Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All

Author Topic: Mafia Game Category Standards  (Read 14104 times)

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
Mafia Game Category Standards
« on: October 23, 2013, 06:25:37 am »

f.ds Mafia Community Game Descriptor Definitions:

Open: A game with this label means the setup has no hidden mechanics, roles, or possibilities.  All Role PMs are public and full setup information is known before the game begins.  For an example of a Standard Open game, see: M5: Emptying the Apothecary.  For an example of a Tweaked Open game, see: M29: Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey Dinner Party.  For an example of an Invented Open game, see M28: Harry Potter Mafia.

Semi-Open:  A game with this label means the setup allows for a distinct set of possibilities, all of which are known to the players before the game starts.  While a semi-open setup should have no surprises, it also has no guarantees.  Semi-open setups usually involve a random system for determining which roles are included in the game.  For an example of a Standard Semi-Open game, see: M24: Samurai and Ninjas (C9++).  For an example of a Tweaked Open game, see: M4: Within These Estate Walls.  For an example of an Invented Semi-Open game, see ???.

Closed:  A game with this label means limited to no information about the roles, interactions, or possibilities is given before the game starts.  Generally, there are no Standard Closed or Tweaked Closed games.  For an example of an Invented Closed game, see: M25: Mean Girls.

Standard:  A game with this label means the setup is not an original creation of the mod, but is an accepted setup at mafiascum.net or has been accepted as a standard f.ds setup.

Tweaked:  A game with this label means the setup is based on an accepted Standard setup, but includes deviations from the norm.

Invented:  A game with this label means the setup is an original creation of the mod.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 09:26:48 pm by ashersky »
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia Game Category Standards
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 06:26:06 am »

As two of the more active mods and mafia community members, we would like to host a discussion that aims to reach a consensus on defining the game categories currently in use at f.ds.  By doing this, everyone benefits: mods will know what is expected of them and their games if they want it to be in a certain category; players will be know what to expect to be included (or not) when they sign up.  What follows is a breakdown of the game categories, with the defining elements as agreed upon by the two of us.  We think they are good starting points for finding a consensus.

Bastard

We're starting with the furthest out instead of with normal, because it's actually easier to define things by what they include, not by what they do not.  We feel that a game must be classified as a Bastard Game (BM) if they include any of the following:

--"false" roles (most famously millers, but also jesters, false PRs that are actually VTs, etc.)
--alignment changing, other than traitors or survivors (i.e., Cults)
--mod lying of any kind
--posting restrictions
--balance alterations mid-game (such as adding roles, modifiers, etc. for the purpose of messing with the progress of a game)

If your game includes any of the above, it is automatically a BM game.  If you can safely say it contains none of the above, move on to the next category.

Role Madness

Role Madness (RMM) is a category that generally includes more roles, variety, and creativity than a normal game.  It's defining factor is the interaction of the players through their role actions, usually but not only at night.  The line between Role Madness and Normal is fuzzy, but generally these characteristics would classify your game as RMM:

--nights take center stage in the game to diminishment of days
--no "vanilla" roles such as Vanilla Townie or Mafia Goon
--minor alignment changes, specifically traitors and survivors
--greater focus on "fun" even at a cost to "balance"
--frequent role interaction above and beyond the "normal" investigation/protection/killing triad

The keystone to an RMM game is how the players use their roles to affect the outcome of the game.  This is in contrast to a normal game, where good scumhunting during the day will always be enough for town to win.

Normal

And we come to normal games.  These are the hardest to define in spite of being the most restrictive category.  Normal games focus on the days, and the "essence" of social deception games.  The roles and their actions should not overshadow good scumhunting, normal interaction during the day in the game thread, or be able to thwart great town or scum play in thread.  The list for this category includes what "may" be part of the game, as opposed to the restrictive nature of the two categories above.

--may use a prepared set-up such as C9++
--may have fewer power roles than vanilla roles
--may be an "open" or "semi-open" set-up with all information available to the players ahead of time

Generally, if you've ruled out RMM or BM, you've got a normal game.  You should work through it in that manner, though.  Rule out the more complicated categories first, then settle here.

There are three other categories on f.ds, which are Blitz, Newbie, and Drunk.  They are self-explanatory.  We would note only that "Blitz" games are generally always "normal" games on fast forward.

We look forward to a civil discussion on these categories, and how to better define them.  We clearly disagree with most of you, so hopefully this will help.

Best,
ashersky and yuma

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 06:27:02 am »

Note, the above was a work in progress and also meant as a springboard for discussion.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 06:43:40 am »

I think we should think about having some sort of strictish convention that mods can use if they want to. Like, they can say, "We're using the [name] convention" and people will know exactly what possible roles/actions etc can be in the game. And if they don't choose to say that then expect anything that falls within the definition of normal.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 06:48:09 am »

I mentioned in the speccy my idea for a two-queue system, which I want to repeat here.

I think the normal queue should be split into a "Standard/Open Queue" and a "Invented/Closed Queue" for sign-ups.  One game from both queues should be running at any given time.  They would share the current normal game numbering system, and just take the next available number when it opens for sign ups.  Then they become one list again in the finished games section.

We'd need to define those two categories, and RMM might fold into the second, but it would help ensure mods meet player expectations.

I would add that I think all new mods should follow a progression of: back-up/co-mod with an experienced mod, then host a Standard/Open Game.  After that, invented games, RMM, BM are all fair game.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 06:50:28 am »

Is the point here to define what mods are allowed to do to have their game in a particular queue, or what the expectation should be unless stated otherwise?

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 07:02:43 am »

Is the point here to define what mods are allowed to do to have their game in a particular queue, or what the expectation should be unless stated otherwise?

I don't know...both?

I think it would be good to have clearer definitions for the types of games we mod, both for mods and players.  It would help avoid the "huh, I thought I signed up for an X game but it turned out to be more like a Y in my opinion" situations.

I do think that means restricting what can be included in a category, and the categories become more liberal as you move away from "Standard/Open."

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2013, 07:40:44 am »

/tag for later discussion.  I have thoughts on this, already broached elsewhere to some extent; don't have time to post here at this point but will in the near future.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2013, 08:32:36 am »

/tag

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2013, 08:46:12 am »

I think the main problem was that the norms Yuma and ashersky had were different than the norms the majority of the players had, due to time playing in the community. For a lot of the newer players this game was way out of left feld. Having no vts was a shock to me, at least.

I don't know that anything needs to change, other than players being more aware that there's a difference between open and closed set up games.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2013, 08:55:01 am »

I'm in agreement with yuma and ash.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2013, 10:08:58 am »

/tag

I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2013, 10:21:01 am »

I'm still working through the Mod QT to read all the PMs for M31 - it still reads as RMM to me, but very lite RMM. To the point where it might be up to the mods to call it normal or RMM, and I might disagree, but I wouldn't feel the game was mislabeled after the choice is made.

Yuma talked a lot about how RMM games can be really out there, and this game wasn't, so it's normal. I contend that RMM games can be really out there, and this RMM game wasn't, but both are RMM. (though the distinction is now blurry enough on this one I don't mind nearly as much)

To me, the defining feature of RMM is everyone has a role. In a normal game, therefore, I'm expecting a decent number of VTs/goons. To not see that in M31 is what really threw me. That realization on D2 (or whenever it was) that everyone had a role made the game clearly RMM to me, because that is where I was coming from.

I don't think we need to split the normal queue. Games are closed, semi-open, or open, and that's fine. It's already easy to tell which kind a game is before signing up - it's impossible to accidentally sign up for one you don't like unless you're really not paying attention.

And for the record, I think that in the past f.ds has allowed some RMM games to be played as normal, and I think that's a misleading precedent. I'd rather sort the situation out now than justify more mis-classifications based on that fact.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2013, 11:00:18 am »

I agree with everything Voltaire says.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2013, 11:09:47 am »

I'm not discussing RMM games until RMM 9 is over, so I request that we withhold judgment on them until then.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2013, 11:23:20 am »

I think the mods of recent RMM games have done an awesome job lately, and their games have been veering away from bastard, and that's pushing the rmm/normal line further towards normal and the reaction to m31 is a result of that.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2013, 11:56:01 am »

Oh, yuma - I saw in the mod QT you were thinking of changing AD to get it in a certain category. Please don't!!! I want that game to be your vision, and whatever category it goes into is the category it goes into, and I'm playing either way.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2013, 12:15:51 pm »

On a specific note, mafia scum says normal games shouldn't have survivors. Personally I have no problem including survivors.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2013, 12:18:23 pm »

On a specific note, mafia scum says normal games shouldn't have survivors. Personally I have no problem including survivors.

Agreed.

Also, I do agree with having a ninja requiring having a watcher/tracker, and other pairings, unless the setup is open (I always think open and closed are the opposite of what they mean - I mean the one where you know all the possible roles) like C9++.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2013, 01:52:25 pm »

Cross posting

To me, a normal game has to be balanced. We are counting it for a victory tally spreadsheet, so everybody should have a decent enough chance (though not equal chance) of winning, based primarily on normal mafia strategy rather than some other consideration (like, solving flavor related puzzles, a la eHalcyon).

Now, not all of our "normal" games have kept to this impeccably. I think this game was clearly better balanced than Mafia XIX (which wasn't a really imbalanced game, just a game tilted in a small way toward the scum faction that did indeed win), for what's worth. Really, scum may have been underpowered in this game, considering how close it actually was and the fact that town lost so many strong PRs early.

(To my mind, there are only two games that were billed as normal games but didn't end up balanced enough to deserve to be counted: Blitz2 and Mafia XVIII.)

Anyway, it's clear we need a new categorization system.

I would do this:

Blitz -- Must be normal/previously-approved/minor tweaked setup. Counts for spreadsheet.
Normal -- Must be mafiascum style setup with minor tweaks, examples: Jk++, Pick Your Poison. Counts for spreadsheet.
Invented -- Encapsulates games that strive for balance and come at least close to achieving it, but are role madness in nature. Counts for spreadsheet?
Bastard -- Everything else.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2013, 01:55:19 pm »

And now having read the thread, it looks like my recommendation is at least fairly close to what ash proposed.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2013, 01:56:29 pm »

That puts, like, almost everything we play in Invented.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2013, 01:57:48 pm »

That puts, like, almost everything we play in Invented.

Um, not true? We run regular mafiascum setups all the time.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2013, 02:06:04 pm »

Actually, invented setups that are fully open can go in the normal queue, I would say. The reason is that they are subject to scrutiny ahead of time and people know fully what they are getting into. I'm thinking Mafia XIV and XVI as examples.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2013, 02:43:52 pm »

Alright, here is what I've always thought normal games and RMM games being:

Normal games have a focus on scumhunting/day.  There isn't too much role discussion, because there shouldn't be too many roles.  To ensure this, more than 50% of the roles should be VTs/Goons.

RMM games have a focus on role interactions/night.  Most of the discussion (past D1 at least) is role discussion, because there there should be a lot of PRs.  To ensure this, everybody should be a PR/Mafia PR.

The main thing that pushed MXXXI into RMM for me was that everybody had a role, and especially that that took up the main discussion.

I think all games that are finished (including MXXXI) should stay in their categories, but all future games should fit into whatever categories we decide.  I'm fine if the community standards are different than what I made here as long as we have a community standard.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 20 queries.