Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Author Topic: Forum mafia-inspired mafia  (Read 22207 times)

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
Forum mafia-inspired mafia
« on: November 07, 2013, 01:21:47 am »
+2

After a couple of fun games of The Resistance tonight, one of my friends had what I think is a terrific idea: expand mafia to include a timeline more like forum mafia. Play a game of mafia over many days, with all interactions being fair game. Each day could be a normal day and night occurs each night. There would be one mandatory meeting for all living players each night to vote and lynch, followed by a couple hours where the mafia can discuss via text, etc and discuss their target, which would be sent to the mod the same night.

I think it would be important to prevent the mafia from essentially having daychat by forbidding them to discuss the game in private. Other than that, I really want to hear your suggestions. Would it work? What numbers would work best? Any roles or specific formats we should think about including? Any other special considerations for a game of this type?

We're pretty sure this is gonna happen soon, we thought the forum would be the perfect place to work out the details!
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
Re: Forum mafia-inspired mafia
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 12:19:28 pm »

Go ahead and let the mafia daytalk.  Forbidding daytalk is a tradition based on the original face-to-face version of the game, but it doesn't have enough merits to be considered definitely superior to allowing daytalk.  It doesn't make the mafia overpowered; in fact, when I'm mafia and I'm allowed to daytalk I use it very sparingly, I'm fairly certain using it immerses me in the scum psyche more and makes it harder to say the right things in public.

The enforcement difficulties going on here push things over the edge, if you're in real proximity with a person facial expression can communicate more than human speech, even if the players are honest and want to adhere to your rule.  If I hang out with Alice in private after Alice makes a very major scumslip my disappointment in Alice will be difficult to disguise whether or not I use English.

Be sure to use a powered down town for face to faceness. 

Throw a governor in, that's pretty fun.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 12:28:09 pm »

I don't think it would be the worst thing to just let everyone alive chat privately whenever they want outside of the official Day. I mean, Neighbours aren't all that powerful, so why not just let everyone be Neighbours? Maybe you want to take that into consideration for balancing purposes. Obviously Cops become more powerful if they can chat privately with their Town results. It might be fun for players to interrogate other players throughout the course of a RL day, then come back to the group with the result. I think restricting the game to certain times almost defeats the purpose of playing over multiple RL days. Sounds fun though!

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 02:03:11 pm »

I don't think it would be the worst thing to just let everyone alive chat privately whenever they want outside of the official Day. I mean, Neighbours aren't all that powerful, so why not just let everyone be Neighbours? Maybe you want to take that into consideration for balancing purposes. Obviously Cops become more powerful if they can chat privately with their Town results. It might be fun for players to interrogate other players throughout the course of a RL day, then come back to the group with the result. I think restricting the game to certain times almost defeats the purpose of playing over multiple RL days. Sounds fun though!

Yeah, the idea is that essentially everyone would be neighbors. All interaction, not just interaction when everyone is present, is on the table. Because this is actually a pretty significant boost for town, I guess it makes sense for mafia to have daychat too. It does simplify things!

What should the minimum number of players be?

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 02:59:44 pm »

7 is the minimum that ever works in forum mafia.  You'll want 9 though, that's going to be best, 7 man mafia tends to suck.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 03:04:49 pm »

7 is the minimum that ever works in forum mafia.  You'll want 9 though, that's going to be best, 7 man mafia tends to suck.

I've played three person mafia.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 03:06:45 pm »

Isn't that pretty much Win/Lose/Banana?
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 03:08:21 pm »

It's Town/Mafia/Jester, and nobody can refuse to vote, and you can't vote yourself.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2013, 03:36:14 pm »

We have 5 people who I'm pretty sure will play, plus we can ask at least a few more if they're interested. I think 9 would be ok to shoot for.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2013, 04:57:19 pm »
+1

It's Town/Mafia/Jester, and nobody can refuse to vote, and you can't vote yourself.

I have a better than 50% win rate playing 1-player Mafia.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2013, 04:58:19 pm »
+2

"Isn't that pretty much Win/Lose/Banana?"
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2013, 05:14:19 pm »

So the ultimate decision of what roles are gonna be in the game will be up to the mod (which is not me), but do you have any other suggestions for roles? Governor sounds like a good idea, Doctor and Cop are classics (although I personally dislike standard Cops), I'm sure several other roles are good for face to face games. I may look at Werewolf for inspiration. Any specific setups people would suggest for a small face to face game? We are striving for some balance between town and mafia.

manda2014

• Baron
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2013, 05:17:20 pm »

As the friend mentioned in the original post, also keep in mind that the game will mostly be people who have only ever played (or even observed) mafia as a party game, and have played a few games of The Resistance.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2013, 05:37:42 pm »

I would avoid cop, and other direct allegiance checkers. The ability for a cop to check someone and then tell them he's found out they're clean is far more potent than you might first expect. I've played in a lot of OC (outside contact) mafia games on forums, and almost always, cops will lead to a form of town leader who tells everyone else how to play. You might well avoid that problem because of it being more like a party game and inexperience, but it's still a danger.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

manda2014

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2013, 02:26:56 pm »

So we officially have seven people in to play (with a small chance we can get two more). What is the best ratio of roles to vanilla town for seven (with "vanilla" in this case meaning neighbor)?

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2013, 11:49:44 am »
+1

2 mafia, 5 town is without a doubt the way to go. Town must lynch correctly 2 times out of 3. That's not a good position for them to be in, so they need some kind of power(s) to make up the difference. I would probably go for 1 fairly strong role or 2 weaker ones.

For 9 player, 2 mafia and 7 town means town has to lynch correctly 2 out of 4 times. That's a much stronger place to be, so a game with no roles would probably be close to balanced. I would maybe consider adding something on each side (e.g. a mafia roleblocker and a weak town role, or a Godfather and a cop) but not much more than that.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

manda2014

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2013, 11:43:15 pm »

Which roles would you suggest? I think we're gonna have three setup known to everyone from the outset. Dsell suggested d doctor as 1 strong town role. Thoughts?

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2013, 11:52:45 pm »

Doctor and then Mafia Roleblocker should work out alright.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2013, 10:58:56 am »

We played 5-person flash-Mafia and was pretty fun, though quite different from the actual game. There was actually 6 of us and the coordinator was assigned randomly each game. There were two Cops, one Mafia, one Doctor and one Townspeople, but Cops asking for another Cop are answered positively.

manda2014

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2013, 12:45:23 am »

At the end of day 1: dsell is lynched, even after claiming doctor with no one counterclaiming.........

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2013, 01:03:26 am »

At the end of day 1: dsell is lynched, even after claiming doctor with no one counterclaiming.........

Yay. Me.

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2013, 06:45:18 pm »

Yay. Me.
But were you the Doctor?

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2013, 07:03:23 pm »

Yay. Me.
But were you the Doctor?

Yes, yes I was.

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2013, 10:21:00 pm »

Yay. Me.
But were you the Doctor?

Yes, yes I was.

Sounds about right.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2013, 10:24:25 pm »

We're doing this at school.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2013, 10:48:59 pm »

Day 2 voting starts in 15 minutes! Town's in lylo already,  this maaaay end up being a practice game. :p

manda2014

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2013, 12:00:53 am »

Well, the town wised up and lynched the VERY SCUMMY mafia roleblocker (although roleblocker was irrelevant after they lynched dsell). Tomorrow night will be the end.

manda2014

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2013, 12:03:08 am »

How many people do you have playing? Have you found anything in particular that works in the forum but doesn't work irl?

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2013, 12:07:43 am »

How many people do you have playing? Have you found anything in particular that works in the forum but doesn't work irl?
I haven't even started yet. Day 1 of UCAS Mafia 1 starts tomorrow.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2013, 12:22:36 am »

Lucky! I'd kill for this to happen at my school. And kill for it more if I were Mafia!

manda2014

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2013, 12:33:06 am »

Our current game will definitely end tomorrow night, and I'm gonna push for a second game to start up immediately. Hopefully the 7 people involved will be up for that. If not, we'll probably have to wait until January to play another game, but I think we can get at least 12 to play at that point. I'm really enjoying it (and loving how modding a game feels a bit like playing god), so I really hope we can make it into a big-ish thing next semester.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2013, 12:34:15 am »
+1

Our current game will definitely end tomorrow night, and I'm gonna push for a second game to start up immediately. Hopefully the 7 people involved will be up for that. If not, we'll probably have to wait until January to play another game, but I think we can get at least 12 to play at that point. I'm really enjoying it (and loving how modding a game feels a bit like playing god), so I really hope we can make it into a big-ish thing next semester.

Also she is pretty good at writing flavor! It's been a fun game to observe....*grumble grumble*

manda2014

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2013, 12:36:41 am »

Also she is pretty good at writing flavor! It's been a fun game to observe....*grumble grumble*

Maybe you can convince them not to kill you next time XD

manda2014

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2013, 12:37:38 am »

Also we were VERY CLOSE to no-lynch on day 1. Someone threw the hammer in the last 15 seconds to avoid no-lynch and has been beating himself up for it all day.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2013, 12:37:52 am »
+1

I thought I had an ace in the hole, I was even trying to play a little scummy on day 1. A good forum mafia tactic, but alas.

manda2014

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2013, 12:41:12 am »

I thought I had an ace in the hole, I was even trying to play a little scummy on day 1. A good forum mafia tactic, but alas.

I'm still trying to figure out HOW they didn't change their minds about killing you after you claimed Doctor and NO ONE WAS COUNTER-CLAIMING. That should have been a clear sign that they needed to take a step back buuuuuuuut apparently not.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2013, 03:00:41 pm »

They lynched the JAILKEEPER before he could claim  :P

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2013, 07:08:27 pm »

Should players be allowed to show each other texts and other private communications? I tend to think not, but it's a sort of weird situation that there's not a specific rule for in this game.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2013, 07:30:12 pm »

Should players be allowed to show each other texts and other private communications? I tend to think not, but it's a sort of weird situation that there's not a specific rule for in this game.
I said no.

manda2014

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2013, 08:12:04 pm »

My inclination is to allow it, and then revisit whether that's something we want to be allowed for the next game.

manda2014

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2013, 08:13:15 pm »

On the grounds that it's gossip between neighbors, and that it's feasible that someone could forge a text message from someone by texting themselves and changing the contact name, so it's not fully provable

manda2014

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2013, 11:10:35 pm »

Time for the final night of voting! Town has to either lynch the last mafia or die. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they'll want to play a second game starting tomorrow night.

manda2014

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2013, 11:25:03 pm »

Well, that was fast........... they took like <10 minutes and then lynched town..... *disappointed face*

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2013, 11:29:15 pm »
+2

BTW, are you Dsell's raerae?

manda2014

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2013, 11:32:53 pm »
+1

Haha. No. We're just friends. We met freshman year and we've been hanging out ever since. Lots of people think that though....

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2013, 11:44:58 pm »

Well, that was fast........... they took like <10 minutes and then lynched town..... *disappointed face*
Did they agree to play another game?

manda2014

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2013, 11:46:24 pm »

Did they agree to play another game?

At least one person isn't willing to play another game this semester, so it may or may not happen. We'll see.

manda2014

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2013, 11:54:28 pm »

Looks we tentatively can get another game started next week? A couple people are saying they really don't have time but will still play if we need people.

manda2014

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2013, 01:40:09 pm »

Also, inspired by that game and the forum mafia I've read, I'm doing a class project tonight that uses mafia games to teach cybernetics and systems theory concepts, so that's fun...

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2013, 02:06:17 pm »

I've done it and you don't need this setup. One person shuffles three cards facedown, one indicates someone is a mafia player, the other two are town cards. As long as you trust the shuffler to shuffle to a point they've lost track of the mafia card, no one knows who the mafia is except for whoever drew the mafia card. 1 lynch decides the game.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2013, 05:49:28 pm »

Also, inspired by that game and the forum mafia I've read, I'm doing a class project tonight that uses mafia games to teach cybernetics and systems theory concepts, so that's fun...

Ack, I'm modding this! Quick, ideas for 5 and 6 player setups!

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2013, 05:50:16 pm »

I saw soulnet's idea and it sounds cool, but it'd kinda suck if the mafia got lynched day 1.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2013, 05:59:05 pm »

I saw soulnet's idea and it sounds cool, but it'd kinda suck if the mafia got lynched day 1.

Ok, so what if, for a 6 player game, I added 1 mafia roleblocker?

So
Mafia Goon
Mafia Blocker
Cop (guilty result on other cop)
Cop (guilty result on other cop)
Doctor
VT

This is sounding really complicated for a party game...Not very experienced players here.

manda2014

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2013, 06:54:22 pm »

Looks like it's going to work well. We still have a couple group members who need to propose games to use, but I suspect that we'll end up using mafia for our big project. Basically we'll have the class break into groups of 10 and play a psychology-themed mafia, focusing on concepts of communication, feedback, and closed versus open systems. Should be fun. Now to write a paper about it.....

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2013, 08:53:36 pm »

There's a Mafiascum setup I remember reading for 6 players. I think it was the following:
Nightless
2 Mafia Goon Lovers
4 Vanilla Town

Mafia can't bus, but town can only make 1 mistake. It's kinda balanced, I think and has interesting bluffing mechanics going on.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2013, 12:31:41 pm »

There's a Mafiascum setup I remember reading for 6 players. I think it was the following:
Nightless
2 Mafia Goon Lovers
4 Vanilla Town

Mafia can't bus, but town can only make 1 mistake. It's kinda balanced, I think and has interesting bluffing mechanics going on.

Lovers is equivalent to white flag (with two scum) right?

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 15, 2013, 01:49:22 pm »

Nightless
2 Mafia Goon Lovers
4 Vanilla Town

Lovers is equivalent to white flag (with two scum) right?

Yeah, it's functionally identical in this situation, I just said Lovers because that conceptually is more fun, imho.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 15, 2013, 01:53:26 pm »

Yeah, it's functionally identical in this situation, I just said Lovers because that conceptually is more fun, imho.

Truth. There's just something about the "white flag" concept that feels icky to me.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 15, 2013, 02:05:45 pm »
+3

Truth. There's just something about the "white flag" concept that feels icky to me.

The only excuse I will accept for a mafia goon surrendering is TRUE LOVE.

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 15, 2013, 02:24:59 pm »
+2

The only excuse I will accept for a mafia goon surrendering is TRUE LOVE.

No, he said "To bluff".  He probably was making a huge bluff and bussing his scumbuddy, and it cost him the game.

manda2014

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2013, 08:41:43 pm »

Alright so we're starting a new game tomorrow night, and I'm trying to figure out how to do the setup this time. Last game we had 7 players and we did 5 town (4 vt, 1 doctor) and 2 mafia (1 goon, 1 roleblocker). I can't decide if that was balanced and it was just really bad luck that they lynched the doctor day 1, or if the town was not strong enough. Unfortunately, I think 7 is as many as we can get to play this time as well. Thoughts?

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 17, 2013, 08:46:19 pm »
+1

I think its balanced. At least, for real life Mafia. If you want more roles, I think 3 Vanilla Townies/Town Cop/Town Doc/Mafia Roleblocker/Mafia Godfather could work well IRL.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 17, 2013, 08:52:50 pm »
+1

I think its balanced. At least, for real life Mafia. If you want more roles, I think 3 Vanilla Townies/Town Cop/Town Doc/Mafia Roleblocker/Mafia Godfather could work well IRL.

I really like this idea!

manda2014

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 17, 2013, 08:54:00 pm »

I really like this idea!

I think that sounds good. It'll add some excitement that the last game seemed to be missing.

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 17, 2013, 09:01:18 pm »

I think:

1 IC
3 VTs
1 Cop
1 Goon
1 Godfather

Would be cool.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 17, 2013, 09:03:25 pm »

Oh wait, Tables had a good point about cops who are also neighbors. Do you guys think that is too big of an advantage for town or is it mitigated by the godfather? What if the mafia didn't have their roles revealed at death?

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 17, 2013, 09:17:33 pm »

Oh wait, Tables had a good point about cops who are also neighbors. Do you guys think that is too big of an advantage for town or is it mitigated by the godfather? What if the mafia didn't have their roles revealed at death?

Will you have a Coroner, then?  Seems sort of Bastard if you don't have a way for people to know if their reads were good, how to look at the wagon, etc.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 17, 2013, 09:25:12 pm »

Will you have a Coroner, then?  Seems sort of Bastard if you don't have a way for people to know if their reads were good, how to look at the wagon, etc.

I dunno, it doesn't seem terribly bastard as long as they get alignment. It'd still be possible for the town to figure out if the roleblocker was alive based on night action results. But it does seem really strong for the cop to tell people they've found them innocent, and keeping the suspicion of the godfather alive could help nerf the cop. Maybe I am extra concerned because I dislike cops.

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 17, 2013, 10:36:01 pm »

I dunno, it doesn't seem terribly bastard as long as they get alignment. It'd still be possible for the town to figure out if the roleblocker was alive based on night action results. But it does seem really strong for the cop to tell people they've found them innocent, and keeping the suspicion of the godfather alive could help nerf the cop. Maybe I am extra concerned because I dislike cops.

Oh, I read that wrong.  If you are giving alignment on flip, no issue.

Edit: Also, you should do the same for town, so no roles there.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 17, 2013, 10:42:33 pm »

That seems reasonable, especially since town is likely to claim their roles before they die. Do you think that's an adequate nerf to the cop, keeping in mind that the cop can go to people with his results in secret?

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 17, 2013, 10:46:33 pm »

That seems reasonable, especially since town is likely to claim their roles before they die. Do you think that's an adequate nerf to the cop, keeping in mind that the cop can go to people with his results in secret?

I mean, what's the true worry here?

We have a Cop, who is also a neighbor with the entire game, basically.

On Day 2, the Cop will have a result, assuming he lived.  That result will be guilty, which he would just want to share with everyone, or innocent, which might be the godfather.  Unless he really trusts someone, why would he tell anyone he got an innocent result, unless to save someone at L-1?

I don't think you need any changes, including the hidden roles, to be honest, even with neighbors.  I don't see why the Cop would trust anyone to tell them something secretly anyway.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 17, 2013, 10:55:15 pm »

I mean, what's the true worry here?

We have a Cop, who is also a neighbor with the entire game, basically.

On Day 2, the Cop will have a result, assuming he lived.  That result will be guilty, which he would just want to share with everyone, or innocent, which might be the godfather.  Unless he really trusts someone, why would he tell anyone he got an innocent result, unless to save someone at L-1?

I don't think you need any changes, including the hidden roles, to be honest, even with neighbors.  I don't see why the Cop would trust anyone to tell them something secretly anyway.

You're probably right. Earlier in the thread, Tables made the good point that cop is extra strong in a game where everybody is a neighbor because they can go to the person they just investigated innocently in private, which can be very powerful for a variety of reasons. Cops are already silly strong, especially in a game this size, so they totally don't need this extra buff. I am just hoping to ensure that including a godfather in the game will be enough of a nerf to the cop, possibly even to the point where he's weaker than a regular cop. I think that not revealing role upon death (thus keeping the cop from becoming super-powered if the godfather is unluckily lynched on day 1) will help do just that.

Edit: I think not revealing roles upon death just helps reduce variance. With just a couple roles, having a particular player lynched day 1 can really swing the game in favor of one faction and I want to minimize that as much as possible.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 10:57:04 pm by Dsell »

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 17, 2013, 10:59:46 pm »

I firmly believe that the Godfather inclusion, along with the hidden roles on flip, is plenty to ensure your Cop isn't OP.  There's no Doc, so once he claims, he's toast.

He has a 1/6 chance to catch the Goon and reveal, then die.  He has a 1/5 chance of hitting the Godfather.  That means 20% of the time, his "innocent" is actually guilty, and going to them privately just leads to his death.  I don't take the 20% chance as a cop.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 17, 2013, 11:11:19 pm »

Ash, what do you think of Archetype's suggestion here:

It mitigates the Doctor/Cop brokenness by including a roleblocker. It looks fun to me. The main difference is trading the in-the-spotlight pressure on the IC for the behind-the-scenes pressure on the doctor. Probably both are good, and I think that hiding the roles on the flip prevent the doctor from being OP in both scenarios.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 17, 2013, 11:14:52 pm »

I did 1 JK/6 VT/1 Goon/1 MRoleblocker. They lynched the JK on the first day, mislynched the second day, monday is MYLO. And the mafia haven't been suspected a bit. Town is screwed.

manda2014

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 17, 2013, 11:15:27 pm »

It mitigates the Doctor/Cop brokenness by including a roleblocker. It looks fun to me. The main difference is trading the in-the-spotlight pressure on the IC for the behind-the-scenes pressure on the doctor. Probably both are good, and I think that hiding the roles on the flip prevent the doctor from being OP in both scenarios.

Hiding roles on the flip sounds good to me. I'm more inclined to say we do the IC rather than the doctor, but mostly because we've already done doctor and I'd like to try out/expose this group to a wide variety of roles.

I really really just want them all to like playing enough that we can get a big game going in January XD

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 17, 2013, 11:15:45 pm »

I agree that it would be fine, balance-wise.

I guess it depends on what you are looking to get out of the game.  It's IRL, it's with real people that you know.  Are they going to prefer the focus on daytime scum hunting more, or will they like the night action results stuff?  The more roles you include, the more people focus on nights and claims.

And that's cool, but it needs to be what you want.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 17, 2013, 11:19:08 pm »
+1

And...roles are being assigned! We are going with Ashersky's version with the IC. I only know this because she's sitting next to me drawing names from a hat. XD

manda2014

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 17, 2013, 11:21:32 pm »

And...roles are being assigned! We are going with Ashersky's version with the IC. I only know this because she's sitting next to me drawing names from a hat. XD

I think you're confused about what qualifies as a hat.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 17, 2013, 11:22:33 pm »

I think you're confused about what qualifies as a hat.

Hey I wasn't looking. It's an expression.

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 17, 2013, 11:33:27 pm »
+1

Dsell, if you can be silly here, go be silly in BM14.

Also, manda, wtf for not signing up for games.

manda2014

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 18, 2013, 12:09:50 am »

Dsell, if you can be silly here, go be silly in BM14.

Also, manda, wtf for not signing up for games.

I keep telling him to post in there! I'm trying to read along and it's going so sloooooow.

I'm entertaining thoughts of signing up (again, finally). But I can't add a game until Christmas break. Maybe Mafia and the Chocolate Factory. Dsell is always giving me crap about fizzling out in the last (and only) game I played. XD

manda2014

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 18, 2013, 12:12:33 am »

I keep telling him to post in there! I'm trying to read along and it's going so sloooooow.

To be fair, the last game I followed very closely was a MASSIVE one two summers ago and anytime I went more than an hour or so without checking for updates I would have PAGES AND PAGES to read.

manda2014

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 18, 2013, 10:51:55 pm »

Kicking off game 2 in about ten minutes! People seem to be getting into it a little more this time around. I'm really excited to see how it goes.

manda2014

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 19, 2013, 12:21:07 am »

They hit scum day 1 this time! Things are looking up for town.

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 19, 2013, 12:56:43 am »

They lynched an hour and a half into the game?

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 19, 2013, 12:58:26 am »

The game started late last night. We've had all day to talk, and we all came together earlier this evening to vote. Voting took 45 minutes to an hour.

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 19, 2013, 01:03:14 am »

The game started late last night. We've had all day to talk, and we all came together earlier this evening to vote. Voting took 45 minutes to an hour.

Huh.  Manda said at 10:51 p.m. that the game was tarting in 10 minutes, then at 12:21 a.m. that they lynched scum.  Here it looks like two hours.  Weird.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 19, 2013, 01:05:49 am »

Yeah, she meant first voting round. The game started last night (not long after she posted about assigning roles) and there was actually quite a lot of talk and scheming on day one from what I could tell...having an IC neighbor does that.

manda2014

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 19, 2013, 01:45:30 am »

Huh.  Manda said at 10:51 p.m. that the game was tarting in 10 minutes, then at 12:21 a.m. that they lynched scum.  Here it looks like two hours.  Weird.

Oops, sorry! Meant voting. It's weird because people can scheme all day, but actual "play" involving the ability to vote only happens in the evening.

manda2014

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 19, 2013, 09:43:09 pm »

Looks like town has day 2 tied up pretty nicely.... Dsell is the cop and he's had the mafia nailed from the beginning.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 19, 2013, 10:33:10 pm »
+1

Looks like town has day 2 tied up pretty nicely.... Dsell is the cop and he's had the mafia nailed from the beginning.

Wut wut! I'm discovering that I'm quite a bit better at playing town with people I know.

manda2014

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 19, 2013, 11:54:33 pm »

Wut wut! I'm discovering that I'm quite a bit better at playing town with people I know.

Literally every person is like "omg you're impossible to read omg you're so good at this game I'm so intimidated."

manda2014

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 19, 2013, 11:58:00 pm »

Oh look town won.

Verdict on 7-person real-life mafia.... it's lacking a lot. Both sides can win in two days and one night under optimal conditions. It's still fun, but I'm really hoping we can get a bigger game going.

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 20, 2013, 12:08:33 am »

Oh look town won.

Verdict on 7-person real-life mafia.... it's lacking a lot. Both sides can win in two days and one night under optimal conditions. It's still fun, but I'm really hoping we can get a bigger game going.

You could go with one mafia.  That'd be either a really fast or really slow game.

manda2014

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 20, 2013, 12:29:30 am »
+1

Oh look town won.

You could go with one mafia.  That'd be either a really fast or really slow game.

Either way, that sounds like it has a lot of potential to be really boring. Fingers crossed for a 13p game in January

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 20, 2013, 12:41:53 am »
+1

Literally every person is like "omg you're impossible to read omg you're so good at this game I'm so intimidated."

This is really fun. :>

My resistance meta of being a fairly undetectable spy is carrying over, even though I've been town in both games.

manda2014

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 20, 2013, 12:43:39 am »

This is really fun. :>

My resistance meta of being a fairly undetectable spy is carrying over, even though I've been town in both games.

I have half a mind to just engineer the next game to make you mafia.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 20 queries.