Dominion > Dominion Articles

Starting position is less important in 4 player games

(1/1)

ilpars:
In my face to face games we usually play with 4 or 5 players. In my experience starting position is much less important in 4 player games. In fact I am more successful when I start last. As I can see what other players buy and can adopt my strategy accordingly.

Geronimoo:
I'm guessing you play mostly casual games because your statement is very very wrong.

In a competitive game with a clearly dominant strategy you're pretty much dead when starting last. Here's a an example (% = win rate):

Mountebank 1st player : 56%, 2nd player 40% (2 player game)
Mountebank 1st player : 32%, 4th player 17% (4 player game)

There will of course be exceptions where you want to go last, but they will be very very few. Here's an example:

The 3 first players all open with $5 buying Witch. You're last to act and have $5 as well: you should buy a Moat and expect to have the best win% of all 4 players.

guided:
Among equally skilled players, the 4th player is already at a very significant disadvantage. One reason I don't play 5+ players is that the 5th+ player simply can't win barring unskilled opposition or obscenely good luck.

rod-:
The only part about 4+ player games that makes starting position seem to matter less is that you tend to forget what it was by the time the game ends.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version