Author Topic: #vpany  (Read 4287 times)

pst

• Minion
  • Respect: +906
    • View Profile
#vpany
« on: October 24, 2013, 07:57:53 am »
+1

Suggestion: If you're OK playing with or without the point tracker, then when you set up a table at Goko, please add #vpany to the table name!

This is analogous to #vpon and #vpoff that Goko Dominion Salvager knows about. It wouldn't know about this, but people see those tags as well, and avoid some tables. Since you have a table everyone can be happy with, show it, and you'll get opponents faster!

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: #vpany
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 09:00:08 am »

Suggestion: If you're OK playing with or without the point tracker, then when you set up a table at Goko, please add #vpany to the table name!

This is analogous to #vpon and #vpoff that Goko Dominion Salvager knows about. It wouldn't know about this, but people see those tags as well, and avoid some tables. Since you have a table everyone can be happy with, show it, and you'll get opponents faster!
This is a great idea, but usually the people without #vpon or #vpoff are people who don't visit the forum anyway, so a lot of them won't see this.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 10:12:54 pm »

I don't set my table either way, but I have it set in settings to vpon, so if I play against an opponent who dislikes the point tracker, they have the option to turn it off.

pst

• Minion
  • Respect: +906
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 03:38:19 am »

This is a great idea, but usually the people without #vpon or #vpoff are people who don't visit the forum anyway, so a lot of them won't see this.

That doesn't matter. It doesn't have to be universal to be useful. Everyone who does this can get a (small) benefit from it, and I (and people like me) get a small benefit for everyone who does this.

I don't set my table either way, but I have it set in settings to vpon, so if I play against an opponent who dislikes the point tracker, they have the option to turn it off.

If this is for two-player then you are exactly the kind of player I'm making this suggestion to. Currently I wouldn't sit down at your table, because I wouldn't know if you were gonna #vpoff me. If you followed my suggestion I would sit down at your table. (For multiplayer it doesn't work of course, because the vpoffer could be some other player anyway.)

() | (_) ^/

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: p4ddy0d00rs
  • Nemo dat quod non habet.
  • Respect: +526
    • View Profile
    • BGG profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 10:37:23 am »
+4

That doesn't matter. It doesn't have to be universal to be useful. Everyone who does this can get a (small) benefit from it, and I (and people like me) get a small benefit for everyone who does this.

If this is for two-player then you are exactly the kind of player I'm making this suggestion to. Currently I wouldn't sit down at your table, because I wouldn't know if you were gonna #vpoff me. If you followed my suggestion I would sit down at your table. (For multiplayer it doesn't work of course, because the vpoffer could be some other player anyway.)

I thought about this problem a lot back in the iso days.  I had a weak preference FOR playing with the point tracker (at that point part of the Dominion client itself -- I'm not referencing the deck-tracking extension from those iso days).

But you could only choose auto match to find games where the point tracker was "allowed (or no preference)" or games where the point tracker was "disallowed (or no preference)."  Essentially, all players were pigeon-holed into one of three categories:

I must have the point tracker, and will only play an automatched game with it enabled.
I will have either the point tracker or no point tracker, and will play an automatched game with it enabled or disabled.
I must NOT have the point tracker, and will only play an automatched game with it disabled.

However, I think a slight modification would have been perfect for me:

I must have the point tracker, and will only play an automatched game with it enabled.
I would like to have the point tracker, but will still play an automatched game without it if my opponent has a preference against it.
I will have either the point tracker or no point tracker, and will play an automatched game with it enabled or disabled.
I would like to NOT have the point tracker, but will still play an automatched game with it if my opponent has a preference for it.
I must NOT have the point tracker, and will only play an automatched game with it disabled.

My ideal, back in the iso days, was to have this "weak preference" indicator.  If I indicated a strong preference, all of my matches would have the point counter.  If I indicated a strong preference against, all of my matches would not have it.  If I did not indicate a preference, and I was matched up with someone else who also didn't have a preference, we would play with no point counter. =(

Whereas, if I had a weak preference for the point counter (line 2 from my modifications), then we would still play with the point counter since my opponent had no preference either way.

I guess what I'm saying is that I had a preference, it just wasn't a make-or-break deal that iso pigeon-holed me into if I wanted to play with the point counter.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 06:49:27 pm »
+1

I thought about this problem a lot back in the iso days.  I had a weak preference FOR playing with the point tracker (at that point part of the Dominion client itself -- I'm not referencing the deck-tracking extension from those iso days).

But you could only choose auto match to find games where the point tracker was "allowed (or no preference)" or games where the point tracker was "disallowed (or no preference)."  Essentially, all players were pigeon-holed into one of three categories:

However, I think a slight modification would have been perfect for me:

I would like to have the point tracker, but will still play an automatched game without it if my opponent has a preference against it.
I would like to NOT have the point tracker, but will still play an automatched game with it if my opponent has a preference for it.

My ideal, back in the iso days, was to have this "weak preference" indicator.  If I indicated a strong preference, all of my matches would have the point counter.  If I indicated a strong preference against, all of my matches would not have it.  If I did not indicate a preference, and I was matched up with someone else who also didn't have a preference, we would play with no point counter. =(

Whereas, if I had a weak preference for the point counter (line 2 from my modifications), then we would still play with the point counter since my opponent had no preference either way.

I guess what I'm saying is that I had a preference, it just wasn't a make-or-break deal that iso pigeon-holed me into if I wanted to play with the point counter.

I like your idea.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2013, 12:33:50 am »
+1

Or in other words,
Require On
Prefer On
Don't Care
Prefer Off
Require Off

Matches between Require-On and Require-Off would be prevented. Only unclear thing is what to do when a Prefer-On meets a Prefer-Off--does it go on or off? All the other pairings are clear.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2013, 06:57:40 am »
+1

Matches between Require-On and Require-Off would be prevented. Only unclear thing is what to do when a Prefer-On meets a Prefer-Off--does it go on or off?
Use the preference of the host.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2013, 07:28:14 am »
+2

Or in other words,
Require On
Prefer On
Don't Care
Prefer Off
Require Off

Matches between Require-On and Require-Off would be prevented. Only unclear thing is what to do when a Prefer-On meets a Prefer-Off--does it go on or off? All the other pairings are clear.

I'd say drop "Don't Care" -- otherwise, it's also unclear what to do if two of them meet. Plus, "Prefer On" and "Prefer Off" are basically "Don't Care" since they can be paired with anyone anyway.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2013, 02:42:35 pm »
+12

Perhaps we just need more options?

"Prefer on unless you prefer off, in which case by all means."
"Prefer off unless you prefer on, in which case I'm happy to do that."

These would be particularly useful for British players.  There remains the problem of what to do if two British players meet.

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2013, 04:15:21 pm »
+3

These would be particularly useful for British players.  There remains the problem of what to do if two British players meet.

Wouldn't they just say "Are you ok?" and "Doing quite well" and agree to have some tea instead of playing Dominion?

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2013, 04:40:00 pm »
+8

Wouldn't they just say "Are you ok?" and "Doing quite well" and agree to have some tea instead of playing Dominion?

Wait do you mean you lot pay Dominion WITHOUT Tea?
Savages
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 20 queries.