a win too. He deserves it.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 09, 2013, 04:51:07 pm »
+2

Shield of Virtue

This was mine. I am very proud of it. eHalcyon hit it right on the head with his analysis that the card is meant to provide a good Prize to counter Followers if you connect second (this reduces the snow-ball effect of Tournament a little) and that it is stronger than it first appears.

I am not sure many people caught that the trashing is optional and much stronger than Hermit -- Hermit can't trash Treasures. This is a better anti-junker than Upgrade. Since it's a prize, you can't pick it up early. I think that's why this works as a prize but not a kingdom card.

A straight up Moat/Lighthouse effect really should be on more cards. And it fits here, so I included it. I was going to make it stronger, actually, by adding "You may discard your deck" to the card, as well. Clearly people weren't afraid of super-strong prizes though, so maybe I handicapped my chances by scaling the card back before submitting it.

The name is a reference to the Shield of Virtue in Sleeping Beauty.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 09, 2013, 07:23:15 pm »
+1

A straight up Moat/Lighthouse effect really should be on more cards.

I assume the reason it's not is just because that's, like, Moat's special thing, same reason Masquerade is the only pass-cards-around-the-table card. Lighthouse gets to share it only because it's got different timing, being while-in-play instead of reveal-from-hand.

Actually I feel like a lot of the $2 cards have distinctive effects that aren't replicated on any other cards. If you want immunity to Attacks, you have to buy that Moat, you can't just save up for some strictly-better $5 Smithy-Moat. It's a neat little strategic wrinkle.

dnkywin

• Scout
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 09, 2013, 10:08:38 pm »

Hmm so Servicemen was just a name I came up with on the fly (don't ask me why I cam up with it, I don't remember). Does anyone have any suggestions for alternate names? I know Renovate was used as one of the submissions to one of the other contests, maybe Refurbish or Reconstruct?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 09, 2013, 10:23:08 pm »

Hmm so Servicemen was just a name I came up with on the fly (don't ask me why I cam up with it, I don't remember). Does anyone have any suggestions for alternate names? I know Renovate was used as one of the submissions to one of the other contests, maybe Refurbish or Reconstruct?

I think that the prizes should actually sound like things you could win at a tournament, be it a physical prize (Diadem, Bag of Gold, Trusty Steed) or something more metaphorical (devoted Followers or the hand of the Princess).

"Reputation" would be funny, keeping the common Re- theme in names.  Might not make enough sense though. :P

yuma

• Minion
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 09, 2013, 10:33:18 pm »
+1

I think that the prizes should actually sound like things you could win at a tournament, be it a physical prize (Diadem, Bag of Gold, Trusty Steed) or something more metaphorical (devoted Followers or the hand of the Princess).

"Reputation" would be funny, keeping the common Re- theme in names.  Might not make enough sense though. :P

How about Retainers? You win their loyalty by winning the tournament and can then tell them to go make your kingdom better?

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 09, 2013, 10:36:40 pm »
+1

A straight up Moat/Lighthouse effect really should be on more cards.

I assume the reason it's not is just because that's, like, Moat's special thing, same reason Masquerade is the only pass-cards-around-the-table card. Lighthouse gets to share it only because it's got different timing, being while-in-play instead of reveal-from-hand.

I don't agree with this. I don't think a lot would be lost (and there is something to be gained) from more reactions simply being the Moat reaction (Secret Chamber and Horse Traders come to mind).

This is a prize card, too, so favorite bits can re-appear. The prizes to me are simply strong combinations of the best bits in Dominion. Bag of Gold shares Soothsayer's gain a Gold mechanic, Followers is Witch+Militia's attack, etc.

Actually I feel like a lot of the $2 cards have distinctive effects that aren't replicated on any other cards. If you want immunity to Attacks, you have to buy that Moat, you can't just save up for some strictly-better $5 Smithy-Moat. It's a neat little strategic wrinkle.

It's not a wrinkle if it's not in the Tournament game. Having a counter to Followers always available was the main idea.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 09, 2013, 11:13:41 pm »

I'm quite happy my card won:

Wizard
If this is the first Action card you played this turn, +3 Cards and +1 Action. Otherwise, +1 Card and +3 Actions.

I like it, because it's not super powerful, or too weak, and it combos mildly with Diadem. The interesitng thing about it is, sometimes you would prefer to get your Tournament blocked, because then you can top deck this for Super Lab next time, rather than draw it in to hand for Super Village this time! In general, I just think it's a nice card to hold your deck together as you buy Provinces. It greases the engine just a bit.

All that said, I'm not married to the name. Don't know why I even picked it. Any better suggestions?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 21 queries.