Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Halloween fan cards  (Read 15666 times)

Minotaur

• Margrave
  • Respect: +3960
    • View Profile
Halloween fan cards
« on: October 27, 2013, 02:29:45 am »

Quick, do some!

Here's one for starters. (I added a clause to prevent the possibility of infinite loops with cards which could hypothetically exist; this clause is not on the image yet):

Mummy
Duration
Cost: 4

You may trash a treasure from your hand. If you do, you may trash a Curse from your hand.

While this card is in play, any other player who gains a treasure also gains a Curse. Each time this card is in play, it can cause each player to gain at most one Curse.

---------------------------------------

(I could give this the Action-Attack-Duration type, but there aren't any cards like that, and I suspect it would be confusing or even inconsistent with some reaction cards.)
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
Re: Halloween fan cards
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 02:36:18 am »

Ok, I have an incomplete idea for Werewolf. It should probably be an Action-Duration-Attack, performing its attack the turn after it is played (gotta wait for that full moon). I also figured it should Curse you when you gain it, but then the attack needs to be appropriately strong. It should also be an agile creature, so cantrip it is?

idk, here's one version, I doubt that it would be stable enough for real games:

Werewolf
Cost: 5
+1 card
+1 action
At the beginning of your next turn, each other player reveals cards from the top of their deck until they reveal a card costing between 3 and 6. Trash that card.
When you gain this card, gain a Curse.
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 02:44:28 am »

I could add some goofiness about silver bullets to Werewolf, such as having it do nothing if it reveals a Silver and/or giving the other players the option to reveal X Silvers in hand to prevent the attack. I don't know exactly. I don't want to be able to "kill" it with a Silver "bullet", because it would be ridiculously swingy at that point.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 02:49:51 am by Minotaur »

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 06:31:21 am »
+1

Cantrip trashing attack which provides no benefit to the attacker? Knight that can't whiff and doesn't give the opponent a choice, and can't get trashed?
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 10:16:11 am »

Ok, I have an incomplete idea for Werewolf. It should probably be an Action-Duration-Attack, performing its attack the turn after it is played (gotta wait for that full moon). I also figured it should Curse you when you gain it, but then the attack needs to be appropriately strong. It should also be an agile creature, so cantrip it is?

idk, here's one version, I doubt that it would be stable enough for real games:

Werewolf
+1 card
+1 action
At the beginning of your next turn, each other player reveals cards from the top of their deck until they reveal a card costing between 3 and 6. Trash that card.
When you gain this card, gain a Curse.

Another
Werewolf (originally was named Vampire)
6$,  Action
+3 Cards
+1 Action
+2$
Each other player may reveal a Silver. If anyone does, gain a Curse and trash this if you don't gain one.

Zombie
4$, Action
Trash a card from your hand. +1 action per $ it costs.
+2 Cards
----
When you trash this, put it in your discard pile and trash a card from your hand.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2013, 11:45:13 am »
+1

Zombie
4$, Action
Trash a card from your hand. +1 action per $ it costs.
+2 Cards
----
When you trash this, put it in your discard pile and trash a card from your hand.

Honestly, Zombie should probably just be a Rats re-theme. It much more accurately describes what they actually do.

jpople02

• Steward
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2013, 12:11:09 pm »

I had an idea for a Werewolf once. 

Werewolf - Action - $5

+1 Card
+1 Action

Reveal the top card of your deck.  If it is not a Treasure, you may trash it.  If you do, +3 cards and gain a Werewolf.

Sort of Rats-like in that they bite other cards and make them Werewolves too, and they're really good but destructive.

Another Halloween-themed one that is probably terrible:

Black Cat - Action/Attack - $4

+1 Action

You may flip over the top card of the Jinx pile.

Each other player reveals their hand.  If they have a copy of the Jinxed card, they must discard one. 

---

Setup: Take one card from each Kingdom pile and set them aside.  This is the Jinx pile.  Whenever the top card of the Jinx pile is flipped over, it becomes the new Jinxed card.  The old Jinxed card is shuffled back into the pile.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2013, 12:22:50 pm »

Cantrip trashing attack which provides no benefit to the attacker? Knight that can't whiff and doesn't give the opponent a choice, and can't get trashed?

There could be other balancing things to throw in.

About it providing no benefit, it's kind of like Saboteur. I know that card isn't generally liked, but I figure if it's non-terminal, it doesn't feel as bad to have it. Most of the features are there for theme reasons, but I don't claim I have the balance figured out yet. Keep in mind that it gains you a curse and takes longer to play (for theme reasons).

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2013, 12:26:47 pm »

I had an idea for a Werewolf once. 

Werewolf - Action - $5

+1 Card
+1 Action

Reveal the top card of your deck.  If it is not a Treasure, you may trash it.  If you do, +3 cards and gain a Werewolf.

Sort of Rats-like in that they bite other cards and make them Werewolves too, and they're really good but destructive.

Another Halloween-themed one that is probably terrible:

Black Cat - Action/Attack - $4

+1 Action

You may flip over the top card of the Jinx pile.

Each other player reveals their hand.  If they have a copy of the Jinxed card, they must discard one. 

---

Setup: Take one card from each Kingdom pile and set them aside.  This is the Jinx pile.  Whenever the top card of the Jinx pile is flipped over, it becomes the new Jinxed card.  The old Jinxed card is shuffled back into the pile.

Black Cat needs an accountability clause, but is otherwise ok I guess. Maybe too annoying, like an unlimited and unreliable Cutpurse. Maybe throw in +1 coin or something? I don't know.

EDIT: Werewolves can kill each other too? Maybe that's ok, I'm mostly thinking about theme here. For theme reasons, I'm not sure how I feel about being able to make choices for the werewolf...
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 12:28:47 pm by Minotaur »

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2013, 12:38:39 pm »

Full Moon
Action-Duration
Cost: 6

+1 Action
While this card is in play, each attack card grants +1 Action. While this card is in play, place a carnage token on your Full Moon mat each time any player plays an attack. At the start of your next turn, you may spend any number of Carnage tokens. If you do, gain a card whose cost is equal to the number of tokens spent.

(EDIT: This was briefly posted as costing 5 and not having +1 Action, but clearly this would be a really frustrating card to play for the person who bought it a lot of the time. Question: Should there be a limitation on what can be gained from the carnage tokens? Costing at most 5? Not a Victory card? etc)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 12:44:55 pm by Minotaur »

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2013, 06:22:06 pm »

Let me redo this one... It's probably way too strong paired with +cards attacks in its original form.

Full Moon
Action-Duration

+1 Action
While this card is in play, each attack card grants +1 Action. While this card is in play, place a carnage token on your Full Moon mat each time any player plays an attack.

At the start of your next turn: Trash this card. You may spend any number of Carnage tokens. You may gain a card whose cost is equal to the number of tokens spent.

jpople02

• Steward
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2013, 06:31:47 pm »

Black Cat needs an accountability clause, but is otherwise ok I guess. Maybe too annoying, like an unlimited and unreliable Cutpurse. Maybe throw in +1 coin or something? I don't know.

What do you mean an accountability clause?

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2013, 06:39:11 pm »

Frankenstein's Monster
Cost: 0* (This card cannot be bought or gained by other cards)

+2 cards
+1 action
Discard a card

-----------------------------------

Setup: Any time that your Frankenstein mat has fewer than two corpse tokens, you may trash an Action card from your hand to put a corpse token on your Frankenstein mat. During your buy phase, you may trash a card from your hand, use a buy, and spend two corpse tokens to gain this card.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2013, 06:41:07 pm »

What do you mean an accountability clause?

Never mind, there was one there already and I missed it. "Reveal your hand" is the accountability clause here. An accountability clause is any command that prevents players from being able to bluff their way out of following the rules.

You could weaken it, though, to "each player discards a copy of the Jinx card or reveals a hand with no Jinx card". Sort of like Cutpurse.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2013, 07:37:25 pm »

Quick, do some!

Here's one for starters. (I added a clause to prevent the possibility of infinite loops with cards which could hypothetically exist; this clause is not on the image yet):

Mummy
Duration

You may trash a treasure from your hand. If you do, you may trash a Curse from your hand.

While this card is in play, any other player who gains a treasure also gains a Curse. Each time this card is in play, it can cause each player to gain at most one Curse.

(I could give this the Action-Attack-Duration type, but there aren't any cards like that, and I suspect it would be confusing or even inconsistent with some reaction cards.)

Mummy doesn't work like you want; without an action to preform the turn after you play it, it will just get cleaned up like a regular action at the end of the turn that you play it. Also, what infinite loop did you fix?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2013, 07:43:33 pm »

Quick, do some!

Mummy
Duration

Mummy doesn't work like you want; without an action to preform the turn after you play it, it will just get cleaned up like a regular action at the end of the turn that you play it. Also, what infinite loop did you fix?

I guess this technicality with how Seaside rules work could be fixed with a derpy "discard at the start of the cleanup phase of your following turn" clause. All of this stuff was already talked about here, where I posted it before I realized that I actually wanted this to be in a different thread: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=9414.50

The infinite loop doesn't exist yet AFAIK, but if you had another card that reversed the roles of Curse and Treasure from this in some form, then there would be a loop. Better safe than sorry, I guess.

Showdown35

• Golem
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2013, 10:54:26 pm »

I'll throw my Holloween creation into the bonfire...

Cemetery / Graveyard / Crypt
$3 - Action
+1 Card, +1 Action
Look at the top card of your deck. You may trash it. If you don't, gain 2 curses.
Check out my Dominion Fan Card Template for Photoshop  here

Powerman

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2013, 11:48:26 pm »
+1

Witch
$5 Action-Attack
+2 Cards

Each other player gains a Curse.
A man on a mission.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2013, 01:56:26 am »
+1

Witch
$5 Action-Attack
+2 Cards

Each other player gains a Curse.

Yes, I think we all see what you did there.

jpople02

• Steward
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2013, 08:37:49 am »

$3 - Action
+1 Card, +1 Action
Look at the top card of your deck. You may trash it. If you don't, gain 2 curses.

This seems very high-risk, low-reward to me.  I probably wouldn't ever play it.

Showdown35

• Golem
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2013, 09:27:24 am »

$3 - Action
+1 Card, +1 Action

My bad,  its supposed to have +$2 as well... I forgot to type that part.
Check out my Dominion Fan Card Template for Photoshop  here

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2013, 09:37:19 am »
+1

$3 - Action
+1 Card, +1 Action

My bad,  its supposed to have +$2 as well... I forgot to type that part.

I think its quite strong early-game trasher, although kind of swingy. If you throw +2$ it would be crazy strong.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2013, 09:57:33 am »
+1

Poltergeist
Victory - $4
Worth 2VP
---
When you reveal this, trash this and gain a cheaper card, putting it in your hand.

Because if you look at it, it turns out the scary ghost was just Woodcutter all along.

ta56636

• Bishop
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2013, 10:14:17 am »

Ha! Love this - interesting mechanic (doing something when revealed) - and great thematically.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5459
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2013, 10:16:25 am »

Regarding some sort of "Silver bane" mechanic for a Werewolf card, it has been discussed before, and one thing to keep in mind is that it has a tendency to encourage everyone to play a "boring" Silver heavy strategy.  So if you want to have some sense of a Silver bane, you would probably want to find a way of preventing that;  I'm sure plenty of such mechanisms exist.
Well you *do* need a signature...

Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 20 queries.