Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Author Topic: Treasure Chest Design Contest — Card #A: Prize Card  (Read 39250 times)

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
Re: Treasure Chest Design Contest — Card #A: Prize Card
« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2013, 05:32:45 pm »
+2

Returning to the Prize pile (which isn't entirely accurate?  It's not a pile, right?)

"gain a Prize (from the Prize pile)"

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2013, 05:36:35 pm »

Returning to the Prize pile (which isn't entirely accurate?  It's not a pile, right?)

"gain a Prize (from the Prize pile)"

OK, I stand corrected. :)

jpople02

• Steward
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2013, 10:25:53 pm »
+2

My thoughts on any of them about which I had thoughts:

Wizard
Types: Action – Prize
Cost: $0*
If this is the first Action card you played this turn, +3 Cards and +1 Action. Otherwise, +1 Card and +3 Actions.

I like this concept, but I feel like the condition in which it's really good is too niche.  Drawing cards is kind of undesirable if you still have this in your deck.  Maybe if the less-good version were better?  I just feel like there's a huge discrepancy between +3 Cards, +1 Action and +1 Card, +3 Actions.

Shield of Virtue
Types: Action – Reaction – Prize
+1 Card. +1 Action. Look through your discard pile. You may trash a card from your hand or your discard pile.

When another player plays an Attack card, you may reveal this from your hand. If you do, you are unaffected by that Attack.

Pretty straightforward.  I like being able to trash from your discard, and a cantrip reaction to Attacks is pretty good.  I think it works.

Rusty the Donkey
+4 Actions. Trash a card from your hand. Choose one: Gain a card with cost up to the number of unused Actions you have (Actions, not Action cards); or gain a card costing up to $4 more than the trashed card; or gain two cards each costing up to $2 more than the trashed card.

The gaining effect is all right, but doesn't seem like it'll be worth it very often.  Not to mention counting spare Actions gets to be a pain after 2 or 3, but maybe that's just me.  The first remodeling effect seems fine, but the second seems way too good.  Trash a Gold, gain two Provinces?  And with spare actions after that?  I'm pretty sure that's ridiculous, even for a Prize.

Servicemen
+1 Action. Trash a card from your hand. Gain a card costing up to $3 more than the trashed card, putting it into your hand.

I think this is a better way to handle the Remodeling.  Not crazy about the name, though.

Wishing Ring
+1 Action. Choose an Action card from the Supply and play it.

When another player plays an Attack card, you may reveal this. If you do, choose one: Gain a copy of the Attack card, putting it into your hand and this card onto your deck; or you are not affected by the Attack.

It's not entirely clear how the top works, as has been said.  I don't actually gain the card, right?  It's basically Band of Misfits?  Why not "Choose an Action card from the Supply and copy its effect"?

Jousting Rod
+1 Action. Gain an Action card costing up to $5, putting it into your hand.

When another player plays a Tournament, you may discard this. If you do, gain 2 Action cards each costing up to $5, putting them into your hand.

I actually really like this one.  I'm assuming it's supposed to also be a Reaction because of the bottom half?

Grace of the King
+1 Action. While this is in play, when you play an Action card the first time this turn, play it again.

Clarification: This affects each individual card, not just each differently named card. So if you played this and played a Village (twice), then played another Village, you would also play that second Village twice.

This seems OP, even for a Prize.  Any non-terminal is now a Village, which means if you have a Lab or something the rest of your turn is now ridiculous.

Advertiser
+1 Action. +$2. Reveal up to 2 Action cards from your hand. For each card revealed this way, gain a copy of it.

I don't like the name.  Too modern, and why would an advertiser be a Prize?  I'm also unsure about the +$2.  It seems tacked on.  Maybe find something else that works better with the Action-duplicating for a bonus?  What if you got to put one of the duplicates into your hand?

Remote Holding
Types: Action – Victory – Prize
+3 Cards. +1 Buy. You may trash a card from your hand.

Worth 30 VP if you have no other Victory or Prize cards in your deck.

I like the fact that you need a Victory card to get this but then you need to get rid of it for it to be worth much, but how often is 30 enough to win?  It would be cool if there were potential for expansion.  Maybe if it were just no Provinces and not no Victory cards?  That would seem to go with the +Buy.

Parade (B)
Types: Victory – Reaction – Prize
Worth 1 VP plus 1 VP for every Prize in your deck.

When another player plays a Prize, you may discard this. If you do, gain that Prize when it is discarded from play, putting it on top of your deck.

What if you had to return it to the Prize pile if you decided to steal someone else's?  Otherwise I don't see why the first person to get this isn't way ahead.

ECF Council
Types: Victory – Prize
Worth 1 VP per Tournament in your deck.

I don't really get the name.  Also, it seems like this is unlikely to be much better for you than just a Duchy, but I guess it could be interesting.

Blessing
Look through your discard pile. Trash any number of cards from it.

If you have this, a Golem and no other Actions in your deck, this is effectively "trash anything you want from your deck."  I can't decide if that's absurd or awesome.

Liege
+2 Buys. While this is in play, when you buy a Copper, you may trash a card from your hand and gain a card costing up to $2 more than it.

I dig the idea of "when you buy a Copper, X" but I don't know if I like your X.  That said, I have no idea what I'd make it.

Fortune
Gain up to 4 Coppers, putting them into your hand. Reveal your hand. Reveal one card from your deck per Copper in your hand; put one of them that you choose into your hand and discard the rest.

While this is in play, you may not play Action cards from your hand.

I don't know if the benefit is worth gaining 4 Coppers.  And that's without the "no other Actions" thing.  I don't really get the point of that, also.

Shield
+3 Cards.

When another player plays an Attack card, you may reveal this from your hand. If you do, draw until you have 6 cards in hand and you are unaffected by that Attack.

Super-Moat.  I like it.  Maybe give it a name that reflects its relation to that?  City Wall or something?  Although granted that doesn't make much sense as a Prize.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2013, 11:32:16 pm »
+2

Alright, I just feel like jumping into this. All those ideas that would have been broken as supply cards, work as prizes. It's awesome

Favour
You may return this to the Prize pile. If you do, +5 Cards and trash any number of cards from your hand.
Actually, this one is interesting because it lets you thin your deck in order to get more prizes. It's probably not the main reason you'd want to go for tournament though.

Wizard
If this is the first Action card you played this turn, +3 Cards and +1 Action. Otherwise, +1 Card and +3 Actions.
Hey, sometimes you want double-Village. This also has the chance of being a double-Lab. It's like Trusty Steed in that it's a nice, safe choice.

Shield of Virtue
+1 Card. +1 Action. Look through your discard pile. You may trash a card from your hand or your discard pile.

When another player plays an Attack card, you may reveal this from your hand. If you do, you are unaffected by that Attack.
It seems to me that this card's original reason for existence was probably to counter Followers. However, I do think the on-play effect is good enough on its own, based on my experience with Mortuary. Also, the moat reaction is nice to have on a card that's, you know, strong anyway.

Rusty the Donkey
+4 Actions. Trash a card from your hand. Choose one: Gain a card with cost up to the number of unused Actions you have (Actions, not Action cards); or gain a card costing up to $4 more than the trashed card; or gain two cards each costing up to $2 more than the trashed card.
Sorry Diadem, but I'd prefer this if it gave just 2 actions or something and didn't have the first option. Otherwise yeah, super remodel is okay for a prize.

Servicemen
+1 Action. Trash a card from your hand. Gain a card costing up to $3 more than the trashed card, putting it into your hand.
Here we see the advantages of being a prize card. You get a super Renovate, but only once a turn which means it doesn't have broken interactions with Fortress. If this wins, I can only hope that it ended up being Robz888's submission.

Wishing Ring

When another player plays an Attack card, you may reveal this. If you do, choose one: Gain a copy of the Attack card, putting it into your hand and this card onto your deck; or you are not affected by the Attack.
So this becomes a non-terminal version of the any attack on the board. Depends on the board, of course. Maybe it can borrow Band of Misfits' wording?

Jousting Rod

When another player plays a Tournament, you may discard this. If you do, gain 2 Action cards each costing up to $5, putting them into your hand.
That reaction is so brutal. Two people race to get the prizes, and then the player who doesn't get this ends with having every Tournament in their deck become a liability. I think this was trying to give the player who was late for the prizes a second chance, but it can easily end up doing the opposite.

Grace of the King
+1 Action. While this is in play, when you play an Action card the first time this turn, play it again.

Clarification: This affects each individual card, not just each differently named card. So if you played this and played a Village (twice), then played another Village, you would also play that second Village twice.
Only working once for each differently named card would probably balance this better. It can work though, since there is only one of them. I don't know, it's really hard to judge prize card strength.

Parade (A)
Discard any number of cards. +2 Cards per card discarded.

When you have no Actions left during your Action phase, you may reveal this from your hand. If you do, +3 Actions.
Wow, this is a really nifty engine card when you take into account that reaction ability. The reaction isn't too crazy, but it is insanely powerful when you're running a terminal draw deck.

Advertiser
Types: Aciton – Prize
+1 Action. +$2. Reveal up to 2 Action cards from your hand. For each card revealed this way, gain a copy of it.
Well, at least there can only be one of these in the game at a time, so the card gaining won't get too much out of hand. And hey, it's non-terminal, so you can still play those action cards. I doesn't help you find your action cards though. Hard to really gauge its strength

Remote Holding
Types: Action – Victory – Prize
+3 Cards. +1 Buy. You may trash a card from your hand.

Worth 30 VP if you have no other Victory or Prize cards in your deck.
This one jumped at me. I like it for some reason. Must it really have the no prize card restriction though? Anyway, this really opens up a 3-pile ending rush strategy. It may be heavy-handed in doing so, but I don't mind.

Heroic Epic
Cost: $12*
+1 Card. +1 Action. +$1.

When you reveal this card, you may name any number of types and card names.  This card has all of those types and card names until the end of the turn (and none of its former types and names).
Uhh...? So much complication for such a situational effect. What, do you get 200+ coins if Harvest hits this? Probably not, eh? I'm trying to think of when the reveal effect is really good, but I can't think of those situations right now.

Parade (B)
Types: Victory – Reaction – Prize
Worth 1 VP plus 1 VP for every Prize in your deck.

When another player plays a Prize, you may discard this. If you do, gain that Prize when it is discarded from play, putting it on top of your deck.
Prize stealing just seems so wrong, and makes the whole prize thing even more wonky than it already is. The VP effect really just lets you win while you're ahead.

Signet Ring
Types: Treasure – Prize
Worth $0. +1 Buy. When you play this, you may discard a card that is not a Victory card; +$ equal to its cost. You may discard a Victory card; +$ equal to half its cost (rounded down).
Not bad. I was hoping there would be a prize that gives you a way to get cash by making some sort of current turn sacrifice. This one does it in a way I approve of. So many neat cards here.

ECF Council
Types: Victory – Prize
Worth 1 VP per Tournament in your deck.
I don't like the idea of rewarding Tournament spam. When a player has tons of Tourneys, they either soar and crash hand, depending on whether another player has Province. I don't want a card that encourages that kind of swinginess.

Magic Lamp
Gain an Action card costing up to $4. Play it.
Hehe, Donald tried something like this on a supply card, I think. That was crazy, but this is a prize card and suddenly that makes this idea viable again. I like it. It lets you play Tournament when it's best to do so, but so does Band o' Misfits.

Jubilee
You may return this to the Prize pile. If you do, choose an Action card in your hand and play it five times.
Well, we have Madman. My first thought is that this isn't broken. What, KC is only really crazy when you use it to play other KCs

Faithful Hound
+1 Action. Name two cards. Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal a copy of the first named card; put it into your hand. Put all revealed copies of the second named card on your deck. Discard the rest.
Demonic tutor on a prize. I'm not sure what to think just yet, but I do know I like the top-decking effect on the second named card. But perhaps it encourages single card strategies too much?

Blessing
Look through your discard pile. Trash any number of cards from it.
I really don't like this one. The 1-copy-of-each-prize nerf is not a nerf at all here. You only need one play of this to create a super deck instantly.

Liege
+2 Buys. While this is in play, when you buy a Copper, you may trash a card from your hand and gain a card costing up to $2 more than it.
This turns Copper into Farmland. I kinda like it. However, Copper as Farmland means you can remodel a 6-cost card for every buy you have. It might be a bit too explosive.

King's Favor
+1 Action. +1 Card per Tournament you have in play.

While this is in play, when you play a Tournament, +1 Card and +$1.
It takes a bit of finesse to match Tournament with Province with only a couple of Tourneys. It's bound to happen if you get a bunch of them, but at a cost of having dead cards in your hand later. But then this card makes it so that all those thoughtless Tourney buys are rewarded anyway. No fair.

Ringmaster
Types: Action – Attack – Prize
+$2. Each other player reveals the top 3 cards of his deck, trashes a revealed Treasure card, discards the revealed Action cards, and puts the rest back in any order.
"Take that Diadem!" Seriously though, it's a much more bearable attack than Followers, and that's probably a good thing.

Fortune
Gain up to 4 Coppers, putting them into your hand. Reveal your hand. Reveal one card from your deck per Copper in your hand; put one of them that you choose into your hand and discard the rest.

While this is in play, you may not play Action cards from your hand.
It's already been pointed out that the bottom effect can't handle the Golem-hits-Throne-Room case. Does it even need that restriction? I mean, Beggar costs $2, and this is still a terminal prize.

Shield
+3 Cards.

When another player plays an Attack card, you may reveal this from your hand. If you do, draw until you have 6 cards in hand and you are unaffected by that Attack.
A shield seems like a natural fit for a prize. This is basically a super-Moat. Hey, there is still room for a Smithy variant prize

Golden Hammer
Trash a card from your hand. Gain a card costing up to $4 more than it.
Well, it's nice to know that we can at least vote for super-remodel if we want. Watch out, though, because this can turn a Tournament into a Province.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 20, 2013, 12:01:00 am »

Finally, for those of you criticizing the wording of Wishing Ring: some of you say it should be worded like Band of Misfits. Tell me how to do that while keeping the +1 Action, and I will change the wording.
Oops, I didn't catch the +1 Action in front of it. So then, I take back the BOM wording suggestion.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 20, 2013, 12:13:33 am »

I like the idea of reviewing one aspect of the cards, like Showdown35 did for the flavour of the Cornucopia entries. Here, I'm going to look at the on-themeness of the Prizes, based on the criteria that a Prize should do something a bit different, especially something that shouldn't be easy to stack because it would otherwise be too powerful or too confusing or otherwise detract from the game. I will also occasionally make comments on the strength or possible intent of the card. Disclaimer: I did submit a card, but I'm not saying whether it was in this group or not.

Favour
You may return this to the Prize pile. If you do, +5 Cards and trash any number of cards from your hand.
Strong on theme. A re-usable one-shot that has a powerful effect. Is slightly unusual in that the returning means that you will have a viable Prize option later in the game than normal. The effect may be designed to slightly counter Followers?

Wizard
Weak on theme. A super-Village except when it's a super-Lab, almost like a cross between Crossroads and Conspirator without the coin. Not as amazingly excitingly unique in terms of effect as other entries.

Shield of Virtue

Weak on theme. Borrows a bit from Hermit and a reaction from Moat. Not hugely unique, or particularly strong, but does provide a little protection from Followers.

Rusty the Donkey
Strong on theme. Effect is unusual, would be ridiculous if stacked, and borrows a little from other Prize concepts (Trusty Steed, Diadem) without directly copying them. Also lets you turn unwanted Tournaments into either Gold or Provinces. My main worry would be that with Throne Room or King's Court in the game it becomes a race to get this over anything else.

Servicemen
Strong on theme. A little Rebuild, a little Mine, a little Expand. Definitely an effect that would be nearly impossible to price reasonably as a normal card.

Wishing Ring

Strong on theme. It's a little Band of Misfits and a little something else, but as others have pointed out, needs some pretty crazy rules clarifications about whether you gain the card from the Supply and, if not, what you do about the card you're playing (even if it's "the card stays in the supply", what if you gain it afterwards?)

Jousting Rod

Moderate on theme. Doesn't really copy an existing Prize, although the effects are fairly similar to some other existing cards. The Reaction is definitely unique, and plays well off the fact that (a) having Prizes requires having Tournament, and (b) Tournament requires other players to react to it anyway, so the reaction won't significantly interrupt the flow of the game. That said, I suspect it's still too strong an effect.

Grace of the King

Strong on theme, but as others have said I would probably like it better if it triggered on differently named cards.

Parade (A)
Discard any number of cards. +2 Cards per card discarded.

When you have no Actions left during your Action phase, you may reveal this from your hand. If you do, +3 Actions.
Strong on theme. No other sifting Prizes, effect is much stronger than the average sifter and would probably be a bad thing to stack. Reaction is also unique and stacks poorly, although it forms a hellish combination with any half-way decent terminal draw and/or attack.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 20, 2013, 12:16:35 am »

Finally, for those of you criticizing the wording of Wishing Ring: some of you say it should be worded like Band of Misfits. Tell me how to do that while keeping the +1 Action, and I will change the wording.
I don't think it needs a wording change, but I do think it needs some rules clarifications. Intuitively, I'd assume that it works like you play a phantom copy of the card from the Supply, a bit like Throne Room plays a second, phantom copy of the Action card you play with it. The would then mean that, for example, it wouldn't trigger while-in-play effects, but would activate Conspirator.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 20, 2013, 01:48:22 am »
+3

Okay, here's my review of the Prizes. Sorry for the poorer audio...

I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 20, 2013, 11:18:17 am »
+2

Thanks for the video, Robz. I have a few comments and counterpoints.

First, I think it's funny that you call out Diadem as a card that could have been a Kingdom card since it was made into a Prize because it didn't work as a Kingdom card.  :D  I agree that it seems weak for a Prize, though.

Other than that, there are some cards I think you're misunderstanding or selling short:

Rusty the Donkey

OK, I don't think you're selling this one short, but in your video you assumed that the first choice anti-synergizes with Diadem because it "uses up" your unused Actions. I don't think it does that. I don't think Diadem does it either. If you Counterfeited Diadem with two Actions left, I think you'd get $8 (not including the $1 from Counterfeit).

On a side note, I think I'd like this card myself if it had a better name and only had the first option (and no trashing). So:

Stalwart Mule (or something)
Cost: 0*
+4 Actions. Gain a card costing up to $1 per Action you have (Action, not Action card).

Even without other villages, that's a Workshop with +4 Actions. Nothing to sneeze at.

Servicemen

I think you're selling this one way short. You can turn an Estate into a $5 card, which you can then immediately play? Yes, please! That's probably the best-case scenario, but I think I'd often be willing to trash Coppers for certain $3 cards in hand. And of course it can do everything Expand and Mine can do, only non-terminally! I'm flabbergasted that you called this "niche". I agree that it needs a better name.

Grace of the King

Yeah, the wording isn't great. But if the wording was, "While this is in play, when you play an Action card, play it again", then you'd be playing the same Action card ad infinitum. "I play a Smithy! OK, I just played an Action card, so I'll play that Smithy again! OK, I just played an Action card, so I'll play that Smithy again! OK, I just played an Action card, so I'll play that Smithy again!" Etc. I agree that it's too powerful, so I'm not super-stressed about finding the perfect wording for it just yet.

Magic Lamp

You kind of dismissed this out of hand since gaining $4 cards isn't that exciting. I think that's pretty valid. But think about if it could gain and play $5 cards. Compare it to Bag of Gold. Arguably, gaining any Action card costing up to $5 is better than just gaining a Gold. Furthermore, Bag of Gold puts the gained Gold on your deck, whereas this effectively puts the card into your hand. So such a card would be way, way better than Bag of Gold. I think eHalcyon's got the right idea with adding +1 Card and +1 Action to it. That way it's more appealing and you're more willing to gain terminal cards with it.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 11:20:12 am by LastFootnote »

ChocophileBenj

• Minion
  • Respect: +575
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 20, 2013, 11:50:43 am »

I didn't participate because I forgot and I had no solid idea, but I knew I would have something such as "Gain an action card, play it immediatly" or "Gain a card into your hand".

It will take time to comment,but I'll do so, there are many fun ideas, because it is the prize challenge !
Chocolate is like victory points in Dominion. Both taste good but they'll hurt you if you eat too much of it instead of something else in your early days.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 20, 2013, 12:30:24 pm »

Thanks for the video, Robz. I have a few comments and counterpoints.

First, I think it's funny that you call out Diadem as a card that could have been a Kingdom card since it was made into a Prize because it didn't work as a Kingdom card.  :D  I agree that it seems weak for a Prize, though.

Other than that, there are some cards I think you're misunderstanding or selling short:

Yeah, I've never been convinced of that. Why couldn't Diadem be a $5 Kingdom card? I'm quite convinced it would be much better as a $5 Kingdom card. it would still be incredibly weak, but at least you wouldn't have to jump through such hoops to get it on the once-in-a-blue-moon set where it's good.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 20, 2013, 12:31:20 pm »

+4 Actions. Gain a card costing up to $1 per Action you have (Action, not Action card).

Even without other villages, that's a Workshop with +4 Actions. Nothing to sneeze at.

I don't remember what I said about this one. Did I sneeze at it? Anyway, I'll agree with you now.

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 20, 2013, 01:13:16 pm »
+1

I don't remember what I said about this one. Did I sneeze at it? Anyway, I'll agree with you now.

You didn't say anything about this one because it wasn't submitted. It's my theoretical, simplified version of Rusty the Donkey.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 20, 2013, 01:27:16 pm »
+1

Oh! Oh oh oh. Okay, I'm not crazy.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 20, 2013, 04:12:43 pm »

I like the videos. Less reading :P I also had some comments on what Robz said.

Magic Lamp

I don't see this as boring. Gaining $4 cards is interesting enough. Maybe a fix could be to gain 2 $4 cards, and play one of them. This allows for gaining of Victory cards, or cards like Island without having to play them right away. I also see this as awkward with playing Treasure cards during your buy phase. Maybe they should go to your hand if it's a treasure card?

Ringmaster
+$2. Each other player reveals the top 3 cards of his deck, trashes a revealed Treasure card, discards the revealed Action cards, and puts the rest back in any order.

This does have the problem that it trashes Coppers. I feel it may be too strong if it can trash everything. Maybe a Noble Brigand clause, where it can only trash Silver and Golds? It would still put Golds and Silver back if you revealed more than one though, so maybe full Rabble too, where it discards treasures too.

Shield
+3 Cards.

You said this is boring, but I don't see how it's more boring than Princess or Bag of Gold. Princess is super cost reduction, and this is a super reaction. Bag of Gold just gains Gold, which really isn't that exciting.

Nic

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +85
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 20, 2013, 10:37:43 pm »
+1

Just getting my two cents in here. The cards I don't like have all been pretty unpopular, so I can just cover the ones I find particularly interesting.
Favour
I should just say up front that I want the new Prize card to be a one-shot, and I'd be really happy if it helped someone catch up if they're behind. Both Tournament and the prize cards are very good at helping a small lead snowball into a huge one, but none of them are very nice to the player who didn't get the Province first. Here, if a junked player manages to win a tournament, he can get back in the game with one play of this guy. Even if he comes late to the Prize party, there's a good chance it's been gained and returned. Besides the opportunities for catch-up, I like that you have a chance of a good prize being available throughout the entire game.

Some people are pretty sure it's too strong, even for a one-shot. I don't know either way, but I think it could be easily fixed by tweaking the numbers: either reduce to +4 cards, or cap the number of cards trashed to 4-5, or perhaps both. Even if you're worried about it, this looks to me like the purest case of 'vote now, tweak later' that we've seen so far.
Wizard
This guy I like, but I don't see it as all that terrifying to be a Kingdom card. Judging from the name, the designer might have tried it out as a potion-cost card, and I think that's the perfect place for it. It's viable at $3P, and I doubt it'd be game-breaking if it dropped down to $2P. I want to see this in the Alchemy contest.

Magic Lamp
Just echoing earlier comments; this card adds something new to the prizes and adds something unique to the game, but it should be made into a cantrip in order to make the power comparable with the other prizes. Luckily I think we could get some sort of consensus on this.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 10:52:24 pm by Nic »

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 21, 2013, 12:14:16 am »
+1

Wizard
This guy I like, but I don't see it as all that terrifying to be a Kingdom card. Judging from the name, the designer might have tried it out as a potion-cost card, and I think that's the perfect place for it. It's viable at $3P, and I doubt it'd be game-breaking if it dropped down to $2P. I want to see this in the Alchemy contest.

Well, I can think of an obvious reason it couldn't be a KIngdom card, though: It can't be stacked. Like, if you have more than one of this, the second and third and so on one that you play is vastly less interesting, because it's always Super Village, negating some of the strategic landscape of the card. So I think it does actually sort of have to be a Prize.

HeavyD

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 22, 2013, 01:30:06 pm »
+1

With Prizes not having a cost, this contest seems to be more concept oriented as it is difficult to create a "fair" prize.
There are probably balance issues with all of the submissions. That being said, here are my favorite concepts.

Rusty the Donkey

I've always been interested in an expensive workshop variant. I think this is a great way to do it. I like LFN's idea of just having the Workshop part. Another thing I like is that you can build your deck up like you would be going Diadem and even if Diadem is taken, you still have ol' Rusty! So I think this prize (maybe) increases Diadems power as a prize. Name is hilarious! I've always wanted a donkey!

Servicemen

This is a pretty solid prize. Simple and a Trash for Benefit. Gets my vote. Name is lame, but that's all I have against it. Gets my vote.

Signet Ring
Types: Treasure – Prize
Worth $0. +1 Buy. When you play this, you may discard a card that is not a Victory card; +$ equal to its cost. You may discard a Victory card; +$ equal to half its cost (rounded down).

This is a good idea with very poor balance. I love the discard for benefit! This just ranks up too much coin. I'd rather it discard 1 card. I don't think half the cost is the solution, cause then there isn't a benefit to discarding Treasure. Then again, discarding a Province would be too strong as that earns you a free Province. Maybe discarding a non-VP or a card costing up to $6? Still, earns my vote on concept.

Ringmaster

I know I hated on Attack-Prizes earlier, but I wanted an Attack-Prize that was vastly different from Followers. Here it is! It isn't my favorite like the above 3, but I am considering voting for this as well. Followers kinda = Witch + Militia; Ringmaster kinda = Rabble + Thief. Good job author!

nopawnsintended

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +186
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #68 on: November 26, 2013, 11:20:56 am »
+1

For this contest, I'm going to be consistent and say that you can't use mechanics specific to other sets for your Prize card. So no Action–Duration–Prize, etc.

Also, even if we have 5 slots open, I'm likely to only allow one Prize, since the larger the Prize pile is, the longer it takes to figure out which Prize to gain when you win a Tournament. I suppose we could have 5 new Prizes and add a rule such that you only put 5 randomly selected Prizes in the pile for each game. I could be convinced of that if we actually have 5 great submissions.

I'm a little late to see this comment because I've been away.  I like the solution to randomize which five prizes are available whenever Tournament (or some other Prize-gaining card) comes along.

Also, what's the deal with voting on this contest?  I looked for a voting deadline and didn't see it, but maybe it is because I haven't followed the thread.  Also looks like the thread hasn't received attention for a few days, so... what's going on? :)  Do I still have a chance to vote?

Just one specific comment in my confused state: I like Stalwart Mule, but it might need 5 Actions to be a Prize.  Maybe I'm just a fan of overpowered and complicated cards.  Yes, I think so.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 26, 2013, 04:49:21 pm »

Just one specific comment in my confused state: I like Stalwart Mule, but it might need 5 Actions to be a Prize.  Maybe I'm just a fan of overpowered and complicated cards.  Yes, I think so.

There's no card called Stalwart Mule?...

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2144
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 26, 2013, 05:40:38 pm »
+2

Stalwart Mule was LastFootnote's version of Rusty the Donkey.  It's the same except it only has the first option and takes out the trashing:

I like it a lot better this way, not every prize has to do everything, and I think that fewer words is really important for a prize, since most casual players will have to read 5 extra cards in every game with Tournament in it (maybe not a concern on f.ds but I think it's good to consider).

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 26, 2013, 06:38:17 pm »
+2

I personally prefer the Tenacious Zebra over the Stalwart Mule.

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 02, 2013, 11:06:06 am »
+1

Poll is (finally) up! I added Stalwart Mule because it's gotten some good press and I think it deserves its own entry. If it wins, credit goes to the author of Rusty the Donkey.

The poll runs a week!

There will be 5 winners for this contest. When using these new Prizes, use 5 random Prize cards chosen from the original Prizes and the new ones.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 02, 2013, 11:27:04 am »
+1

I voted based on position on the list, but I think (A) and (B) should be added in the poll to avoid confusion.

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 02, 2013, 11:42:34 am »

I voted based on position on the list, but I think (A) and (B) should be added in the poll to avoid confusion.

Ah, thanks. Will update.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 20 queries.