Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Halloween fan cards  (Read 15668 times)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
Re: Halloween fan cards
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2013, 11:52:51 am »
+1

You can't buy a Werewolf/Vampire card if you have any Silver in play :)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2013, 01:00:05 pm »

Or maybe the Werewolf is just a strong engine card, so that it encourages Silver-less strategies too.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Minotaur

• Margrave
  • Respect: +3960
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2013, 01:04:58 pm »

I don't see a problem with Silver bane. Maybe you have to play the game around it, but it wouldn't be any worse than Pirate Ship.
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5459
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2013, 01:10:49 pm »

Or maybe the Werewolf is just a strong engine card, so that it encourages Silver-less strategies too.

Sure.  I guess I'm also assuming that Werewolf is an attack card.  So this means that it is both an attack and a strong engine card?  That sounds like a dangerous combination unless it is a wimpy attack.  But yeah, you could probably make something like this work.
Well you *do* need a signature...

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2013, 02:14:23 pm »

Sure.  I guess I'm also assuming that Werewolf is an attack card.  So this means that it is both an attack and a strong engine card?  That sounds like a dangerous combination unless it is a wimpy attack.  But yeah, you could probably make something like this work.
Well, Torturer already is an attack card which is also an engine card.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2013, 02:39:14 pm »
+1

Well, Torturer already is an attack card which is also an engine card.

Yeah, and it is a rather scary card.  :P

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2013, 03:26:01 pm »

A $3 cantrip +$2 with "trash the (known) top card of your deck or gain two Curses" seems like an obvious monolithic strategy to me, since the Curses get trashed (and run out) quickly enough anyway. You could probably reliably get a Province per turn from turn 9 onwards.
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2013, 05:10:50 pm »

Raven, 4$
+1 Card
+2 Actions
----
While this is in play, when another player gains a card costing 0$, you may set this aside. If you do: +1$ and discard this during your cleanup phase
----
In games using this, add either Witch, Torturer, Sea Hag, Familiar, Mountebank, Young Witch, Cultist, Ill-Gotten-Gains or Soothsayer to the supply.

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2013, 05:25:50 pm »

"You may set this aside" is a clumsy mechanic for something that's in play, and people are going to argue that they played it, so it's in play, whether or not they set it aside. Why not just say, "once per turn"?

jpople02

• Steward
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2013, 05:33:36 pm »

Not sure about the numbers or balancing on this, but here's an idea:

Haunted Manor -- Victory/Reaction -- $5?

Worth 1 VP for every card on your Haunted Manor mat at the end of the game (rounded down).
---
On your turn, whenever any player would gain a Curse, you may reveal this from your hand.  If you do, put all Curses that would be gained onto your Haunted Manor mat.

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2013, 05:45:33 pm »

Not sure about the numbers or balancing on this, but here's an idea:

Haunted Manor -- Victory/Reaction -- $5?

Worth 1 VP for every card on your Haunted Manor mat at the end of the game (rounded down).
---
On your turn, whenever any player would gain a Curse, you may reveal this from your hand.  If you do, put all Curses that would be gained onto your Haunted Manor mat.
Seems pretty weak, and just totally dead on a board without Cursers (which are the majority). Even with a Curser, besides the Treasure Map problem, it is still pretty speculative to not put that Curse in your opponent's deck, slowing them down for the rest of the game while also netting a point for you.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2013, 05:49:39 pm »
+3

Sexy Scout

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2013, 05:55:16 pm »

Seems pretty weak, and just totally dead on a board without Cursers (which are the majority). Even with a Curser, besides the Treasure Map problem, it is still pretty speculative to not put that Curse in your opponent's deck, slowing them down for the rest of the game while also netting a point for you.
I don't know. Piledrive these, then start purchasing 8 point Curses for $0 each doesn't sound horrible.

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2013, 06:12:51 pm »

Oh, I read it as "when another player would gain a Curse". Probably a monolithic strategy, then.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2013, 06:22:09 pm »

Ok, let me fix a couple. Let me know what you think. First, let's make Mummy play by the rules better:

Mummy (2.0)
Duration
Cost: 4

You may trash a treasure from your hand. If you do, you may trash a Curse from your hand.

While this card is in play, any other player who gains a treasure also gains a Curse. Each time this card is in play, it can cause each player to gain at most one Curse.

At the start of your next turn, turn this card upside-down.(*)

(* - As previously discussed, this is simply so the Seaside rules know how long Mummy stay in play; there could be cards that stay out even longer, but Donald didn't release any.)

---------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, let's make Werewolf a little more fair maybe? Now the mechanism involved is somewhat swingy, but probably fair. I'm not sure.

Werewolf (2.0)
Cost: 5
Action-Attack-Duration
+1 card
+1 action
At the beginning of your next turn, each other player reveals cards from the top of their deck until revealing a card costing between 3 and 6, setting it aside and discarding the other revealed cards. If the set aside card is a Silver, the player draws it and then discards a card in hand. If the set aside card is not a Silver, the player chooses to either trash that card or discard it and gain a Curse.
When you gain this card, gain a Curse.

Remark: After the Curses run out, it's still a reasonable Cantrip delayed attack that forces players to discard a good card every time they don't reveal a Silver. You probably won't buy a ton of these anyway because of the on-gain.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 03:41:18 pm by Minotaur »
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2013, 06:28:48 pm »

Frankenstein's Monster
Cost: 0* (This card cannot be bought or gained by other cards)

+2 cards
+1 action
Discard a card

-----------------------------------

Setup: Any time that your Frankenstein mat has fewer than two corpse tokens, you may trash an Action card from your hand to put a corpse token on your Frankenstein mat. During your buy phase, you may trash a card from your hand, use a buy, and spend two corpse tokens to gain this card.

===========================

Question: This one's a little hard to gain on some boards. Is it strong enough, or should I give it +2 actions instead of +1? I'm trying to make a sort of grunt work minion (but not a Minion) that requires trashing two actions to get it, so an actions-and-handsize-neutral sifter might be a good start, but I don't know if it's balanced relative to what you have to do. You have to use three buys and probably 4-6 money total, but at least you get to trash a Copper or an Estate. Still, takes a while to set up and not a power card on its own. Could it use +1 money, or +1 buy, or the extra action, or what? Or is it probably fine as is?

Another question: Maybe it should cost an action to trash a card for the mat?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 06:29:50 pm by Minotaur »

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2013, 03:40:56 pm »

I cleaned up the text of Werewolf 2.0. Now it says to discard the other revealed cards *before* discussing what to do with the 3-6 card. Previously it was awfully clunky, because I just had them sitting there revealed for half a paragraph.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2013, 03:54:02 pm »

Ok, I thought about it some more. Maybe Zombie should be a slight variant on Rats.

Zombie
Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
Reveal your hand. If you reveal a hand of all Zombies, trash this card. Otherwise, trash a card from your hand which is not a Zombie; it must be an action card if possible.
When you trash this, +1 VP.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2013, 03:59:29 pm »

I realized that Frankenstein's Monster was really acting more like Igor. Also, I changed the gaining mechanism for Frankenstein's Monster, putting him on the sideboard in Igor games:

Igor
Action
Cost: 6

+2 cards
+1 action
Discard or trash a card from your hand. If you trashed an Action card in this way, gain a Corpse token.

--------------------------------------

Setup: Add Frankenstein's Monster to the sideboard

=======================================

Frankenstein's Monster (2.0)
Action-Attack
Cost: 0*; 3 corpse tokens.

+3 cards
Each player (including you) gains a curse. You may gain a Ruins**. If you did, +1 card and trash a card from your hand.

* - This card cannot be bought with coins or gained by other cards. Its coin cost is treated as 0 for other purposes.
** - If you do not own Dark Ages, make this a Curse instead, and play the game with 10 additional curses in the Supply.

EDIT: Ok, sorry I changed it several times. I'm going to let it stand as is and make the next one 3.0 if it happens. I'm not sure about the roles played by curses and ruins. Thematically, the monster should smash things into ruins; in the case where you smash a curse, you gained a ruins and everyone else gained a curse, and you drew 4 cards. Not bad?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 04:19:57 pm by Minotaur »

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2013, 05:57:09 pm »

Fast-moving (read: cantrip) nuisance that is stronger in numbers...

Bat
Action-Attack

+1 Card
+1 Action

Each other player reveals a Victory card from their hand and places it on top of their deck or reveals a hand with no Victory cards. Reveal the top card of your deck. If it is a Bat, draw it into your hand. Otherwise, return it to the top of your deck.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2013, 06:02:56 pm »

Ghost
Action-Attack

Choose two: +1 Card, +1 Action, +1 Coin, +1 Buy
Each other player chooses one: Gain a curse, discard a card, place a card on top of your deck

Gain a Ghost card from the supply whenever you trash an Action card. When you buy this card, trash an Action card from your hand or return this card to the supply.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2013, 06:09:50 pm »

Ambassador/Masquerade mashup attack.

Vampire
Attack
+1 Card
Each other player passes you a card face down. Draw them into your hand. You may trash a card from your hand; if you did, +1 VP. Place one card from your hand face down for each other player who did not prevent this attack. Each other player chooses one of these cards in turn order and draws it into his or her hand.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2013, 06:15:59 pm »
+2

Sexy Scout

Action/Victory
Cost: 5

+2 Coins
Reveal the top three cards of your deck. Draw the Victory cards and put the other cards on top of your deck in any order.

--------------

2 VP

jpople02

• Steward
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 30, 2013, 06:18:27 pm »

Action-Attack

+3 cards
Each player (including you) gains a curse. You may gain a Ruins**. If you did, +1 card and trash a card from your hand.

* - This card cannot be bought with coins or gained by other cards. Its coin cost is treated as 0 for other purposes.
** - If you do not own Dark Ages, make this a Curse instead, and play the game with 10 additional curses in the Supply.

EDIT: Ok, sorry I changed it several times. I'm going to let it stand as is and make the next one 3.0 if it happens. I'm not sure about the roles played by curses and ruins. Thematically, the monster should smash things into ruins; in the case where you smash a curse, you gained a ruins and everyone else gained a curse, and you drew 4 cards. Not bad?

I like the monster being a sort of sub-card thing with Igor (maybe it should just be Dr. Frankenstein himself?), but in its current state I don't think I'd ever want one.  I have to trash three actions for my deck... for what?  A slightly better Witch that also Curses me?  I don't think it's powerful enough to justify what you have to do to get it.  I don't know, I might be wrong, but it seems way underpowered.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 30, 2013, 06:25:40 pm »

Action-Attack

+3 cards

I like the monster being a sort of sub-card thing with Igor (maybe it should just be Dr. Frankenstein himself?), but in its current state I don't think I'd ever want one.  I have to trash three actions for my deck... for what?  A slightly better Witch that also Curses me?  I don't think it's powerful enough to justify what you have to do to get it.  I don't know, I might be wrong, but it seems way underpowered.

Thanks, I'll think about it some more.

On the other hand, I don't know how to make it stronger without breaking it. Also, both the monster and Igor to some extent mitigate the monster's drawbacks. I guess I'd have to playtest, because it's a huge mix of good and bad things.

Also, the whole point of Frankenstein is that he's a creation who is mutilated, rejected by society, and out of control. Powerful, but destructive to all with no exceptions.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 20 queries.