Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Author Topic: Treasure Chest Design Contest — Card #A: Prize Card  (Read 39339 times)

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
Treasure Chest Design Contest — Card #A: Prize Card
« on: November 08, 2013, 10:55:54 am »
+3

This additional special contest is to design a new Prize card!

Submission Rules

• Submit no more than one card per challenge.
• You are not obligated to submit a card for every challenge.
• Submit your card to me via this forum's messaging system.  Submissions made after each week's deadline cannot be accepted.
• Each card you submit must have a name, a cost, a list of types, and the exact wording that should appear on the card.  Also include a brief description of any special design considerations (e.g., Stash having a unique back), but do NOT include any other information, such as strategic commentary or examples about it would play.
• Unlike the previous set design contest, the name you give your card will appear on the ballot. If multiple cards with the same name are submitted, I will differentiate them with letters in a randomly chosen order, e.g. [Card Name] A, [Card Name] B, etc. Cards themselves will likewise be listed in a random order on the ballot.
• I will accept revisions to your contest entries provided they are submitted to me before the deadline.  If you submit a revision to an entry you have previously submitted to me, resubmit your revised card(s) in their entirety.  That is, don't tell me "Oh, can you make that +2 Cards say +3 Cards instead?"  Just resubmit the full card.
• Only submit cards that are your own design.
• You may submit cards that have been previously posted here in this forum, including those that have been refined by the community as a whole, provided you can still claim that the central conceit of the card -- and the majority of its final version -- is yours.
• A single card might conceivably qualify for multiple challenges within this series. If your card doesn't win the first challenge you submit it to, you may submit it for any and all future challenges (until it wins), provided the card fits those challenges. This is particularly pertinent for cards that don't win the first of two slots for a large expansion, although depending on which card does win, your card may not qualify for the second challenge.
• Do not disclose your submissions publicly, either in this thread or elsewhere!

For this Treasure Chest set, you may not submit cards that combine certain mechanics from multiple expansions. The idea is that you could simply slot the cards into their respective sets without needing components or rules specific to another set. Specifically:

• Duration cards may only be submitted as candidates for a Seaside slot.
• Potion-cost cards may only be submitted as candidates for the Alchemy slot.
• Cards that use VP tokens or cost $7 or more may only be submitted as candidates for a Prosperity slot.
• Cards that use Coin tokens and cards that use overpay may only be submitted as candidates for the Guilds slot.
• Cards that use Ruins (Looters) and cards that use Spoils may only be submitted as candidates for a Dark Ages slot.

Many mechanics are fair game for any submission. The following is an incomplete list.

• Victory/Action and Victory/Treasure hybrid cards.
• Cards that allow you to choose an ability from a list.
• Cards with on-buy, would-gain, on-gain, and on-trash abilities.

Challenge #A: Prize

Design a new Prize card that can be gained via Tournament. Ideally a new Prize card will be sufficiently different from existing Prize cards.

The deadline for this contest is Sunday November 17th, 2013.

If you have any questions, please post them here or send me a private message and I will endeavor to answer them in a timely manner. Good luck!

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Treasure Chest Design Contest — Card #A: Prize Card
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 10:56:26 am »
+4

Favour
Types: Action – Prize
Cost: $0*
You may return this to the Prize pile. If you do, +5 Cards and trash any number of cards from your hand.

Wizard
If this is the first Action card you played this turn, +3 Cards and +1 Action. Otherwise, +1 Card and +3 Actions.

Shield of Virtue
Types: Action – Reaction – Prize
+1 Card. +1 Action. Look through your discard pile. You may trash a card from your hand or your discard pile.

When another player plays an Attack card, you may reveal this from your hand. If you do, you are unaffected by that Attack.

Rusty the Donkey
+4 Actions. Trash a card from your hand. Choose one: Gain a card with cost up to the number of unused Actions you have (Actions, not Action cards); or gain a card costing up to $4 more than the trashed card; or gain two cards each costing up to $2 more than the trashed card.

Servicemen
+1 Action. Trash a card from your hand. Gain a card costing up to $3 more than the trashed card, putting it into your hand.

Wishing Ring
+1 Action. Choose an Action card from the Supply and play it.

When another player plays an Attack card, you may reveal this. If you do, choose one: Gain a copy of the Attack card, putting it into your hand and this card onto your deck; or you are not affected by the Attack.

Jousting Rod
+1 Action. Gain an Action card costing up to $5, putting it into your hand.

When another player plays a Tournament, you may discard this. If you do, gain 2 Action cards each costing up to $5, putting them into your hand.

Grace of the King
+1 Action. While this is in play, when you play an Action card the first time this turn, play it again.

Clarification: This affects each individual card, not just each differently named card. So if you played this and played a Village (twice), then played another Village, you would also play that second Village twice.

Parade (A)
Discard any number of cards. +2 Cards per card discarded.

When you have no Actions left during your Action phase, you may reveal this from your hand. If you do, +3 Actions.

Advertiser
Types: Aciton – Prize
+1 Action. +$2. Reveal up to 2 Action cards from your hand. For each card revealed this way, gain a copy of it.

Remote Holding
Types: Action – Victory – Prize
+3 Cards. +1 Buy. You may trash a card from your hand.

Worth 30 VP if you have no other Victory or Prize cards in your deck.

Heroic Epic
Cost: $12*
+1 Card. +1 Action. +$1.

When you reveal this card, you may name any number of types and card names.  This card has all of those types and card names until the end of the turn (and none of its former types and names).

Parade (B)
Types: Victory – Reaction – Prize
Worth 1 VP plus 1 VP for every Prize in your deck.

When another player plays a Prize, you may discard this. If you do, gain that Prize when it is discarded from play, putting it on top of your deck.

Signet Ring
Types: Treasure – Prize
Worth $0. +1 Buy. When you play this, you may discard a card that is not a Victory card; +$ equal to its cost. You may discard a Victory card; +$ equal to half its cost (rounded down).

ECF Council
Types: Victory – Prize
Worth 1 VP per Tournament in your deck.

Magic Lamp
Gain an Action card costing up to $4. Play it.

Jubilee
You may return this to the Prize pile. If you do, choose an Action card in your hand and play it five times.

Faithful Hound
+1 Action. Name two cards. Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal a copy of the first named card; put it into your hand. Put all revealed copies of the second named card on your deck. Discard the rest.

Blessing
Look through your discard pile. Trash any number of cards from it.

Liege
+2 Buys. While this is in play, when you buy a Copper, you may trash a card from your hand and gain a card costing up to $2 more than it.

King's Favor
+1 Action. +1 Card per Tournament you have in play.

While this is in play, when you play a Tournament, +1 Card and +$1.

Ringmaster
Types: Action – Attack – Prize
+$2. Each other player reveals the top 3 cards of his deck, trashes a revealed Treasure card, discards the revealed Action cards, and puts the rest back in any order.

Fortune
Gain up to 4 Coppers, putting them into your hand. Reveal your hand. Reveal one card from your deck per Copper in your hand; put one of them that you choose into your hand and discard the rest.

While this is in play, you may not play Action cards from your hand.

Shield
+3 Cards.

When another player plays an Attack card, you may reveal this from your hand. If you do, draw until you have 6 cards in hand and you are unaffected by that Attack.

Golden Hammer
Trash a card from your hand. Gain a card costing up to $4 more than it.

Stalwart Mule
+4 Actions. Gain a card costing up to $1 per unused Action you have (Action, not Action card).
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 11:03:39 am by LastFootnote »

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 10:56:35 am »
+1

Magic LampLastFootnote13
Stalwart Mulenopawnsintended13
Servicemendnkywin11
WizardRobz8889
Golden Hammerangrybirds9
FavourConMan8
Shieldyuma8
Parade (A)Schneau7
Shield of VirtuePolk54406
Signet RingHeavyD6
JubileeNoMoreFun6
LiegeJean Michel6
RingmasterKingZog36
Rusty the Donkeynopawnsintended5
Faithful HoundA Drowned Kernel5
Remote Holdingnicrosil4
BlessingXerxesPraelor4
King’s Favorsoulnet4
Heroic Epicjamespotter3
Jousting Rodignorentmen2
Grace of the KingGwinnR2
Advertisermarkusin2
Wishing Ringandwilk1
Parade (B)RobertJ1
ECF CouncilJack Rudd1
FortuneGuy Srinivasan1
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 01:52:17 pm by LastFootnote »

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 12:23:51 pm »

tag
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2013, 06:23:56 pm »

Hopefully we get some really crazy submissions for this.

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2013, 06:33:28 pm »

There are a lot of unique things you can only do on a card that there's only one of.

Nic

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +85
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2013, 08:00:23 pm »

I'm hoping Palanquin makes an appearance. It sounded like a really fun card, just a little too scary in large quantities.

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2013, 04:23:22 am »

How many winners will this contest have? Just one?
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2013, 09:51:45 am »

Huh, that's a good question. One winner unless I change my mind.

ChocophileBenj

• Minion
  • Respect: +575
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2013, 08:16:40 pm »
+3

And will the winner of this challenge have a prize ?
Chocolate is like victory points in Dominion. Both taste good but they'll hurt you if you eat too much of it instead of something else in your early days.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2013, 12:55:03 am »

Do the normal restrictions on not allowing mechanics from other sets still apply? Can I have my Looter - Prize?

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2013, 01:01:15 am »

Can I have my Looter - Prize?
Please don't.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2013, 01:01:45 am »

Do the normal restrictions on not allowing mechanics from other sets still apply? Can I have my Looter - Prize?

(Looter–Prize is obviously a nonstarter because it would in effect make Tournament itself a Looter. Duration–Prize would be a better question.)

ConMan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2013, 01:18:45 am »

(Looter–Prize is obviously a nonstarter because it would in effect make Tournament itself a Looter. Duration–Prize would be a better question.)
I'm not *actually* thinking Looter-Prize, but I'd say that it wouldn't directly affect Tournament's type in the same way I wouldn't expect Urchin to become a Looter if Mercenary was one. That said, I don't think I'll wind up using a specific other-set mechanic, but might do something that has a bit of another set's theme.

AJD

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2013, 01:37:01 am »

I'm not *actually* thinking Looter-Prize, but I'd say that it wouldn't directly affect Tournament's type in the same way I wouldn't expect Urchin to become a Looter if Mercenary was one. That said, I don't think I'll wind up using a specific other-set mechanic, but might do something that has a bit of another set's theme.

I mean, it wouldn't affect Tournament's type in that it wouldn't cause the word "Looter" to magically appear on the bottom of the card. But it would mean that if Tournament is in the supply, Ruins are in the supply, so it's a Looter in effect.

MrFrog

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: MrFrog
  • Respect: +101
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2013, 02:32:57 am »

Is that true? If no other Looters are in the game, there wouldn't be any Ruins, because Prizes are not in the supply.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2127
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2013, 08:10:43 am »

Huh, that's a good question. One winner unless I change my mind.

However many slots there are left when all's done?

AJD

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2013, 10:18:14 am »
+1

Is that true? If no other Looters are in the game, there wouldn't be any Ruins, because Prizes are not in the supply.

Ruins are also in the supply if a Looter is in the Black Market deck. Since Tournament is essentially a Black Market variant, I infer that the same applies if a Looter is in the Prize pile.

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2013, 11:03:17 am »
+4

For this contest, I'm going to be consistent and say that you can't use mechanics specific to other sets for your Prize card. So no Action–Duration–Prize, etc.

Also, even if we have 5 slots open, I'm likely to only allow one Prize, since the larger the Prize pile is, the longer it takes to figure out which Prize to gain when you win a Tournament. I suppose we could have 5 new Prizes and add a rule such that you only put 5 randomly selected Prizes in the pile for each game. I could be convinced of that if we actually have 5 great submissions.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 05:17:53 pm by LastFootnote »

ConMan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2013, 05:13:02 pm »

I mean, it wouldn't affect Tournament's type in that it wouldn't cause the word "Looter" to magically appear on the bottom of the card. But it would mean that if Tournament is in the supply, Ruins are in the supply, so it's a Looter in effect.
Ok, I concede your point. And that would indeed do strange things depending on how extra Prizes worked - for example, if you randomly chose 5 of the Prizes to be available, then Tournament would sometimes require Ruins and sometimes wouldn't. Well, the point is moot for this contest, but it's worth keeping in mind for other fan card things.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2146
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2013, 08:08:16 pm »
+2

I really think that we should have a "rule" that 5 prizes are chosen randomly to play with each game.  ("Rule" in quotes because obviously it can't be enforced, people will play however they want, but I think it should be the standard.)  If we make a sixth prize and make all six prizes available in every game with Tournament, then either we make the prize weak enough so as not to overshadow Followers and Trusty Steed, in which case it doesn't affect the game much, or it's a competitor for Followers and Trusty Steed, in which case Tournament gets a buff that I think we can all agree it really doesn't need.  On the other hand, if we pick five randomly each game from however many we end up with total, then Tournament gets a bit of a nerf, which is nice, and more variety from game to game, which is fun and interesting.

That being said, I think it makes sense to have more than one winner, and to choose the number of winners based on how the votes fall and how many extra slots are left of the 150 cards.  (For example if the top cards are like 20 votes for A, 18 votes for B, then 9 votes for C and D, then everything else less than 9 votes, and we only have three slots left, probably you wouldn't call C or D a winner because there's a clear gap between second and third place, plus it's a tie for third, so you would just have two prizes and an extra blank card.)  Of course then there's kind of an awkward pause for second place potential winners, where they have to wait until the end of the entire contest before finding out if their prize wins.  Maybe it would be better to just declare some number of winners based on the votes, and let that determine how many victory cards are allowed in the set.

Nic

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +85
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2013, 09:48:47 pm »

I really think that we should have a "rule" that 5 prizes are chosen randomly to play with each game.  ("Rule" in quotes because obviously it can't be enforced, people will play however they want, but I think it should be the standard.)  If we make a sixth prize and make all six prizes available in every game with Tournament, then either we make the prize weak enough so as not to overshadow Followers and Trusty Steed, in which case it doesn't affect the game much, or it's a competitor for Followers and Trusty Steed, in which case Tournament gets a buff that I think we can all agree it really doesn't need.  On the other hand, if we pick five randomly each game from however many we end up with total, then Tournament gets a bit of a nerf, which is nice, and more variety from game to game, which is fun and interesting.
  This. The more we throw in, the more games we get without Trusty Steed in the prize pile, and that I'm all in favor of.

That being said, I think it makes sense to have more than one winner, and to choose the number of winners based on how the votes fall and how many extra slots are left of the 150 cards.  (For example if the top cards are like 20 votes for A, 18 votes for B, then 9 votes for C and D, then everything else less than 9 votes, and we only have three slots left, probably you wouldn't call C or D a winner because there's a clear gap between second and third place, plus it's a tie for third, so you would just have two prizes and an extra blank card.)  Of course then there's kind of an awkward pause for second place potential winners, where they have to wait until the end of the entire contest before finding out if their prize wins.  Maybe it would be better to just declare some number of winners based on the votes, and let that determine how many victory cards are allowed in the set.
  That's a possibility, but I don't see any implementation of that going over well. If the cutoff depends on the actual votes after they're counted, then there's no way to keep it from feeling capricious or arbitrary. What I'd be in favor of (and actually something I'd like to see for all the contests) is to have the second place card get commemorated as well. Nothing fancy, but when we put up the card list on a sticky, post the winner and the Honorable Mention next to it.

I guess I really should've started a new thread for this, but every contest since Hinterlands has been incredibly close, and we've seen a lot of ties. In several of those contests, the second place finisher would have a serious handicap if it was submitted again. I'm warming up to Observatory, but it still doesn't look to good when compared with Mortuary, which has already won. Renovate is a really good card with one really bad interaction, and the cleanest way to fix it would be to make it into a Duration or something similar. But since Recycle won the Seaside contest, nobody's going to give the last Seaside slot to another Duration (or just gain-to-hand) Remodel variant. It's going to be kind of a big deal now that we're seeing the one-shot contests, which are also going to be the most popular. Once the losing cards have no chance of winning any more contests, voting will get even more contentious.

It's no big deal in the long run, and there's no need to decide until after the contest winners are posted, but the 2-3 top cards each round have consistently been of equal quality. If the second place cards can't make it into the box, they should still be recognized.

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2013, 09:49:35 am »
+2

Try to submit cards that could not otherwise fit into any design space.  The Prize pile is for those misfit cards that are either hard/impossible to price or can't scale up in a 10-card supply pile.  The current set of 5 does that fairly well with the exception of a power disparity in Followers/Trusty Steed, but nonetheless, there are situations where any prize can shine.
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

HeavyD

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2013, 11:48:05 am »
+1

Ideally a new Prize card will be sufficiently different from existing Prize cards.

I'm sure some (or maybe most) will disagree with me on this. As I am trying to brainstorm ideas for a Prize card, I'd like that to rule out the following:
Gold Gainer (Or even just Gainer) Prize ---- Bag of Gold
Treasure Card (Or benefit extra actions) Prize ---- Diadem
Attack Card Prize ---- Followers
Cost Reducer Prize ---- Princess
Vanilla Bonuses Prize ---- Trusty Steed

I wouldn't totally taboo treasure and attacks, but the need to be way different, very interesting, and stand up to the standard of Followers and Diadem.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 21 queries.