Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Beating Clothing Monument  (Read 2136 times)

eliegel34

• Golem
  • Respect: +146
    • View Profile
Beating Clothing Monument
« on: October 10, 2013, 01:51:34 am »
+1

In general you have to play badly or get crazy unlucky for your opponent to get Clothing Monument. I did both here.  I should have melded Sailing on T2. I should not have achieved 1 while not contesting his Clothing.  So this went very badly, and I think my opponent could have punished me more by delaying his achieving.  I was pretty close to leaving, since I was in such bad shape, but I figured I'd see what happened.

I did have Math, so I started teching hoping for something to destroy his score pile. I found Industrialization and built a huge board, and kept him trapped below the 5s.  I was able to make it all the way to 10 and pull Databases.  After I destroyed his score, i Mathed a 10 for the win.  This is by far the biggest comeback I've ever had in Innovation.  Not bad for a game I was gonna leave :).

http://innovation.isotropic.org/gamelog/201310/09/game-20131009-224541-bf20b88c.html

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
Re: Beating Clothing Monument
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 05:14:29 am »

The bad luck part was obviously your opponent Toolsing right into Machinery. I don't know if melding Sailing would have been prudent or if you'd rather go for the 90 per cent chance that opponent melds another [3]. Other than that, the start was not too bad for you, at least you got to score Prehistory.

Why didn't you Math Encyclopedia? Were you going for the strong [6]s? It's quite lucky that your opponent didn't achieve higher than Exploration before you managed to grab and pound Database. Industrialization was really key here as it teched up without overmelding Maths, and at the same time didn't eat anything below [6] so your opponent had to wade through all the older ages stacks.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

eliegel34

• Golem
  • Respect: +146
    • View Profile
Re: Beating Clothing Monument
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 02:05:16 am »

Why didn't you Math Encyclopedia?

I had forgotten in my frustration that I achieved 1 and thought he was 1 achievement away from winning, so I was looking for Vaccination ASAP.

I think Melding Sailing or Clothing was probably a better play, and certainly more conservative at the beginning.  Also once he had clothing down, I couldn't draw unique colors to save my life.  On my opponent's turn 4 he should have dogmaed Clothing twice to get Monument, since its unlikely I'll be able to achieve 2.  In fact, I probably wouldn't stop on Clothing until I meld a third color.  You can almost surely achieve later.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 20 queries.