Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 70  All

Author Topic: Mafia XXXV: Mafia and the Chocolate Factory (Game Over, Mafia Wins!)  (Read 169350 times)

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia XXXV: Mafia and the Chocolate Factory (Day1)
« Reply #325 on: November 26, 2013, 02:51:28 pm »

one more thing about fakeclaiming:
If scum want to fakeclaim, they want as few real town PRs to exist as possible, but make us think that a lot of them exist.  More actual town PRs=More chance of a real claim on top of the fake claim.  So if you are thinking that scum have an eventual fakeclaim strategy, you should bring into question those people who thought scum should not take any PRs.

I think you've got that reversed, and that's why faust FoSed people who suggested that mafia took 3 power roles.

I might be misunderstanding : you're saying that if scum wanted to fakeclaim, they would have gone for 0 powers so that they've got a lesser chance to be counterclaimed right ? But they want us to believe there are a lot of PRs so that their claims might be credible.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: November 26, 2013, 03:07:06 pm »

one more thing about fakeclaiming:
If scum want to fakeclaim, they want as few real town PRs to exist as possible, but make us think that a lot of them exist.  More actual town PRs=More chance of a real claim on top of the fake claim.  So if you are thinking that scum have an eventual fakeclaim strategy, you should bring into question those people who thought scum should not take any PRs.

I think you've got that reversed, and that's why faust FoSed people who suggested that mafia took 3 power roles.

I might be misunderstanding : you're saying that if scum wanted to fakeclaim, they would have gone for 0 powers so that they've got a lesser chance to be counterclaimed right ? But they want us to believe there are a lot of PRs so that their claims might be credible.

If scum had a fakeclaim plan:
1) They want town to think they have a lot of power roles (increase their credibility)
2) They do not actually want any power roles (decrease counterclaim possibility)

I think you are right that I am a little backwards.  Actually, I was thinking scum would be honest about their choices of PRs (for some reason) and would thus put down option 2.  However, who ever knew scum to be honest, so they would put down option 1.  Or they would put both down at once....Ashersky.  (remember, any suspicion about this comes with the premise that scum are coming to the game with a fakeclaiming strategy, which I reject)
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: November 26, 2013, 03:11:20 pm »

e, theory discussion aside, what are your reads so far?
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: November 26, 2013, 03:33:14 pm »

e, theory discussion aside, what are your reads so far?
I lean town on Robz and Ashersky.
I am not sure how I feel about mcmc coming out against Teproc because of "pushing the robz wagon" because I don't really see Teproc doing a whole bunch there.
Also, not a huge fan of the mcmc "non-RVS" Jimmmm vote

So maybe a very slight scum!mcmc because of 2 serious (!?) votes early in the first day.  That could easily fit into some meta that I don't know, but I don't really like it.

Not a whole lot on anyone else, but I didn't really do a great reread here.
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

manda2014

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: November 27, 2013, 02:00:52 am »

Well, I'm finally here after what seems like 4 lifetimes of driving. Time for a reread.

manda2014

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: November 27, 2013, 02:12:57 am »

Also, gonna be mostly V/LA except for occasional chances to grab some internet until sometime Sunday.

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
  • An enormous walrus the size of Antarctica
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: November 27, 2013, 02:22:22 am »

OK, so time for my daily post, and I've got two pages about claiming to work with.

Not ideal! This is not really a conversation we need to be having right now and I think you know it. I do appreciate the sentiment behind faust's post, and he does bring up some good points. It was certainly a good way to kick off the day and get the dialogue flowing. But I think it got a little excessive. Just like soft deadlines--we don't need to spend 8 pages quibbling about the particulars of soft deadlines!! :P

Jorbles gets some town points from me for recognizing that as well.

mcmc is a bit of an enigma to me but seems townier on a reread.

Teproc...not so sure. His posts are less voluminous than I expected, but I don't see anything particularly scummy in them. Let's call it a null right now.

Voltaire still strikes me as townish.

But e seems scummish. I know I said I was going to wait until the end of Toy Story. But that could be ages from now. Despite being relatively active, he has done very little besides comment on the setup and now this claiming idea. A great way to generate presence without actually making any implicating statements on record. He was just called out on it now and had a couple vague things to say.

I'll vote: 1 + 1 + 1/2 + 1/6 + 1/24 + 1/120...
My Dominion videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WalrusMcFishSr   <---Bet you can't click on that!

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: November 27, 2013, 03:02:10 am »

Wow, leave here for a couple days and the world goes to parts. Wow.

As for the Robz scenario, I do indeed think he's scummy enough to vote. Then again, this is super early in the game and I'm not sure that actually lynching him is such a great idea yet. Yet. Hey, wanna know something annoying? My "G" key is stuck and is hard to press. It's so frustrating.

Now "the list". First off, I'm not quite sure how this helps the town. In fact, it seems pretty pro scum. So, I think I'll refrain from putting my suggestions out...

Voltaire voted for me. I believe this is the first game we have played together Voltaire? Mmm. Good choice. Would you care for an apple?

Fake claiming. Huh. Well, every time a scum claims town its a fakeclaim, correct? And were all town, right? Good.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: November 27, 2013, 09:50:37 am »

Vote Count 1.5

Robz (2): Teproc, Jorbles
Jimmmmm (1): ashersky
Morgrim (1): Voltaire
Voltaire (1): Robz
Teproc (1): mcmc
2.7 (1): Walrus

Not Voting (5): faust, Morgrim, manda, 2.7, Jimmmmm

Day1 will end in 12 days (10+2 for Thanksgiving) on December 4 at 10 pm forum time

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: November 27, 2013, 10:32:15 am »

Voltaire voted for me. I believe this is the first game we have played together Voltaire? Mmm. Good choice. Would you care for an apple?

I'm not sure about that - we may have been in an RMM game a very long time ago. What kind of apple is it?

Walrus's most recent post reads pretty town (unlike when Robz said pretty much the same thing), because Walrus actually put actions behind his words. I know this gets under Robz's skin but it's true in my opinion.

ashersky has been far, far more in the background that I would expect. He hasn't really even replied to faust's plan, which he claims would be his plan. vote: ashersky

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: mcmcsalot
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: November 27, 2013, 12:46:06 pm »

I'm not sure about that - we may have been in an RMM game a very long time ago. What kind of apple is it?

Walrus's most recent post reads pretty town (unlike when Robz said pretty much the same thing), because Walrus actually put actions behind his words. I know this gets under Robz's skin but it's true in my opinion.

ashersky has been far, far more in the background that I would expect. He hasn't really even replied to faust's plan, which he claims would be his plan. vote: ashersky

I agree, not that he hasn't given an answer but he hasn't gone anywhere with the discussion created from the plan. If he did indeed have a similar plan he should have some thoughts on the aftermath. It would also be very unlike ashersky for he plan to simply creat theory discussion so it can't be he feels all necessary discussion has been made.

vote: ashersky
Wins: M19, M21, M23, M24, M26, M39, M91, M94, M102, M104, M107, M114, M115
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113
Winrate: 38.2%(13/34) 29.6%(8/27), 71.4%(5/7)

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: November 27, 2013, 12:51:58 pm »

Just did a reread of the thread. Reads :

Voltaire : Town. Very active, reminds me of his play in GoT.

Jorbles : Town. I had a town read on him before he defended me FWIW, but we were already agreeing on Robz, so that might be it. He hasn't be super active, but when he has he's been scumhunting and constructive.

Walrus : Town. Again, not very active but when he posts it's constructive and goes in the right direction.

manda: Slight town. Not a lot of posts but that's explained by RL reasons and she/he (?). She resisted the idea of a day 1 newbie pass, which I agree with, so that's where the slight town comes from

mcmsalot: Null. His vote on me seemed a little weird to me (mostly because I don't think pushing for a wagon is inherently scummy), but I can't say I find it scummy either, so...

2.7: Null. Not a lot of posts until recently, some content there but not enough for me to form a read at this point.

Morgrim : Slight scum. He only has one post, but the whole "hey, we're all town here !" is just... weird. Then again, he is known for a weird playstyle.

Jimmmmm: Slight scum. Very active early on, has been V/LA lately. Not a lot of content in his early posts, accuses Robz then says it wasn't entirely serious. We need people to be accountable for their votes, so I find that kind of attitude scummy.

ashersky: Scummy. Rereading I see why Voltaire is voting for him. If I understand his meta correctly, everyone always expects him to have a plan, and here he kind of tries to get out of it by claiming faust "stole" his plan. Not a huge fan of this.

Robz: Scum. Asking for town points for a weak reason and then maing fun of Jimmmmm for calling him out on it. Again, accountability is important, so anyone who tries to say that his scummy post was just a joke is scummy in my eyes. Got a little pressure and then disappeared, which seems like a good way to let people move on to other wagons.

PPE : haven't read mcmsalot's post.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: November 27, 2013, 01:05:51 pm »

I think my initial thing with Jimm is still the most indicting thing that has happened yet. And I feel like he has been hiding since so it gets forgotten. Vote: Jimm
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: November 27, 2013, 01:06:29 pm »

I agree with Voltaire and mcmcsalot that ashersky feels a little off to me, but I am confident-ish in my ash reads and would prefer to give that more time.

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: November 27, 2013, 01:08:38 pm »

I think my initial thing with Jimm is still the most indicting thing that has happened yet. And I feel like he has been hiding since so it gets forgotten. Vote: Jimm

Isn't he V/LA ? I almost typed that in my reads but I think he's on a trip so that explains his recent absence.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: November 27, 2013, 01:09:26 pm »

Yeah maybe.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: November 27, 2013, 01:09:38 pm »

Oh yeah, he is. Well, eh, fine.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: November 27, 2013, 01:17:06 pm »

I agree with Voltaire and mcmcsalot that ashersky feels a little off to me, but I am confident-ish in my ash reads and would prefer to give that more time.

Ash does feel a little off to me, but I can't quite put my finger on why. Can anyone explain why?

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: November 27, 2013, 01:19:07 pm »

Ash does feel a little off to me, but I can't quite put my finger on why. Can anyone explain why?

I had a reason but I don't remember what it was.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: November 27, 2013, 01:22:46 pm »

I have some research(mafia related) to do when I get back from class and will post thoughts about it.

Why the morgrim vote Voltaire?

mcmc, I think you never shared the result of this research. What was it about?
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: November 27, 2013, 01:24:35 pm »

I think it was mcmc who put it best. I'm used to ash with a brash plan. Instead he said the IC's plan was his (or close enough to it) and I can't remember anything he's done since then.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: November 27, 2013, 01:30:51 pm »

But e seems scummish. I know I said I was going to wait until the end of Toy Story. But that could be ages from now. Despite being relatively active, he has done very little besides comment on the setup and now this claiming idea. A great way to generate presence without actually making any implicating statements on record. He was just called out on it now and had a couple vague things to say.

I'll vote: 1 + 1 + 1/2 + 1/6 + 1/24 + 1/120...

I can't really form a read on e until an ongoing game ends. He's auto-off my lynch list until then (call it TBD).

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: November 27, 2013, 01:49:16 pm »

I think it was mcmc who put it best. I'm used to ash with a brash plan. Instead he said the IC's plan was his (or close enough to it) and I can't remember anything he's done since then.

Yeah, I've never seen ash with a small presence like this d1, scum or town. I've never seen someone beat him to explaining a plan though. So I guess it's a nullread.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: November 27, 2013, 01:50:57 pm »

Yeah, I've never seen ash with a small presence like this d1, scum or town. I've never seen someone beat him to explaining a plan though. So I guess it's a nullread.

Then it must be on purpose.

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: November 27, 2013, 01:54:07 pm »

Then it must be on purpose.

That's a little cryptic. Do you think ash, as scum, would purposefully be less active ?
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 70  All

Page created in 0.217 seconds with 20 queries.