Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Dominion: Endless Mode  (Read 4007 times)

manthos88

• Bishop
  • Respect: +43
    • View Profile
Dominion: Endless Mode
« on: November 02, 2013, 10:13:58 pm »
+4

I have thought of this Variant a long time ago and i didn't really think that it would make an impact if posted it, until i actually saw this section on the Forum...

So, my Variant is, as i call it, the Endless Mode.

In this mode, all supply piles are countless. You can buy/gain as many cards as you want from a supply pile, without it ever ending. There will be neither Province/Colony ending, nor three-pile ending. The game will only end after a specific amount of turns that will be specified by the creator of the game, before it begins.

This mode, of course, can only exist in Virtual Dominion and cannot be played with real cards.

I would like to state that i would be very happy to see variants like this one in Goko...

- Why would i want such a game mode to exist?

1) Because, in a given kingdom, you can take your time to set up the best strategy (that you believe it is) without being afraid that the cards you want will be piled out.

2) It gives a better chance for "late-game" decks to shine.

3) Alt-VP cards can rack-up TONS of points.

4) New factors will be needed to be taken into account (which can make the game more fun):
   a) Now you can clog your Deck too much because of the Provinces/Colonies.
   b) Cursing attacks will never stop attacking.
   c) New levels will be brought to mega-turn strategies: You will now probably have to buy 20-30 Provinces/Colonies within a few turns.

... and there probably a lot more things that change the game in this mode, but these are a few i can easily think of...

Hope you liked it guys... :D
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 10:20:44 pm by manthos88 »
Just give me a mega-turn engine and take my soul...

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion: Endless Mode
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 10:18:35 pm »

It's an interesting idea, too bad you can't play it irl.  I was thinking about how horrible it would be for Curses to never run out, but the games wouldn't drag on too long because the game would end.  Different amount of turns would change, so it's a whole new variable to be added when thinking of strategies.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 04:37:44 am »
+1

If you're playing with mathematicians, why make the game end? Play Actually Endless Dominion where you each play for ω0 turns and see who has the most points after that. (Oh, I have ℵ0 points, you have ℵ0 points, it's a draw?) Rather you can play Asymptotic Dominion where you just have to be beating your opponent in the long run.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 04:42:50 am by Warfreak2 »
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 05:27:07 am »

Fool's Gold would be extremely powerful.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 08:27:50 am »
+13

In this version, Celestial Chameleon requires 7 turns to empty the supply.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 08:34:57 am »
+1

I know that this is a joke, since the supply can't be emptied, but it is at least theoretically possible to buy each card in the supply by a specific turn (that turn would just never end).  I'm not sure if you could do this with Dominion cards.
Well you *do* need a signature...

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1184
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2013, 09:52:34 am »

I know that this is a joke, since the supply can't be emptied, but it is at least theoretically possible to buy each card in the supply by a specific turn (that turn would just never end).  I'm not sure if you could do this with Dominion cards.
King's Court + Armory + Cultist + Watchtower + Highway can work, I think.

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2013, 10:05:47 am »

While we're at it, why not have more than ℵ0 cards in each pile and more than ω0 turns? If turns can be infinitely long, infinitely many cards can be played on them (and entire infinite stacks can be gained in a single turn, e.g. three Highways then perpetual KC/KC/Armory/Armory/Lab), and why limit the number of cards played each turn to ω0, if you still have cards left in your hand and actions remaining?
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1384
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2013, 10:44:39 am »
+2

Ah, the ultimate rule setup for a Kingsgoonsquerade deck.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2013, 10:49:16 am »
+2

While we're at it, why not have more than ℵ0 cards in each pile and more than ω0 turns? If turns can be infinitely long, infinitely many cards can be played on them (and entire infinite stacks can be gained in a single turn, e.g. three Highways then perpetual KC/KC/Armory/Armory/Lab), and why limit the number of cards played each turn to ω0, if you still have cards left in your hand and actions remaining?

This reminds me that I need to be more careful when I say that gaining every card is possible -- this assumes that the ordinal of each ordered pile is ω.  Even if I stipulate that the number of cards is countable, it is important the the ordinal is not, say, ω+1.
Well you *do* need a signature...

Minotaur

• Margrave
  • Respect: +3961
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2013, 12:23:32 pm »

If you're playing with mathematicians, why make the game end? Play Actually Endless Dominion where you each play for ω0 turns and see who has the most points after that. (Oh, I have ℵ0 points, you have ℵ0 points, it's a draw?) Rather you can play Asymptotic Dominion where you just have to be beating your opponent in the long run.

Asymptotic Dominion... Each player specifies a strategy in advance. Each player is awarded a number of wins equal to the expected value of the limsup_t of the proportion of the time that player is in the lead over the course of t turns...

If both players scores 1 win, gain a Theorem from the supply at the start of your next game. Whatever that does.
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2013, 02:34:04 pm »

If both players scores 1 win, gain a Theorem from the supply at the start of your next game. Whatever that does.

Theorem is like theory, but better.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2131
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2013, 03:45:21 pm »

King's Court + Armory + Cultist + Watchtower + Highway can work, I think.

There are chains like King's Court, Ironworks, Smithy after 3 Highways that can be done indefinitely. Not sure if you meant this with your wording, but the real challenge is; does there exist a kingdom where every card in the kingdom (including the base cards) can be gained in such a cycle? The ratios could be awful, but as long as the cycle is infinitely repeatable you succeed. You could do that cycle, and replace Smithy with Torturer, Nobles, Rabble, Margrave, Catacombs and Journeyman at each go around, but where would you gain the Highways, Treasures, Victory Cards and Curses.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2013, 03:46:45 pm »

Actually, the end the game by turn 3 solution would work.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 20 queries.