Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Author Topic: Treasure Chest Design Contest — Card #A: Prize Card  (Read 39248 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
Re: Treasure Chest Design Contest — Card #A: Prize Card
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2013, 01:26:00 pm »

Ideally a new Prize card will be sufficiently different from existing Prize cards.

I'm sure some (or maybe most) will disagree with me on this. As I am trying to brainstorm ideas for a Prize card, I'd like that to rule out the following:
Gold Gainer (Or even just Gainer) Prize ---- Bag of Gold
Treasure Card (Or benefit extra actions) Prize ---- Diadem
Attack Card Prize ---- Followers
Cost Reducer Prize ---- Princess
Vanilla Bonuses Prize ---- Trusty Steed

I wouldn't totally taboo treasure and attacks, but the need to be way different, very interesting, and stand up to the standard of Followers and Diadem.

I definitely wouldn't agree with the no attacks or no treasure things... it seems just as reasonable to say "no non-attack actions; we already have 3 prizes that do that" as it does to say "no attack actions; we already have 1 prize that does that." Every action card needs to be chosen whether it's going to be an attack or not; I don't think of non-attack as the default. (Though of course you don't want the game to be mostly attacks; but 2 out of 6 cards being attacks doesn't seem like overkill at all).
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2013, 02:35:02 pm »
+1

A new treasure-prize should probably be drastically different than Diadem. For example, you could make a treasure-prize that's actually useful!
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2013, 02:49:51 pm »
+2

I think the tragedy of Diadem is that you need to build a deck to take advantage of it, but you can't afford to build such a deck when there's no guarantee you'll even get Diadem.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2013, 02:57:11 pm »

Ideally a new Prize card will be sufficiently different from existing Prize cards.

I'm sure some (or maybe most) will disagree with me on this. As I am trying to brainstorm ideas for a Prize card, I'd like that to rule out the following:

I wouldn't totally taboo treasure and attacks, but the need to be way different, very interesting, and stand up to the standard of Followers and Diadem.

I definitely wouldn't agree with the no attacks or no treasure things... it seems just as reasonable to say "no non-attack actions; we already have 3 prizes that do that" as it does to say "no attack actions; we already have 1 prize that does that." Every action card needs to be chosen whether it's going to be an attack or not; I don't think of non-attack as the default. (Though of course you don't want the game to be mostly attacks; but 2 out of 6 cards being attacks doesn't seem like overkill at all).

This, and I also disagree with almost all the rest. Being a Treasure, or an Attack, or having lots of Vainilla bonuses (not all, btw) is not the most defining thing about the Prizes, but just a way to implement them. I agree that cost-reduction is the main thing about Princess, so another Prize with cost-reduction would probably feel similar. But there are plenty of examples of two cards being Attacks/Treasures/Vainilla/Gainers that play totally different (examples of the top of my head: Minion-Witch/Bank-Hoard/Grand Market-Hunting Grounds/Transmute-Tunnel). Even Bridge and Highway are plenty different, although not as much.

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2013, 03:03:29 pm »

I agree with HeavyD. If we're going to have 10 Prizes total, I could easily accept another Attack or Treasure. But I think we should avoid another cost-reduction prize, choose-two prize, or Gold-gaining Prize. There are so many other directions to go. A remodeler? A gainer?

On a related topic, a Victory–Prize is certainly possible, although I'm not psyched about that idea. For one thing, you've already got Duchy as an option. For another, a Victory card is not a super-exciting thing to topdeck. I guess an Action–Victory–Prize or a Treasure–Victory–Prize would be fine.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2013, 03:21:50 pm »
+1

I agree with HeavyD. If we're going to have 10 Prizes total, I could easily accept another Attack or Treasure. But I think we should avoid another cost-reduction prize, choose-two prize, or Gold-gaining Prize. There are so many other directions to go. A remodeler? A gainer?

On a related topic, a Victory–Prize is certainly possible, although I'm not psyched about that idea. For one thing, you've already got Duchy as an option. For another, a Victory card is not a super-exciting thing to topdeck. I guess an Action–Victory–Prize or a Treasure–Victory–Prize would be fine.

I recall Donald writing that he tried a Victory–Prize but couldn't come up with one that was worth doing.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2013, 03:29:53 pm »

I actually have a couple of ideas for this one....

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2013, 04:34:37 pm »

I actually have a Victory-Prize idea, but I'm not sure it's worth exploring.

Nic

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +85
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2013, 04:48:45 pm »
+1

I agree with the sentiment, although there's one Treasure- and one Attack-Prize versus four Actions -- I don't think vetoing entire types is helpful at all.
However, there's currently zero Treasure-Attacks: that's a type people want to see, but there aren't many non-stacking attacks you can put on a silver (that is, if you don't want Militia to look stupid in comparison).
Also, Renovate/Fortress can't autopile if there's no Renovate pile to begin with!

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2013, 04:56:06 pm »

I agree with the sentiment, although there's one Treasure- and one Attack-Prize versus four Actions -- I don't think vetoing entire types is helpful at all.
However, there's currently zero Treasure-Attacks: that's a type people want to see, but there aren't many non-stacking attacks you can put on a silver (that is, if you don't want Militia to look stupid in comparison).
Also, Renovate/Fortress can't autopile if there's no Renovate pile to begin with!

Hmm, good call. If you're going to make a Treasure–Attack, this is probably a good place to do it. The problem I have with a Treasure–Attack is that it precludes an Action card that plays Attack cards. I guess it doesn't really preclude it, but playing Treasure cards during the Action phase rubs me the wrong way a little bit.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I will NOT reject Treasure–Attack cards. If you want to submit one, go ahead.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2013, 08:17:20 pm »

I like the idea of fitting a Treasure - Attack here, and other such weirdness. I've got my entry in, and I like the mechanic I've used if not necessarily the final effect (which is to say, my card does something that I think is sufficiently different both from other Prizes and other cards in general, but having done that the residual effect isn't hugely exciting unless I come up with a fix before the deadline).

nopawnsintended

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +186
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2013, 11:49:44 pm »
+3

Here's hoping my prize is better than Satan's Workshop.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2013, 08:58:30 am »

Satan's workshop? What kind of cards does that gain?

AJD

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2013, 09:04:33 pm »

I really think that we should have a "rule" that 5 prizes are chosen randomly to play with each game.

(Note that this entails giving Tournament an addiitonal "setup:" clause like Young Witch's, making it a card that has an ability that isn't actually stated on the card. I'm not complaining about this per se; I just thought I'd point it out.)

nopawnsintended

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +186
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2013, 02:04:35 am »
+1

Satan's workshop? What kind of cards does that gain?

The worst cards, followed by the best cards, all in the most diabolical way.  It was my submission for Dark Ages.  It was bad.  Even I didn't vote for it.

Satan's Workshop
Types: Action – Attack
Cost: $5
Gain a card costing up to the number of Fire tokens in your Satan Pit. Each other player may reveal a hand with 2 or fewer Treasures. If nobody does, put a Fire token in your Satan Pit. Each other player gains a Copper, putting it into his hand.
When you would trash this, set it aside. If you do, at the beginning of your next Buy phase, +1 Buy, +$1 per token in your Satan Pit, and put this into the trash.

Setup: Each player puts 2 Fire tokens in his Satan Pit.

HeavyD

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2013, 12:51:53 pm »
+2

That's why I put the disclaimer at the bottom. I'm fine with another Attack or Treasure, but they need to be drastically different. As far as attacks go, Followers is a cursor and a discarder, which are the two "primary" attacks put into one (I feel). It would be easier to create a different treasure prize than a different attack prize (at least for me, I cannot come up with an idea for another prize-worthy attack). But I also think having a TfB prize, etc. prize would be more interesting (then again, I love TfB and not so much attacks.)

Edit: Also, Cornucopia's theme is variety, and my reason for posting what I did was to encourage variety amongst the Prizes.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 01:19:31 pm by HeavyD »

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2013, 08:29:52 pm »
+2

A new treasure-prize should probably be drastically different than Diadem. For example, you could make a treasure-prize that's actually useful!

What about I submit Diadem to this contest? It'd actually make Diadem a lot more useful ::).
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2013, 11:55:49 am »

The ballot is up with 25 entries! I'm pretty excited about this contest. Several cool ideas.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2013, 12:18:29 pm »

I still like my own submission to be a finalist, but this is the first contest in which immediately after reading the ballot list I regret making it because other ideas seem a lot cooler.

AJD

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2013, 12:27:59 pm »

Fortune
While this is in play, you may not play Action cards from your hand.

I see what you're trying to do there, but it still doesn't work, because you could still Golem into this plus Throne Room.

GwinnR

• Tactician
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
    • German Youtube-Videos
« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2013, 12:39:15 pm »

My favourites:

Rusty the Donkey
Types: Action – Prize
Cost: $0*
+4 Actions. Trash a card from your hand. Choose one: Gain a card with cost up to the number of unused Actions you have (Actions, not Action cards); or gain a card costing up to $4 more than the trashed card; or gain two cards each costing up to $2 more than the trashed card.
So cool choices and it uses the "unused-action-idea" of Diadem in an interesting way.

Grace of the King
+1 Action. While this is in play, when you play an Action card the first time this turn, play it again.

Clarification: This affects each individual card, not just each differently named card. So if you played this and played a Village (twice), then played another Village, you would also play that second Village twice.
What a crazy card! Just a Throne Room for all following action-cards. I think it would be cooler (and better fitting Cornucopia) if this would affect just differently named card. But the idea is very funny.

Signet Ring
Types: Treasure – Prize
Worth $0. +1 Buy. When you play this, you may discard a card that is not a Victory card; +$ equal to its cost. You may discard a Victory card; +$ equal to half its cost (rounded down).
Nice discard-for-benefit idea.

ECF Council
Types: Victory – Prize
Worth 1 VP per Tournament in your deck.
Yeah! Gain all the Tournaments ;-)

Golden Hammer
Trash a card from your hand. Gain a card costing up to $4 more than it.
[/quote]
Simple but cool.
Nobody's perfect, but I'm only a nobody o.O

My german Youtube-Channel: http://www.youtube.com/gwinnrdominion

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2013, 03:32:17 pm »

Favour
You may return this to the Prize pile. If you do, +5 Cards and trash any number of cards from your hand.

It's interesting, but I'm not sure I'm a fan of one-shot Prizes. The effect is good though. I wonder if trashing from a Prize is too late game for it to really be worth it though. I mean many times players already try to get a lot of Tournaments and trash down to make them connect with Provinces, but I guess this would be nice in a Cursing game.

Wizard
If this is the first Action card you played this turn, +3 Cards and +1 Action. Otherwise, +1 Card and +3 Actions.

Nice and simple, yet can be very strong. I don't like that it can sort of flop though. Considering it's a Prize, I think it should always be good, but not game breaking good. Diadem can sort of flop too, but I also think it's the least Prize-like Prize.

Shield of Virtue
Types: Action – Reaction – Prize
+1 Card. +1 Action. Look through your discard pile. You may trash a card from your hand or your discard pile.

When another player plays an Attack card, you may reveal this from your hand. If you do, you are unaffected by that Attack.

It feels like moat to me. I sort of want Prizes to be unique, while this feel just like a re-do of Moat.

Rusty the Donkey
+4 Actions. Trash a card from your hand. Choose one: Gain a card with cost up to the number of unused Actions you have (Actions, not Action cards); or gain a card costing up to $4 more than the trashed card; or gain two cards each costing up to $2 more than the trashed card.

I like each part of it, but I feel the remodel and the Diadem-gaining effect are unrelated. I think it's good enough that it could just be the Remodel part, and it would still feel unique enough to be a Prize.

Servicemen
+1 Action. Trash a card from your hand. Gain a card costing up to $3 more than the trashed card, putting it into your hand.

Nice. Simple, powerful yet not game breaking good. There's no to-hand remodels in the game yet, and this feels like the right way to put one in.

Wishing Ring
+1 Action. Choose an Action card from the Supply and play it.

When another player plays an Attack card, you may reveal this. If you do, choose one: Gain a copy of the Attack card, putting it into your hand and this card onto your deck; or you are not affected by the Attack.

Is the top supposed to be like BoM? If so it should be worded that way. Otherwise it seems like it gains the card and plays it. I like the Reaction though. It may not need the Moat part, but I think it's good as is.

Jousting Rod
+1 Action. Gain an Action card costing up to $5, putting it into your hand.

When another player plays a Tournament, you may discard this. If you do, gain 2 Action cards each costing up to $5, putting them into your hand.

Tournaments already start to be unreliable when other players buy Provinces. Penalizing them for trying to get Prizes just adds to the 1st player advantage. It's too good even for a Prize.

Grace of the King
+1 Action. While this is in play, when you play an Action card the first time this turn, play it again.

Clarification: This affects each individual card, not just each differently named card. So if you played this and played a Village (twice), then played another Village, you would also play that second Village twice.

Throne Room for every card you play is insane. Too good even for a Prize.

Parade (A)
Discard any number of cards. +2 Cards per card discarded.

When you have no Actions left during your Action phase, you may reveal this from your hand. If you do, +3 Actions.

I like this one. It's a good reaction, helps your deck without being too good. The top is good too, but since it's terminal it's not crazy good. I'll probably vote for this.

Advertiser
Types: Aciton – Prize
+1 Action. +$2. Reveal up to 2 Action cards from your hand. For each card revealed this way, gain a copy of it.

Not sure what to think. I don't know how good this is. I think I'll wait to see what others say.

Remote Holding
Types: Action – Victory – Prize
+3 Cards. +1 Buy. You may trash a card from your hand.

Worth 30 VP if you have no other Victory or Prize cards in your deck.

The top isn't that interesting, and the bottom will never happen. And even if it does, it probably won't be worth enough to win the game.

Heroic Epic
Cost: $12*
+1 Card. +1 Action. +$1.

When you reveal this card, you may name any number of types and card names.  This card has all of those types and card names until the end of the turn (and none of its former types and names).

Why? Why everything on this card? Why does this cost $12? Why do you even need to this to have all the names of everything. It doesn't even get the effects, so why? Prizes are $0 always. I just don't see any reason for this card. It does nothing other than be a Peddler.

Parade (B)
Types: Victory – Reaction – Prize
Worth 1 VP plus 1 VP for every Prize in your deck.

When another player plays a Prize, you may discard this. If you do, gain that Prize when it is discarded from play, putting it on top of your deck.

No. Too good, too much advantage for who gets it, and the VP is not worth that much.

Signet Ring
Worth $0. +1 Buy. When you play this, you may discard a card that is not a Victory card; +$ equal to its cost. You may discard a Victory card; +$ equal to half its cost (rounded down).

Interesting.  Like a discard Counterfeit for everything. I like it.

ECF Council

Everyone spams often to get Prizes anyway. Plus it's not that many points, plus Tournaments are often dead cards once people buy Provinces. And it's just not super Interesting.

Magic Lamp
Gain an Action card costing up to $4. Play it.

Super Ironworks. I like it but I think it should be "Gain a cards costing up to $4. If it's and Action cards, play it."

Jubilee
You may return this to the Prize pile. If you do, choose an Action card in your hand and play it five times.

Crazy and I don't like one-shot Prizes.

Faithful Hound
+1 Action. Name two cards. Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal a copy of the first named card; put it into your hand. Put all revealed copies of the second named card on your deck. Discard the rest.

It's good. Probably get my vote.

Blessing
Look through your discard pile. Trash any number of cards from it.

I just doesn't feel very Prizey. I dunno.

Liege
+2 Buys. While this is in play, when you buy a Copper, you may trash a card from your hand and gain a card costing up to $2 more than it.

Is this really that good? It's similar to Farmland, but you need to buy Coppers. I'm not convinced it'll match up even to Diadem or Bag of Gold.

King's Favor
+1 Action. +1 Card per Tournament you have in play.

While this is in play, when you play a Tournament, +1 Card and +$1.

This defeats the point of Tournament becoming unreliable. I say no.

Ringmaster
Types: Action – Attack – Prize
+$2. Each other player reveals the top 3 cards of his deck, trashes a revealed Treasure card, discards the revealed Action cards, and puts the rest back in any order.

Rabble, + Treasure trashing. From this it the treasure is not chosen by the attacker, so it can help opponents, but with the Rabble part it seems fairly strong. Feels like Followers, but for trashing rather than cursing. It seems ok.

Fortune
Gain up to 4 Coppers, putting them into your hand. Reveal your hand. Reveal one card from your deck per Copper in your hand; put one of them that you choose into your hand and discard the rest.

I junk myself with copper, then can't play anymore cards? I don't see it being that good, or maybe I'm missing something.

Shield
+3 Cards.

When another player plays an Attack card, you may reveal this from your hand. If you do, draw until you have 6 cards in hand and you are unaffected by that Attack.

This is exactly what I imagine a Prize-Reaction would look like. It'll get my vote fur sure.

Golden Hammer

Simple powerful version of Remodel. Doesn't feel crazy like the other Prizes, but I'll consider voting for it.

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2013, 05:13:19 pm »

A word about my favorites (Disclaimer: one of the submitted cards is mine):

Wizard
If this is the first Action card you played this turn, +3 Cards and +1 Action. Otherwise, +1 Card and +3 Actions.

I really like this Prize. This surprises me, because it sort of boils down to a combination of vanilla bonuses, which I usually hate. If it just gave you a choice between the two options, I probably wouldn't like it. But the fact that its ability depends on when it's played makes it interesting to me, and I like that the two possibilities are mirrors of each other. This one definitely gets my vote.

Servicemen
+1 Action. Trash a card from your hand. Gain a card costing up to $3 more than the trashed card, putting it into your hand.

A Prize is a great place to do a card that remodels into your hand. I don't love the name of the card, but I'll still vote for it. I think $3 more is the best amount, too. I don't think I'd tweak this card in any way.

Signet Ring

I want to like this one, but I think it needs to be simpler. The way it's worded, you can discard both a non-Victory card and a Victory card. Although I changed the wording, I do believe the original wording was like this, too. I'd like it better if you just discarded one card. That aside, I think I'd prefer if it either couldn't discard Victory cards or if it just always gave you half the cost. Probably the former.

Magic Lamp

I like the elegant simplicity of this one. Although it would be much more exciting if it could gain $5 cards, I think it would compare way too favorably to Bag of Gold in that case. Maybe that would be OK, though. Either way, I'll vote for this.

Faithful Hound
+1 Action. Name two cards. Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal a copy of the first named card; put it into your hand. Put all revealed copies of the second named card on your deck. Discard the rest.

This is complex, but I think it's a cool mechanic and I can't think of a good way to make it simpler. And sometimes cards can be complex! I like the name, too. I'll vote for this.

Ringmaster
+$2. Each other player reveals the top 3 cards of his deck, trashes a revealed Treasure card, discards the revealed Action cards, and puts the rest back in any order.

A trasher/mucker analog to Followers's discarder/junker. The more I think about it, the more I like it. Because it's a Prize, specifically targeting Action cards seems acceptable to me. Chances are you're not going to avoid buying Actions just because another player might get this. And it targets Treasures too, so there's that. I would like it better if you got to choose the Treasure card(s) trashed. I think I'll still vote for it, though.

Finally, for those of you criticizing the wording of Wishing Ring: some of you say it should be worded like Band of Misfits. Tell me how to do that while keeping the +1 Action, and I will change the wording.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2013, 05:19:51 pm »
+1

I didn't submit anything to this one!

These were fairly difficult to critique.  For a lot of them I say "too powerful", but I'm not entirely certain about that.  Prizes ARE quite powerful.  I generally say that a submission is too powerful if I think it will often be more dominating than Followers is on a board without other cursers.  Still, it is difficult to judge.

Favour
You may return this to the Prize pile. If you do, +5 Cards and trash any number of cards from your hand.

Whoaaa.  Tournament and Prizes in general often end up as "win more" cards, but this one does that even more.  Get a play of this and you can clean out A LOT of your deck.  +5 cards and trash any amount, that is huge.  Returning to the Prize pile (which isn't entirely accurate?  It's not a pile, right?) helps a little by letting others use it as well, but the momentum for the frist player to do it would be hard to overcome.  That amount of deck trimming would make it way easier to connect Tournaments and Provinces in subsequent turns.

Wizard

Not a fan of the card name here (the King isn't just going to give away his Wizard!) but I like the mechanic.

Shield of Virtue
+1 Card. +1 Action. Look through your discard pile. You may trash a card from your hand or your discard pile.

When another player plays an Attack card, you may reveal this from your hand. If you do, you are unaffected by that Attack.

I think this is alright.  At first glance it seems a bit weak and boring for a prize, but the thing I like is that it acts as a counter to Followers.  It can Moat the attacks and it can clean up the Curses that are received.  I don't think this Shield becomes a priority prize, but it can be a nice pick for a player defending against Followers.

Rusty the Donkey

The name is cute (Trusty, Rusty -- ISWYDT) but I'm not a fan of it overall.  The actions feel overly complex.  I feel like it would be better if it were more focused.

the first choice is basically Workshop with the potential to gain more expensive cards with villages.  The super-Expand is interesting.  The double Remodel is OK.  I feel like it would be better if it just did the super Expand alone.  Actually, Expand-by-$4 would be really, really powerful, maybe even too good on its own, let alone with other choices.

Servicemen

Non-terminal Expand-to-hand.  I'm OK with that as a Prize.  Name could be better.

Wishing Ring
+1 Action. Choose an Action card from the Supply and play it.

When another player plays an Attack card, you may reveal this. If you do, choose one: Gain a copy of the Attack card, putting it into your hand and this card onto your deck; or you are not affected by the Attack.

Not a fan.  Playing Action cards from the Supply just brings up a host of questions (do I get to keep the action? what happens if the action gets trashed?).  The reaction choice doesn't matter because you can do both.  You can reveal it and choose to Moat, then reveal it again to gain the Attack card.  Moreover, the reaction is broken with Secret Chamber:

Reveal Wishing Ring (WR), gain attack card in hand, top-deck WR.  Reveal SC, swap attack card (or something else) with WR.  Repeat.  Gain all the attacks.

Jousting Rod
+1 Action. Gain an Action card costing up to $5, putting it into your hand.

When another player plays a Tournament, you may discard this. If you do, gain 2 Action cards each costing up to $5, putting them into your hand.

Jousting Rod?  Like, a lance?  Why would the Knight who won the tournament need a new lance? ;)

The action seems OK to me.  Might be a bit too powerful, so shifting it to match Bag of Gold might be better (i.e. top-deck the gained action).  I feel like the reaction is too good though.

Grace of the King

That seems way, way too good.  Yeah Prizes can be powerful and all that... but this seems way over the top.  Permanent Throne Room for every card?  I mean, seriously?  And think of what it would do to King's Court!  *shudder*

Parade (A)
Discard any number of cards. +2 Cards per card discarded.

When you have no Actions left during your Action phase, you may reveal this from your hand. If you do, +3 Actions.

The action is fine.  I've definitely seen it around before (might have done it myself?  eh, probably not) but it is well-suited to Prize status given its power.  I don't like the reaction though.  It is pretty much a permanent village.  People realize that reactions can be revealed multiple times, right?  Play terminal, reveal Parade, play 3 more terminals, reveal Parade again... it's too easy.

Advertiser
Types: Aciton – Prize
+1 Action. +$2. Reveal up to 2 Action cards from your hand. For each card revealed this way, gain a copy of it.

Name is too modern.  It's an action Silver that can clone up to two action cards.  I think that's alright, but it's not particularly exciting to me.

Remote Holding
Types: Action – Victory – Prize
+3 Cards. +1 Buy. You may trash a card from your hand.

Worth 30 VP if you have no other Victory or Prize cards in your deck.

So the name is... remote as in secluded and holding as in something/land you own?  OK, but it sounds a bit weird.

The action is decently powerful.  The VP value is... really weird.  Weird to the point of pointlessness.  To get it in the first place you need to have a Province in your deck, so it's already worth 0VP when you first gain it.  To get those 30VP you have to trash your Province.  You also need to trash starting Estates, and you have to give up on getting any other Provinces or Duchies.  The points in Provinces and Duchies are worth more than 30VP, so... I suppose the use case for this is to try to 3-pile with your 30VP before someone else can overtake you.  It does provide its own +1 Buy to help with that, plus it has trashing to help get rid of the Estates and Province.  I mean, it's interesting.  I give it that.  But I don't know.  It's a little too far out there for my taste.

Heroic Epic
Cost: $12*
+1 Card. +1 Action. +$1.

When you reveal this card, you may name any number of types and card names.  This card has all of those types and card names until the end of the turn (and none of its former types and names).

I like the cost.  With the vanilla bonuses, it is basically a super Peddler.  The "on reveal" doesn't really make sense to me.  "When you reveal" -- is that specific to cards that tell you to reveal things, or does it include the act of playing Heroic Epic?  If you give it the Victory type and nothing else, can you still play it?  Presumably not.  If someone plays a Mountebank can you immediately call it a Curse and reveal it?  Presumably not, because it needs to be revealed first.

And what's the point anyway?  Need some help with this because I can't think of any stellar interactions.  Call it a Copper to buff Coppersmith?

Parade (B)
Types: Victory – Reaction – Prize
Worth 1 VP plus 1 VP for every Prize in your deck.

When another player plays a Prize, you may discard this. If you do, gain that Prize when it is discarded from play, putting it on top of your deck.

It's another win-more prize.  Not a fan.  I actually thought of submitting something like this, except it was looking at the opponent's deck instead, to act as a catch-up mechanic.  Anyway, this is worth 1-5VP only so it's not even that great, but it's still better for the current-winner which rubs me the wrong way.  The reaction is even worse.  Stealing prizes is too good and it just makes everyone else afraid of playing their hard-earned prizes.

Signet Ring

It's a super Salvager.  I am OK with this, I think.  Maybe too powerful for draining Province after you have a lead.  I really like the name; it was something I suggested long ago (and also probably in the thread for the Prosperity contest).

ECF Council

I don't understand the name.  The VP value is probably better than Duchy, probably not as much as Province.  It's OK, but not super exciting.

Magic Lamp

I like the name.  The action is alright for a Prize, but it could probably be made even better.  Like, make it a cantrip.

Jubilee
You may return this to the Prize pile. If you do, choose an Action card in your hand and play it five times.

Man, even with returning it to the prize pile, it seems too good.  Especially because you could immediately gain it back with another Tournament, then play it again.

Faithful Hound

The card name doesn't quite work for me (the faithful hound is probably one that you raised yourself, not one you randomly win at a tournament).  The action is pretty neat.  OTOH, perhaps the action is too strong for pulling together more Province-Tournament combos.

Blessing
Look through your discard pile. Trash any number of cards from it.

That's really good... too good?  Not sure.  That's really strong trashing though; it might be more game-swinging than Followers.

Liege
+2 Buys. While this is in play, when you buy a Copper, you may trash a card from your hand and gain a card costing up to $2 more than it.

One play of this card and you can Remodel up to 3 cards, but you have gain a Copper for each one.  Actually sounds kind of weak to me.

King's Favor
+1 Action. +1 Card per Tournament you have in play.

While this is in play, when you play a Tournament, +1 Card and +$1.

It basically makes Tournaments better.  I think I'm OK with that concept.  It might make Tournaments too good though, especially when the opponent doesn't happen to have a Province in hand to block it.  Hmm.

Ringmaster

It's a powerful trashing and deck inspection attack.  However, it's probably just fine as a Prize.  The wording needs to be a bit more clear -- specifically, it should specify who chooses when multiple Treasures are revealed.

Fortune
Gain up to 4 Coppers, putting them into your hand. Reveal your hand. Reveal one card from your deck per Copper in your hand; put one of them that you choose into your hand and discard the rest.

Well, that's strange.  You play this and you can filter one card out of a lot... but then you can't play any more actions.  And you might have had to gain a bunch of Copper to do that.  OTOH, you do gain them into hand so this is kind of like +$4.  I don't know.  Might be too weak?  Might be fine too.

Shield
+3 Cards.

When another player plays an Attack card, you may reveal this from your hand. If you do, draw until you have 6 cards in hand and you are unaffected by that Attack.

I think this is alright.  The reaction is pretty neat.  It's like a combination of Horse Traders and Moat.  You get to do a bit more with it though -- against discard attacks, if you know more than one will be coming, you could choose to discard junk to the first one and then Shield-react to the second to draw back up to 6.

I actually think this would be fairly interesting as an actual card, rather than just a prize.

Golden Hammer

Oh hey, back with Rusty the Donkey I said that a super-Expand alone might be good, and here it is.  Yeah, it might be good.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2013, 05:23:36 pm »
+1

The only idea I really had for this was:

(Unnamed)
Types: Victory - Prize
Worth 1VP for each Province and Prize in the decks of other players.

It's probably not great as is, but the idea is that it would be a better card for the player who isn't winning the Province/Tournament game.  I didn't think it was interesting enough to submit though, especially because it'll often be decent for the leading player anyway.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 21 queries.