Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: coin tokens better with quantized price points?  (Read 1105 times)

flies

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: flies
  • Statistical mechanics of hard rods on a 1D lattice
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
coin tokens better with quantized price points?
« on: October 15, 2013, 04:13:11 pm »
+8

I was just thinking about how a single Plaza/CsM helps big money and why that might be and came up with this: Coin tokens are very good at pushing you above a threshold.  If there are fewer threshholds (i.e. cards you want at 3,4,5,6), then this benefit of the tokens is less important. 

Contrariwise, tokens are useful for big money, which generally wants a few $4/5 cards and then exclusively $3/6/8 - duchies too, but by then you probably don't want gold so you're still quantized, now to 2/5/8.  Engines where there are few/no good $3/4 engine parts will also see this benefit.  Good $2s will also reduce the need for tokens by allowing you to get the most out of your buys.

Maybe this isn't particularly insightful, but it seems as though it should be a useful guide to determining how many token producing cards you want, if any.  I'm just talking about money smoothing here, which is nothing new, but I think it's better to conceptualize "smoothing" as "quantizing".
Gotta be efficient when most of your hand coordination is spent trying to apply mascara to your beard.
flies Dominionates on youtube
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 20 queries.