Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Caporegime (Gathering Interest)  (Read 1491 times)

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
    • View Profile
Caporegime (Gathering Interest)
« on: October 11, 2013, 11:10:03 pm »

My attempt at making a self-serving cooperative standalone Mafia game (and isn't that quite the niche to fill!). Just trying to gather interest at this point, but it will be run if enough people want to play.

Interested
Mail-mi
chairs

Rules

Overview:
Each player represents a member of the crime syndicate known as the Mafia. The game will be played in a number of phases during which players negotiate, lie, backstab, and occasionally murder to advance their position or eliminate their rivals. Each player will know only their own Rank, but at the end of a predetermined number of phases, everyone’s position will be revealed. Whichever player is Ranked #1 is the winner.

Pre Game: Players will be randomly assigned a character in the Mafia. Each Mafia member is assigned a certain rank in the Mafia and has their own supply of tools. Tools are various 1-shot powers (Bulletproof, Roleblocker, Role Cop, etc.) that Mafia players know and love. The farther down a player’s starting rank, the more (or more powerful) tools that character will start with. And inversely, the higher up your starting rank the fewer (or weaker) tools you’ll have. Each player will also receive links to various quicktopics. They will have one that matches up with every other player in the game and may post as much or as little as they’d like in them. Once everyone has received and confirmed their role, the first phase will begin.

During a Phase: A phase will last 96 hours (4 real-life days). This is the Phase Deadline. During this time, all quicktopics will be open and players may talk with one another in them. If someone wants a quick topic for more people than just two, they can let me know and I’ll set another one up. You can say whatever you’d like as long as you don’t share quicktopics, don’t quote mod-supplied information, and adhere to the Civility Pledge. You also cannot discuss the game outside of the provided QTs to anyone but me.

Taking an Action: By the end of each phase players must PM and tell me what Action they’d like to take (failure to do so will result in a No Action). Each player will be able to take the Action associated with their given Rank # or an action from any of the Ranks below it. But in almost all circumstances, you’ll want to use the highest ranked action available to you. As long as you aren’t ranked last or first, you may instead take the Usurp action.

Usurp: Choose one player. As long as they are exactly one Rank above you, you will go up one Rank and they will be sent down to the lowest rank. If you choose wrong, you’ll be sent to the lowest Rank.

All actions will be resolved in the order of Usurp, then the first ranked action, then the second ranked action, etc. down to the last ranked action.

Using Tools:
In addition to taking an action, players may use any number of their tools. The exact function of each tool varies greatly. There is no way to obtain additional tools so once they’re used they cannot be used again. Your own tool will be resolved entirely based on your Rank and in a similar fashion as your Action.

End of a Phase: At the end of the Phase Deadline, all quicktopics will be momentarily locked while I process any Actions and Tools used during that Phase. Any actions or tools submitted after the deadline has passed will be processed in the next phase instead. After processing the actions, I’ll post in-thread which players (if any) were killed and the name(s) of the player(s) that were Usurped (if any). I’ll post just their name- not who did the Usurping or what their Rank was. Killed players will be removed from the game. They can no longer post in quicktopics or submit any actions/use any tools.

Each player will then move up in Rank to the strongest open position. This will be resolved just like the Action or the Tools, starting with the player in the first rank and moving down from there. Everyone will be notified of their new Rank in the Mafia, quicktopics will be unlocked, and the next phase will begin.

End of the Game: At the end of the last Phase (or only one player is standing) the game will end. The remaining players’ Ranks will be publicly posted and whoever is Ranked #1 will be declared. Second, Third, etc. place will be given out as well.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 01:02:05 am by Archetype »

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia: Within the Mafia
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 04:50:05 pm »

Sounds interesting.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 04:51:34 pm by Grujah »

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 06:29:19 pm »

Sounds interesting.
Yay, someone's interested!  :D

I have a feeling that it'll need some different element. Either that, or give the players Mafia-like powers (Roleblocker, Role Cop, etc.). I'll try to set it up like it the latter and try to make it more of a mafia spinoff than a complete game. I'll see what I can do and post some sort of signups if people are interested.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 06:53:11 pm »

You need to make sure that n-th (n being the number of players) player has an actual chance to get to one, here it seems impossible for him to do so. He needs to be on the wagon, but he will never become the first guy cause somebody higher on wagon will overtake him.

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
  • An enormous walrus the size of Antarctica
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2013, 07:03:51 pm »

When I first read this, my thought was a game of Mafia where a subsection of the scum is actually metascum, with an additional QT and different win condition from the primary scum. But of course the primary scum doesn't know who's who. And then there could be metametascum...it's scum all the way down.

Of course you'd need exponential numbers of people to make this feasible at all.
My Dominion videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WalrusMcFishSr   <---Bet you can't click on that!

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2013, 07:35:13 pm »

@Grujah: Yeah, voting probably won't work. Instead, some of the ranks will allow you to kill or kick people out of the Mafia. So, if you're #1 you can kick someone out of the Mafia, or something like that.

@Walrus: Haha, a bit of a different game than Mafia. More of only help yourself, but you can team up or whatever. I'll design it for a small number of players (7-ish?), but if people are interested, I can probably expand it.

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
Re: Caporegime
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 10:43:27 pm »

OP updated with the Game Rules. An exact setup has not been posted because I don't know how many are interested in playing this. Once I figure out how many people want to play (I'll need at least 7) I'll post the exact setup and we'll go from there. Until then, if you have any questions or suggestions let me know!

No matter how quickly this gains interest, it will not start until after Survivor is over.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
    • View Profile
Re: Caporegime (Gathering Interest)
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 12:17:40 am »

I really shouldn't.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 12:26:49 am »

I also realize how I describe the ranking is a bit confusing.

This is what it'll look like:

So the farther you go down, the 'lower' your rank will be, even though it's number is gradually increasing.

chairs

• Young Witch
  • Why don't you have a seat over there...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2013, 01:29:59 pm »

/in

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2013, 01:02:22 am »

Bump?

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2013, 09:55:09 am »

/tag
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 19 queries.