Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 70  All

Author Topic: Mafia XXXV: Mafia and the Chocolate Factory (Game Over, Mafia Wins!)  (Read 169363 times)

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia XXXV: Mafia and the Chocolate Factory (Day1)
« Reply #200 on: November 25, 2013, 04:35:53 am »

Initially posted in the wrong thread:

I think if I was scum I would find a way to give each scum and Town power a rating, and pick the scum powers which have ratings above the average for Town powers. Sounds like a lot of work though.

vote: jimmmmm for hiding in plain sight.

Meaning?

Meaning your statement was you being truthful about what you did as scum and masked as an "if I were scum" statement.  You are pulling a purloined letter.

I wasn't pulling anything. This was in response to a question asking what we would do as scum.

And I'm saying you did exactly what you wrote.  You assign values and chose roles based on them.  Then you told us you would do it so we would think you didn't.

I mean, not solid by any means, but it's early D1.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: November 25, 2013, 04:40:32 am »

I think if I was scum I would find a way to give each scum and Town power a rating, and pick the scum powers which have ratings above the average for Town powers. Sounds like a lot of work though.

Meaning?

Meaning your statement was you being truthful about what you did as scum and masked as an "if I were scum" statement.  You are pulling a purloined letter.

I wasn't pulling anything. This was in response to a question asking what we would do as scum.

And I'm saying you did exactly what you wrote.  You assign values and chose roles based on them.  Then you told us you would do it so we would think you didn't.

Well yeah I've done that sort of thing before as scum. But there's no basis to your accusation. You could pick anyone's response to the question and say exactly the same thing. I just said what crossed my mind when I initially read the setup, before I knew my alignment.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: November 25, 2013, 04:43:03 am »

Meaning?

Well yeah I've done that sort of thing before as scum. But there's no basis to your accusation. You could pick anyone's response to the question and say exactly the same thing. I just said what crossed my mind when I initially read the setup, before I knew my alignment.

Probably.  But yours stuck out, so I voted.  At the very least, it got some convo going and a reaction on record.  Others can weigh in.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: November 25, 2013, 04:45:03 am »

Meaning?

Probably.  But yours stuck out, so I voted.  At the very least, it got some convo going and a reaction on record.  Others can weigh in.

Were you aware at the time that I'd received two of the previous three votes? Did that factor into your vote?

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: November 25, 2013, 04:57:36 am »

"Didn't read the setup Robz" is also town!robz.  He knows this and could try to fake it, but I don't think he is.

Remember, "claim the wrong pr and get lynched on D1 as town anyway" is also a Robz that exists.  Other vets will back me up here, I think.

Scum!robz isn't this easy.

You know what this reminds me of ? It reminds of mail-mi in GoT, where he got away with a super scummy voting history because "oh, he's just mail-mi". People are aware of what their meta are, they can play around with that. I'm fine with my vote for now.

I'm also not sure what you're going on about with Jimmmmm, it seemed like a pretty simple answer to faust's question. I mean, anyone answering that question is gonna say "If I were mafia, I would...", so I don't see what's specifically scummy about Jimmmmm's post here.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: November 25, 2013, 05:09:08 am »

Were you aware at the time that I'd received two of the previous three votes? Did that factor into your vote?

Worried about a wagon now?  Didn't you just say a bit ago early wagons dissipate and aren't worth worrying about?

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: November 25, 2013, 05:10:52 am »

Worried about a wagon now?  Didn't you just say a bit ago early wagons dissipate and aren't worth worrying about?

No I was just assuming that the vote was related to the others. I guess it was a less serious vote than I took it for. Are you going to answer my questions?

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: November 25, 2013, 05:13:00 am »

Teproc, since you're online and posting, could you answer my question?
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: November 25, 2013, 05:16:58 am »

I still don't think it's a great idea but sure.

I would have picked JOAT+Roleblocker, for two reasons. First, these are the only two that actually fight PRs. Second, it makes the Goon Cop completely useless

Maybe Day Chat is very powerful and I'm underestimating it though.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: November 25, 2013, 05:50:02 am »

Also, Jimmmmm, you haven't really answered yet. You don't need to do your rating stuff if you don't have the time, just imagine you just got a mafia PM and had to decide within 24 hours. Which powers would you pick?

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: November 25, 2013, 05:51:01 am »

Now that most reservations regarding my question seem to be cleared, let me ask once again:

In your next post, please name the set of powers you would have picked as mafia.

If you don't know what this is for, well trust me on this. It won't hurt town at least. And contrary to ashersky, I actually have a plan.

Goodness, I don't know. *Checks roles* JoAT and Bulletproof seem weaker than the average Town role, but of course also provide Godfather in case there's a Cop. Daytalk is great but probably not worth giving Town an extra role. Recruiting the Traitor would be good, but of couse is an anti-Godfather. In the end I'd probably take the Role Cop and see what my partner thought about recruiting the Traitor.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: November 25, 2013, 05:51:57 am »

It was less complicated than I thought, and numbers probably wouldn't help much.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: November 25, 2013, 05:52:40 am »

Now that most reservations regarding my question seem to be cleared, let me ask once again:

In your next post, please name the set of powers you would have picked as mafia.

If you don't know what this is for, well trust me on this. It won't hurt town at least. And contrary to ashersky, I actually have a plan.

Goodness, I don't know. *Checks roles* JoAT and Bulletproof seem weaker than the average Town role, but of course also provide Godfather in case there's a Cop. Daytalk is great but probably not worth giving Town an extra role. Recruiting the Traitor would be good, but of couse is an anti-Godfather. In the end I'd probably take the Role Cop and see what my partner thought about recruiting the Traitor.

Oh, sorry, forgot that.

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: November 25, 2013, 09:34:50 am »

First of all, did anyone actually read the setup?

Um, I think you read the setup wrong Robz. Mafia doesn't choose the PRs town has, it chooses it's own PRs and then town gets X PRs, where X is the number of PRs mafia took.

Teproc is not quite right here.  Mafia does not choose PRs town has, they choose their own, then town gets 2+X PRs, where X is the number of PRs mafia took.

During pre-game, mafia have 24 hours to select which (if any) of the modifications they want to their team. A maximum of three modifications may be selected.

- Bulletproof
 - Role Cop - The Role Cop can both perform the kill and perform the role copping in the same night.
 - JOAT (1 shot Strongman, 1 shot Ninja)
 - Daytalk (passive ability)
 - Recruit Traitor as Mafia Goon

For each modification that is selected by the mafia, town gains an additional role as well. The town has two roles to start, resulting in a maximum of five town roles randomly selected from the following:

- Goon Cop - returns results of Goon, Not Goon or no result regardless of alignment.
 - Roleblocker
 - Tracker
 - Bodyguard
 - Vigilante
 - Innocent Child (reveal at start of day one)

So we know of one town PR (our wonderful IC faust), but that doesn't say anything at all about mafia PRs because we knew that we would have at least 2.  I will discuss my thoughts on ranking mafia PRs in another post, but I wanted to make sure my fellow town members did not jump to any conclusions that we know for certainty that mafia has in fact took advantage of the PRs they had available, because we do not know that.
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: mcmcsalot
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: November 25, 2013, 09:54:55 am »

Okay so to answer the pr question thingy, for me it would depend on the scum team I was with. If I was with a team I thought could win I would chose no additional powers, if I was with a team I thought was very strategic but not so good at mid day communication I would pick day talk, and if I was with a team I though was really going to need help I would pick recruit.
Wins: M19, M21, M23, M24, M26, M39, M91, M94, M102, M104, M107, M114, M115
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113
Winrate: 38.2%(13/34) 29.6%(8/27), 71.4%(5/7)

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: November 25, 2013, 09:57:23 am »

My Personal Mafia PR PR  (Power Role Power Ranking).

1. JOAT (1 shot Strongman, 1 shot Ninja) - Extra NK.  yes please.
2. Daytalk (passive ability) - Can be very useful in developing strategies during the day.
3. Recruit Traitor as Mafia Goon - Useful for several reasons.  Don't want to mistakenly kill your buddy, day or night.
4. Role Cop - Could be useful, but not as much as the others
5. Bulletproof - one town PR can possibly kill you, and why risk taking a PR that could end up useless if town doesn't even get the Vigilante?
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: November 25, 2013, 09:59:22 am »

That's actually what I was saying 2.7, except I apparently forgot to say "X+2" in my post.

JOAT isn't an extra NK, it's instead of the regular night kill, right ?

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: November 25, 2013, 10:00:17 am »

Well then, I'll try to be a good IC for you all.

Before we really get started, I would like everyone to answer the following question:

If you were mafia in this game, which (if any) powers would you have picked?

Everyone's answer should include his preferred set of powers (as mafia). Don't just say "well, this looks neat, but maybe I would have also chosen that."

I would have chosen Daytalk and JOAT. The other ones don't seem worth creating another town PR.

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: November 25, 2013, 10:03:43 am »

That's actually what I was saying 2.7, except I apparently forgot to say "X+2" in my post.

if that is the case i need to redo my power rankings

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: mcmcsalot
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: November 25, 2013, 10:04:41 am »

Actually changing my answer a bit, just more likely to pick a pr now then before, the ic sucks in this setup(no offense Faust) I believe most of an Ic's power has nothing to do with who roles it and what they do, it all has to do with the setup which does not favor an ic here. So now there really aren't many good powers.
Wins: M19, M21, M23, M24, M26, M39, M91, M94, M102, M104, M107, M114, M115
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113
Winrate: 38.2%(13/34) 29.6%(8/27), 71.4%(5/7)

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: November 25, 2013, 10:11:09 am »

Yeah I'm not a huge fan of what Rob just did. Trying to get town points for not knowing the setup, and then acting all jokey about it when called out ? I think that's enough for a vote: Robz actually.

Yeah, that seems like something I might see Robz fake for a bit of town cred. I'm willing to vote Robz (once I catch up).

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: November 25, 2013, 10:11:49 am »

I still don't think it's a great idea but sure.

I would have picked JOAT+Roleblocker, for two reasons. First, these are the only two that actually fight PRs. Second, it makes the Goon Cop completely useless

Maybe Day Chat is very powerful and I'm underestimating it though.

Not sure if anyone has corrected this yet, but there's no Roleblocker as an option. Does this change your answer?

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: November 25, 2013, 10:13:06 am »

I meant Rolecop, sorry. Really should proofread more apparently...

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: November 25, 2013, 10:13:20 am »

Yeah I'm not a huge fan of what Rob just did. Trying to get town points for not knowing the setup, and then acting all jokey about it when called out ? I think that's enough for a vote: Robz actually.

Yeah, that seems like something I might see Robz fake for a bit of town cred. I'm willing to vote Robz (once I catch up).

Okey dokey. Vote: Robz.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: November 25, 2013, 10:14:10 am »

I think JOAT should not be an additional NK. That would be OP.

Just to make sure, let's ask the mod:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 70  All

Page created in 2.737 seconds with 21 queries.