Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Game Selection  (Read 15033 times)

Randal FTW

• Scout
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
Game Selection
« on: June 18, 2011, 08:07:02 am »

Ive always used the auto matcher to get games and I end up declining fairly often because I dont enjoy some decks. Anyone else do this or do you just take what comes?
With No Power Comes No Responsibility

Mean Mr Mustard

• Witch
  • First to 5000 Isotropic wins
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
Re: Game Selection
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 08:13:09 am »

I usually avoid playing against people who decline any set.  I always avoid playing against people who set certain cards.  I do not mind it if someone bans a few nasty cards.  On the whole though random all the way.
Jake <a href=http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201203/17/game-20120317-030206-6456f97c.html>opening: opening: Silver / Jack of All Trades</a>
<b>IsoDom1 Winner:  shark_bait
IsoDom2 Winner: Rabid
Isodom3 Winner: Fabian</b>
Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalie ar Atanatári, Utúlie'n auré!

Personman

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +62
    • View Profile
    • My Friendfeed
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 09:38:16 am »

I used to not play with Alchemy, and I still think it's a terrible expansion on the whole, but now my game initiation process goes like this:

1. Check "Identical starting hands"
2. Remember that I don't have to check "use point tracker" since it is already checked for me because I use the extension too
3. Check the box next to the signed-in player with the highest level and click "Propose game with"
4. Click "yes" without looking at the spread, unless I'm in a rush in which case sometimes I'll skip spreads that look really slow, or unless I'm in an anti-possession mood, in which case I'll skip games that have Possession in them
5. Wait for a few seconds, and then decline so I can see if anyone new has logged in.

So by the way, what's up with #5? Is it true for everyone else that the lobby doesn't update while you're waiting for an accept? It's really, really annoying >_>
My youtube channel. Isoptropic games with commentary!

PetterTB

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 10:05:44 am »

I usually avoid playing against people who decline any set.  I always avoid playing against people who set certain cards.  I do not mind it if someone bans a few nasty cards.  On the whole though random all the way.

I'm pretty much the same.

What do you guys think about playing people way below your lvl.? I feel sort of bad when declining people, but lvl. 3s that are obviously underrated, dont they really eat out of my lvl. ?

danshep

• Navigator
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 10:38:32 am »

If they're actually an under-rated level 3, losing to them shouldn't harm your ranking much because the variance on their ranking will be very high.

Unless it's a level 0 that played a lot of crap games and has just finally learnt how to play and is working there way up from a bad history, it shouldn't harm your trueskill (sorry to everybody I played on my way from a firm level 0 to my current ~10 ranking).

rspeer

• Witch
  • Respect: +877
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 01:54:13 pm »

I'm pretty much the same.

What do you guys think about playing people way below your lvl.? I feel sort of bad when declining people, but lvl. 3s that are obviously underrated, dont they really eat out of my lvl. ?

Pick and choose your games for what you'll enjoy, not for what they'll do to your level. In TrueSkill, you should always get a better expected value from playing a game than from not playing it, unless your skill is really inflated somehow.

I don't like to decline challenges, because I don't want to be exclusive. Even so, I'll often decline games with level-0 players, because those often end up as "teaching games" against rank newbies who play slowly. (The worst part is the newbies who don't want to be taught. "no thanks, I'll keep playing my way, more copper please"). But I try not to decline any others. Level 1 means you've proven you can beat the worst players, and that promises a reasonable game much more than level 0.

PetterTB

• Chancellor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 04:46:21 pm »

That's good to hear :) I've allways accepted challenges and it sounds like I should continues doing that :)

Axe Knight

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 10:39:19 pm »

In principle, I agree that you should just have fun and not worry about what the TrueSkill(TM) says.  Take them as they come and see what happens.  However, lately, I notice I've been stuck between Levels 20-22, so I've been intentionally trying to play higher level people.  Some don't take it so well that you decline their game, so I wish there was a parameter like, "Only players between levels X and X." 
An Axe Knight draws near!  Command?

Personman

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
    • My Friendfeed
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2011, 11:43:07 pm »

...so I wish there was a parameter like, "Only players between levels X and X."

This would make the automatch feature usable for me, and would make me very happy.

krawhitham

• Baron
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2011, 07:31:52 am »

Ive always used the auto matcher to get games and I end up declining fairly often because I dont enjoy some decks. Anyone else do this or do you just take what comes?

Don't use auto match then... I realise I am having a go at you (and others) with my comments here but it really is very frustrating to use auto match and have players decline you.

Basically if you want to play with/without certain cards and against players of a certain skill level you can do this manually. It is really very frustrating to be declined once and then be matched against the very same player straight away (even worse when they accept the 2nd one..).

Perhaps the automatch interface could be improved, but until it is I would ask players to either accept the luck of the draw or not to use automatch.

Personman

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
    • My Friendfeed
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2011, 01:59:08 pm »

I don't use automatch because it is so likely to match me against a much lower-ranked player, but I'm not sure you can assume that everyone agrees with you about what it's for. There's no written instruction anywhere saying that it's for people who want to play the first random set with the first player it suggests.

I really don't understand your point about it being worse when they accept the 2nd one. You're in a game with a random spread with a random person. Isn't that what you wanted?

Death to Sea Hags

• Thief
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2011, 02:34:16 pm »

I think it's fine. I absolutely hate Possession, and say so in my status message - I'll always decline a game with that card. That should be enough.

If you can't explain your reasons in your status message, <i><b>then</i></b> you're probably too picky.  I agree with the "match according to level" suggestion.

Randal FTW

• Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2011, 02:52:55 pm »

Don't use auto match then... I realise I am having a go at you (and others) with my comments here but it really is very frustrating to use auto match and have players decline you.

Basically if you want to play with/without certain cards and against players of a certain skill level you can do this manually. It is really very frustrating to be declined once and then be matched against the very same player straight away (even worse when they accept the 2nd one..).

Perhaps the automatch interface could be improved, but until it is I would ask players to either accept the luck of the draw or not to use automatch.

I really dont get this view. What is so frustrating about waiting 5 seconds for a new deck/opponent and why would accepting the second one be even worse?

I do agree the interface could be improved tho,  I would like to see an option to block ppl from inviting you as some people like to invite everyone in the room to a game and that is annoying.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 02:57:21 pm by Randal FTW »

rls22

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2011, 03:17:07 pm »

I often have low-ranked players reject me on automatch multiple times (indicating it's not really about the cards).  I totally understand the desire to not want to play against a much-higher-ranked person all the time, but, if auto-match suggests a game between us three times in a row, and you decline 3x, that's pretty annoying.  If all you're going to do is keep declining, just unclick the auto-match for 20 seconds.  Or, heaven forbid, just actually propose a game with someone you want to play with.  I do tend towards the belief that the auto-match should be for people who are pretty open to playing any card set and any opponent (though, I don't mind someone declining a set once, because it has a much-hated card or something).  Otherwise, just propose a game.

Randal FTW

• Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2011, 03:33:51 pm »

Yeah I just wanna be clear I dont deny auto matches based on rank and only do it because sometimes Im not in the mood to play a colony game or another card that will totally dictate the game (chapel, tournament). What game I wanna play really just depends on the mood im in or how much time I have.

I have never played Dominion offline so im thinking this might not be in the spirit of the game as you wouldnt normally deal out a deck and then redraw because someone didnt like it?

So I guess my question is: Is this bad etiquette on my part? Does it really bother people or is it just mildly annoying?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 03:36:47 pm by Randal FTW »

Personman

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
    • My Friendfeed
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2011, 03:50:19 pm »

My group totally redeals spreads that look awful sometimes. Don't worry about it.

PetterTB

• Chancellor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2011, 03:54:23 pm »

My group totally redeals spreads that look awful sometimes. Don't worry about it.

Here as well. Or someone may go "we played with <card> the last 3 games!" or "I don't really like <card>" and we pick a new one :)

krawhitham

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2011, 04:33:21 pm »

I really dont get this view. What is so frustrating about waiting 5 seconds for a new deck/opponent and why would accepting the second one be even worse?

Because it feels like some players cherry pick the decks they like. I just take it as it comes for auto match, and there are a few cards I dislike.

I have no issues with players liking/disliking certain cards, just don't use auto match to choose your games if this is the case.

rls22

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2011, 05:03:55 pm »

Yeah, offline, my friends use a variety of ways to pick cards, and it's rarely totally random (e.g., random set but everyone gets one veto, everyone picks 2-3 cards they want, one person curates a game, random set but we adjust based on judgment).  Partially because it takes so much longer to play offline, that you want to make sure it's an interesting set, and one that people aren't going to hate.  For awhile, we said, no curse giving attacks unless there's at least one reaction card or trashing card (because if there wasn't, those games usually took forever and weren't that fun).  But, online, I don't care as much because the games are quicker, and if the game is not particularly interesting or fun, it usually only lasts 10 min. 

I think it's totally fine to decline an auto-match game once because you don't feel like playing a boring set or a set with pirate ship or whatever.  But if you have so many "no" criteria that you're declining several games in a row (particularly with the same person), then I would suggest that you just propose a game and put in your criteria.  It's not a big deal, but it does delay the other person from starting a game (which is basically the problem automatch was trying to fix, as I understand it -- it took too long to get a game started).

tko

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2011, 03:43:35 pm »

I mostly use the auto-match.  When I encounter the person who declines multiple times in a row, and we keep getting re-auto-matched, I am usually the one to unclick auto-match and wait until I see that decliner get paired up elsewhere.  It seems when I use auto-match and Prohibit: Point tracker, I still get paired up with point-tracking players... not sure if it's a bug, feature, or 3rd party point tracker that isotropic doesn't detect.

Personman

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
    • My Friendfeed
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2011, 03:03:34 am »

Isotropic has it's own point tracker in 'info' and that's the only point tracker it can do anything about. I don't know if there's a bug (I doubt it); if you're seeing the chat message announcing the point tracker, that's drheld's extension and automatch won't be able to avoid it.

If the options are set generously, you can type !disable to disable the extension for this game; otherwise you can tell what you're getting into by checking your opponent's status message before you accept. If it says 'Auto▼Count' then they are using the extension and have disallowed disabling, and you probably shouldn't accept a match with them.

All that said, give the point counter a try! It lets you make much more meaningful and informed decisions during the endgame, and it's all public information anyway. Even without the point counter, your opponent could always just be writing it down (I sure did before the extension showed up).

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2011, 04:09:20 am »

Isotropic has it's own point tracker in 'info' and that's the only point tracker it can do anything about. I don't know if there's a bug (I doubt it); if you're seeing the chat message announcing the point tracker, that's drheld's extension and automatch won't be able to avoid it.

If the options are set generously, you can type !disable to disable the extension for this game; otherwise you can tell what you're getting into by checking your opponent's status message before you accept. If it says 'Auto▼Count' then they are using the extension and have disallowed disabling, and you probably shouldn't accept a match with them.

All that said, give the point counter a try! It lets you make much more meaningful and informed decisions during the endgame, and it's all public information anyway. Even without the point counter, your opponent could always just be writing it down (I sure did before the extension showed up).

I will try my hardest not to get into a match with you in the future. If I forget about this and I challenge you, please politely refuse.

Death to Sea Hags

• Thief
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2011, 10:00:03 am »

I set my counter without the disable option - but then I try to always select "Require point counter", or at least "don't care" for auto-match.  It's in my status msg. I depend on it too much, and I feel blind without it.  But then, I just do that to handicap my ftf play with my kids.  :)

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2011, 10:25:52 am »

We definitely should discuss this Point-Counter-thing more deeply...

guided

• Jester
  • Respect: +94
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2011, 10:38:45 am »

You can decline games with automatch? I guess I'll just keep on not using it then :P

I play random games, and the only benefit I can see for me in automatch (vs. just proposing to people as they enter the lobby) is if it could force a random game without the possibility of declining it. I really wish there were some way to do that on isotropic, like "we agree to play a randomly drawn game no matter what. now pick the cards." I've never declined an isotropic game based on the cards drawn, and if somebody else declines because of the cards I won't play a different game with them. I'm not interested in playing Dominion with constructed sets--and even if you decline one game in a hundred because you don't like that set, you're simply not playing random games--I'd prefer to learn how to take whatever board comes at me.

If that's not how other folks have fun playing, that's fine for them.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2011, 11:10:32 am »

and even if you decline one game in a hundred because you don't like that set, you're simply not playing random games

It's random, it's just another distribution ;P

Randal FTW

• Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2011, 11:32:08 am »

and even if you decline one game in a hundred because you don't like that set, you're simply not playing random games

Pretty much this.

Im not trying to set a deck towards something that benefits me its just that at certain times I dont feel like playing a possession game or a chapel game or a tournament game or maybe I dont have the time for a colony game (this is probably a lie, I have no life). Thats why I have such a hard time understanding why people are so against people denying matches. I mean if you deny someone it almost always rematches you to the same person with a new deck within seconds. I can understand if it happens over and over vs the same person but once or maybe twice doesnt really seem like a huge issue.

I appreciate everyones input and it seems that even tho some people dont approach the game the same way, no one really has a problem with it other than they wont play me  ::) 
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 11:34:27 am by Randal FTW »

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2011, 11:38:57 am »

As someone who plays with specific constraints, I sympathize with those that are looking only to play games that they find enjoyable. On the other hand, it is very annoying when someone repeatedly and constantly denies auto-match games because they have extremely specific requirements.  I've seen "!saboteur !tournament !swindler !king's court !possession" in someone's status; if you are that particular, just propose custom games, which is what I tend to do.  Otherwise we will sit there for hours as you decline every auto-matched game because at least one of the 10 cards was in your giant list of never-play cards.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 11:40:28 am by theory »

guided

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2011, 12:00:05 pm »

Specifying 10 precise cards is also random by a very strict definition of the word, if we're going to be in the business of pretending not to understand each other.

tabako

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2011, 11:52:40 am »

You can decline games with automatch? I guess I'll just keep on not using it then :P

I play random games, and the only benefit I can see for me in automatch (vs. just proposing to people as they enter the lobby) is if it could force a random game without the possibility of declining it. I really wish there were some way to do that on isotropic, like "we agree to play a randomly drawn game no matter what. now pick the cards." I've never declined an isotropic game based on the cards drawn, and if somebody else declines because of the cards I won't play a different game with them. I'm not interested in playing Dominion with constructed sets--and even if you decline one game in a hundred because you don't like that set, you're simply not playing random games--I'd prefer to learn how to take whatever board comes at me.

This is how I prefer to play, but I do use automatch because I find it that much easier to find games. In my experience, not that many people are declining auto-match games based on the board. Most people instantly accept and those that decline normally decline every game against me (I think they don't want to play against somebody significantly higher ranked than them). I would love an option that forced an auto-accept, though.

krawhitham

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2011, 04:38:51 pm »

This is how I prefer to play, but I do use automatch because I find it that much easier to find games. In my experience, not that many people are declining auto-match games based on the board. Most people instantly accept and those that decline normally decline every game against me (I think they don't want to play against somebody significantly higher ranked than them). I would love an option that forced an auto-accept, though.

I'd go the other way and say if you sign up for auto match and then decline you have a 30 second "ban" from auto-match (it keeps you signed up but will not give you a new game for 30 seconds). The FAQ states:

No constraints are used for auto-match games, you always get the "default" selection (which is a random set of 10 chosen from all the available cards).

Either you want a random game or you don't.

rod-

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +49
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2011, 04:52:33 pm »

There does need to be something precluding people from getting repeatedly matched vs people they don't want to, but i dont think this is it.  The reason i refuse 90% of the time is because I sat at the automatch screen for 20 seconds waiting but the other guy never accepted due to being afk. 

(10% of the time it's because I have to leave, or because i have 15 minutes and its a colony game)

ImperialStout

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2011, 05:24:06 pm »

There are also boards which are simply very high variance.  It's not much fun to lose in a board with Mountebank, KC, Chapel because your opponent went first and started 5/2.  I wouldn't look askance at an opponent who turned down an automatch like that, despite the fact that I personally will take almost anything (exception:  when automatched against someone with no ranking in a board with possession and KC I will sometimes turn it down).  That being said, if someone declines an automatch for no apparent reason I will usually decline repeated automatches with them or pull myself out of the queue for 30 seconds.

krawhitham

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2011, 09:08:10 pm »

There are also boards which are simply very high variance.  It's not much fun to lose in a board with Mountebank, KC, Chapel because your opponent went first and started 5/2.

This very thing happened to me today, my opponent had a 5/2 split with Mountebank. But those are your breaks in Dominion. At some stage in the futue it would be lovely to see an interface where I could ask to be matched to a game and there was an option of Yes, No and Negotiate. Negotiate simply meaning "I want a game but I'd like to discuss the deck" - perhaps each player can select a card they would like to change?

But until then I'll just take automatch games as they come with no complaints. It's a tad ungrateful for me to moan and whine about a system that is being provided for FREE and I can manually select my games if I dislike it.

randomdragoon

• Salvager
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2011, 08:25:10 pm »

I'll autoaccept any game on automatch. I can see arguments for why some people would want to reject some sets, but if you need to do more than one rejection in a row I feel you should not be using automatch.

krawhitham

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2011, 09:37:29 pm »

I played earlier today and was subjected to six auto match rejects in a row (mostly the same 2 players). From my perspective I feel like rejections are on the rise, I have a suspicion it is because I'm a Level 0 and players don't want to waste their time against someone who won't improve their precious ranking.

Seriously, what is the point in using this feature when you dont want a random game against any opponent who has selected an automatch?

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2011, 01:06:53 am »

^ Probably because people are tired of proposing games and waiting for afkers to time out.

rspeer

• Witch
  • Respect: +877
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2011, 02:08:02 am »

I played earlier today and was subjected to six auto match rejects in a row (mostly the same 2 players). From my perspective I feel like rejections are on the rise, I have a suspicion it is because I'm a Level 0 and players don't want to waste their time against someone who won't improve their precious ranking.

Seriously, what is the point in using this feature when you dont want a random game against any opponent who has selected an automatch?

Automatch is too useful to give up, especially as it's the only realistic way to start a 3+ player game. (I only use it for 3p and 4p.) But I've had enough bad experiences with level-0 players that I simply will not bother playing in a game where I am the only non-zero player. I apologize for the matches I've declined because of this.

You're on this forum, so you have all the information you need to get off of level 0. Play a few games with the Big Money strategy (buy money and Provinces, add Duchies and Estates as the game gets closer to the end, add a single Smithy if it's an option), and you will certainly get to level 1.

And once you're at level 1, I'll play against you. Seriously. I don't want to be elitist, I just want to have an opponent who at least cares which card he's clicking.

krawhitham

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2011, 06:49:15 am »

Automatch is too useful to give up, especially as it's the only realistic way to start a 3+ player game. (I only use it for 3p and 4p.) But I've had enough bad experiences with level-0 players that I simply will not bother playing in a game where I am the only non-zero player. I apologize for the matches I've declined because of this.

You're on this forum, so you have all the information you need to get off of level 0. Play a few games with the Big Money strategy (buy money and Provinces, add Duchies and Estates as the game gets closer to the end, add a single Smithy if it's an option), and you will certainly get to level 1.

And once you're at level 1, I'll play against you. Seriously. I don't want to be elitist, I just want to have an opponent who at least cares which card he's clicking.

To be honest I have no idea why I'm at level 0 still... I have won several games against higher ranked players and never seem to get above 0.

I'm not disagreeing with the reasons people are giving, but that just means that automatch is not the tool for you.

You can always put requests in your status or use the chat box to ask for a specific type of player or game.

Nagetier

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2011, 07:32:16 am »

There are negative levels, but anything lower than 1 won't be displayed to other players.

Don't know whether negative levels are displayed to the user himself. To find out for sure, check the leaderboard (through the isotropic FAQ), the level is obtained by subtracting the standard deviation (plus-minus) from the expected value (first figure).

Levels also change just once per day.

krawhitham

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2011, 08:08:56 am »

There are negative levels, but anything lower than 1 won't be displayed to other players.

Don't know whether negative levels are displayed to the user himself. To find out for sure, check the leaderboard (through the isotropic FAQ), the level is obtained by subtracting the standard deviation (plus-minus) from the expected value (first figure).

Levels also change just once per day.

I'm the 1129th Level 0 player.... isn't it going to take me a good long time to achieve level 1?

Level 0 doesn't seem to differentiate between newbie and those with a low to moderate play level.

DsnowMan

• Bishop
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2011, 09:56:58 am »

You don't need to pass all those people like you would in a ladder, you just need to improve your avg score and lower your variance. I checked, you are about 10 +- 15 right now, so you are actually level -5. Win a few more games, or just play more without losing too many, and your avg will creep up or variance will tighten, and you'll be on the board.

The trueskill rating is a cruel mistress. I've been as high as 30 and as low as 15. Best not to pay too much attention to it if you want to stay sane

tko

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2011, 10:46:51 am »

I agree on the points that the rating can drive you crazy if you pay too much attention to it.

Back to the auto-match discussion, I enjoy playing as many games as I can fit in on auto-match, but then my wife generally preempts a game with, "Hey - don't play another game!" at which point I have to decline an auto-matched game.  I feel bad when that happens, but I can't please everyone (my wife and isotropic gamers)  :D

Elysium

• Steward
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2011, 11:03:16 am »

I don't think you should even be able to decline an auto-match.  It shouldn't even show you the cards, it should just put you in the game.  If you then want to quit because you don't like the cards, you should eat the loss.  When you're clicking auto-match, you are basically saying "Instead of choosing my cards and opponent, I want a random game against a random opponent," you shouldn't be going on to say "...except I don't want to play against that guy, or that card, or that card."

I play automatch all the time, and I will play any card set, with anyone that pops up, even if they are unregistered. It's really annoying when I get declined several games in a row. 

guided

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2011, 11:07:55 am »

I don't think you should even be able to decline an auto-match.  It shouldn't even show you the cards, it should just put you in the game.  If you then want to quit because you don't like the cards, you should eat the loss.  When you're clicking auto-match, you are basically saying "Instead of choosing my cards and opponent, I want a random game against a random opponent," you shouldn't be going on to say "...except I don't want to play against that guy, or that card, or that card."
I agree. If the auto-match system needs other changes to make this model useful (like the ability to specify a minimum opponent level), I think it's worth making those changes.

lefaiison

• Steward
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2011, 12:36:38 pm »

Here's a suggestion: I would propose a second "rating" or something based off auto-match only games.

Then you can set preferences -- 3 cards I prefer not to play with, Point Tracker preference, etc. 

Then auto-match would try to place you against someone near your skill level.  You cannot decline an auto-match.  If both players prefer not to play with the same card, then it is not selected.  Otherwise, the system lowers the chances of playing with a specific card, but doesn't ban it.

I'll personally play against anyone, as I'm just having fun most of the time.  But I can see others who would enjoy the game otherwise.

guided

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2011, 01:02:31 pm »

Otherwise, the system lowers the chances of playing with a specific card
This is a non-starter. I will not be forced into games if my opponents can alter the random distribution in any way without my express permission.

Zaphod

• Thief
  • Do you know where your towel is?
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2011, 03:32:24 pm »

It is annoying when the same person declines five games in a row.  That happened to me today.

I never decline based on a person's level.  I've beaten people who were level 40 or better, and I've lost to people who were level 1.  I try to ignore the rankings, because when I do, I enjoy the game a lot more.

Sometimes I will decline a game based on the set of cards.  Usually that means Possession, Goons or a potential Torturer chain; I win a decent number of games with these cards, but the attacks can get so obnoxious, and some days I just don't have the stomach for it.

Occasionally I'll decline just because the card selection is boring and the only option I can see is Big Money.  But usually I'll just play those games.

krawhitham

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2011, 04:38:06 pm »

I play automatch all the time, and I will play any card set, with anyone that pops up, even if they are unregistered. It's really annoying when I get declined several games in a row. 

Absolutely agree 100%

I keep saying it (and I will say it again) if you don't like that automatch will select a random opponent and a random set of cards then manually select your games or ask in the text box.

We'd all love to see new features for game, with automatch being able to match you to similar level players. Until then just enjoy the feature for what it is.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.228 seconds with 20 queries.