Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Author Topic: Treasure Chest Design Contest — Card #6: Cornucopia  (Read 48248 times)

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
  • An enormous walrus the size of Antarctica
  • Respect: +1793
    • View Profile
Re: Treasure Chest Design Contest — Card #6: Cornucopia
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2013, 11:06:41 am »
+2

Soul cake

"Powered by science, of course!"
My Dominion videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WalrusMcFishSr   <---Bet you can't click on that!

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2013, 10:33:03 am »

Just a reminder: Cornucopia cards are due today-ish. I have 24 entries so far. And while I'm perfectly happy to have a smaller number of entries this time (less work for me!), I just wanted to make sure everyone who wants to submit a card has done so.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2013, 11:05:38 am »
+1

Ok, ok.... I'll submit something. Just give me a sec.  ;)

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2013, 11:14:44 am »

Ok, ok.... I'll submit something. Just give me a sec.  ;)

There's no huge rush. As long as you get your entry in before I compile the entries tomorrow, you're golden. So you have the rest of the day, plus another few hours depending on your time zone.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2013, 09:29:39 am »

Is there an ETA on when the ballot is going to be up for this one?

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2013, 09:49:11 am »
+1

Is there an ETA on when the ballot is going to be up for this one?

Should be up in a few hours. I'm on my way to work now, but we have new offices, so I may need time to settle in.

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2013, 01:40:29 pm »
+2

The ballot is up! We have only 29 entries for this contest, which seems appropriate for a smaller expansion. I'll put a poll up in a day or two. In the meantime, I encourage you to talk about your favorites.

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2013, 02:10:25 pm »

I'm going to give a shout-out to my favorite submissions here.

Field
Types: Action
Cost: $4
Reveal the top 4 cards of your deck. Put one of each differently named card revealed into your hand. Discard the rest.

I like the simplicity of this one. Donald tried a $5 version of this that revealed 5 cards. It eventually turned into Harvest. I have no idea why that version didn't work out, but I'm willing to give this version a shot.

Storyteller
+1 Card. If this is the first time you played a Storyteller this turn, +1 Action.

While this is in play, when you play an Action card that you don't already have a copy of in play, +1 Action.

Clarification: The first Storyteller you play only gives you +1 Action, not +2 Actions, because it wasn't in play when you played it.

I'd try it with just [+1 Card. +1 Action.] on top and see if that was too crazy. In general I like the idea.

Scarecrow
Cost: $3
+2 Cards. +2 Actions. Reveal your hand. Discard duplicate cards one at a time until you have no duplicate cards in hand.

I like this one, too. When I was trying to come up with my own card, I came up with this except with +4 Cards instead of +2 Cards and +2 Actions. I like Scarecrow way better.

Side Show
Cost: $5
+2 Actions. Reveal your hand. +$1 for each differently named Action card you revealed.

I like the simplicity of this one as well. Can be really nice, but you have to work for it. It's possible that it could cost less.

Harvest Queen
Set aside any number of differently named Action cards from your hand. Play them in any order.

A cool take on Village/Golem. It really plays toward the hand theme that Cornucopia used to have. Can combo really nicely with a lot of cards, such as Menagerie, Hunting Party, Tactician, draw-up-to-X cards, etc.

Hydra
Types: Action – Reaction
Cost: $999
+1 Action. +1 Card per Hydra you have in play (including this).

When another player plays an Attack card, you may discard this. If you do, gain a Hydra.

The silly cost is the author's attempt to get feedback on the card itself, since he's sick of just hearing "too expensive" or "too cheap". As for the card itself, I think it could work. I have a similar card I've been testing for my own set. I appreciate that it has an alternative way to get Hydras, since once you start amassing them, you want to get them as fast as you can. I'm not sure this reaction is the best option, but I think it's definitely worth playtesting.

Special bonus points to Side Show and Harvest Queen for costing $5. Cornucopia has a terrible dearth of $5 cards. It's get 5 $4 cards and only 4 $5 cards. Also, it already has more Attacks than it needs, so I may be dismissing the Attack submissions out of hand.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 02:11:31 pm by LastFootnote »

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2144
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2013, 03:05:35 pm »

Hopefully I'll have time to comment on all the cards later, but this one jumped out at me:

Vanguard
+2 Cards. +2 Actions. +1 Buy.

While this is in play, when you buy a card, trash each copy of that card you have in play.

I assume the idea is that it's a great card with a drawback that encourages diversity, but I'm not sure the drawback is a drawback.  It gives you an extra buy so that you can easily pick up a Copper with it, clearing probably 3-4 Coppers out of your deck (but adding one back in, so netting a loss).  It quickly loses utility as you trash down, and it's not something you'll want to spam, but I think it's a must-buy in every engine game, and probably a huge advantage for a 5/2 opening.

I'm not sure if the author intended for it to be able to trash bad cards, but it wouldn't be hard to fix; maybe change it to "when you buy a card costing $3 or more".  Removing the +buy is probably a good enough nerf actually, since it means you'll have to combo with other +buy to trash Copper, or spend your turn bypassing a good buy to trash instead.

Aidan Millow

• Bishop
  • Respect: +116
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2013, 03:11:35 pm »
+1

Hydra

When another player plays an Attack card, you may discard this. If you do, gain a Hydra.

The silly cost is the author's attempt to get feedback on the card itself, since he's sick of just hearing "too expensive" or "too cheap". As for the card itself, I think it could work. I have a similar card I've been testing for my own set. I appreciate that it has an alternative way to get Hydras, since once you start amassing them, you want to get them as fast as you can. I'm not sure this reaction is the best option, but I think it's definitely worth playtesting.

You probably want to note this in the ballot so no-one dismisses it as a joke card.

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2013, 03:14:27 pm »

Hydra

You probably want to note this in the ballot so no-one dismisses it as a joke card.

I replaced $999 with $???.

soulnet

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2013, 03:37:44 pm »
+4

Hydra

I replaced $999 with $???.

Not a huge deal, but I don't think that is fair with the other cards. Either everyone should be subject to an a priori pricing or it should be optional. It would be possible to just remove pricing of every card to avoid too strong/weak comments, or at least making pricing submissions optional (for some cases it may be important to know weither the card is gainable through workshop variants, for instance).

Asking for feedback is fine, but as long as we are voting, rules should be uniform.

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2013, 03:41:12 pm »

Not a huge deal, but I don't think that is fair with the other cards. Either everyone should be subject to an a priori pricing or it should be optional. It would be possible to just remove pricing of every card to avoid too strong/weak comments, or at least making pricing submissions optional (for some cases it may be important to know weither the card is gainable through workshop variants, for instance).

Asking for feedback is fine, but as long as we are voting, rules should be uniform.

Yes, you're right. Back to $999 it is.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2013, 04:20:37 pm »

Grocer
+1 Action. Put one of your Grocer tokens on a Supply pile; this pile must not cost more than any pile wihout one of your tokens. You may gain a card from any pile with one of your tokens on it.

Carnival
Types: Action – Attack
The player to your left chooses are card in the Supply without a Carnival token on it. Either gain a copy of it or each other player gains a copy of it, your choice. Put a Carnival token on that pile. If each Supply pile has a token, remove all the tokens.

Quick question about these two cards: Do Copper/Silver/Gold, Curse, Ruins, and Estate/Duchy/Province/Colony count as supply piles?

If so, the Grocer appears to be slow, but is supercharged with TR/KC. Carnival, I think it was designed with that in mind.

Grocer, I'm curious to know how strong it can be. Carnival has elements of Jester, Indulgence, and Overseer. It's interesting that the Carnival tokens are communal. You can be pretty sure that the on-play effect of Carnival will help you in some way, but it's terminal nature does a good job at limiting its strength, so that's good.

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2013, 04:23:38 pm »

Grocer
+1 Action. Put one of your Grocer tokens on a Supply pile; this pile must not cost more than any pile wihout one of your tokens. You may gain a card from any pile with one of your tokens on it.

Carnival
The player to your left chooses are card in the Supply without a Carnival token on it. Either gain a copy of it or each other player gains a copy of it, your choice. Put a Carnival token on that pile. If each Supply pile has a token, remove all the tokens.

Quick question about these two cards: Do Copper/Silver/Gold, Curse, Ruins, and Estate/Duchy/Province/Colony count as supply piles?

Yes, they count. At least, the authors said Supply piles, not Kingdom card piles, so they count. If that wasn't the intent, they should have worded them differently.

soulnet

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2013, 04:27:48 pm »
+4

Ok. Then I think its too weak.

Polk5440

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2013, 04:36:15 pm »
+2

So, after reading through the cards, I decided that my favorites overlap with LastFootnote's favorites quite a bit.

I'm going to give a shout-out to my favorite submissions here.

Field
Reveal the top 4 cards of your deck. Put one of each differently named card revealed into your hand. Discard the rest.

I like the simplicity of this one. Donald tried a $5 version of this that revealed 5 cards. It eventually turned into Harvest. I have no idea why that version didn't work out, but I'm willing to give this version a shot.

Agree 100%.

Storyteller
+1 Card. If this is the first time you played a Storyteller this turn, +1 Action.

While this is in play, when you play an Action card that you don't already have a copy of in play, +1 Action.

Clarification: The first Storyteller you play only gives you +1 Action, not +2 Actions, because it wasn't in play when you played it.

I'd try it with just [+1 Card. +1 Action.] on top and see if that was too crazy. In general I like the idea.

Agree 100%. The card is not as polished as some of the others. The card name is very flavorful, though. What kind of story are we telling today? Well, a Young Witch (+1 Action) was at the Tournament (+1 Action) watching Sir Micheal (+1 Action) compete on his Trusty Steed (+1 Action)....

I don't like the rest of the cards LastFootnote mentioned, nearly as much though.  :P

While these aren't my favorites, I do have a couple comments on some of the other cards:

Hydra

You want comments? Ok. The name suggests that you made this card for a mythical re-theme of Dominion, not an addition to Cornucopia. I think the best feature of the card is the cost (once it's in your deck -- how it gets there in the first place, I have no idea). This would be great Apprentice fodder and at least a double Province with Salvager (Hopefully you have some more buys to go along with that!). Or possibly 999 silvers with a Trader in hand, instead? Bishop-Hydra might be a winning strategy. The reaction is ridiculously good. Who would ever want to play an Attack when that means you can give your opponent a free $999 card???

The cost is part of the concept, especially for a card which gains copies of itself (see e.g. Rats). This card is incomplete until we at least get a more complete idea about what the author was thinking. Do you think people should be able to open with 2 copies of it? Should I be able to get it early at all? How powerful do you think that stacking ability is, anyway? Maybe you've tested it. As a designer, you actually have to do some of the thinking by giving a complete instance of the concept. We're voting on cards, after all. Getting the cost wrong a little is not a big deal, but you at least need to set a starting point for discussion.

But setting that aside, I suspect the top combined with the reaction can't work at any cost. What about eliminating the reaction?

Scarecrow
+2 Cards. +2 Actions. Reveal your hand. Discard duplicate cards one at a time until you have no duplicate cards in hand.

Scarecrow + Menagerie = !!! This could be fun. I don't know if the card is balanced, though.

Theater
+2 Actions. You may reveal a Patron card from your hand. If you do, +2 Cards.

Setup: Add an extra Kingdom card pile costing $5 or $6 to the Supply. Cards from that pile are Patron cards.

Interesting. I might like it better if it was a village that gave you an extra card for revealing a Patron card. I don't get why the Patron card has to be so expensive. I can see an argument for allowing any card to be a Patron (well, as long as it's a person.  ;))

Nomad
+1 Card. +1 Action. Trash a card from your hand. You may gain a card with cost exactly equal to the cost of the trashed card, putting it into your hand.

I just don't know about swapping your cards out. As is, it feels like a card to correct your own strategic missteps. Or an activator for Menagerie. Or a pile emptier. Eh. I don't know. It needs a little more excitement. Maybe allow gaining up to one more than the cost of the trashed card? Edit: Bad idea. I guess I just don't like the card that much. Sorry.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 04:50:48 pm by Polk5440 »

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2013, 04:39:47 pm »

Ok. Then I think its too weak.

Cool. Sounds good.

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2013, 04:47:17 pm »
+1

Nomad
+1 Card. +1 Action. Trash a card from your hand. You may gain a card with cost exactly equal to the cost of the trashed card, putting it into your hand.

I just don't know about swapping your cards out. As is, it feels like a card to correct your own strategic missteps. Or an activator for Menagerie. Or a pile emptier. Eh. I don't know. It needs a little more excitement. Maybe allow gaining up to one more than the cost of the trashed card?

Then it would be better than Upgrade. For $4. I think [+1 Card; +1 Action; Trash a card from your hand] is already pretty strong for $4. Nomad here is better than that. In general I also agree that the swap-for-the-same-cost is pretty niche, but potentially quite powerful. Overall I'm not in love with the card, although I respect the attempt in creating a swap-for-the-same-cost card. It's not easy. Butcher is an elegant way to go about it, but of course that's a very different card.

Aidan Millow

• Bishop
  • Respect: +116
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2013, 04:48:15 pm »

My opinions on the cards (none of them is mine) I found myself not liking many of them but that might just be a case of me not really liking conucopia's mechanics.

Bounty
Reveal then discard the top 2 cards of your deck. For each differently named card revealed, if it is an… Action card, +2 Actions; Treasure card, +$2; Victory card, +1 Card; Curse, +1 Buy.

Even with the nerf I feel like tributing yourself (given that you can control your own deck) is a large problem.

Field
Nice smithy variant, rather weak if not going for a diversity deck but that's fine.

Storyteller

Giving +1 action to subsequent plays of cards is very scary and not something I think we should be able to do for $4. I feel like this would be better costing 5 with a small buff.

Scarecrow
Seems a bit too similar to menagerie.

Player King
Cost: $10
Trash a card from your hand. For each $ in its cost, gain a card costing up to $5 that is not a Victory card, putting it on top of your deck. If you gained 5 or more cards this way, trash this card.

In games using this, at the start of your Buy phase, you may reveal your hand. If there are no duplicate cards in it, Player King costs $5 less this turn (but not less than $0).

Turns games into a lottery.

Ingot
Types: Treasure
Worth $2. +1 Buy. If you have at least 4 differently-named Treasures in play (including this), +$2.
I don't feel this hoop is hard enough to jump through for $4 and a buy.

Flea Market
+1 Card. +1 Action. +$1. This turn, you may buy any number of cards, but you may not buy more than one copy of any card.
The fact that this invalidates other sources of +buy is a large problem.

Grocer
Having distinct grocer tokens is a minor logistical problem. Furthermore (given that the first two tokens go on copper and curse) I feel that this is a bit of an all in on one strategy card and those aren't fun.

Kaleidoscope
+1 Card. +1 Action. Reveal your hand and note the number of differently-named cards revealed. If you revealed at least: Two, +1 Buy; Three, +$1; Four, +1 Action; Five, +1 Card.
This potentially gets a lot better than market and seldom gets worse, it should cost 5 for starters but even then it seems possibly too swingy.

Raffle
+1 Action. Set aside any number of differently-named Treasure cards from your hand, then play them in any order. Draw until you have 5 cards in hand.
Seems like playing treasure cards in the action phase for the sake of itself. Not something I like.

Vanguard

While this is in play, when you buy a card, trash each copy of that card you have in play.
I like that the "drawback" can be turned to your advantage but it might be too strong in doing so. Also worth noting that the drawback is pretty much irrelevant for greening.

Pariah
Gain a card costing up to $6. Each other player may gain a Curse. If he does, he gains a copy of the card you gained.
Not hugely cornucopia esque but just a good card.

Theater
[hr[
Setup: Add an extra Kingdom card pile costing $5 or $6 to the Supply. Cards from that pile are Patron cards.
I like the idea but it's probably too strong to be able to have a single patron card activate all the theaters.

Carnival
This seems very strong to me, too strong for 3.

Side Show
+2 Actions. Reveal your hand. +$1 for each differently named Action card you revealed.
I feel like this could easily give $3 or $4 each play, that's too strong.

Wine Cellar
Reveal up to 2 differently named cards from your hand and put them on top of your deck. +$2 per card revealed this way.

When you buy this, reveal your hand. If you don't reveal at least 2 differently named cards, trash this.
The buy restriction is actually pretty harsh and the card is probably fine without it given that you'll usually either be topdecking victory cards (making your next hand worse) stuff that reduces the value of the $4 you're getting.

Traveling Circus
Types: Action – Victory
Look through your deck and set aside any number of differently named Victory cards from it. Put them into your hand. Shuffle your deck.

Worth 1 VP for every 2 differently typed cards in your deck.

Clarification: Each unique combination of types counts as a unique type. For example, an Action card and an Action – Attack card count as differently-typed cards.

The Vp part is worded extremely awkwardly; it's reasonable to interpret it as saying that each distinct pair of cards with different types is worth a point. I feel like you need to remove mention of the cards to fix this but it'll still be awkward. The on play is rather swingy as it'll allow you to largely clear your deck of victory cards whenever you play it. Overall I don't like the card.

Nomad
Band of misfits is a balanced $5 and I feel that this is much better than it.

Harvest Queen
Set aside any number of differently named Action cards from your hand. Play them in any order.
I don't like this. Usually either it'll only be playing a couple of actions (in which case village is better) or you've already got a fairly good draw engine going and don't really need it.

Showman
+1 Action. Reveal a card from your hand, then reveal the top card of your deck. If they don't match, +1 Card and +$1.
This is really cute; I like it.

Old Gaffer
+$2. Each other player may reveal a hand without duplicate cards. If he doesn't, he gains a Curse.
I feel like having a not terrible bonus along with very likely cursing is too good for 4. Either increased cost and maybe a further bonus or a decreased bonus.

Wheat Field
Types: Victory
Worth 1 VP for every each differently named non-Victory card of which you have at least 4 copies.
Kind of anti-cornucopia esque but that's okay because hunting party.

Potluck
+2 Actions. +1 Buy. If you have at least 4 differently named cards in play (counting this): +2 Cards, +$1, discard 2 cards.
I don't think +2 cards, discard 2 cards is the bonus you want when you already have at least 3 other actions in play (barring certain shenanigens of course). I'd like it better as +1 Card, +$1.

Hydra
Cost: $???

I don't like cards that directly scale off the number you've played because they get very swingy. Here the scaling is have 1 hydra= nothing, 2 hydra=1 lab, 3 hydra= 3 labs, 4 hydra=6 labs. As a 5 cost I think this is about as well as you can implement the idea but I still don't like the idea.

Outcast
+1 Buy. +$1. Each other player discards any number of cards, then reveals his hand. Each player who reveals duplicate cards gains a Copper.
Giving coppers, this is weak, giving curses I like it (this is one of the ways old gaffer could go).

Dairy
+3 Cards. Reveal then discard any number of cards. If you discarded any cards, gain a card with cost up to $1 plus the number of differently named cards discarded. If you discarded at least 3 differently named cards, +1 Action.
The name is a bit too modern but the card is interesting.

Barter Shop
+1 Card. +1 Action. Reveal your hand. You may discard a card from your hand that is not a duplicate. If you do, gain a card costing up to $6 that is not a copy of a card in your hand.
This is possibly too strong.

Sharpening Stone
Worth $1. If you had at least 4 differently named cards in play (not including this), +1 Buy and +$2.
The general form is for this to be 5 including this.  Otherwise I feel this might be too strong, possibly at 5 with 2 base worth and 1 bonus.

Scythe
Trash any number of differently named cards from your hand. Gain a card with cost less than twice the number of cards trashed.
[/quote]
I feel like this is pretty weak the vast majority of the time. Surely doesn't need to cost 4.

jpople02

• Steward
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2013, 04:48:47 pm »

Nomad

I just don't know about swapping your cards out. As is, it feels like a card to correct your own strategic missteps. Or an activator for Menagerie. Or a pile emptier. Eh. I don't know. It needs a little more excitement. Maybe allow gaining up to one more than the cost of the trashed card?

So... Upgrade, basically?  I dunno, I quite like it in its current form.

Polk5440

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2013, 04:49:51 pm »

Nomad

Then it would be better than Upgrade. For $4. I think [+1 Card; +1 Action; Trash a card from your hand] is already pretty strong for $4. Nomad here is better than that. In general I also agree that the swap-for-the-same-cost is pretty niche, but potentially quite powerful. Overall I'm not in love with the card, although I respect the attempt in creating a swap-for-the-same-cost card. It's not easy. Butcher is an elegant way to go about it, but of course that's a very different card.

Of course that's right. I was trying to say something nice about a concept that keeps coming up. But I guess I really just don't like it either....

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2013, 05:18:31 pm »

Side Show
I feel like this could easily give $3 or $4 each play, that's too strong.

I think you underestimate how much work goes into making this activate. If you have only one other Action in your hand (not unusual), you get [+2 Actions; +$1], which is pretty bad. If you have two, you get a Festival minus the +1 Buy, which is a pretty mediocre $5. Getting three or more Actions in your hand reliably means you've either worked to trim everything else out of your deck or you built a really nice engine. And don't forget that at $5, you may have trouble building an engine that doesn't use Side Shows as its primary village, in which case the first few you play may not generate much coin at all.

I haven't playtested it myself, but I think it's likely within the acceptable power range for a $5 card.

Harvest Queen
I don't like this. Usually either it'll only be playing a couple of actions (in which case village is better) or you've already got a fairly good draw engine going and don't really need it.

Although I agree that the card looks weak in a vacuum, and that it could end up indeed being weak, I think it's a unique idea that deserves playtesting. If its only problem is that it's weak, there are two very easy fixes: Cost it at $4 or give it +1 Card. Or both!

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2013, 06:03:42 pm »

Bounty
Reveal then discard the top 2 cards of your deck. For each differently named card revealed, if it is an… Action card, +2 Actions; Treasure card, +$2; Victory card, +1 Card; Curse, +1 Buy.

Self-Tribute.  The big difference is that you flip your own cards instead of an opponent's.  Minor differences are that Victory cards only give +1 Card instead of +2, and Curses now give +Buy.  I believe that this is usually better because you have far more control of your own deck than an opponent's.  You can reliably use Bounty as a +4 Actions village if you build your deck appropriately.  It also combos better with deck inspection and hybrid cards.

Better does not mean it won't work.  It isn't strictly better anyway.  But the main thing I don't like is that it just feels too similar to Tribute for me.

Field

This is a Smithy variant that draws 1-4 cards.  Definitely fits the theme of wanting variety in deck, to allow you to draw more.  I quite like this.

Storyteller

The wording on this one is a bit awkward; it's a little confusing to parse.  OK, so it's a village variant.  It basically allows you to play action cards for free if they haven't yet been played that turn.  What happens when you have more than one Storyteller in play?  Playing a new action will actually give you net actions (e.g. two Storytellers in play, playing my first Goons will trigger the clause on both and give me +2 actions).  I can see that giving a LOT of extra actions, which could make it a really powerful village even for duplicate cards.  The Crossroads mechanic makes it harder to get multiples into play though.  I think it's interesting, but the wording needs work.

Scarecrow

This is kind of odd.  Suppose you open with Scarecrow.  That would actually be really bad, I think.  OK, yeah, playing this gets you to a hand of 6 with an extra action... but then you discard down to 2, or 3 at most.  Copper, Estate, your other opening.  Or maybe you get a bigger hand full of shelters.  Hmmm.  This reminds me of Inn, actually.  +2 Cards, +2 Actions, discard.  But you can build your deck to mitigate how much you have to discard.  $3 actually seems appropriate.  It has filtering over regular Village, and you can actually increase your hand size, but you might also have to decrease it sometimes.  Pretty neat.

Player King
Cost: $10
Trash a card from your hand. For each $ in its cost, gain a card costing up to $5 that is not a Victory card, putting it on top of your deck. If you gained 5 or more cards this way, trash this card.

In games using this, at the start of your Buy phase, you may reveal your hand. If there are no duplicate cards in it, Player King costs $5 less this turn (but not less than $0).

I don't like the name.  Is it a reference to something?

The action is stupidly powerful.  Trash an Estate and gain two Wharves?  It costs $10, which is prohibitive, but you can get it for cheaper if you have no duplicates in hand.

Trying to think of the best usage... you want it early because it lets you gain $5 cards quickly.  But it is also really difficult to get early.  $10 is generally too much; by the time you can make that kind of coin you would probably be better off buying Colonies, Plats or Provinces.  The reduced price is helpful, but it can actually be more difficult to get no duplicates than it is to get $10 in hand.  Trashing is pretty much required or else you will be gambling with Coppers and Estates.  So maybe it could be used as an engine building slingshot after you've trashed down significantly.  Yes, it is possible to get a hand without duplicates even without trashing, but that hand also needs to produce $5... and without trashing, getting to this stage requires significant luck.

It's broken with Black Market, I think.  Playing all your treasure in the action phase makes it much, much easier to have no duplicates in hand at the start of your buy phase.

I don't think this concept really works at any price.  It is so powerful that it has to be tough to get, but "tough to get" depends entirely on the board.  On many boards this will be impossible to pick up in time for any strategy, so it becomes a complete non-factor in the game.

On boards where you CAN reasonably get it, I feel like it would be dominating.  It empties piles incredibly quickly.  You can play it on another Player King to gain 10 cards at once.  If one of those cards is Border Village or IGG... oh man. 

I don't know.  I appreciate that this is a wild and unique idea, but I don't think it can work.  Props to the creator for submitting something so far out there.

Ingot
Worth $2. +1 Buy. If you have at least 4 differently-named Treasures in play (including this), +$2.

This is a Silver+.  At the least, it provides +Buy.  At best, it provides an extra $2 to be worth more than Gold.  To get there, you need to also have 3 other unique treasures in play.  This is always possible with Copper, Silver and Gold, but it appreciates alt Treasures.  There is a bit of a conflict with HoP because they both want to be played last.  HoP actually seems like a really good comparison.  HoP also, in a sense, gives money based on you having non-duplicate cards in play.  According to the Secret Histories, it was turned into a Workshop variant (gainer) so that you couldn't mix HoP's income with the rest of your coin, which was too powerful in earlier testing.  Ingot lets you do that, but it's more limited in that it only looks at Treasure and it only ever gets $2 extra.

This is most powerful when you can trigger it consistently.  This is pretty easy to achieve if you have decent draw.  I think it's too powerful as is.  Some possible tweaks would be to increase cost to $6 or to remove the +Buy.  Maybe even both, because I think it would be pretty easy to activate it every time.

I think it works though.  Looks OK.  Not super exciting to me.

Flea Market
+1 Card. +1 Action. +$1. This turn, you may buy any number of cards, but you may not buy more than one copy of any card.

"While this is in play" would probably be better wording.  I like it.  It's simple and thematic.  My main concern is that Flea Market could become a real detriment in the late game.  You can't double-Province!  The +Buy is quite good for building up the engine (assuming you need many different parts; you can't get two Villages with this) but not so good in the late game when you just want to green.  Quite possibly you would have to skip playing this at all.

But this could be a good thing -- it forces players to play differently.  I would be interested in seeing how it plays out.  I think that it could probably cost $4 because the drawback seems big to me.

Grocer

The wording is awkward.  As I understand it, the restriction simply forces you to put the token on the cheapest card possible that doesn't already have a token on it.  So the question is, how many tokens do you have? 

I assume infinite.  With that in mind, this card always plays the same way.  You put tokens on Copper, Curse, Estate, Silver, Duchy, Gold.  Sometimes you also have to hit Ruins and Potion.  Along the way you also put a token on each of the 10 kingdom cards (sometimes 11 with Young Witch).  And then you get to put a token on Province.  So that's usually 16 cards before Province, sometimes ranging up to 19 cards.  In some Prosperity games, two more plays will let you reach Colony.

So... how quickly can you play Grocer?  Can you play it enough times that you can gain Provinces fast enough?  Combos with cycling, TR, KC.

This card is like a time bomb.  If one person goes for it in a non-mirror, the other player has to gain enough VP before the Grocer player is gaining Provinces every round.  Note that the Grocer can gain other things on the way.  Grocer could gain more Grocers, or cycling cards (Warehouse!), or Duchies.  It reminds me of Rebuild with different pacing.  I don't know what the pacing is though.

I'm not fond of the concept.  Maybe Grocer was meant to be Kingdom cards only, rather than Supply cards.

Kaleidoscope
+1 Card. +1 Action. Reveal your hand and note the number of differently-named cards revealed. If you revealed at least: Two, +1 Buy; Three, +$1; Four, +1 Action; Five, +1 Card.

This is almost always at least a Market Square, and quite often a full-blown Market.  It isn't too terribly difficult to hit the last two bonuses either.  You only need 5 differently-named cards, and I know that this is quite simple to do from playing HoP games.  Probably needs to cost $5.

I think it works, but I am cooling on the variable/growing bonus concepts.

Raffle
+1 Action. Set aside any number of differently-named Treasure cards from your hand, then play them in any order. Draw until you have 5 cards in hand.

"Reveal and set aside" might be better.  I would have suggested just playing the cards directly, but perhaps that gets confusing with multiple Raffles.  Actually, you could probably just go "Reveal any number" without setting them aside.

This is probably too powerful.  One Treasure in hand and this is a Lab (other draw notwithstanding).  It just gets better if you have differently-named treasures, which is very likely.

I am not a fan because it seems too good for Big Money.  Throw in a +Buy and you're golden.  It can work in engines too, but I think it works better with money just to take advantage of that fixed draw.  Maybe I'm overestimating it though.

Vanguard

I don't know if the drawback is really that much of a drawback.  You can use it to clean out Copper from your deck!  It doesn't stop you from buying Provinces.  I just think it would be quite easy to play around the restriction.  I think it would be too powerful at any reasonable price, even with the forced trashing.

Pariah
Gain a card costing up to $6. Each other player may gain a Curse. If he does, he gains a copy of the card you gained.

I don't know how this plays out.  Might be worth it to take the Curse to gain a free Gold?  Probably worth it for power 5s like Wharf.  Maybe worth it late game for Duchies.

I don't think it fits Cornucopia very well.

Theater
[hr[

I don't really like the Treasure Map/Tournament mechanic of rewarding you for matching cards.  The card design looks decent though.  As a village, there is still a reason to buy Theater even if the Patron card is Adventurer.  That's nice.  I worry that it becomes way too strong with $5s that you want to spam -- Minion, Torturer and Wharf stand out to me.

Carnival

This is pretty weird.  If my opponent plays this, what do I pick first?  It's usually pretty obvious whether it would be better to take a card for yourself or to give it to opponents.  Maybe it gets tough with Silver?  A good terminal when you don't have enough village support?  I don't know.  But eventually, this card lets somebody gain a Province.  Or a Colony, if those are available.  That's a bit much, I think.

Side Show

I think it works.  Looks very reasonable.  Might be a bit too expensive because it takes a lot to get it working.  Note that you need to reveal 3 differently named actions before this beats Festival.

Wine Cellar
Reveal up to 2 differently named cards from your hand and put them on top of your deck. +$2 per card revealed this way.

When you buy this, reveal your hand. If you don't reveal at least 2 differently named cards, trash this.

Not sure about this.  Horse Traders has you discard any 2 cards and gives +$3 and +1 Buy.  This can gives +$1 more, but no +Buy, and you have to top-deck.  I suppose top-decking can be helpful fairly often though.

The on-buy restriction definitely seems extraneous though.  It's a very minor restriction and I don't think it's worth the space on the card.  The main thing it does is it makes it more difficult to open with Wine Cellar.  You would need $5, so you can keep Copper and Estate in hand.  But then this gets foiled in Shelter games.  Not to mention, Wine Cellar would be a weak opening anyway.  Yeah it's a +$4 card, but to get that you are probably top-decking a Copper and Estate.  That's terrible for you!

Ignoring the on-buy, the rest of it does seem pretty reasonable.  But I think it is quite similar to Horse Traders and it's not that interesting to me overall.

Traveling Circus
Types: Action – Victory
Look through your deck and set aside any number of differently named Victory cards from it. Put them into your hand. Shuffle your deck.

Worth 1 VP for every 2 differently typed cards in your deck.

Clarification: Each unique combination of types counts as a unique type. For example, an Action card and an Action – Attack card count as differently-typed cards.

I feel like the action would slow down the game a lot.

The VP is interesting.  What value can we get out of it?  Games will always have Curse, Victory and Treasure, almost always Action, and Action-Victory is guaranteed with this.  That's 5 types for 2VP.  Some other possible typings are Action-Attack, Action-Reaction, Victory-Reaction, Victory-Treasure, Treasure-Reaction.  That's another 5 possible types.  10 types is still just 5VP, and it takes a fair bit of work to get that into your deck.  Then there are Shelters, which pretty much add 3 types to your deck from the start.  There are Looters, which are worth up to two types (Action-Attack-Looter and Action-Looter).  There are Knights, with Josephine (Victory Knight) having a different typing than the rest.

Hmm... I think the VP value is reasonable.  Even with a bunch of unique cards in the kingdom, the value does not sky-rocket into ridiculous numbers.  However, I think the end effect comes out very similar to Fairgrounds.  You want a bunch of unique typings, which translates very close to unique cards.

Nomad

Hasn't this been submitted endlessly already?  It also doesn't seem particularly Cornucopish to me.

And hey, broken with Fortress.  Trash Fortress, gain Nomad to hand.  Repeat.  This has been pointed out in past submissions, so why isn't it dealt with in this one?

Harvest Queen

Similar to Storyteller above, but restricted to your current hand.  I believe it is weaker as a single copy, but much stronger when played in multiples.  The price feels appropriate, and the simple wording is a plus.  I like it.

Showman
+1 Action. Reveal a card from your hand, then reveal the top card of your deck. If they don't match, +1 Card and +$1.

I think this is usually a Peddler with a chance of whiffing.  The chance is greater at the start of the game, and it does encourage variety so you can further lower the chance of a match.  Peddler is generally agreed to be worth $4; this is $3 with only a minor drawback.  Not sure if it's enough to justify the low cost.  Feels weak at $4 though, so... I don't know.

Old Gaffer
+$2. Each other player may reveal a hand without duplicate cards. If he doesn't, he gains a Curse.

Man, it's pretty tough to have 5 non-duplicates.  This is pretty much always cursing unless somebody gets lucky, Knights and Black Market notwithstanding.  Maybe if it were $5, in which case it is generally weaker than Mountebank but more difficult to block.

Wheat Field
Types: Victory
Worth 1 VP for every each differently named non-Victory card of which you have at least 4 copies.

Although it looks for differently named cards, it also asks for duplicates of them.  That lowers the Cornucopia feel, especially because you're better of getting 4 of one thing than 1 each of four different things.

4 copies is significant for most cards.  With Wheat Field, you're probably counting on Copper and Silver to hit 2VP.  That's not so interesting, like a nerfed Feodum.  It's hard to count on anything else though.  If there is a good, cheap action card, then it will be contested.  With three players, it's possible that only one hits the requisite 4.  Even with two players you could lose the split if you're unlucky.  You don't want to load up on bad cards because it's just too much investment.

Potluck
+2 Actions. +1 Buy. If you have at least 4 differently named cards in play (counting this): +2 Cards, +$1, discard 2 cards.

This just doesn't appeal to me, but for no particular reason.  I like the name though!  Sorry I don't have better feedback than that for this card. :(

Hydra

This is too expensive!

Outcast
+1 Buy. +$1. Each other player discards any number of cards, then reveals his hand. Each player who reveals duplicate cards gains a Copper.

This is a copper junker that can be blocked by discarding duplicates.  That makes it stronger than Militia and Cutpurse in the early game, but much weaker in the late game.  Well, maybe not much stronger even early.  It might be stronger because people will often have hands full of Copper, in which case their whole turn gets destroyed when Militia/Cutpurse would only sting a bit  But Outcast lets you just take a Copper instead of discarding at all.  The choice to opponents makes this really weak.  Late game it hurts even less.  In general, you will have a greater variety of cards so you won't have to discard as much.  And if you choose to gain the Copper, the junk matters less because you won't be seeing it as much with the game close to ending.

I don't find this attack very compelling.

Dairy
+3 Cards. Reveal then discard any number of cards. If you discarded any cards, gain a card with cost up to $1 plus the number of differently named cards discarded. If you discarded at least 3 differently named cards, +1 Action.

This doesn't feel cohesive to me, and the name doesn't make sense to me.  OK, so it is always at least a Smithy if you want it.  Sometimes you can can make it non-terminal by discarding 3 different cards.  It can be a gainer too, but it's hard to get anything really wortwhile out of it.  I don't know, it doesn't work for me.  It's like a less-focused Vault.

Barter Shop
+1 Card. +1 Action. Reveal your hand. You may discard a card from your hand that is not a duplicate. If you do, gain a card costing up to $6 that is not a copy of a card in your hand.

Cantrip discard an Estate, gain a Gold?  Not always, but fairly often.  I can see how it fits Cornucopia, but it doesn't feel like a great fit to me.  The card wants a bit of variety so you have a non-duplicate to discard, and it gives you variety by having you gain something not in your hand.  But it also doesn't want too much variety in your hand, lest you get locked out of gaining what you want.  Very weird.

Sharpening Stone
Worth $1. If you had at least 4 differently named cards in play (not including this), +1 Buy and +$2.

Pretty much on the same lines as Ingot, above.  Differences:

Ingot is worth $1 more, and always comes with +1 Buy.  This is only a Copper base, and the +Buy is tied to the condition.  Sharpening Stone doesn't count itself, but it counts cards in general rather than Treasure only like Ingot.

I think I like this version more than Ingot, but the concept still isn't thrilling.

Scythe
Trash any number of differently named cards from your hand. Gain a card with cost less than twice the number of cards trashed.

I think this is only good against Ruins.  When you trash, you mainly want to trash junk.  This card is very weak for clearing out starting junk -- at best, you can remove 1 Estate and 1 Copper at once.  Granted, you can trash up to 4 cards at once with Shelters, if you get a perfect draw.  So how is this as a gainer?  Trashing 2 cards is the most likely situation, in which case you can gain a card costing up to $3.  Not that amazing.  If you trash 3 cards, you can get a $5 card.  If you trash 4 cards, you can get a $7.  That's not that great.  If you are trashing 3 or 4 differently named cards, you are probably trashing a Silver at least.

Hydra

OK, first response to this was just a joke. ;)

The reaction is fitting for the card name, but the card name does not fit Cornucopia IMO.  And actually, this card as a whole does not fit Cornucopia.  Not even slightly.  It's a self-stacking card, so you want multiple Hydras, and the reaction gains you more Hydras... that's the antithesis of "variety".

Anyway, I don't like self-stackers very much in general.  It stacks quickly too.  First one is a cantrip, second one is a lab.  $5 would probably be too expensive (3 Labs are still better than 3 Hydras that need to collide, and Labs are more reliable overall) but $4 might be too cheap.  Maybe $4 would be OK.

But again, this isn't even close to fitting the theme.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2013, 06:19:09 pm »

Storyteller

Giving +1 action to subsequent plays of cards is very scary and not something I think we should be able to do for $4. I feel like this would be better costing 5 with a small buff.

Is it really so scary?  It only gives +1 action for non-duplicates.  In the ideal case, Storyteller is the very first card you play.  If you want to play two duplicate cards, it's no better than Village.  You have to play two different cards for it to be better than Village, and a third differently named card for that advantage to matter at all.  And this is the ideal case -- it doesn't help you much at all if you play it after other action cards.  They are also junk if multiples collide, unlike Village which is always a cantrip.  Given that most engines like to play duplicates (e.g. multiple draw cards), this doesn't really seem so scary to me.

Scarecrow
Seems a bit too similar to menagerie.

Did you misread it?  It's almost the opposite of Menagerie.  Scarecrow is "draw, then discard until you have no duplicates".  Menagerie is "if you have no duplicates, draw".  Those would not play similarly at all.

Flea Market
The fact that this invalidates other sources of +buy is a large problem.

It doesn't invalidate other +Buy because of that gigantic drawback.

Wine Cellar

The buy restriction is actually pretty harsh and the card is probably fine without it given that you'll usually either be topdecking victory cards (making your next hand worse) stuff that reduces the value of the $4 you're getting.

Am I underestimating this restriction?  It seems like a very weak restriction to me, not harsh at all.  It's not terribly difficult to keep 2 differently named cards in your hand.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 21 queries.