Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 70  All

Author Topic: Mafia XXXV: Mafia and the Chocolate Factory (Game Over, Mafia Wins!)  (Read 167643 times)

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia XXXV: Mafia and the Chocolate Factory (Day2)
« Reply #1025 on: December 09, 2013, 01:47:44 am »

What no what everyone be nice kickball.

Drunk AMA?
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: December 09, 2013, 01:52:28 am »

What no what everyone be nice kickball.

Drunk AMA?

Sure. I already revealed all (photographicaly) elsewhere.

Unless talking about ongoing threads is FORBIDDEN

but I do have work tomorrow.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: December 09, 2013, 01:54:44 am »

Are you not not not town?
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: December 09, 2013, 01:55:47 am »

Are you not not not town?

No! I think. I'm town! Your turn. This is fun!

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: December 09, 2013, 05:14:53 am »

Everyone saying Jimm vs Ash is so definitely town vs town is not a sentiment I share. I think it is equally plausible that the argument was scum/town, town/town, town/scum. I mean just that it fits for town and scum ash and jimm to have acted that way toward eachother.

So if one of Walrus or 2.7 is scum I think one of ash/jimm is likely to be scum.

Also I still think vote: walrus is probably scum.

You know, for awhile now I've been thinking that, when someone makes these statements (see bolded) but leaves out the "scum/scum" possibility, they are actually scum.  They know that both of the players arguing are town, and they would like the lynch to fall on one of the two, so they make these sorts of "well it could be scum/town, town/scum..." sorts of statements, but they forget to say "scum/scum" because they are scum and they don't want to push it.  Just a thought.

This is a quite good observation. mcmc, why did you leave out the scum/scum option?
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: December 09, 2013, 06:59:03 am »

This game may need a little push, so I'm just throwing my current suspicions out there:

e - suspicious for not dying tonight. Also seems very eager to sheep the IC.

manda - LAL. Her Jorbles vote from D1 is scummy. Also wants to play "sheep the IC".

ashersky - being on all three D1 wagons is scummy, especially when two of them are confirmed town. Wants to lynch off-wagon, which means not lynching him, so it's a self-preservation tactic in disguise.

mcmc - mostly what ashersky pointed out, leaving out the scum/scum option. Also was on the e and the Morgrim wagon, and has done nothing so far to convince me of his townieness.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: December 09, 2013, 07:51:07 am »

Is there a reason the player list is spoilered?  ???

Probably for future reading?  It was the norm back in the beginning of f.ds mafia.

Oh, yes, this was the reason.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: December 09, 2013, 11:37:36 am »

This game may need a little push, so I'm just throwing my current suspicions out there:

What do you think about the way e behaved prior to his claim? That's one of the biggest reasons I think e is town. I just don't see scum doing that.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: December 09, 2013, 11:43:16 am »

What do you think about the way e behaved prior to his claim? That's one of the biggest reasons I think e is town. I just don't see scum doing that.

What exactly about his play is it that makes you think e is town?

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: December 09, 2013, 11:47:36 am »

Ok so, Walrus reread.

Walrus's playstyle is interesting. I think 1 substantial post a day is ok as town, but it also seems like a playstyle that would be very accomodating to replicate as scum. That's also more or less what he was doing in GoT though.

However :

Sorry for my absence; based on the activity level in here though it looks to be a common state of affairs. I did want to get something down though.
OK, so time for my daily post, and I've got two pages about claiming to work with.
Alright, let me post something. I spent rather more time yesterday in the Detroit International Airport than I would have preferred. So I'm feeling a little burned out.

So I realized that I hadn't posted much about Jimmmmm

To me, it looks like Walrus is forcing himself to post, and even specifically being wary of not having given reads on everyone (the comment about Jimmmm). Basically it looks like he wants to be very consistent about his posting habits, and I have to ask : why would you care if you're town ? Shouldn't you just post whenever you have something to say ? That doesn't mean you should post six hundred times a day (I certainly don't), but I think I'm getting what ash was saying about Walrus' posts feeling "forced" on the reread. I looked back at his GoT posts, and they didn't have that kind of slight awkwardness at all. So this could be Walrus figuring out that his meta will let him get away with posting about once a day, as long as he makes sure that these posts seem substantial. The third quote is the most relevant here I think, as it shows he wants to make sure to appear balanced in his reads, which is definitely scummy in my eyes.

Interestingly, this changes when he's put under some pressure by ash. His posts are shorter, snappier. Now this is a pretty normal reaction I think, but it contrasts a lot with his posts before that, which is interesting. This is not what happened in GoT. Granted, we mislynched him there, so he could have decided he had to defend himself more to survive.

Now that I think of it, this was pretty much ash's case against him day 1 I think. Not sure why I didn't see it then. Sorry ash !

Then we get to day 2 and we have this of course :

I'm not sure. Well naturally my personal inclination is that scum would more likely be on, because I was off wagon. In fact I made a point of saying that I felt like we were heading towards a mislynch. My egocentric concern is that scum will use that fact to accuse me of defending "known" town to win towncred, to butter me up for a mislynch. Especially because I also opposed the Morgrim lynch, which was a mislynch for reals. But that could be improbable and self-centered. I'm not sure if anyone else came out as strongly against the wagon as I did...I remember Jimmmmm saying it was "interesting" how quickly the focus of the wagon had shifted.
vote: ashersky

Tell me I didn't just call that.
I think it's amazing that I was able to predict it so accurately. As soon as I saw the NK that's what my brain screamed at me. You know, I didn't know if I should post it to be honest, because I felt like it would just look weird and paranoid. But I am of the mind that it's better to post your thoughts even if they're kind of crazy.

And I'm glad I did. Not so crazy at all.

I don't really have anything new to say here, mcmc summed it up pretty well. Pointing out the way people might attack you is very scummy to me. You could do something scummy and immediately call attention on its scumminess to discredit future attacks on you, or you could, as Walrus does here, realize you might seem scummy in light of a flip and take preemptive measures. This could very well have been discussed in a scum QT during night 1 (or early day 2 for that matter).

His misread of ash's post seems like wishful thinking then, hoping that ash didn't see his post in PPE and that he'll be able to go after him easily.

Now I included the third post because others find it scummy, but it is actually pretty null for me. Walrus did seem very happy with himself when EFHW turned out to be town in GoT, so I think he just tends to do that.

In any case, this is more than enough for me to vote: Walrus .
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #1035 on: December 09, 2013, 11:50:53 am »

What exactly about his play is it that makes you think e is town?

He was posting statements that sound extremely scummy but have town logic behind them. This is extremely common among new(ish) players, I've noticed, and it's part of why they frequently get mislynched. The best examples come from an ongoing game unfortunately.

Take for example all his D1 passes, and his post-spammy way he went about giving/explaining them. I just don't see why scum goes about things that way - wouldn't they be more "careful"?

Though I could be biased because I do D1 passes too I suppose.

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: mcmcsalot
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: December 09, 2013, 01:54:35 pm »

Everyone saying Jimm vs Ash is so definitely town vs town is not a sentiment I share. I think it is equally plausible that the argument was scum/town, town/town, town/scum. I mean just that it fits for town and scum ash and jimm to have acted that way toward eachother.

So if one of Walrus or 2.7 is scum I think one of ash/jimm is likely to be scum.

You know, for awhile now I've been thinking that, when someone makes these statements (see bolded) but leaves out the "scum/scum" possibility, they are actually scum.  They know that both of the players arguing are town, and they would like the lynch to fall on one of the two, so they make these sorts of "well it could be scum/town, town/scum..." sorts of statements, but they forget to say "scum/scum" because they are scum and they don't want to push it.  Just a thought.

This is a quite good observation. mcmc, why did you leave out the scum/scum option?

I guess it is because I feel like it would make no sense for them both to be scum. I do not by any means think it meanse they ouldn't be scum together. I jut doubt it.
Wins: M19, M21, M23, M24, M26, M39, M91, M94, M102, M104, M107, M114, M115
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113
Winrate: 38.2%(13/34) 29.6%(8/27), 71.4%(5/7)

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: December 09, 2013, 03:08:18 pm »

I guess it is because I feel like it would make no sense for them both to be scum. I do not by any means think it meanse they ouldn't be scum together. I jut doubt it.

I for one find it far more of a scum-tell when people say that arguments are likely scum/town, as most arguments are certainly town/town. So null tell here on mcmc because of it, because in this situation, I could definitely see either Jimmmmm or ash being scum.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: December 09, 2013, 03:18:48 pm »

I am caught up! I'll post my full thoughts when I get a chance but... I lean town on ash, heavily on Voltaire. Town still on 2.7. Walrus and Jim most likely scum to me. Teproc and mcmc are my big unknowns
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: December 09, 2013, 03:43:56 pm »

I am caught up! I'll post my full thoughts when I get a chance but... I lean town on ash, heavily on Voltaire. Town still on 2.7. Walrus and Jim most likely scum to me. Teproc and mcmc are my big unknowns

Curious for your takes on Teproc and Jimmmmm particularly. What about manda?

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: December 09, 2013, 03:53:29 pm »

Sorry still in phone. I'm assuming manda is town for now.

I think there is a very compelling case against Jim, which I will post when I get a chance.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: December 09, 2013, 06:40:04 pm »

Okay I have to post while it's still fresh in my mind.

Jimm, I really think is scum.

First off, this is a level of activity I've never seen from Jimm, or least not in recent memory. Jimm is usually town, he usually is pleasant, psuedo-lurking. He's very active here, and this questioning strategy, I've never seen from him. I've been on him since the beginning because of our exchange over me being considered an IC.

And... what was the rest of it... well, I think ash is town. As always. I think Jimm had a better argument there, and kept driving it home to score easy "win points" if that makes any sense.

Let's see, Jimm keeps trying to draw the circle wider (Teproc is too, by the way).

Oh! And yeah, his stance on the Morgrim thing raised major red flags. Seemed like a likely stance scum would have.

Vote: Jimm and I feel pretty good about it.

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: December 09, 2013, 07:40:11 pm »

Okay I have to post while it's still fresh in my mind.

Jimm, I really think is scum.

First off, this is a level of activity I've never seen from Jimm, or least not in recent memory. Jimm is usually town, he usually is pleasant, psuedo-lurking. He's very active here, and this questioning strategy, I've never seen from him. I've been on him since the beginning because of our exchange over me being considered an IC.

And... what was the rest of it... well, I think ash is town. As always. I think Jimm had a better argument there, and kept driving it home to score easy "win points" if that makes any sense.

Let's see, Jimm keeps trying to draw the circle wider (Teproc is too, by the way).

Oh! And yeah, his stance on the Morgrim thing raised major red flags. Seemed like a likely stance scum would have.

Vote: Jimm and I feel pretty good about it.

This I agree with as well as the most recent interaction between ash and jimm in which jimm awkwardly pushed ash about wanting to "sweep things under the rug" which to me looked like jimm trying to make ash look scummy for something null.

vote: Jimm
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: December 09, 2013, 07:57:25 pm »

Vote Count 2.4

ashersky (1): Jimmmmm
Walrus (2): Voltaire, Teproc
Jimmmmm (2): Robz, mcmc

Not Voting (5): faust, ashersky, Walrus, manda, 2.7

With 10 alive it takes 6 to lynch.
Day2 will end December 15 at 6:00 pm forum time.

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: December 09, 2013, 08:21:00 pm »

Let me say I still think walrus is more likely scum. But will vote for either, walrus just wasn't getting anywhere.

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: December 09, 2013, 08:23:33 pm »

I was kind of waiting around for robz to respond before going on, and now that he has I am doing a reread and will post some more thoughts tonight or tomorrow at latest. We have about six days still, but I think there is a lot that still needs to be covered. Hopefully this will be a more lively week after a dead weekend.
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: December 09, 2013, 10:03:27 pm »

Some other reads...

I do think Walrus could very well be scum, but don't have like a really good reason to think so, if that makes any sense.

I really actually believe 2.7's claim. I think not shooting the IC so as to leave 2.7 alive so as to make us wonder about him is a very cute and likely thing for scum to do.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: December 09, 2013, 11:01:01 pm »

Now I am available to talk and everyone is gone!

manda2014

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: December 09, 2013, 11:02:26 pm »

I'm here for a REALLY QUICK read and post before I disappear back into the finals void....

manda2014

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: December 09, 2013, 11:29:22 pm »

This is a really good and interesting point. Obviously, if those three combinations are possible, then the fourth is also possible while the person stating it is town. Not enough to make me throw out a vote yet, certainly, but it's interesting...
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 70  All

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 20 queries.