Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: What to buy for $3?  (Read 3778 times)

amalloy

• Witch
  • Respect: +620
    • View Profile
    • Twitch stream
What to buy for $3?
« on: October 07, 2013, 09:56:30 pm »

I played a 3-player game IRL, and a situation came up which seemed interesting. The kingdom, with Colony, was:

• Peddler
  • Treasury
  • Feodum
  • Moneylender
  • Explorer
  • Cutpurse
  • Conspirator
  • Warehouse
  • Lighthouse
  • Embargo

With no draw, village, or +buy, we all decided to try and build a Treasury/Peddler chain to activate Conspirators, with a Moneylender to trash coppers (it later turned out that Conspirators weren't that important; nobody had more than one, electing instead to use one Platinum for money).

One player opened Moneylender/Warehouse, and was faced with a decision at turn 3 when he drew EECCC. He elected to buy a Silver, which helped in the short term, but with no way to trash it and with minimal sifting, it really clogged up his deck in the race for Colony.

So I wonder, what is the right choice here? A Silver helps now, but probably hurts later; a Warehouse helps later, when your deck is full of green, but it's hard to buy cards early or trash coppers if two Warehouse plays have gotten you down to three cards. Is it perhaps even right to buy nothing at all?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: What to buy for $3?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 10:06:14 pm »
+1

Did you consider Embargo?  It provides +$2 which can help boost you to an early Treasury, it gets out of the way after you use it so it doesn't clog like Silver, and you can maybe play it strategically depending on how you and other players have fared over contested piles (Treasury, Peddler).

I gotta wonder if a money strategy would be better than trying to chain Peddlers and Treasuries.  Lack of +Buy hurts Peddler and anything enginey in general, and it seems like it would be too much work to pick up all those components.  Not sure.  If everyone else is going for that, it might be interesting to get a few Explorers and aim for Feodum.  Admittedly, someone could Embargo Feodum to mess with you... but you could also Embargo various other piles (including Colony) to mess with them.  And if you have a Silver-bloated deck, maybe you could win out with Provinces and some Feodums, ignoring the Curses?  I don't know.

amalloy

• Witch
  • Respect: +620
    • View Profile
    • Twitch stream
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 10:26:34 pm »

You're right, we had discussed Embargo, but I forgot about it before I posted this poll. Embargo is a bit of a gamble: it might be a disappearing Silver, which is great, but if it collides with your Moneylender N times, it's a dead card for N shuffles, since you can only play one terminal at a time. It might well be worthwhile, but it's not a definite win.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 11:02:57 pm »

With no +Buy Conspirator is probably ignorable. BM would have probably done well on this board.

Powerman

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 11:20:14 pm »
+4

Embargo Colonies, maybe something else, and go Explorer - Feodum.  At least, it'd be the most fun :D
A man on a mission.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2013, 01:49:19 am »

So I wonder, what is the right choice here? A Silver helps now, but probably hurts later; a Warehouse helps later, when your deck is full of green, but it's hard to buy cards early or trash coppers if two Warehouse plays have gotten you down to three cards. Is it perhaps even right to buy nothing at all?

Peddler gets cheaper the more Warehouses you play. If you Warehouse twice and have only $3, just pick up a third Warehouse.

kn1tt3r

• Minion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2013, 03:02:04 am »
+1

With no +Buy Conspirator is probably ignorable. BM would have probably done well on this board.
The missing +buy certainly hurts, but I would try it anyway. Open Warehouse/Moneylender, get Warehouse for <4, Treasury or Conspirator at <8, 1-2 Platina at >8, and Peddlers if it comes up. Probably no Gold.

The thing is without +buy you probably don't want to build too much and green as soon as you hit 11 for the 2nd time or so. You also want to invest more into reliability than in raw power (i.e at some point probably Warehous > Conspirator at <5), because there is no point in getting huge hands with only 1 buy.

Embargo can change things though, so you have to keep that in mind at least.

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2013, 05:57:18 am »

I'd Embargo the Peddlers, and if my opponents still went for the Warehouses/Treasuries, I'd Embargo the Conspirators too. If it weren't for Embargo, Conspirator/Warehouse with Peddlers and Treasuries might be good.
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2013, 06:26:25 am »

Pick up the second Warehouse.

As your main target is $4 instead of $5, the Warehouse over Silver is the best choice I think.
If the $5's were more important, I'd probably take a Silver.

With Warehouses, the topdecking Treasuries are less important and the Conspirators become more important. I have my doubts about BM in a Colony game, maybe a tactically placed Embargo on Gold could hurt it and possible a single Cutpurse?

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2013, 06:37:39 am »

Embargo really seems to be the star of this board.
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2013, 08:32:05 am »
+3

Emabargo looks pretty useless to me. In order to gain advantage from an Embargo play, your deck has to be sufficiently different from your opponent's, otherwise they can just do whatever you do instead without having to buy and Embargo. The cantrip money thing can just switch to a BM strat if enough of the components are Embargoed, that isn't hard for them at all. So you've just spent multiple turns buying and playing Embargo for what? Maybe Embargo can mess around with the green cards, but it still doesn't look worth it to me, if Colonies are Embargoed heavily to help Feoda, just pile out Provinces instead, it's much easier with Platinum.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2013, 04:45:28 pm »

Especially since if you embargo Peddler, there's still Treasury, and if you embargo Treasury, there's still Conspirator. And if you embargo all 3, by that point, just a Platinum will do.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2127
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2013, 12:56:36 am »

I'm not the best player, but wouldn't Lighthouse be great for getting some early Peddlers (since playing a single Lighthouse gives the discount on 2 turns). It will also stop pesky Cutpurses and IIRC it isn't much worse than Silver as far as $ goes.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2013, 02:12:16 am »

Without +Buy Peddlers are a little less sparkling.

It's okay if you can get them with a single buy for $4 or $2, but they're best when you can get them as a freebie for $0 with an extra buy.

So given $4, I'd prefer Conspirator and with $2 to spend... well that's hardly ever going to happen after playing 3 actions.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2013, 12:27:57 am »

Without +Buy Peddlers are a little less sparkling.

It's okay if you can get them with a single buy for $4 or $2, but they're best when you can get them as a freebie for $0 with an extra buy.

So given $4, I'd prefer Conspirator and with $2 to spend... well that's hardly ever going to happen after playing 3 actions.

It's a bit of a fallacy to state that Peddlers are worth going for only if they can be picked up en masse for free. It's very possible in this kingdom to create a tight deck that greatly benefits from cantrip money, and a Peddler here is pretty much as good as a Treasury. Particularly since, with only 2-3 Warehouses, I wouldn't be too comfortable with picking up too many Conspirators.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2013, 01:12:57 pm »
+1

Well, the thing is: At $4 Conspirators are a highly competitive alternative, at $6 you'd get a Treasury instead. So you could get them at $2, but this requires playing 3 Action cards. After playing 3 action cards, you likely have at least $4 or $5.

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 20 queries.