Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Most annoying card interface?  (Read 5498 times)

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
Most annoying card interface?
« on: November 02, 2013, 12:13:18 am »
+2

For me it's got to be Urchin. Combining King's Court and Urchin is strategically reasonable (since KC+cantrip provides some mild drawing power) but so much clicking.

Edit: The last KC-Urchin play in http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20131101/log.5066a4d70cf20e086dc89e71.1383365232705.txt took 24 clicks to resolve. Yikes.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 12:14:24 am by blueblimp »

jaybeez

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: jaybeez
  • Respect: +395
    • View Profile
Re: Most annoying card interface?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 03:57:44 am »
+9

Well, there's so many to choose from...

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 04:20:00 am »
+4

Navigator.  I discard the five cards every time.  I even remember I need to drag the cards over to left hand side to put them on my deck—but then it decides I must have meant the discard pile instead.

Destierro

• Bishop
  • Respect: +49
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 08:19:54 am »
+10

It's gotta be hamlet. The amount of times I've discarded a smithy-variant for +buy on accident is just painful.

terminalCopper

• Explorer
  • Respect: +758
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2013, 09:33:18 am »

The amount of times I've discarded a smithy-variant for +buy on accident is just painful.
Same here. Another candidate is Masquerade, I once trashed a goons and two wandering ministrels in a single game (unvoluntarily). There should be a window popping up which asks "are you sure?", e.g. when the card costs more than 2$.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2013, 01:14:24 am »
+7

The interface that would be easiest to improve is Watchtower's reaction. How hard would it be to include buttons for "Trash" and "Top of Deck"? Instead they make you drag the card to its destination.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2013, 06:01:50 pm »

The amount of times I've discarded a smithy-variant for +buy on accident is just painful.
Same here. Another candidate is Masquerade, I once trashed a goons and two wandering ministrels in a single game (unvoluntarily). There should be a window popping up which asks "are you sure?", e.g. when the card costs more than 2$.
Or Jack of All Trades. It's made worse because there's a good chance the only cards that are highlighted are ones you could play, and you have to pay attention to the colour of the highlight.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2013, 06:03:33 pm »
+1

Storeroom!!! Gets me every time on the second discard--I wanted to play that Goons, not discard it for $1.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2013, 06:07:28 pm »

I just got out of a game where I trashed King's Court and Highway to Masquerade, so... I'm gonna say Masquerade.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2013, 06:36:17 pm »

Urchin is really bad. Cards like cartographer always mess me up because I get the wrong stage and discard instead of ordering. In fact everywhere in the game when you can discard/trash/play annoys me since the cursor doesn't change to show the current action. Possession deserves a mention too. Any time where you reveal your hand to your opponent and the cards jump about the screen is bad too (an elegant graphic would be so much better)

Scheme is the worst card to see your opponent play (I'm talking about you warlord bot). It's pretty bad to play yourself as well if you have many cards in play, and I guess it is both annoying and wrong when paired with treasuries or alchemists.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2013, 06:52:25 pm »

Or, yeah, any re-ordering card, especially in conjunction with like Herald. Apothecary may be the worst offender here, because getting it wrong is crippling. It's just... so... not intuitive. It's still not intuitive, after doing it that way for months now.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

WrathOfGlod

• Navigator
  • Respect: +23
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2013, 09:21:05 pm »
+5

Its got to be graverobber/rogue + knights. There is no more fun part of Dominion then memorizing what the leftmost inch of each card looks like.

matste

• Scout
  • Respect: +67
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2013, 07:26:33 am »
+1

I agree that Cartographer is the most annoying card. I always mentally add this additional description: "When you buy it, you will randomly lose at least one good turn, Murphy's law applied".
Also, overpaying for Stonemason can be tricky. Suppose you have 4$ and a Potion. You click "Overpay $" twice, the buttons change position and you click "Done overpaying" instead of "overpay potion". You end up with 3 Stonemasons, not 2 Scrying Pools. It's instant ragequit for me.

Mischief

• Swindler
  • Respect: +23
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2013, 03:53:58 am »
+3

After a recent, frustrating game, I contend that the objective answer is Scheme.  Even when you're fully aware, paying complete attention to the game and interface, clicking nothing by accident, Scheme can still get ya.

What's the problem with Scheme, you ask?  Well nothing, most of the time.

But the moment you lay out 20+ cards, Scheme becomes it own little minigame.  The play area doesn't ever categorize and stack identical cards like your hand does.  When you end your turn, you're stuck squinting at the left edge - most of which is the black/brown border - of every copy of every card you just played.  Sometimes you get lucky and the color schemes contrast starkly.  Other times that hunting grounds you desperately need ends up just being your forgotten 5-2 vagrant.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 03:55:14 am by Mischief »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2013, 04:08:47 am »

After a recent, frustrating game, I contend that the objective answer is Scheme.  Even when you're fully aware, paying complete attention to the game and interface, clicking nothing by accident, Scheme can still get ya.

What's the problem with Scheme, you ask?  Well nothing, most of the time.

But the moment you lay out 20+ cards, Scheme becomes it own little minigame.  The play area doesn't ever categorize and stack identical cards like your hand does.  When you end your turn, you're stuck squinting at the left edge - most of which is the black/brown border - of every copy of every card you just played.  Sometimes you get lucky and the color schemes contrast starkly.  Other times that hunting grounds you desperately need ends up just being your forgotten 5-2 vagrant.
Now that you mention it, I've got to agree. You would think that you can just drag the cards and drop them back to the play area when you see you're dragging the wrong card, but you can't even do that.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

flies

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: flies
  • Statistical mechanics of hard rods on a 1D lattice
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2013, 12:27:37 pm »

A similar problem applies to rogue and grave robber with a full trash, which is funny bc when you just look at the trash it gets paginated.  I suspect that clicking and dragging may show you what card you're looking at, but I haven't had a chance to try this out.
Gotta be efficient when most of your hand coordination is spent trying to apply mascara to your beard.
flies Dominionates on youtube

Julle

• Bishop
  • Respect: +572
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2013, 06:32:10 am »
+2

Or Jack of All Trades. It's made worse because there's a good chance the only cards that are highlighted are ones you could play, and you have to pay attention to the colour of the highlight.
After I did that few times I thought: "This time I'll make sure to click 'done trashing' before anything else". However, it turned out that I had only treasures in hand, so I end up clicking "End turn" instead and wasted my 9$ hand.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2013, 02:22:42 pm »

After I did that few times I thought: "This time I'll make sure to click 'done trashing' before anything else". However, it turned out that I had only treasures in hand, so I end up clicking "End turn" instead and wasted my 9$ hand.

I do this a lot with Plaza for some reason...
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 22 queries.