Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Tiny note on duchess  (Read 2530 times)

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
Tiny note on duchess
« on: November 11, 2011, 06:32:07 pm »
+1

The duchess's spy ability is slightly more likely to help your opponent than you, as it's more likely that your opponent has some means of drawing his top card during his next turn than that you do during this one (since you've played a terminal action) and there's a general principle in dominion that the sooner something good happens, the better*. This should not normally affect anyone's decision of whether or not to buy/gain duchess.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
Re: Tiny note on duchess
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 08:14:26 pm »
+1

Pirate ship, Noble Brigand, Oracle, Tribute, etc, all turn that on its head though.  Jester is lots of fun.  You sure you want to leave gold on top of your deck?  Maybe I have a jester, maybe i don't, bwahahaha.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 08:19:54 pm »

I really wish Duchess had all players reveal the top card of their deck.

hobo386

• Salvager
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 08:55:28 pm »

Pirate ship, Noble Brigand, Oracle, Tribute, etc, all turn that on its head though.  Jester is lots of fun.  You sure you want to leave gold on top of your deck?  Maybe I have a jester, maybe i don't, bwahahaha.
Especially with duchess, none of those are really that powerful. Pirate ship is weakened because they can discard their treasure to get it away from you.  Noble brigand is pretty much the same because it lets them choose what cards you're attacking.  Same with oracle, and tribute isn't so much of an attack, and you don't gain anything from them replacing that card. And while Jester is a decent card, it doesn't really matter what they leave on their deck.  If it's a gold, you win; if it's a copper or a curse, you win because they get another.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2019
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 09:58:57 pm »

And while Jester is a decent card, it doesn't really matter what they leave on their deck. If it's a gold, you win; if it's a copper or a curse, you win because they get another.

But if it's a Silver, you only win a little. And if it's a card with an empty pile, you do nothing but discard their good card. It often doesn't matter much, but it also sometimes does.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 03:57:55 am »

I wouldn't feel comfortable building a strategy around Duches with a Stealer or Copier, needing to have a Village to play them both.

Those stealers and copiers work a lot better with Spy.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

hobo386

• Salvager
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2011, 10:35:22 am »

And while Jester is a decent card, it doesn't really matter what they leave on their deck. If it's a gold, you win; if it's a copper or a curse, you win because they get another.

But if it's a Silver, you only win a little. And if it's a card with an empty pile, you do nothing but discard their good card. It often doesn't matter much, but it also sometimes does.
Either way, it doesn't matter much, since your opponent gets to chose, and you don't get to know what they are choosing.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 21 queries.