Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: Forum mafia-inspired mafia  (Read 22310 times)

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
Re: Forum mafia-inspired mafia
« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2013, 05:49:28 pm »

Also, inspired by that game and the forum mafia I've read, I'm doing a class project tonight that uses mafia games to teach cybernetics and systems theory concepts, so that's fun...

Ack, I'm modding this! Quick, ideas for 5 and 6 player setups!
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2013, 05:50:16 pm »

I saw soulnet's idea and it sounds cool, but it'd kinda suck if the mafia got lynched day 1.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2013, 05:59:05 pm »

I saw soulnet's idea and it sounds cool, but it'd kinda suck if the mafia got lynched day 1.

Ok, so what if, for a 6 player game, I added 1 mafia roleblocker?

So
Mafia Goon
Mafia Blocker
Cop (guilty result on other cop)
Cop (guilty result on other cop)
Doctor
VT

This is sounding really complicated for a party game...Not very experienced players here.

manda2014

• Baron
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2013, 06:54:22 pm »

Also, inspired by that game and the forum mafia I've read, I'm doing a class project tonight that uses mafia games to teach cybernetics and systems theory concepts, so that's fun...

Looks like it's going to work well. We still have a couple group members who need to propose games to use, but I suspect that we'll end up using mafia for our big project. Basically we'll have the class break into groups of 10 and play a psychology-themed mafia, focusing on concepts of communication, feedback, and closed versus open systems. Should be fun. Now to write a paper about it.....

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +532
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2013, 08:53:36 pm »

There's a Mafiascum setup I remember reading for 6 players. I think it was the following:
Nightless
2 Mafia Goon Lovers
4 Vanilla Town

Mafia can't bus, but town can only make 1 mistake. It's kinda balanced, I think and has interesting bluffing mechanics going on.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2019
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2013, 12:31:41 pm »

There's a Mafiascum setup I remember reading for 6 players. I think it was the following:
Nightless
2 Mafia Goon Lovers
4 Vanilla Town

Mafia can't bus, but town can only make 1 mistake. It's kinda balanced, I think and has interesting bluffing mechanics going on.

Lovers is equivalent to white flag (with two scum) right?

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 15, 2013, 01:49:22 pm »

Nightless
2 Mafia Goon Lovers
4 Vanilla Town

Lovers is equivalent to white flag (with two scum) right?

Yeah, it's functionally identical in this situation, I just said Lovers because that conceptually is more fun, imho.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 15, 2013, 01:53:26 pm »

Yeah, it's functionally identical in this situation, I just said Lovers because that conceptually is more fun, imho.

Truth. There's just something about the "white flag" concept that feels icky to me.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 15, 2013, 02:05:45 pm »
+3

Truth. There's just something about the "white flag" concept that feels icky to me.

The only excuse I will accept for a mafia goon surrendering is TRUE LOVE.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 15, 2013, 02:24:59 pm »
+2

The only excuse I will accept for a mafia goon surrendering is TRUE LOVE.

No, he said "To bluff".  He probably was making a huge bluff and bussing his scumbuddy, and it cost him the game.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

manda2014

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2013, 08:41:43 pm »

Alright so we're starting a new game tomorrow night, and I'm trying to figure out how to do the setup this time. Last game we had 7 players and we did 5 town (4 vt, 1 doctor) and 2 mafia (1 goon, 1 roleblocker). I can't decide if that was balanced and it was just really bad luck that they lynched the doctor day 1, or if the town was not strong enough. Unfortunately, I think 7 is as many as we can get to play this time as well. Thoughts?

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 17, 2013, 08:46:19 pm »
+1

I think its balanced. At least, for real life Mafia. If you want more roles, I think 3 Vanilla Townies/Town Cop/Town Doc/Mafia Roleblocker/Mafia Godfather could work well IRL.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 17, 2013, 08:52:50 pm »
+1

I think its balanced. At least, for real life Mafia. If you want more roles, I think 3 Vanilla Townies/Town Cop/Town Doc/Mafia Roleblocker/Mafia Godfather could work well IRL.

I really like this idea!

manda2014

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 17, 2013, 08:54:00 pm »

I really like this idea!

I think that sounds good. It'll add some excitement that the last game seemed to be missing.

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 17, 2013, 09:01:18 pm »

I think:

1 IC
3 VTs
1 Cop
1 Goon
1 Godfather

Would be cool.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 17, 2013, 09:03:25 pm »

Oh wait, Tables had a good point about cops who are also neighbors. Do you guys think that is too big of an advantage for town or is it mitigated by the godfather? What if the mafia didn't have their roles revealed at death?

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 17, 2013, 09:17:33 pm »

Oh wait, Tables had a good point about cops who are also neighbors. Do you guys think that is too big of an advantage for town or is it mitigated by the godfather? What if the mafia didn't have their roles revealed at death?

Will you have a Coroner, then?  Seems sort of Bastard if you don't have a way for people to know if their reads were good, how to look at the wagon, etc.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 17, 2013, 09:25:12 pm »

Will you have a Coroner, then?  Seems sort of Bastard if you don't have a way for people to know if their reads were good, how to look at the wagon, etc.

I dunno, it doesn't seem terribly bastard as long as they get alignment. It'd still be possible for the town to figure out if the roleblocker was alive based on night action results. But it does seem really strong for the cop to tell people they've found them innocent, and keeping the suspicion of the godfather alive could help nerf the cop. Maybe I am extra concerned because I dislike cops.

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 17, 2013, 10:36:01 pm »

I dunno, it doesn't seem terribly bastard as long as they get alignment. It'd still be possible for the town to figure out if the roleblocker was alive based on night action results. But it does seem really strong for the cop to tell people they've found them innocent, and keeping the suspicion of the godfather alive could help nerf the cop. Maybe I am extra concerned because I dislike cops.

Oh, I read that wrong.  If you are giving alignment on flip, no issue.

Edit: Also, you should do the same for town, so no roles there.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 17, 2013, 10:42:33 pm »

That seems reasonable, especially since town is likely to claim their roles before they die. Do you think that's an adequate nerf to the cop, keeping in mind that the cop can go to people with his results in secret?

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 17, 2013, 10:46:33 pm »

That seems reasonable, especially since town is likely to claim their roles before they die. Do you think that's an adequate nerf to the cop, keeping in mind that the cop can go to people with his results in secret?

I mean, what's the true worry here?

We have a Cop, who is also a neighbor with the entire game, basically.

On Day 2, the Cop will have a result, assuming he lived.  That result will be guilty, which he would just want to share with everyone, or innocent, which might be the godfather.  Unless he really trusts someone, why would he tell anyone he got an innocent result, unless to save someone at L-1?

I don't think you need any changes, including the hidden roles, to be honest, even with neighbors.  I don't see why the Cop would trust anyone to tell them something secretly anyway.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 17, 2013, 10:55:15 pm »

I mean, what's the true worry here?

We have a Cop, who is also a neighbor with the entire game, basically.

On Day 2, the Cop will have a result, assuming he lived.  That result will be guilty, which he would just want to share with everyone, or innocent, which might be the godfather.  Unless he really trusts someone, why would he tell anyone he got an innocent result, unless to save someone at L-1?

I don't think you need any changes, including the hidden roles, to be honest, even with neighbors.  I don't see why the Cop would trust anyone to tell them something secretly anyway.

You're probably right. Earlier in the thread, Tables made the good point that cop is extra strong in a game where everybody is a neighbor because they can go to the person they just investigated innocently in private, which can be very powerful for a variety of reasons. Cops are already silly strong, especially in a game this size, so they totally don't need this extra buff. I am just hoping to ensure that including a godfather in the game will be enough of a nerf to the cop, possibly even to the point where he's weaker than a regular cop. I think that not revealing role upon death (thus keeping the cop from becoming super-powered if the godfather is unluckily lynched on day 1) will help do just that.

Edit: I think not revealing roles upon death just helps reduce variance. With just a couple roles, having a particular player lynched day 1 can really swing the game in favor of one faction and I want to minimize that as much as possible.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 10:57:04 pm by Dsell »

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 17, 2013, 10:59:46 pm »

I firmly believe that the Godfather inclusion, along with the hidden roles on flip, is plenty to ensure your Cop isn't OP.  There's no Doc, so once he claims, he's toast.

He has a 1/6 chance to catch the Goon and reveal, then die.  He has a 1/5 chance of hitting the Godfather.  That means 20% of the time, his "innocent" is actually guilty, and going to them privately just leads to his death.  I don't take the 20% chance as a cop.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 17, 2013, 11:11:19 pm »

Ash, what do you think of Archetype's suggestion here:

It mitigates the Doctor/Cop brokenness by including a roleblocker. It looks fun to me. The main difference is trading the in-the-spotlight pressure on the IC for the behind-the-scenes pressure on the doctor. Probably both are good, and I think that hiding the roles on the flip prevent the doctor from being OP in both scenarios.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 17, 2013, 11:14:52 pm »

I did 1 JK/6 VT/1 Goon/1 MRoleblocker. They lynched the JK on the first day, mislynched the second day, monday is MYLO. And the mafia haven't been suspected a bit. Town is screwed.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 2.633 seconds with 20 queries.