Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Top 4 Common Archetypes  (Read 4780 times)

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +364
    • View Profile
Top 4 Common Archetypes
« on: October 23, 2013, 06:55:14 am »
+1

Okay, this might belong in the general dominion section, but I think it's pretty useful to think about these when designing cards, whether you want to follow them or not.

Number 4: +2 Cards +1 Action. Laboratory is the simplest version of this card, but many other cards, such as Advisor, Warehouse, and Hunting Party fit into it as well. Most cards based on this have good self-synergy and can cost a lot. The effect has a cost of $5, as Laboratory shows.

Number 3: +$2, +1 Buy. Again, woodcutter is the simplest form of this, but other cards like Nomad Camp, Bridge, Merchant Guild, and even Festival can fit in. It's worth $3.

Number 2: +1 Card, +1 Action, +$1. This is the only of the top 4 without something exactly it. There are surprisingly many versions of this card, including Market, Peddler, Highway, Baker, Tournament, Treasury, Grand Market and probably more that I forgot.

Number 1: +1 Card, +2 Actions. This is by far the most common of the archetypes, even having a name all to itself for the effect. Versions of it include Village, Mining Village, Worker's Village, Fishing Village, Native Village, Border Village, Bazaar, City, Farming Village, Bandit Camp, Fortress, Wandering Minstrel, Plaza, Hamlet, Shanty Town, and Walled Village. That's 16 cards that do almost the same thing! I guess they are so common because the effect is useful and enjoyable to have in many different types of games.

Okay, looking back at the 4 archtypes, each of them is primarily responsible for one of the vanilla actions. Only the +Buy one does not have the cantrip effect, and that is because in order to use buys well, you need to have money to buy things with. That is why it has money, I believe. Number 2, the money cantrip, is interesting because its worth is somewhere between 4 and 5, and so it cannot be priced as a normal card. I think number 2 is probably the archetype most open for new cards in, because its position allows complications to bring it to a whole number, and because there is not vanilla card for it, it cannot be strictly better than another card.

Whether you want to create wholly new cards or to stick to something tried-and-true, it's important to know the common archetypes either to create new versions of them, or to make sure your card does not fall into any of them.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
Re: Top 4 Common Archetypes
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 08:04:26 am »
+5

You have missed out my favourite .....Archetype
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2019
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 08:39:57 am »
+3

Though I wouldn't say he's particularly common.

BadAssMutha

• Bishop
  • Respect: +119
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 11:06:42 am »

Good general classification of actions, but I would include +3 Cards (terminal draw) as an archetype as well. Your only non-cantrip archetype gives +$, but +cards is an important one as well. Cards in this class include Smithy, Hunting Grounds, Ghost Ship, Moat, Catacombs, Margrave, Council Room, Wharf, Library, and many others. The village archetype would be a lot less useful without these important cards!

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9412
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 02:06:29 pm »

Good general classification of actions, but I would include +3 Cards (terminal draw) as an archetype as well. Your only non-cantrip archetype gives +$, but +cards is an important one as well. Cards in this class include Smithy, Hunting Grounds, Ghost Ship, Moat, Catacombs, Margrave, Council Room, Wharf, Library, and many others. The village archetype would be a lot less useful without these important cards!

Indeed, I'm pretty certain there are many more Smithy variants than Lab variants.  I count only 7 of the latter, and only if you include Wishing Well.  I count at least nine +3 Cards variants, and that doesn't include +2 Cards with a bonus (Oracle, for instance).
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 02:15:58 pm »

Indeed, I'm pretty certain there are many more Smithy variants than Lab variants.  I count only 7 of the latter, and only if you include Wishing Well.  I count at least nine +3 Cards variants, and that doesn't include +2 Cards with a bonus (Oracle, for instance).

Hmm, which of the following 10 do you not count as Lab variants?:
Laboratory, Alchemist, Advisor, Stables, Madman, Caravan, Hunting Party, Menagerie, Wishing Well, Vagrant

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 02:29:49 pm »

Hmm, which of the following 10 do you not count as Lab variants?:
Laboratory, Alchemist, Advisor, Stables, Madman, Caravan, Hunting Party, Menagerie, Wishing Well, Vagrant

Madman:  Can't be bought, gives +2 Actions, usually draws at least 4 cards.  Seriously, Madman is so crazy that it doesn't fit any archetype.
Menagerie:  Does not readily self-synergize except in meticulously constructed decks.  Without support, it's really not much better than a cantrip.
Vagrant:  Does not self-synergize.  Is only better than a cantrip if your deck is thoroughly junked.
Wishing Well:  Does not self-synergize.  Is only better than a cantrip with luck or good deck-tracking.

In fact, I'd group those last three into their own group, along with Apothecary, Scout, Herald, and Ironmonger:  Cantrip + draw 0-N cards [+ Bonus].
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

AJD

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2013, 02:41:53 pm »

Menagerie:  Does not readily self-synergize except in meticulously constructed decks.  Without support, it's really not much better than a cantrip.
Vagrant:  Does not self-synergize.  Is only better than a cantrip if your deck is thoroughly junked.
Wishing Well:  Does not self-synergize.  Is only better than a cantrip with luck or good deck-tracking.

In fact, I'd group those last three into their own group, along with Apothecary, Scout, Herald, and Ironmonger:  Cantrip + draw 0-N cards [+ Bonus].

Scrying Pool more than Scout, surely—Scout can draw 0 total. Then there's City, as well.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2013, 02:46:38 pm »
+2

Scrying Pool more than Scout, surely—Scout can draw 0 total. Then there's City, as well.

True, Scout wouldn't belong in that grouping very well, though Pool can also draw 0 total Kirian can't count to one.

City has +2 Actions.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 03:22:22 pm by Kirian »

amalloy

• Witch
  • Respect: +620
    • View Profile
    • Twitch stream
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2013, 02:58:49 pm »
+4

How can Scrying Pool draw 0 cards, unless your deck is already drawn?

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2013, 03:21:44 pm »

How can Scrying Pool draw 0 cards, unless your deck is already drawn?

Oh, wait, duh.  Never mind.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2013, 03:49:49 pm »

Okay, looking back at the 4 archtypes, each of them is primarily responsible for one of the vanilla actions. Only the +Buy one does not have the cantrip effect, and that is because in order to use buys well, you need to have money to buy things with. That is why it has money, I believe. Number 2, the money cantrip, is interesting because its worth is somewhere between 4 and 5, and so it cannot be priced as a normal card. I think number 2 is probably the archetype most open for new cards in, because its position allows complications to bring it to a whole number, and because there is not vanilla card for it, it cannot be strictly better than another card.

There is cantrip +Buy -- Market, Grand Market, Market Square.  A straight up cantrip +$1 is commonly agreed to be worth $4, not between $4 and $5.

AJD

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2013, 04:39:36 pm »

A straight up cantrip +$1 is commonly agreed to be worth $4, not between $4 and $5.

If it were a $4, it'd probably be a pretty strong $4, anyway.

(not like any of us have ever playtested it at that cost)

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2013, 05:07:27 pm »

Number 0: Each other player gains a Curse.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2013, 05:10:37 pm »

Number 0: Each other player gains a Curse.

That card would be impossible to price. Too strong at $3, worse than Sea Hag at $4.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2013, 06:40:30 pm »

Number 2: +1 Card, +1 Action, +$1. This is the only of the top 4 without something exactly it.
Isn't Peddler exactly that?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2013, 06:50:42 pm »

Number 2: +1 Card, +1 Action, +$1. This is the only of the top 4 without something exactly it.
Isn't Peddler exactly that?

It's not, because Peddler has that whole cost reduction thing going on that really changes how it plays.

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2013, 11:15:40 pm »
+2

<3
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 21 queries.