Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: 2-Player Strategy Game Ideas  (Read 24861 times)

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
Re: 2-Player Strategy Game Ideas
« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2013, 06:27:20 pm »

OOOOOOH
There are more than two types of runs.
My question 1 was because I thought there were only remote server runs and root server runs.  As a result the answer didn't really help until I read that archives backdoor thing you gave.
So you can make a run on either
Root/identity
HQ
Archives
R&D
Remote
Those five?
So does the corp have to set up HQ Ice, archives Ice, root Ice, and R&D Ice separately?  Seems like they go bankrupt trying to protect things before they even set up a remote server.
If the same ice blob is defending HQ, archives, root, and R&D it seems like that backdoor card you linked has little purpose.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2013, 06:33:19 pm »
+3

...Asset, Upgrade, same thing ::).
Asset
$5 Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
Trash a card from your hand. Gain a card costing exactly $1 more than it.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2013, 06:45:18 pm »
+1

OOOOOOH
There are more than two types of runs.
My question 1 was because I thought there were only remote server runs and root server runs.  As a result the answer didn't really help until I read that archives backdoor thing you gave.
So you can make a run on either
Root/identity
HQ
Archives
R&D
Remote
Those five?
So does the corp have to set up HQ Ice, archives Ice, root Ice, and R&D Ice separately?  Seems like they go bankrupt trying to protect things before they even set up a remote server.
If the same ice blob is defending HQ, archives, root, and R&D it seems like that backdoor card you linked has little purpose.

Not quite. Each central server has a "root" which is just physically the area beneath the server (either the identity card, which represents HQ, or R&D, or the Archives pile) where upgrades can be installed. A run on a central server is also a run on its root. Just as you access all cards in a remote server when you run on it, you access all cards installed in the root of a central server in addition to whatever you'd normally access.

The "root" terminology is just to distinguish it from remote servers, where you can install upgrades directly in the server. In central servers, you cannot install assets or agendas, but you can install upgrades in the root.

So when you announce a run, it can be on:

Archives (you access all cards + root, if applicable)
R&D (you access the top card + root, if applicable)
HQ (you access a random card + root, if applicable)
Any remote server (you access all cards in the server)

The corp does have to set up ice on HQ, R&D, and Archives separately. It can be expensive and the runner can exploit this by making less important runs in order to bankrupt the corp before running where they really want to go. Still, the corp is not obligated to rez ice during runs and it is an important skill to know when it is and isn't necessary to rez ice. Plus, some corp players may choose not to protect Archives with ice. This, however, can be exploited with runner cards such as Sneakdoor Beta, which Tables mentioned above.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2013, 10:58:38 pm »

So I guess a lot of strategies put a lot of effort into not discarding Agendas because that would become one more thing you have to protect.

I read all the cards in core, took me a while.  There's both zero credit cards for draw 3 and zero credit cards for +3 credits.  Kind of reminds me of the Black Lotus+Ancestral Recall profitable pairing from base MTG.  Of course that was worse because you at least pay clicks with a +3 cards +3 credits loop.  But improving the efficiency of your click usage seems like a pretty important thing, like increasing your action usage in innovation, so I'm wondering whether one or both of those cards are commonplace in tournament decks, since they had a low influence cost.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 09, 2013, 11:16:06 pm »

So I guess a lot of strategies put a lot of effort into not discarding Agendas because that would become one more thing you have to protect.

Often you'll end up protecting Archives somewhat anyway - some Criminals are still going to run Sneakdoors on you, some runner strategies will mill straight into your archives and frankly, you sometimes need to discard from HQ anyway - might as well tax the runner a little to check what you discarded, even if it wasn't agendas. But other times you can get away with no Archive protection.

I read all the cards in core, took me a while.  There's both zero credit cards for draw 3 and zero credit cards for +3 credits.  Kind of reminds me of the Black Lotus+Ancestral Recall profitable pairing from base MTG.  Of course that was worse because you at least pay clicks with a +3 cards +3 credits loop.

It's very different to Magic. In magic, you can draw 1 card and play 1 land per turn, meaning you slowly build up - and those two become the real bottleneck for doing things fast (which was what made those cards so amazing - you can suddenly do things many turns earlier than you 'should' otherwise). In Netrunner, you can grab credits and draw cards freely, so they're a far less valuable resource. The usual bottleneck in Netrunner is clicks - you can only do so many things on each turn.

Something else to consider with those cards is that there's actually some hidden costs. You need to actually draw the card (typically 1 click) before you play it - so in a way it's 2 clicks for 3 cards or 2 clicks for 3 creds. In reality it's usually cheaper than that but the point is that it's more than a flat 3 for 1 deal.

But improving the efficiency of your click usage seems like a pretty important thing, like increasing your action usage in innovation, so I'm wondering whether one or both of those cards are commonplace in tournament decks, since they had a low influence cost.

Hmm... I don't think they're all that common. Beanstalk Royalties probably sees some play with Weyland's Core identity (+1 cred when playing a transaction), since it's effectively +4 credits which is pretty good. Easy Mark, Diesel and... is there a corp +3 cards? Either way I don't think you see those much. Bear in mind there's a LOT of extra cards in the data packs, and a lot of those enable very different styles of decks. 'tutor' type cards which simply dig for what you need are very common in runner decks, while Corps are less inclined to draw rapidly because they want to draw Agendas when they can actually score them, and not get overwhelmed by them in hand. As for credits, some events see decent play, but often assets or similar will be used for a more efficient source. For the runner, Magum Opus or Professional Contacts are good examples of efficient and commonly used income, while for the runner, good old Melange Mining Corp. is used somewhat often.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 09, 2013, 11:25:41 pm »

In the core set, I only recall 2 cards (Sneakdoor and the Anarch identity, Noise) that let you put direct pressure on Archives, but by now each faction has quite a few reasons to make the corp want to ice up Archives. It's not usually a strict necessity, but it's often important.

I read all the cards in core, took me a while.  There's both zero credit cards for draw 3 and zero credit cards for +3 credits.  Kind of reminds me of the Black Lotus+Ancestral Recall profitable pairing from base MTG.  Of course that was worse because you at least pay clicks with a +3 cards +3 credits loop.  But improving the efficiency of your click usage seems like a pretty important thing, like increasing your action usage in innovation, so I'm wondering whether one or both of those cards are commonplace in tournament decks, since they had a low influence cost.

There's a lot of theorizing and comparing A:NR with Magic in regards to card control. I've never played Magic so I can't weigh in but to make a long story short: Diesel, Beanstalk Royalties, and Easy Mark are strong cards and they're splashed into other factions reasonably often (Easy Mark not so often), but they're far from superstars. The corp equivalent of Diesel, Anonymous Tip, is used even less often and is very rarely seen out of faction, despite its lower influence cost.

PPE: Tables hit most of the highlights. :)

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 09, 2013, 11:34:48 pm »

Yeah actually i could pretty easily get the impression that corps wouldn't want to draw 3 cards nearly as much as the runner.  It sounds like tutors are preferred over draw effects for runners, which makes sense, draw effects and tutor effects are in the same family in a lot of ways, and the tutor effects looked like they were also aggressively costed. 
I was definitely missing it conceptually, it's a cantrip that profits you 1 card, not a cantrip that profits you 2 cards.  For that reason it would make sense for them not to get splashed even if don't cost much influence because cantrippy cards tend to be low impact, little harm little good, no one gets a reverse mortgage so they can buy a Vagrant, etc..

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 09, 2013, 11:37:06 pm »

If diesel is the only one to have a higher influence cost than 1 that makes sense, I don't remember its influence cost.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 09, 2013, 11:39:35 pm »

If diesel is the only one to have a higher influence cost than 1 that makes sense, I don't remember its influence cost.

Yeah Diesel is 2, Anonymous Tip is 1. Diesel is still used and splashed more.

yed

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: yed
  • Respect: +571
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2013, 10:18:47 am »

• Tash-Kalar: Arena of Legends - I really like this!

It is also possible to play it here as forum game.

• Kingdom Builder - also from Donald X who created Dominion
  • Terra Mystica - no luck during game, just skill

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 10, 2013, 10:59:04 am »

How about Coin Age?  Haven't had a chance to play it, but it looks pretty fun, super light (figuratively and literally), cheap and yet still with enough strategy to be entertaining.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 10, 2013, 12:10:03 pm »

So did you get anything yet, shark_bait? Did it work?

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 17, 2013, 10:55:55 am »

So did you get anything yet, shark_bait? Did it work?

Just saw this.  I love you guys.  <3

I put the following games on my list:

GIDPF Project
Mr. Jack
Carcasonne
7 Wonders
Kingdom Builder

I have not found anything out yet.  However I have gotten a couple of different games.  My local board game sale put on a black friday sale with some great sales.  They had stickers on some games that said Buy this game at XX% off and get another game at equal or lesser price for XX% off.  These ranged from 15% to 50%.  I managed to find a $49.99 game for 40% off allowing me to get Stone Age for cheap.  The game with the sticker really isn't the best.  It's Wolsung.  It's an interesting concept but the mechanics seem stale and repetitive.  However Stone Age is pretty sweet in my opinion, especially two-player.  There are a lot of tactics involved.  I'll let you guys know if any of the other games on the list make it into my collection.
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 17, 2013, 11:02:51 am »

SB, I have got to get you to go to the Ann Arbor gaming group nights.  You're in AA now, right?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 17, 2013, 11:10:08 am »

SB, I have got to get you to go to the Ann Arbor gaming group nights.  You're in AA now, right?
I've been to one of those!! I don't know if it's the same one.....

shark_bait

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 17, 2013, 11:44:34 am »

Yeah, I'm in AA.  Go Blue!  :D

PM me the info?  Can't guarantee that I can make it.  Being a grad student who enjoys running and spending time with my fiance makes for things being quite busy.

PM me the info?
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 17, 2013, 12:42:45 pm »
+1

The info is otherwise public, so I'll post it here:  go join the group at aagg@yahoogroups.com

I'm down in Toledo now, so I no longer go to that group, but I'm still in contact with a large number of their members.  They meet twice a month in the evening--usually at Amer's or Pizza House, which I really hope you've been to by now) and one of the members hosts a separate Saturday game day once a month.

The main contact there works for Mayfair, so you'll be able to get in on some beta testing, which is always cool. :)
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 17, 2013, 02:55:56 pm »

BattleCON?

It a "fighting game simulation", It has great replayability (many characters, all play out differently) and needs a solid strategic mind.

yed

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: yed
  • Respect: +571
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 18, 2013, 01:47:20 pm »

The qualifications for these games are as follows:
1.)  I can not have played it ever!
For reference, I have played the following games (list is not exhaustive, it's possible I missed something)
Carcasonne

I put the following games on my list:
Carcasonne

?

shark_bait

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 18, 2013, 02:22:04 pm »

Ha ha, I'm totally eating my own words right now.  I think I gave out two different lists (one of new games and one of games I wanted), can't really remember now.

shark_bait

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 03, 2014, 06:02:07 pm »
+1

So the results are in!  After a wonderful Christmas break with both my family and my fiances family a few new board games have been added to the Collection.  We have both Kingdom Builder and Go.  Go fits the bill as a pure strategy game and I like it.  It seems like there is a lot of strategy that I can't grasp quite yet but it certainly is fun.  Kingdom Builder has been great the couple of times I've played it already.  Not quite as strategically deep as Dominion, but certainly another great game by Donald.

Trogdor the Burninator

• Golem
  • Respect: +76
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 26, 2014, 11:35:49 am »

If no one has recommended them yet, Agricola and Puerto Rico are great strategy games.
Puerto Rico happens to be only good with at least 3 players though but it's still a really good game
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 11:46:08 am by Trogdor the Burninator »
Dominion.games username: Jolinar of Malkshur

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHF_bIjIPAE

(I did not create the Trogdor the Burninator song nor am I associated with its producers in any way.  I just think it sounds cool. :P)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #72 on: March 26, 2014, 01:56:11 pm »

Puerto Rico happens to be only good with at least 3 players though but it's still a really good game
It's still a good game with two players, not as good as it would be with 3+ players though.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 26, 2014, 03:33:51 pm »

It's still a good game with two players, not as good as it would be with 3+ players though.

However, San Juan, with the same theme, but which was a precursor to RFTG, is better with two.

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 26, 2014, 05:28:41 pm »

I'm not a big fan of PR with 2 or 3 for that matter. It's fine, but there's much better. It's great with 4 or 5 though.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 2.143 seconds with 20 queries.