Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Help! Annihilated 1-6  (Read 4194 times)

flies

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: flies
  • Statistical mechanics of hard rods on a 1D lattice
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
Help! Annihilated 1-6
« on: October 21, 2013, 12:31:59 pm »

http://innovation.isotropic.org/gamelog/201310/21/game-20131021-092152-624e8401.html

I am new to the game, and I was just slaughtered.  Here, I allowed my opponent to get the first 6 achievements all in a row.  I know I made a mistake on turn 6 when I used City States to no effect (since my opponent had less than 4 towers).

My opponent opened Clothing and it was basically catch-up from there.  I tried to match with metalworking, but didn't get the right draws, and then I used City States so I could Metalworking without sharing, but that only succeeded in letting my opponent cover my metalworking!  Ack, I am not familiar with this game! 

If there are any general principles that I am clearly lacking, then please let me know.  I think I have some grasp of the fundamentals, but I guess I have a hard time seeing how my own actions affect the game - I feel a bit like a kid who puts his checkers in front of his opponent's pieces trying to jump them without realizing that doing so just lets the opponent take my pieces.
Gotta be efficient when most of your hand coordination is spent trying to apply mascara to your beard.
flies Dominionates on youtube

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1886
    • View Profile
Re: Help! Annihilated 1-6
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 01:12:54 pm »
+1

It's hard to tell exactly what's in your hand at any given point, but someone scoring multiple 3s off Clothing on a single action is a big deal. You should if at all possible get more colors down to block that before he's scoring 3s off of Clothing. After those first 4 achievements, he can mop up almost at his leisure.

Why did you meld Tools turn 1?

Metalworking isn't really a scoring card. It makes you think it is, but really what it says is "Draw a card without a castle. Also, maybe you get a couple points."

Turn 6, even the first City States action is probably wrong -- stealing his only red card (and it's Archery, which isn't useful here anyways) gives him another Monotheism target.

flies

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 01:33:10 pm »

to block clothing.

Thanks for your comments.
Gotta be efficient when most of your hand coordination is spent trying to apply mascara to your beard.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1886
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 02:01:07 pm »
+1

to block clothing.

Right, but he didn't have a blue card yet. If you're going to meld a card and draw, you might as well draw first; that might change what you want to meld. (And I'm pretty sure it would in this case.)

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 09:16:49 pm »

From a hand of Mysticism and Tools, neither would have helped. But you can also look at this way: after turn 1, your opponent has no cards in hand and 2 colors that you don't have. On his next turn, either he can score 4 points with Clothing or he can try to draw a third color and score 2 or 3 points with Clothing. So if you had drawn first and picked up Mysticism (which is no help), then you know at that point that the best choice is to draw again and hope for a green or a yellow card.

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 03:19:15 am »
+1

to block clothing.

That succeeded in a way: 123 went on to draw four times instead of further pursuing his clothing/scoring scheme. Had you followed dondon151's advice to draw twice (which would have given you Sailing), he might have scored on turn 2. I think you should have melt Canal Building the instance you've drawn it. With Metalworking, you play catching up. This is a recipe for disaster as it only leads to you just arriving in time to see your opponent achieve, hare-and-hedgehog style. Rather try to succeed at a different trade: teching up, tucking, melding and splaying for a phat board etc.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

ipofanes

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 03:31:44 am »

Oh, and
http://innovation.isotropic.org/gamelog/201310/21/game-20131021-092152-624e8401.html

I am new to the game, and I was just slaughtered.
get used to this. Not to being new to the game, but ...

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2013, 03:42:14 am »

That succeeded in a way: 123 went on to draw four times instead of further pursuing his clothing/scoring scheme. Had you followed dondon151's advice to draw twice (which would have given you Sailing), he might have scored on turn 2.

I don't see how that could be considered any sort of success, nor do I see any reason for him to play turn 2 differently whether flies melded Tools or not.

ipofanes

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2013, 05:08:33 am »

That succeeded in a way: 123 went on to draw four times instead of further pursuing his clothing/scoring scheme. Had you followed dondon151's advice to draw twice (which would have given you Sailing), he might have scored on turn 2.

I don't see how that could be considered any sort of success, nor do I see any reason for him to play turn 2 differently whether flies melded Tools or not.

Right, my bad, thought 123 had Writing on the board.

Generally, though, if your opponents uses basic draw and meld actions repeatedly it means "any sort of success" to me as this means her Dogma actions are less efficient than basic actions.

Kahryl

• Explorer
  • Respect: +155
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2013, 10:07:31 am »

Given how easy it is to start + play games on isotropic, many of the players here have played hundreds of games. Don't feel bad about being slaughtered!

flies

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2013, 10:43:56 am »

thanks for all the feedback and kind words!
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 21 queries.