Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Author Topic: Treasure Chest Design Contest — Card #6: Cornucopia  (Read 48241 times)

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2144
    • View Profile
Re: Treasure Chest Design Contest — Card #6: Cornucopia
« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2013, 06:30:43 pm »
+2

Bounty
Types: Action
Cost: $5
Reveal then discard the top 2 cards of your deck. For each differently named card revealed, if it is an… Action card, +2 Actions; Treasure card, +$2; Victory card, +1 Card; Curse, +1 Buy.

Kind of like Tribute, but it does it to yourself, so it encourages diversity a little there.  It can give +buy, but I don't think that's nearly enough to make up for only one card on victory card.  You can also stack your own deck more easily than you can stack your opponents', but I think it's still just really really weak.  Probably the "best" case is +1 card, +$2, which is not amazing for $5, and it's generally unreliable.  I suspect it's worse than Tribute.  It might be okay at $4, but I still don't think it's different enough from Tribute to be exciting.

Field
Cost: $4
Reveal the top 4 cards of your deck. Put one of each differently named card revealed into your hand. Discard the rest.

I think I like this a lot, though I'm not sure I understand it correctly.  If I reveal Copper, Copper, Estate, Silver, do I get one of the Coppers, or neither of them?  If it's the former I think it's fine at $4 (though it probably tends to compare favorably to Harvest, but Harvest doesn't see much play anyway), if it's the latter I suspect it's too weak, though often times the duplicates will be Copper, so maybe it's good still.  It's really simple though and it gives us a terminal drawer that rewards diversity, which fits right into Cornucopia.

Storyteller
+1 Card. If this is the first time you played a Storyteller this turn, +1 Action.

While this is in play, when you play an Action card that you don't already have a copy of in play, +1 Action.

Clarification: The first Storyteller you play only gives you +1 Action, not +2 Actions, because it wasn't in play when you played it.

I didn't like it on first reading but the more I think about it the more I like it.  It turns Witch into a painful lab, except not really because it only works the first time.  I wonder if it might be too strong, or if it will be terribroken, but I think I like it enough to vote for it.

Scarecrow
Cost: $3
+2 Cards. +2 Actions. Reveal your hand. Discard duplicate cards one at a time until you have no duplicate cards in hand.

It's a nice concept, but I think it will generally be very weak.  The combo with Menagerie is probably fun but not strong.  If it gave virtual coin instead of cards I think it would be an interesting card, but the strength of the card-drawing is so heavily mitigated by the discarding that it will be hard to make good use of it.

Player King
Cost: $10
Trash a card from your hand. For each $ in its cost, gain a card costing up to $5 that is not a Victory card, putting it on top of your deck. If you gained 5 or more cards this way, trash this card.

In games using this, at the start of your Buy phase, you may reveal your hand. If there are no duplicate cards in it, Player King costs $5 less this turn (but not less than $0).

Wow, this has to be terribroken.  Or maybe just broken.  Being able to stack 10 $5 cards on top of your deck is pretty ridiculous.

Flea Market
+1 Card. +1 Action. +$1. This turn, you may buy any number of cards, but you may not buy more than one copy of any card.

I think this is too similar to vanilla Market most of the time, but it's an interesting concept.  I wonder how often Flea Market would shine while Market would not?

Grocer
+1 Action. Put one of your Grocer tokens on a Supply pile; this pile must not cost more than any pile wihout one of your tokens. You may gain a card from any pile with one of your tokens on it.

I think this is terribroken.  Most of the time it will be really slow, but in the games where the game has already been slowed down (by strong attacks or something) then it gets crazy good, especially because it's non-terminal.

Kaleidoscope
+1 Card. +1 Action. Reveal your hand and note the number of differently-named cards revealed. If you revealed at least: Two, +1 Buy; Three, +$1; Four, +1 Action; Five, +1 Card.

So it's usually at least a Market Square, often times a Market, and possibly up to a Level 2 City.  It feels a little strong at $4 to me, but it's probably not much stronger than Ironmonger (rhyme) so maybe it's fine.

Raffle
+1 Action. Set aside any number of differently-named Treasure cards from your hand, then play them in any order. Draw until you have 5 cards in hand.

This sounds bonkers strong.  It's at least a Lab (assuming you have a treasure in hand) and often times better.  I'm not really sold on rewarding for treasure diversity either, I feel like Cornucopia's diversity theme is intended to encourage whacky engines and slogs; in BM you usually have differently named treasures anyway.

Pariah
Gain a card costing up to $6. Each other player may gain a Curse. If he does, he gains a copy of the card you gained.

It's interesting, but I think in the absence of heavy trashing it's too strong, and in the presence of heavy trashing it will never be purchased.  Hard to say for sure though.

Theater
+2 Actions. You may reveal a Patron card from your hand. If you do, +2 Cards.

Setup: Add an extra Kingdom card pile costing $5 or $6 to the Supply. Cards from that pile are Patron cards.

I'm not against the idea of adding a new supply pile YW-style, but I don't really think this does it in an exciting way.

Carnival
Types: Action – Attack
The player to your left chooses are card in the Supply without a Carnival token on it. Either gain a copy of it or each other player gains a copy of it, your choice. Put a Carnival token on that pile. If each Supply pile has a token, remove all the tokens.

I think this is mostly a more complicated way of doing what Jester does, without as much Copper junking.  While the choice that you make in deciding what to take can be interesting, I don't like that it can potentially force you to gain a Province later on.  Maybe it would be more fun if it was limited to kingdom piles?

Wine Cellar
Reveal up to 2 differently named cards from your hand and put them on top of your deck. +$2 per card revealed this way.

When you buy this, reveal your hand. If you don't reveal at least 2 differently named cards, trash this.

It's seems like a kind of funky Mandarin variant, but I don't like it because the diversity theme seems forced.  The on-buy tries to push the diversity, but it just doesn't feel elegant to me.

Nomad
+1 Card. +1 Action. Trash a card from your hand. You may gain a card with cost exactly equal to the cost of the trashed card, putting it into your hand.

I think +1 card, +1 action, trash a card is already too strong for $4.  I'm not really a fan of the "swapping out cards for equal cost cards" concept either.

Showman
+1 Action. Reveal a card from your hand, then reveal the top card of your deck. If they don't match, +1 Card and +$1.

I think this will hit too often to cost only $3.  Maybe it would be okay at $4?

Old Gaffer
+$2. Each other player may reveal a hand without duplicate cards. If he doesn't, he gains a Curse.

I don't really think Cornucopia needs another curser, especially at $4.  I like the concept of an attack card that punishes for lack of diversity, but I think you would need another way to do it...

Wheat Field
Types: Victory
Worth 1 VP for every each differently named non-Victory card of which you have at least 4 copies.

This sounds like it's trying to do what Fairgrounds did in a different way.  It rewards you for having a lot of cards of which you have a lot of copies.  I'm not really sure how well that would work, but I think Fairgrounds has already covered the territory of "victory card that rewards diversity".

Hydra
Types: Action – Reaction
Cost: $999
+1 Action. +1 Card per Hydra you have in play (including this).

When another player plays an Attack card, you may discard this. If you do, gain a Hydra.

I suspect it's pretty weak at $999.  If you manage to get one and your opponent plays an attack, you can net yourself a lot of TfB fodder, but I'm not sure how you will ever get the first one.

Okay, seriously, the price is an integral part of the card.  If you want feedback on your card, we need a price before we can tell you how it will play out.  What you're doing is you're asking each person who critiques the card to consider how it would play at every possible price point in the $2-$6 range, which in theory is 5 times as much work as considering the card at one price point.  (In practice it's not that much worse, but it's still a lot harder.)  I don't think you're going to fix the problem of "not enough feedback" by asking people to take more effort in critiquing your card.  As the designer, you've thought about your card a lot more than we have, so you will be better able than us to give us a rough idea of how much it should cost.

I personally had a lot of trouble deciding on a vanilla bonus for my card.  But I gave it my best shot, rather than just saying "+999 cards" and letting everyone else decide for me.  If people don't like the vanilla bonus on my card then they can change it (if it wins, which I doubt it will), but since I know that I've thought about my card a lot more than everyone else, I felt well-qualified to announce to everyone a rough estimate of what I think is the best vanilla bonus for the card.  We are all aware that the winner of the contest can be tweaked as appropriate.  If you are getting comments that just say "too weak" or "too strong", then those either mean that "the card is too weak/strong at the current price point, but after that's fixed I like it" or that "the card is too weak/strong at any price point", both of which are valuable pieces of feedback on the card.

Outcast
+1 Buy. +$1. Each other player discards any number of cards, then reveals his hand. Each player who reveals duplicate cards gains a Copper.

This looks a lot like Old Gaffer, but fixes some of the problems I had with it.  For one, it's not a curser, which Cornucopia doesn't need.  Additionally, it's easier to block the junking, by letting other players discard first.  However, I worry that it might be too weak, and I also think it may be too similar to Jester as a Copper junker (and again, Cornucopia doesn't really need another attack).

Barter Shop
+1 Card. +1 Action. Reveal your hand. You may discard a card from your hand that is not a duplicate. If you do, gain a card costing up to $6 that is not a copy of a card in your hand.

I think this will generally be really strong.  A cantrip that easily gains Gold?  I would think it's also pretty swingy; sometimes you'll have a single Estate, sometimes two.  Even discarding Gold to gain Gold is probably not bad a lot of the time, but the flexibility to gain other $5's and $6's I think makes the reward a lot greater than the cost.

Scythe
Trash any number of differently named cards from your hand. Gain a card with cost less than twice the number of cards trashed.

I think it's probably really weak and really swingy.  It's weak because after you use it to trash Estates it's pretty much dead, and it's swingy because if it misses Copper/Estate, it's completely dead for that shuffle.  It also seems really similar (and compares unfavorably) to Remake, except that it goes bonkers with Shelters.

Aidan Millow

• Bishop
  • Respect: +116
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2013, 08:56:30 pm »
+1

Scarecrow
+2 Cards. +2 Actions. Reveal your hand. Discard duplicate cards one at a time until you have no duplicate cards in hand.
Seems a bit too similar to menagerie.

Did you misread it?  It's almost the opposite of Menagerie.  Scarecrow is "draw, then discard until you have no duplicates".  Menagerie is "if you have no duplicates, draw".  Those would not play similarly at all.
I mean more aesthetically than in actual gameplay.

Flea Market
+1 Card. +1 Action. +$1. This turn, you may buy any number of cards, but you may not buy more than one copy of any card.
The fact that this invalidates other sources of +buy is a large problem.

It doesn't invalidate other +Buy because of that gigantic drawback.
Maybe overide is a better word. The problem I'm seeing is that is you play this then you can't buy multiples of the same card even if you have other +buy.

Wine Cellar
Reveal up to 2 differently named cards from your hand and put them on top of your deck. +$2 per card revealed this way.

When you buy this, reveal your hand. If you don't reveal at least 2 differently named cards, trash this.
The buy restriction is actually pretty harsh and the card is probably fine without it given that you'll usually either be topdecking victory cards (making your next hand worse) stuff that reduces the value of the $4 you're getting.

Am I underestimating this restriction?  It seems like a very weak restriction to me, not harsh at all.  It's not terribly difficult to keep 2 differently named cards in your hand.
To get around the restriction you'll usually need to not play something you otherwise could, this increases its effective cost to $5 at least in most situations.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2013, 01:23:02 am »
+1

I did it! I made a video review of the Cornucopia cards! Hooray!

A couple disclaimers:

1) I tried to go fast, and may have misread a number of cards. (I know at one point I said the one that makes unique cards nonterminal wrong.)
2) I may have rejected cards for arbitrary reasons.
3) I grew tired of tokens on piles.
4) One of these cards is mind.
5) I spent too much time on a card that's sort of like my Dark Ages card, Renovate.

I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

GwinnR

• Tactician
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
    • German Youtube-Videos
« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2013, 01:40:46 am »

Again the cards I like the most:

Field
Reveal the top 4 cards of your deck. Put one of each differently named card revealed into your hand. Discard the rest.
Simple and well fitting to the theme. Seems to be not the strongest card, but I think it is not too weak.

Scarecrow
This looks cool. You really have to think about playing it or not. Also not so strong, but if you could trash down, you get a level 2 City.

Ingot
Types: Treasure
Worth $2. +1 Buy. If you have at least 4 differently-named Treasures in play (including this), +$2.
Nice idea of a Treasure Card that benefits from varity.

Grocer
+1 Action. Put one of your Grocer tokens on a Supply pile; this pile must not cost more than any pile wihout one of your tokens. You may gain a card from any pile with one of your tokens on it.
It depends on the board ;-) If there are no cheap Supply cards, this is really strong. If there are some of them you need to play some Grocers to make them usefull. I like this mechanism.

Old Gaffer
+$2. Each other player may reveal a hand without duplicate cards. If he doesn't, he gains a Curse.
Nice idea to use the variety of the other players.

Wheat Field
Worth 1 VP for every each differently named non-Victory card of which you have at least 4 copies.
I don't know how good this will be. But an interesting card for deck-trackers ;-)

Sharpening Stone
Worth $1. If you had at least 4 differently named cards in play (not including this), +1 Buy and +$2.
Same idea as Ingot. I think Ingot is a little better balanced, but it is the idea, not the cost, what I vote for.
Nobody's perfect, but I'm only a nobody o.O

My german Youtube-Channel: http://www.youtube.com/gwinnrdominion

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 19, 2013, 01:56:10 am »

Outcast
+1 Buy. +$1. Each other player discards any number of cards, then reveals his hand. Each player who reveals duplicate cards gains a Copper.

This looks a lot like Old Gaffer, but fixes some of the problems I had with it.  For one, it's not a curser, which Cornucopia doesn't need.  Additionally, it's easier to block the junking, by letting other players discard first.  However, I worry that it might be too weak, and I also think it may be too similar to Jester as a Copper junker (and again, Cornucopia doesn't really need another attack).

This card is pointlessly weak. It's basically Noble Brigand, except it doesn't steal Treasure, ever. Which is obviously terrible. The attack on your opponent is weaker than NB (and blockable!), and the benefit to you is much worse (you get +1 buy, but you don't steal Treasure!).

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #55 on: November 19, 2013, 08:55:55 am »

Field

I've seen this card get a lot of love, and it's probably a fine, balanced card. But, to be honest, it's pretty boring compared to many of the other options. It's a terminal draw that's going to play slightly better than Smithy in diverse engines and usually worse for BM. It's a "safe" vote, but I hope we get a more interesting winner.

Schneau

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #56 on: November 19, 2013, 09:09:40 am »
+2

Flea Market

This is an interesting concept, but I think I don't like it mainly because of the problems it produces when greening. But, there might be some subtle problems with things like cost reduction. Imagine you play 5 Highways and a Flea Market, and Knights are on the board. That means you can drain the entire Knights pile (since they're all different), as well as grab one of every other card costing $5 or less! That's pretty nuts. Even without Knights, Highway + Flea Circus just feels too crazy.

Schneau

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #57 on: November 19, 2013, 09:14:06 am »

Raffle
+1 Action. Set aside any number of differently-named Treasure cards from your hand, then play them in any order. Draw until you have 5 cards in hand.

I like this card, though I agree that it's too strong as-is. I think if it instead drew to 4 cards in hand it would be reasonably balanced. I think in that context it would be more of an engine card than BM.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 19, 2013, 09:44:06 am »
+1

Raffle

I think this card as is, is incredibly strong for any price. With a single Treasure in hand is kind-of equivalent to Lab (may be better or worse depending on what other actions are there, it is worse for other Treasure-interactions like Stables, it is better for draw-to-X). But, most significantly, with 2 different Treasures in hand, this is already double-Lab, which is crazy strong. And 2 different Treasures in hand is not incredibly rare (Copper+Silver/Gold). And, it can even get better. I think it should draw to 4 or even to 3 or forbid Copper or some important nerf. If it is going to be better than Lab in many cases, it has to be worse than Lab in some others. Plus, this combos with disappearing actions in a way Lab does not, so I think it is much better. Not having Treasure in hand is probably an too narrow case.

A good nerf to try would be "+1 Action. Do this any number of times: Play a Treasure differently named from Treasures you have in play. Draw up to 5.". This is still a good card, but it does not stack with itself all that well, so it is less directly comparable to Lab, which is a good thing. And I think it feels a lot more Cornucopia-y.

BTW, in the text, I don't see the need to set aside Treasures and then play instead of playing them directly. If the idea is to set them aside until the Buy phase to avoid Black Market ackwardness, then it is not working.

EDIT: This is probably even better:
"+1 Action. Do this any number of times: Play a Treasure differently named from Treasures you have in play. If you do, +1 Card."
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 09:45:42 am by soulnet »

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 19, 2013, 12:24:15 pm »
+1

Ballot update: Carnival now has [+1 Card; +1 Aciton].

On a side note, Robz, I loved your video. However, due to your token fatigue, you appear to have missed the fact that when you play Carnival, the player to your left chooses the Supply pile, then you choose whether you gain the card or they do. So you can't just play it and choose to hand out Curses.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 19, 2013, 12:36:03 pm »

On a side note, Robz, I loved your video. However, due to your token fatigue, you appear to have missed the fact that when you play Carnival, the player to your left chooses the Supply pile, then you choose whether you gain the card or they do. So you can't just play it and choose to hand out Curses.

Ah, yes. Okay, that's more interesting then. More interesting. Well, I think now it's almost starting to encroach on the strategic landscape of that first card we approved, Indulgence or whatever it ended up being called.

Showdown35

• Golem
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 19, 2013, 02:08:52 pm »
+6

Hello Everyone, this is my first time commenting on submissions, and I figured I would take a different approach to provide a little variety, and look at the cards from a new angle.  If you've read some of my other posts on the forum, then you probably guessed that the new angle is flavor!

Yes, I know flavor should not determine the winner and is not the most important part of card design, but sometimes a top-down flavor design can turn into a great card that is a ton of fun to play. Also, since everyone else mostly comments on mechanics and such, I figure having one guy comment on flavor seems about right. And since these contests are now including card names, why not have some constructive comments about the name choices too!?

For those who maybe don't know or haven't heard the term "flavor" used, it is essentially the story of the card. How the card expresses, through mechanics and gameplay interaction, what it is.  How does the card use it's rules and text to represent it's real life name or behavior.

Using Festival as an example, a festival has lots of stuff going on (represented by +2 Actions), it generates money for the people who run it (+$2), and there's usually multiple vendors and things to purchase (+1 buy).  A complex thing represented by some simple actions to create a "flavor" that makes the game more interesting, and helps tell the story of what you are doing on your turn.
Some cards use a different (but equally, if not more impressive) approach to find flavor in specific mechanics, rules, and behaviors.  An example of a great flavor card is Pearl Diver.  While it may not be the best or most useful card to buy, it certainly is clear how the card represents it's name. Using your deck to represent the oceans, the Pearl Diver scours the bottom and looks for a Pearl (a good card) and can retrieve it for you.

Anyway, on to the cards.  I hope you find these comments useful, or at least enjoyable.  I think flavor is an important part of the game, and at least one person will be voting with that in mind (don't worry, I won't vote for flavorful cards that are absolutely terrible or that wouldn't make sense to play with).

Bounty
Reveal then discard the top 2 cards of your deck. For each differently named card revealed, if it is an… Action card, +2 Actions; Treasure card, +$2; Victory card, +1 Card; Curse, +1 Buy.

Not too sure I understand the name. I'm guessing it's the greater bounty that you receive as a reward that you reap for having two different cards, as in a bountiful harvest.  Not the bounty you get for capturing a criminal.  I suppose I could accept that the mechanic is like reaping your crops, and you collect the bounty depending on what kind of crop you reap.

Field

It fits Cornucopia's flavor theme, and I'm thinking it's using the top of your deck to rep a Field, which you plow and reap.  The more different cards you have, the bigger your field.

Storyteller
+1 Card. If this is the first time you played a Storyteller this turn, +1 Action.

While this is in play, when you play an Action card that you don't already have a copy of in play, +1 Action.

Clarification: The first Storyteller you play only gives you +1 Action, not +2 Actions, because it wasn't in play when you played it.

This makes perfect sense to me.  The Storyteller keeps talking as long as he's got new stories to tell (rep'd by the different actions). If you have a deck full of the same story, the teller won't have much to do.  An interesting design that may need some smoother text.  I like this one.

Scarecrow

I've thought a while about this one, but can't quite make the connection.  It's a cool concept, with a nice risk/reward ratio, but I just don't see what makes it a Scarecrow... I can't even come up with a guess that makes sense.  Feel free to help me out.

Player King
Trash a card from your hand. For each $ in its cost, gain a card costing up to $5 that is not a Victory card, putting it on top of your deck. If you gained 5 or more cards this way, trash this card.

In games using this, at the start of your Buy phase, you may reveal your hand. If there are no duplicate cards in it, Player King costs $5 less this turn (but not less than $0).

I'm thinking Player King is referring to the actual Dominion player that can manage to manipulate his deck to be so diverse (Treasure/Victory-wise anyway, since actions you play aren't in your hand at your buy phase) that he can show a hand with no duplicates?  Doesn't really make me love it from a flavor standpoint... Unless the author meant Player as in a Stage Actor??? In which case, I like this card much better!  It's the actor showing off his many talents (auditioning, if you will), and if he's diverse enough, he gets paid. Although the trash mechanic doesn't really fit that interpretation... hmmm...

Ingot
Worth $2. +1 Buy. If you have at least 4 differently-named Treasures in play (including this), +$2.

An ingot can certainly be rep'd as a treasure card, but I don't see how it relates to being more valuable by having other kinds of treasure next to it.  If anything, an ingot (essentially an un-crafted bar of metal) would lose value when placed next to other valuables.  Treasures may be the most difficult cards to design with flavor, so this card still gets points in my book.

Flea Market

Makes perfect sense.  It has the market mechanic, but a Flea Market is usually an assortment of odds and ends, and is not where you buy items in bulk (rep'd nicely by the "no copies" restriction).

Grocer

I can't even comment on the flavor of this card because I find it WAY too confusing the way it is worded.  Also, shouldn't it have a set-up rule? How many Grocer tokens does each player have?

Kaleidoscope
+1 Card. +1 Action. Reveal your hand and note the number of differently-named cards revealed. If you revealed at least: Two, +1 Buy; Three, +$1; Four, +1 Action; Five, +1 Card.

Ok, I can accept the name.  You show your hand and get rewarded based on how pretty it is.  It's fun.

Raffle

Oooo, playing Treasures in the Action phase... Dangerous (Hello Tactician!)... Anyway, I'm not getting how this is a raffle at all. There's not really any kind of randomness to the action.  You aren't paying anything for a chance at a reward.  You get to play the treasures you set aside, and you replace them with more cards... and it's not terminal!  Feels more like a Gift than a Raffle.

Vanguard
+2 Cards. +2 Actions. +1 Buy.

While this is in play, when you buy a card, trash each copy of that card you have in play.

A pretty interesting card, but not fitting the Cornucopia theme (flavor-wise). Vanguard is a part of a military, and Cornucopia is not really about war, but about farming and celebrations.  I guess the card represents the vanguard (kind of like scouts that lead an army into battle and secure battle positions) by branching out and helping you secure different positions (rep’d by cards that you don’t already have), but I think there could be a better name for this action.

Pariah
Gain a card costing up to $6. Each other player may gain a Curse. If he does, he gains a copy of the card you gained.

Hmmm. Pariah... one who is hated or despised... so you get cursed when you copy what he does because you hate him so much?  Not too sure about this one.

Theater
[hr[
Setup: Add an extra Kingdom card pile costing $5 or $6 to the Supply. Cards from that pile are Patron cards.

Ok. It fits the theme, and it is pretty clear how it is a Theatre.  You get rewarded for having more patrons show up to your theatre when you put on a show.  Flavor-wise, I think the reward should be $ instead of cards, since a theatre would generate revenue.  Card drawing (especially more than one card) can represent many things (like knowledge/learning, building things, etc.) but generating revenue is not usually one of them.

Carnival
+1 Card. +1 Action. The player to your left chooses a card in the Supply without a Carnival token on it. Either gain a copy of it or each other player gains a copy of it, your choice. Put a Carnival token on that pile. If each Supply pile has a token, remove all the tokens.

I think this card needs work to prevent some shenanigans that I don’t think the author intended.  But after some tuning, I guess I could see how this card reps the games at a carnival. It’s as if you are running the carnival, and the player to your left plays the games, he has a choice, but whatever he chooses, you ultimately decide who benefits from that choice (kind of representing a shady carny or rigged games).

Side Show
+2 Actions. Reveal your hand. +$1 for each differently named Action card you revealed.

The flavor makes sense on this one.  It’s a break off from the main festival (which would explain why it’s worse than festival), but you can generate more revenue based of the variety of acts you can exhibit.  A side show is essentially an exhibition of variety acts, so it could even be called that Variety Show and still work.

Wine Cellar

So you need a variety of vintage wines (different cards in your hand) to even purchase a Wine Cellar, then once you do, you can generate revenue by stocking the wine and letting it age? As in, let the wine (cards) sit on top of your deck for a turn... I guess that makes sense.  Although, I would’ve liked it to be a closer variant to Cellar, since that’s already an established flavor mechanic.  I guess trading in cards for money is kind of close.  I actually like this card quite a bit.

Traveling Circus
Types: Action – Victory
Look through your deck and set aside any number of differently named Victory cards from it. Put them into your hand. Shuffle your deck.

Worth 1 VP for every 2 differently typed cards in your deck.

Clarification: Each unique combination of types counts as a unique type. For example, an Action card and an Action – Attack card count as differently-typed cards.

This is a tough one.  Seems kind of over-complicated, but I’ll take a stab at the flavor.  The Traveling part makes sense since it lets you traverse over different lands (rep’d by the fact that is filters out different named victory cards).  Not sure what makes this a Circus though.  A circus would usually mean +Actions or +$, I don’t see the VP connection.  Maybe the author was thinking the Circus rewards variety? Since the reward is VP though, I think it would be better with a different name. Traveling Diplomat maybe, or Traveling Noble?

Nomad
+1 Card. +1 Action. Trash a card from your hand. You may gain a card with cost exactly equal to the cost of the trashed card, putting it into your hand.

A Nomad is someone who survives by constant travelling and exploiting of limited resources.  I supposed that could be rep’d by the trashing of one resource (once you’re done with it) and finding another, which you get to use right away because Nomads are good at getting use out of what they gather.

Harvest Queen
Set aside any number of differently named Action cards from your hand. Play them in any order.

This makes some sense in that a harvest generally suggests rewarding a variety of crops (differently named cards).  So the Queen of the Harvest lets you reap a piece of each of your fields, the more fields you have, the more you can reap.  Not the strongest flavor, but the card is one of my favorites (I’m a bit of an action whore).

Showman
+1 Action. Reveal a card from your hand, then reveal the top card of your deck. If they don't match, +1 Card and +$1.

This is hands down my favorite card submission.  Flavor-wise, it makes perfect sense.  The Showman (would also work with a name like Magician or Entertainer) puts on a show, tries to do a little trick and wow the audience.  If he pulls off his trick, he gets praise and money, if his trick fails, he get’s nothing.  It’s a cute little mechanic that helps tell the story of the card, and seems like it would be fun to play with.  Well done.

Old Gaffer

Gaffer, huh?  There are few different meanings for a Gaffer (this is where art is extremely helpful for flavor), but I don’t think any of them makes sense as a curser.  Whether it’s a sailor, a glassblower, an electrician on a film set, or just an old man, what gives him the ability to curse people who don’t have variety in their life?  Don’t get me wrong, I actually like the card itself, but I think it needs a new name, or a different penalty for having duplicate cards.

Wheat Field

I’m not quite sure about this one.  It rewards for having a VARIETY of DUPLICATES!  It does create an interesting strategy, I guess.  For flavor, a Wheat Field makes sense as a victory card, but specifying the crop in the field kind of contradicts the “differently named” part.  I think a name like Crop Fields would make more sense.  You get VP based on the number of different crops you grow, but each field has to be big enough to provide a substantial gain.

Potluck
+2 Actions. +1 Buy. If you have at least 4 differently named cards in play (counting this): +2 Cards, +$1, discard 2 cards.

If you name a card Potluck, it really should have a mechanic that includes all players contributing to the effect.  You could probably just call this one a Stew.  Sorry if that sounded mean, it’s more of a joke than a serious criticism.  I guess the idea is that you get a reward for having a wide variety of dishes brought to your potluck?  Feels like a stretch, and the mechanic is interesting enough that it could benefit from having a name that easier relates to what it does.

Hydra

When another player plays an Attack card, you may discard this. If you do, gain a Hydra.

I love the controversy this card has caused, and I agree with others that have said cost can be an important part of critiquing a card. (I believe it is up to the critiques to provide suggestive feedback if they believe a card is over or under priced, not just simply say it’s too weak or strong).  Flavor-wise, Hydra makes perfect sense.  The reaction mechanic reps a head being cut off and two growing back, and the action mechanic reps each head multiplying the ferocity (cards and actions) of the monster.  The only thing is, it doesn’t fit the Cornucopia theme at all!  Not that there has been an expansion where monsters have been a theme... this card would need an entirely new expansion to fit in! Maybe a greek mythology expansion? (Hello, Theros!)

Outcast

I like the idea of this card, but I need help figuring out what makes it an Outcast?  How does an outcast give you money and extra buys, and why does he look at other players and give them copper if they own two of the same item?  I’m lost of the flavor.

Dairy
+3 Cards. Reveal then discard any number of cards. If you discarded any cards, gain a card with cost up to $1 plus the number of differently named cards discarded. If you discarded at least 3 differently named cards, +1 Action.

So a Dairy harvests milk from animals, which fits Cornucopia, and I’m thinking you get paid more if you have more types of milk?  Like, I can trade for more expensive items if my Dairy is producing cow, goat, and buffalo milk? So differently named cards are representing different types of animals.  Interesting...

Barter Shop
+1 Card. +1 Action. Reveal your hand. You may discard a card from your hand that is not a duplicate. If you do, gain a card costing up to $6 that is not a copy of a card in your hand.

Ok, you trade unique items for other unique items, seems legit that this sort of thing would happen at a Barter Shop.  The name fits.

Sharpening Stone
Worth $1. If you had at least 4 differently named cards in play (not including this), +1 Buy and +$2.

The name confuses me a little.  So, ok, it’s a stone, and it has a little value, but how does having lots of variety represent sharpening?  Maybe you get rewarded for having lots of different weapons to sharpen?  I don’t see it.

Scythe
Trash any number of differently named cards from your hand. Gain a card with cost less than twice the number of cards trashed.

I’m thinking Scythe was chosen as the name just because it fits Cornucopia’s theme.   I guess the action can kind of be related to what a scythe does; reaping lots of crop and trading in a large quantity of it for a single item of quality.  I feel like the name needs to be something more representative of the action though.  A scythe doesn’t do much on its own; you need a skilled worker to do the mowing (or scything).  Maybe Crop Scythers, or Field Mowers?

Well, that’s it.  Some really good flavorful names in there.  I’m sure I derived some flavor connections in there that weren’t intentional by the authors, but that’s all part of the game.  The players are going to make their own connections whether they were intentional or not.   Hopefully some of you will take a little of what I’ve offered and add it to the mix of things you consider when voting on a card.  Please respond with your own interpretations of flavor if you’d like, especially on the ones I had no idea about.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 02:21:46 pm by Showdown35 »
Check out my Dominion Fan Card Template for Photoshop  here

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 19, 2013, 04:05:05 pm »
+1

Scarecrow
Seems a bit too similar to menagerie.

Did you misread it?  It's almost the opposite of Menagerie.  Scarecrow is "draw, then discard until you have no duplicates".  Menagerie is "if you have no duplicates, draw".  Those would not play similarly at all.
I mean more aesthetically than in actual gameplay.

Flea Market
The fact that this invalidates other sources of +buy is a large problem.

It doesn't invalidate other +Buy because of that gigantic drawback.
Maybe overide is a better word. The problem I'm seeing is that is you play this then you can't buy multiples of the same card even if you have other +buy.

Wine Cellar

The buy restriction is actually pretty harsh and the card is probably fine without it given that you'll usually either be topdecking victory cards (making your next hand worse) stuff that reduces the value of the $4 you're getting.

Am I underestimating this restriction?  It seems like a very weak restriction to me, not harsh at all.  It's not terribly difficult to keep 2 differently named cards in your hand.
To get around the restriction you'll usually need to not play something you otherwise could, this increases its effective cost to $5 at least in most situations.

Not sure what you mean by "aesthetic" in this context.

The override point is fair.  It actually doesn't bother me that much, but I see why people might be put off by that.  I see Flea Market as a building card only, after which it is actually a big hindrance.  It might still be useful in some situations, but whether that's worth the drawback is something you have to figure out.  Schneau points out a scary interaction with cost reduction and Knights though.

I talked about the restriction on Wine Cellar in my own big review post, but it still doesn't seem that big to me.  It seems like it would be most hindering in the early game, but it's a bad card in the early game anyway because the anti-cycling is worse for you.  But in the end, we both came to the same conclusion anyway -- the card would be better without that restriction.

Doesn't really change much for me.  I didn't think it was too weak before, and my biggest concern was just that it would eventually give somebody a Province or even a Colony.

Bounty

Not too sure I understand the name. I'm guessing it's the greater bounty that you receive as a reward that you reap for having two different cards, as in a bountiful harvest.  Not the bounty you get for capturing a criminal.  I suppose I could accept that the mechanic is like reaping your crops, and you collect the bounty depending on what kind of crop you reap.

I believe it's just a riff on Tribute.  The card is similar to Tribute, and a Tribute from the giver is a Bounty to the recipient.  Something like that.

Traveling Circus
Look through your deck and set aside any number of differently named Victory cards from it. Put them into your hand. Shuffle your deck.

Clarification: Each unique combination of types counts as a unique type. For example, an Action card and an Action – Attack card count as differently-typed cards.

This is a tough one.  Seems kind of over-complicated, but I’ll take a stab at the flavor.  The Traveling part makes sense since it lets you traverse over different lands (rep’d by the fact that is filters out different named victory cards).  Not sure what makes this a Circus though.  A circus would usually mean +Actions or +$, I don’t see the VP connection.  Maybe the author was thinking the Circus rewards variety? Since the reward is VP though, I think it would be better with a different name. Traveling Diplomat maybe, or Traveling Noble?

Well, the VP is similar to Fairgrounds, and Fairgrounds are somewhat related to the Circus.

Thanks for your thoughts on the flavour.  I like considering flavour too, but I generally only call it out when it stands out to me (fitting really well, or not fitting even slightly).  Sometimes I omit those thoughts anyway because the mechanics are interesting to consider, and I feel that they are a bit more important because the card name can always be changed afterwards.  But it's fun to think about it, for sure!

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 19, 2013, 05:40:34 pm »

Ballot update: I added a clarification to Grocer.

Grocer
+1 Action. Put one of your Grocer tokens on a Supply pile; this pile must not cost more than any pile without one of your tokens. You may gain a card from any pile with one of your tokens on it.

Clarification: Each player has a set of identical tokens that are distinguishable from other players' tokens. Tokens are not artificially limited.

Also, the author has affirmed that it is indeed supposed to be "Supply pile", not just "Kingdom card pile".

Showdown35

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 19, 2013, 05:44:07 pm »
+2

I agree that flavor is not the most important factor, and yes, names can be easily changed, but so can costs or vanilla bonuses, and everyone seems concerned with critiquing those!  The fact that names are even required is a similar to the fact that costs are required. I think peoples votes are swayed by flavor more than they admit. If you have a personal tie to, say acting, you are probably more apt to look for positives in a card called Theatre, or Stage Show, more so than a card with a negative name (negative to you personally). I'm not saying nobody can rise above that and give purely unbiased comments, but we are all human, and our personal interests are bound to leak into our thought process.

I digress. Since nobody else really comments on flavor, aside from "I don't know if I like that name" type comments, and considering card names are now a part of the submissions, I've taken it upon myself to act as the resident flavor guy to get sone ideas on how the cards can be tweaked or improved to be a little more fun from a flavor standpoint.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 19, 2013, 05:49:11 pm »
+2

I agree that flavor is not the most important factor, and yes, names can be easily changed, but so can costs or vanilla bonuses, and everyone seems concerned with critiquing those!  The fact that names are even required is a similar to the fact that costs are required. I think peoples votes are swayed by flavor more than they admit. If you have a personal tie to, say acting, you are probably more apt to look for positives in a card called Theatre, or Stage Show, more so than a card with a negative name (negative to you personally). I'm not saying nobody can rise above that and give purely unbiased comments, but we are all human, and our personal interests are bound to leak into our thought process.

I digress. Since nobody else really comments on flavor, aside from "I don't know if I like that name" type comments, and considering card names are now a part of the submissions, I've taken it upon myself to act as the resident flavor guy to get sone ideas on how the cards can be tweaked or improved to be a little more fun from a flavor standpoint.

Showdown, you should watch my Youtube video. I do some flavor critiquing as well!

Showdown35

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 19, 2013, 07:10:58 pm »

Showdown, you should watch my Youtube video. I do some flavor critiquing as well!

I actually did watch some of your video, but 45 mins is a bit too long for me to stare at a screen and listen to someone talk. I esentially skipped to your critique of my card, which is what I assume most people do!... but I did catch a few cards you ceitiqued, and it was a comment you made that I was referring to when I said "I don't know if I like the name"!!

I will take another try at watching your vid, maybe I'll do it in 9 minute shifts!

Sorry, just realized I may have sounded rude. I'm just poking fun at the length of the vid, light-heartedly of course. I actually think your vids are pretty cool. Certainly doesn't take up as much space on the forum!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 07:14:19 pm by Showdown35 »

Eggplantation

• Baron
  • Respect: +48
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 20, 2013, 05:42:27 am »

I thought I might as well give all the cards a review for the first time. I have entered the contests but haven't reviewed them yet, better late than never! Note one of these cards is mine, I will try and be fair.

Bounty
Unfortunately reminds me a little too much of Tribute. You could potentially set this card up with cards like cartographer, but it still compares a little unfavourable to Tribute for me.

Field
Looks pretty cool. It will often just be a smithy, but hey smithy costs $4 too, then sometimes better or worse. Nice.

Storyteller

Seems like an interesting village variant. You might but able to get away with making it a cantrip, but testing needed. However it might be needed because it is pretty powerful otherwise... I am undecided. I think it good how it is.

Scarecrow
I like it. I also like the little combo with Menagerie. Powerful if used correctly, but unlike menagerie it can hurt your hand.

Player King

It has interesting stuff going on, but it seems a too crazily powerful. You can gain a whole kingdom pile of $5 by trashing a Player King, which is super powerful. I can imagine this being hilarious though.  :P
The mechanics are pretty interesting, it just might need to gain $4 cards, and maybe half as many as the trashed cards price or something. I do like the idea of a jackpot of cards at a hefty price.

Ingot
Looking pretty hot. It is good that it is always possible to activate this. Not quite sure how how the name make sense thematically, besides just being currency, but hey, super minor detail.

Flea Market
I think this would be too similar to market in most games to get my vote. Interesting idea.

Grocer
+1 Action. Put one of your Grocer tokens on a Supply pile; this pile must not cost more than any pile without one of your tokens. You may gain a card from any pile with one of your tokens on it.

Clarification: Each player has a set of identical tokens that are distinguishable from other players' tokens. Tokens are not artificially limited.
Cool idea, but I am not sure how it would play out. After you play this 17 times you could gain provinces every play. I am not against cards gaining provinces if it is done in a balanced way, which this might be. 17 times is nothing to be laughed at. But neither are provinces. I think it is interesting, I can't say much more without testing.

Kaleidoscope
Mechanics wise, it definitely goes along with the variety theme of Cornucopia. It is pretty nice, but I think it is overshadowed by some of the other cards in my personal opinion. Might be a little too expensive since the end bit is hard to control, but I am not judging it on its price.

Raffle
Wow, power! yeah I can definitely sense the power of this one... I think it is probably too good for its cost, but I don't mind the actual ability. I think it would have to be nerfed or cost more, but I like cards that increase the power of draw-to-X engines because they are cool, and a relatively unexplored mechanic.

Vanguard

While this is in play, when you buy a card, trash each copy of that card you have in play.
Not too bad, just I think it might be a little annoying. Probably fine balance wise though. Pretty nice for the early game. Engines dislike it, I would think, which seems to be the type of deck you would want to build with it, which is an odd mix.

Pariah
So essentially it gives you opponent/s a curse and leaves you both at similar deck quality, or gains you a $6 card. Seems  fairly reasonable. You can be tactical and gain an expensive card that your opponent doesn't want so this is just an awesome gainer.

Theater
[hr[
I think this is decent. Probably not quite rocking my excitement-meter enough for me to vote for it though.

Carnival
+1 Card. +1 Action. The player to your left chooses a card in the Supply without a Carnival token on it. Either gain a copy of it or each other player gains a copy of it, your choice. Put a Carnival token on that pile. If each Supply pile has a token, remove all the tokens.

EDIT: Carnival now gives [+1 Card; +1 Action].

Mechanics wise I think this is fairly cool. At the start especially, and a lot of the time it will gain you cards you don't really want, or give your opponents cards you don't really want them to have, but would rather not have yourself, so that helps balance it a little. However sometimes it jackpots like with a gold or a province. They can only be gained every 17 plays though, which is a lot of plays! I think this card is too cheap, especially since it was cantrip-ified, but makes it more spammy which is helps the card. Again voting on  mechanics though.

Side Show
+2 Actions. Reveal your hand. +$1 for each differently named Action card you revealed.
Pretty cool, can be like an almost super festival which is fun times for the engine player. Again not sure if I am excited enough to vote for it but it is interesting. Oh, it would be a little tricky to keep track of how much each of these are worth, especially is you have heaps in an engine, so this might be a problem.

Wine Cellar

Sorta comparable to horse traders. This give you more coinage, but the 'self attack' is more nasty, like a ghost ship instead of a militia (in a sense). Not too bad, but I think Harvest covers the space for variety-based-virtual-money.

Traveling Circus

I like this. The top is considerably nerfed by the fact that you can only set aside differently named victory cards, which makes it pretty balanced. And the bottom is cool. Similar to Fairgrounds, but different enough to make me happy. The type thingo is cool, even though similar to fairgrounds. Thinking about it, it might be fairly hard to make it worth heaps though? Very kingdom dependant, with the chance of being worth heaps like fairgrounds!

Nomad
Pretty handy, you can flip you $5 to duchys in the endgame, and pile drive other piles pretty hard. Adds some interesting strategies, and would quicken games. Sold on it? I am not sure yet. I don't think cantrip cards trash is too good $4. Junk dealer has it, and a +$1 at $5. +$1 is worth a fair bit, so I think it is fairly priced at $4.

Harvest Queen
Set aside any number of differently named Action cards from your hand. Play them in any order.
This looks like it would be fun. It embraces the diversity theme too. I also like how you can make engines out of this with no +actions, which is nice. Might be a little overpriced, but that is easily fixed.

Showman
I think this is balanced, but not heaps exciting. It would be a good peddler variant for this set as a whole though. I think it is reasonably priced, because +1 card, +1 action +$1, is commonly accepted to cost about $4, and this would sometimes be that, and sometimes miss, especially early game when it is important.

Old Gaffer
I think it is a decent card idea, but I think it would be a little powerful at its price point because will most of the time just hit early game and will hurt a lot. IMO it would need a drawback, or to cost more with a slight bonus. I don't think I would vote for it because of the presence of young witch in Cornucopia, unfortunately.

Wheat Field
Not too bad. Just not quite exciting enough, or different enough to fairgrounds for my vote.

Potluck
+2 Actions. +1 Buy. If you have at least 4 differently named cards in play (counting this): +2 Cards, +$1, discard 2 cards.
This looks quite fine. In engines with variety it would work very nicely, especially as the only source of +buy.

Hydra

You are probably sick of people telling you to give costing it a go, but I reckon it is good to have a stab at it. The actual card looks fine, I think it would be fun building a big chain of these. Maybe it would cost $5? That is my guess. The attack reaction is cool too.

Outcast
This is pretty funky. It offers a decision of, 'ahh do I discard heaps? maybe more then 2?!', or 'ah do I gain a copper?'. I think it has a pretty cool inbuilt tension.

Dairy
+3 Cards. Reveal then discard any number of cards. If you discarded any cards, gain a card with cost up to $1 plus the number of differently named cards discarded. If you discarded at least 3 differently named cards, +1 Action.
I like that this can mainly be used as just +3 cards, or can be used as a gainer. I also have a bit of a thing for non-terminal gainers ever since ironworks... It has nice self synergy since you will need to be discarding lots of cards to gain expensive cards, and this gives +3 cards! I will consider this one because it is a cool idea that has been executed well. Can't see much wrong with it balance wise, needs play testing.

Barter Shop
I am thinking this is too powerful for the price as it is soo strong early, but again, mechanics are key. Mechanics: yeah it is ok. It doesn't seem super out there or anything, not quite to my taste.

Sharpening Stone
I do like this idea, unfortunately I think that Ingot executed it in a slightly better way.

Scythe
Yeah compares a little too unfavourably to remake. I can't see much wrong with it balance wise. It would be a fairly slow trasher, except for in shelter games.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 05:47:12 am by Eggplantation »

HeavyD

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 20, 2013, 12:53:56 pm »

I don't want to critique all the cards, but I chose the ones I like or stood out to me… still a lot of them…

Field

I know there are a lot of terminal draw cards, but I really like how simple and thematic this is. Come to think of it, Cornucopia doesn't have a terminal draw (outside Followers, which I don't count), so this could easily be a worthy addition.

Storyteller

I like LFN's idea of simply making it a cantrip itself. Certainly makes it easier. Plus 2nd Storyteller just plain sucks if it is a terminal +1 Card. I really like the idea though! One of my favorites.

Scarecrow

Other than paring it with Menagerie, I don't really see a situation where this shines. Someone please enlighten me.

Ingot

I know there were a lot of $4 treasure ideas in the Prosperity contest, which I still think is a good idea. This one fits in well with Cornucopia's theme. (See other note on Sharpening Stone)

Vanguard

I want to say this is a huge trap. Why buy a card if your going to trash a copy of it netting you nothing? Maybe that's the point… So basically it taboos all the cards you have in play, and if that is including my precious Gold, Wharves, and Hunting Parties… I may be a little upset. However, I do see its end game potential. I suppose Vanguard is great if you get a few for a mega turn buying out the Provinces, but it seems like that would take to much work.

Pariah

Looks like a "fixed" Monastery. I was a fan of an "expensive" Workshop variant before, so I am a fan of this one as well. Although it doesn't fit Cornucopia's theme too much.

Theater
[hr[

I'm back and forth on this one… I don't really want another village in Cornucopia. I do enjoy the extra pile mechanic, but if you are playing with Theater AND Young Witch… then you are dealing with a 12 card Kingdom. Not sure how I feel about that. It may be fun… maybe once… It may not fun and be a pain…

Carnival

I'm not a big fan. It is Jester-ish. I don't like the idea of eventually having to put a token on the Province pile. I would like it more if it were Supply piles that weren't Victory piles, but I don't think that would make me like it enough too vote for it.

Harvest Queen

This looks intense. I like the Tactician interaction, but am I right in saying this is basically a village that gives +? Actions for each different action card? A $5 card that only gives +Actions doesn't sound that great. Any thoughts on that?

Showman

Like Showdown said, it is thematically a fantastic card. It is simple and fits Cornucopia's theme. Plus I always like the guessing type cards in Wishing Well, Mystic, etc. One of my favorites.

Old Gaffer

This is a good card… However, I don't like it for two reasons:

1) It is a terminal Silver that is already found in Fortune Teller and Jester.
2) It is a Cursor… and we already have Young Witch and Jester

Hydra

I laughed so hard at this… Yet, I (as well) could not give a fair evaluation. I don't think I like this because it almost forces you to rush to win the Hydra split at least to deny your opponent getting the majority. I see this most fair at $5 because it would take a while to buy/gain enough in order to be effective (similar to Duke).

Dairy

Not a fan. This also looks like a "fixed" Monastery. It doesn't look like it would consistently be better than Workshop/Ironworks/Armory. I know there is a chance to gain cards costing more than $4, but I don't think this will play as well as the author intended. I like Pariah more.

Sharpening Stone

Very similar to Ingot. I like Ingot more because it can cost up to $4. Also, I feel like this is too easy to activate making it a $4 gold with a buy mid-late game, I wonder if $5 would be a better cost. Maybe I'm wrong, as I am awful with pricing as well. Concept wise, it is the same as Ingot. Ingot rewards just treasure diversity, Sharpening Stone rewards action/treasure diversity. I wonder if neither will win and steal votes from the other. I agree with Eggplantation that Ingot it slightly better executed.

Showdown35

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 20, 2013, 04:13:07 pm »
+2

Scarecrow

Other than paring it with Menagerie, I don't really see a situation where this shines. Someone please enlighten me.

Vanguard

I want to say this is a huge trap. Why buy a card if your going to trash a copy of it netting you nothing? Maybe that's the point… So basically it taboos all the cards you have in play, and if that is including my precious Gold, Wharves, and Hunting Parties… I may be a little upset. However, I do see its end game potential. I suppose Vanguard is great if you get a few for a mega turn buying out the Provinces, but it seems like that would take to much work.

Scarecrow has an absolutely awesome effect for $3 in 2 cards and 2 actions, but is offset by a drawback. I dont think the drawback is there to be exploited, but rather to make the cost lower, and create a chance for strategy. You wind up with an awesome card for only three if your deck is varied enough that the drawback hardly hurts you.

Vanguard can trash a bunch of coppers for you. If you have 4 in play, and you buy one, you net -3 coppers, which is pretty sweet deck trimming. And you don't even have to waste the 4 coppers you played because it gives you an extra buy. Too bad you can't play Curses!... yet.
Also, you can still buy provinces and duchies with this in play, or action cards you didn't play this turn, and the "drawback" won't effect you, so its noy really a trap, it just forces you to diversify the actions you buy, as do many Cornucopia cards.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 04:17:39 pm by Showdown35 »

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 20, 2013, 04:20:42 pm »
+1

Too bad you can't play Curses!... yet.

I feel this is your next card you post :P Playing curses somehow.

Nic

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +85
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 20, 2013, 04:58:07 pm »
+1

Field

I know there are a lot of terminal draw cards, but I really like how simple and thematic this is. Come to think of it, Cornucopia doesn't have a terminal draw (outside Followers, which I don't count), so this could easily be a worthy addition.
Cornucopia is a small set, so it's kinda supposed to have a different distribution of cards than a standalone. It's a good card, but my thought is still that if it wins, fully half of our winning cards will have been 'terminal draw with limited filtering'. +1s to the designer, but I'm not gonna vote for it for that reason alone. Sorry.  :-[

Storyteller

I like LFN's idea of simply making it a cantrip itself. Certainly makes it easier. Plus 2nd Storyteller just plain sucks if it is a terminal +1 Card. I really like the idea though! One of my favorites.
Think about what would happen if you played four Storytellers in a row, followed by a Smithy or Hunting Grounds, and then get back to me.

I wouldn't be opposed to making it a cantrip if the effect was edited to "If you have a Storyteller in play . . .", but that would still take out a lot of the excitement in the card. Buy or gain a bunch of Storytellers so you can play one every turn, and if they collide then spam them until you get to your strong terminals (most of which will now be strong non-terminals). It  looks like the designer thought hard about this one, and I wouldn't fiddle with anything that looks important.

Harvest Queen

This looks intense. I like the Tactician interaction, but am I right in saying this is basically a village that gives +? Actions for each different action card? A $5 card that only gives +Actions doesn't sound that great. Any thoughts on that?
'Interaction' seems like kind of an understatement. Black Market has an interaction with Tactician; this card could be scary. Golem is the only card in the game that can trigger multiple Tacticians in a single turn, and it requires a lot of luck to do so, and it costs $4P.
Aside from that, it seems disingenuous to say it only gives +Actions, when it gives you exactly as many actions as you as you would need to play a bunch of terminals. Harvest a Harvest Queen and some terminal draw, and you could play a megaturn without villages or nonterminal cards. This is a card where you want terminals to collide, and it allows you to build decks which couldn't really exist before. I feel like the cost might work, but it would be a whole lot safer at $6.

That's it for now! Stay tuned to hear my opinions on Scarecrow and Showman.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 05:01:42 pm by Nic »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 20, 2013, 05:11:32 pm »
+1

Golem is the only card in the game that can trigger multiple Tacticians in a single turn, and it requires a lot of luck to do so, and it costs $4P.

Herald can do it too now!  For example, TR-Herald could activate two Tacticians.

Showdown35

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 20, 2013, 06:31:42 pm »

Too bad you can't play Curses!... yet.

I feel this is your next card you post :P Playing curses somehow.

Hahaha... no, wasn't planning on designing a card that lets you play Curses. I just try to be careful whenever saying thay you can't do something, because there were many things you "couldn't" do before some expansions. And I thought I'd put the idea of being able to put non-action, non-treasure cards into play somehow into the heads of all the fan designers reading.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 21, 2013, 01:51:59 am »

I just found this forum and these contests.  I'll probably enter the next one.  Can I still vote if I've never made a submission to a contest?

Anyway, my thoughts on a few I like:

Storyteller

The wording could use a tweak to get rid of the need for the clarification, and I think it should say "if there's a storyteller in play" (like Nik suggested) to keep them from stacking, but I really like this card.

Ingot
I think it would be good if you added some minor limitation, maybe "If ...and no more than
one treasure that matches another".  I think it'd be too good as-is.

Kaleidoscope
Should cost $5, but I like it otherwise.

Raffle
Building off Soulnet's suggestion, here's what I would put on it: "+1 Action. Play now any number of differently-named Treasure cards from your hand. Then +1 card for each differently-named treasure you have in play."
I really like it, but only after tweaking (and maybe a different name), so I don't know if I'd vote for it.

Pariah
Looks a bit strong, but the benefit with drawback to other players is interesting.  Maybe that balances it out.  Would have to see how it plays out.

Theater
[hr[
I kinda like it.  It could easily be very strong if the patron card is a good one to get multiples of (like minion/labratory/market...)

Carnival
Not sure how well it would work. Could turn out to be cool, but it's hard to tell.

Traveling Circus

The bottom is a little awkward but I like it anyway.  I kinda like the top, but I don't like having many cards that force a reshuffle.  I like playing IRL much better than online, and reshuffling takes time.

Nomad
My main problem with it is that it can empty supply piles way too fast with multiple nomads.  I think it'd be much better if it said "Return a card from your hand to the supply."

Harvest Queen
I like it.  Obviously similar to storyteller, but I kinda like storyteller better.  Then again, this has the benefit of being simpler.

Showman
Seems like this could be easy to exploit if there's a couple cards that you just buy one copy of.  Just reveal one of them from your hand and you know you won't get a match.  Combine with mutiple showmen, and this could be really powerful for $3.  I like the idea though.

Potluck
Same as what I said about Kaleidoscope: Probably should cost $5, but I kinda like it otherwise.

Outcast
Probably could cost $3.  I don't particularly like it anyway.

Dairy
I think I'd either make it +2 cards at the beginning or lose the +1 action clause.  Kinda like it otherwise.

Sharpening Stone
I think both this and Ingot activate too easily.

Others that I like, but don't have much to say about: Field, Flea Market, Side Show.

I wish I'd found these forums earlier so I could vote for Investment and Drift bottle from the Seaside contest.  I don't generally like cards with mats, but I thought Drift Bottle looked really cool. Hard to believe it didn't get any votes.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Page created in 0.248 seconds with 21 queries.