Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Bug with Scheme and with Inn  (Read 17987 times)

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
Re: Bug with Scheme and with Inn
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2011, 05:58:47 pm »

My problem with the alchemist-scheme wasn't a failure of correctness. The isotropic instructions were (probably) word-for-word correct for someone who knew what they are doing. A good interface should also be clear for people who don't know exactly what they are doing.  By the very nature of alchemist/scheme I had a load of cards and options presented in from of me every turn and it took two long games for me to sort of figure out what was going on, and I'm supposed to know this stuff. In the meantime my opponent's had to wait around for ages every turn and I ended up putting the cards back in the quickest possible time rather than in any desired order. That isn't a good sign.

For anyone who hasn't done this yet the interface works as follows, if I remember correctly
(a) End the buy phase
(b) Interface asks you which action cards you want to nominate for your schemes from actions played that turn - a long list
(c) You then get asked one by one which cards you want to clear up next, from exactly the same list as in (b)
    If you select an alchemist you are presumably prompted to put it back on the deck or discard it
    If you select a scheme it presumably puts one of the cards you selected in (b) back on the deck. I wonder what the order is if you selected multiple cards?
    If you select a card you selected in (b) then it probably gets discarded, or am I wrong? I can't even be sure now.
(d) After you've cleaned up your schemes you are asked individually whether you want to put each alchemist back on your deck.
(e) I'm guessing that if you've cleared up all your alchemists the scheme is resolved automatically.
(f) Lets not think about herbalists. I always click a treasure when it asks me which card I want to clean up next, and that puts the treasure immediately into the discard.

Anyway, if you're picky in the order and choice of cards it can take a long time. I was playing alchemist/scheme with cartographer, tunnel, and margrave in one game and the order did sadly matter.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 06:15:18 pm by DG »

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2011, 06:01:55 pm »

I agree that the instructions for the Scheme/Alchemist combo cleanup are confusing.... But they also do the wrong thing; if you had tried to put them back in your desired order it wouldn't have let you.

timchen

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: allfail
  • Respect: +234
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2011, 06:06:02 pm »

But there is. You keep saying "just don't show it" as if that requires less implementation. It doesn't: now for each action card you have to make a decision, "do I show this or don't I?" instead of just showing every action card in accordance with the actual card text.

You're still making a false distinction between this judgment and the other judgments I presented. "Your judgments are more complicated than mine" does not absolve your judgment from being a judgment. Further, you're proposing isotropic change its implementation to introduce a deliberate bug that has the possibility (however remote) of conflicting with future cards.

In short: isotropic implements the actual card text, and anybody who calls it a bug is just wrong. If you believe introducing a new bug would be an improvement to the isotropic interface, I suggest you take it up with Doug.
No it doesn't. Do you really think in the internal implementation the (new) and the (old) tag always follow with the name tag of a duration card? I am almost certain it is not the case. Therefore, whenever you decided to show its name with the (new) tag, you can instead choose just to skip this card. This is strictly zero overhead: you don't have to think about non-duration cards, and for a duration card the new work you do replaces the one you did.

And the distinction is certainly there. It is only false if you want to identify the distinction I mentioned with the problem you defined. I have no intention to argue the precise way I should be phrasing it: if a decision can be made independent of any other parameters, nor is there any case one would like to make one of the choices, then it is something that can be skipped without harm, whether you want to call this a judgement or not.

And don't take me wrong, I am entirely fine with the current implementation. I just don't like someone taking this issue as if there is a clearly right and wrong way, without taking the same attitude toward the already implemented feature.

guided

• Jester
  • Respect: +94
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2011, 06:10:56 pm »

Donald has confirmed that the above text was the intention of the card.
What? No. He certainly didn't.

Also the both of you keep saying that there's no judgment being made here, but that's because you're allowing your definition of the word "judgment" to drift from example to example to get the rhetorical result you want. If I have Chancellor and Woodcutter in hand and only 1 action left, I know with absolute certainty that Woodcutter will give me +Buy while Chancellor will give me nothing beyond the +$2. I don't have to make a judgment in that sense. I do have to use my powers of reasoning (or "judgment") to determine that one card dominates the other though, the same as I have to use my powers of reasoning at the time I play Scheme to know that such and such card won't be cleaned up later.

late edit: Removed some misstatements based on forgetting the precise mechanics of Treasury, Alchemist, etc. However, note that if Herbalist is in play there are potentially (non-Action) cards such that we don't know at the beginning of cleanup whether they will be discarded. It is not hard to imagine future cards that could create similar situations with Action cards, or even uncover new information during cleanup that could change my decision about what cards get discarded.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 06:43:53 pm by guided »

guided

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2011, 06:21:35 pm »

And don't take me wrong, I am entirely fine with the current implementation. I just don't like someone taking this issue as if there is a clearly right and wrong way, without taking the same attitude toward the already implemented feature.
I believe I did take the same attitude toward the other feature? I said it would be an improvement to allow me to name a nonexistent dummy card for Wishing Well or Contraband. If there were a write-in box I wouldn't complain, but I wouldn't go out of my way asking for one.

I could start writing pseudocode... but suffice it to say I :facepalmed: at "strictly zero overhead", and this argument about compactness of implementation just doesn't matter anyway. isotropic does what the card says, and hey, if you can convince Doug to change the implementation to introduce a new bug because you think it improves the interface, more power to you. Personally I would rather isotropic did not implement bugs that could potentially break future card interactions. Such interactions seem unlikely but not totally out of the question to me.

I agree that the instructions for the Scheme/Alchemist combo cleanup are confusing.... But they also do the wrong thing; if you had tried to put them back in your desired order it wouldn't have let you.
Yes, this is a real bug on isotropic. (Unless it's been fixed recently?)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 06:25:50 pm by guided »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2011, 06:32:14 pm »
+1

Do note that there are plenty of other instances of cards not being discarded during cleanup, and indeed which cards will be discarded not being determined until later, e.g. Treasury, Alchemist, any Schemed card (if I play multiple Schemes), any treasure you might choose with Herbalist.

This just made me realize that the current implementation is NOT correct with the actual cards! If you play 2 Schemes and a Woodcutter, you should be able to choose that Woodcutter twice, once for each Scheme. But you can't!
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

guided

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2011, 06:35:52 pm »

You ninja'd my edit. On reviewing the card texts I note Schemed cards are actually discarded (then rerouted to the top of the deck). Ditto Treasury and Alchemist.

Interesting, though, I didn't know about that bug. Based on the other known Scheme bug (with Alchemist & Treasury) my guess is that the Schemed card is "set aside" in some way when you choose it, and then top-decked at the end of cleanup. I wonder whether there's a bug with Scheme + Herbalist?

edit: Oh, I see, there's just one Scheme dialog, with checkboxes that you can pick one of for each Scheme. I forgot that was how it worked with multiple Schemes... probably because I don't buy Scheme very often. Herbalist still works (in that it allows you to put back a Treasure even if you Scheme it), but it appears when you play multiple Schemes you get no control over the order the Schemed cards go back on your deck. For example, when I Schemed a Scheme and an Herbalist, then cleaned up the Herbalist first, the Scheme went on top of the deck before the Herbalist anyway.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 06:41:07 pm by guided »

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2011, 06:43:59 pm »

But there is. You keep saying "just don't show it" as if that requires less implementation. It doesn't: now for each action card you have to make a decision, "do I show this or don't I?" instead of just showing every action card in accordance with the actual card text.

You're still making a false distinction between this judgment and the other judgments I presented. "Your judgments are more complicated than mine" does not absolve your judgment from being a judgment. Further, you're proposing isotropic change its implementation to introduce a deliberate bug that has the possibility (however remote) of conflicting with future cards.

In short: isotropic implements the actual card text, and anybody who calls it a bug is just wrong. If you believe introducing a new bug would be an improvement to the isotropic interface, I suggest you take it up with Doug.
No it doesn't. Do you really think in the internal implementation the (new) and the (old) tag always follow with the name tag of a duration card? I am almost certain it is not the case. Therefore, whenever you decided to show its name with the (new) tag, you can instead choose just to skip this card. This is strictly zero overhead: you don't have to think about non-duration cards, and for a duration card the new work you do replaces the one you did
Except that you probably already had the code that told you whether the thing was new or old. Here you would still have to have code to check each card and say "if whatever, don't show it". Okay, not a big deal probably, but it is something you need.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2011, 07:15:35 pm »
+5

The players know which cards will be discarded, and so does isotropic. It's all cards except the durations played this turn. That's the only exception to the rule.
Incorrect! In fact there is no simpler way to describe the set of cards that are discarded than those words I just used to describe it in this sentence.

Here's a good way to think about this important issue.

Some guy made an online version of Dominion, in his free time, for fun.

He owes you zilch. Try not to piss him off, that's my advice.

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2011, 08:48:00 pm »

To be clear: I'm not advocating trying to convince Doug to do anything. I'm sure he knows about most of the bugs already -- it seems there are a few of them with the new cards -- and are fixing them as he sees fit. And the things in this thread are, as I noted in my first post, minor. I just took issue with some of the posters' arguments for why Scheme couldn't have been implemented any other way anyway.

Except that you probably already had the code that told you whether the thing was new or old. Here you would still have to have code to check each card and say "if whatever, don't show it". Okay, not a big deal probably, but it is something you need.
The idea would be that if it was new (which you already know), then instead of putting the word "new" next to it, don't show it in the list. So probably not more overhead than there is now.

Incorrect! In fact there is no simpler way to describe the set of cards that are discarded than those words I just used to describe it in this sentence.
I now realize that Treasures can also not be discarded after playing Herbalist. I do think that when it comes to actions, there are only durations played this turn, as of now.

Going by the thought that there are only newly played durations that will be discarded, there is no judgment. The arguments that it's a judgment call that isotropic shouldn't make for you, are essentially saying that this has to be the way it is for the reason that the user should be tricked into clicking the wrong card. :) The cards are in the list just in case you screw up and click on them.

It also seems very weird to me that the ones who are saying isotropic should not behave differently on this, because it would add overhead and it's not isotropic's job to make that call for you, are all okay with adding the the "?!" warning..? This would also involve changing isotropic in a similar way, and most certainly add overhead. And then isotropic would pretty much make that judgment call for you anyway.

However, the Herbalist thing has made me realize that there are actually other cards that aren't discarded from play during clean-up, even though they aren't actions. But that means there could potentially be other such effects later. In short, I'm not so convinced anymore that this won't happen. (With two expansions left, and only one card so far doing this, Herbalist, I don't think the chances are that high though. But who knows?)

Even if there were cards in the future that let you do something with an action card in play in Clean-up, isotropic could still refrain from showing newly played durations. Isotropic already "helps" you in this way: it lets you play all treasures that won't cause any harm. It even reminds you not to play coppers if Grand Market is available. I'd say that's more of a judgment call made on your behalf.

Also, as I said, isotropic reveals cards when it shouldn't and doesn't when it should, for convenience. Are you guys against this too?

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2011, 08:54:28 pm »

I think Doug is doing a fantastic with isotropic. That doesn't stop me getting confused when trying to sort out top of deck clean up through the text interface. I'm glad I don't have to code it to be honest.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2011, 09:39:00 pm »
+1

I think the suggested change would not necessarily be a bug. It depends on how you look at it.

Scheme wants you to make a choice: either choose a card or don't. Then, if you choose to choose a card, you need to choose which card you want to choose. But do we define choosing as choosing or clicking? Is it wrong implementation to choose the Wharf that you played this turn, and then click on 'none' because that covers all possible choices that won't result in putting a card back on deck?

In fact, the Isotropic prompt is 'optionally return an action card to your deck'. It says nothing about choosing it. If I click on 'Wharf (new)', it doesn't return it to the deck, even though it says it will. Is not doing something that it says it will do a 'bug'? I'm not saying it is (you can choose to gain a Curse when the pile is empty), but it is misleading.

Anyway, I'm not saying it should be changed. It's just another one of those Moat-esque things that confuse the heck out of you the first time and you never notice again.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2011, 09:44:49 pm »

The idea would be that if it was new (which you already know), then instead of putting the word "new" next to it, don't show it in the list. So probably not more overhead than there is now.
Except that there's no additional overhead for the way it is now, because that's the way it is now. This would be a change. Changes require work.

But the big reason is that this would be a change that would take something from following the rules exactly (as it does now) TO not following the rules exactly. And man, I just don't get why you'd do that without a really, really good reason.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2011, 09:55:58 pm »
+1

I now realize that Treasures can also not be discarded after playing Herbalist. I do think that when it comes to actions, there are only durations played this turn, as of now.
In fact that is not the case. I will just tell you, Throne Room and King's Court stay in play with the duration cards they were used on. They are not duration cards. This has been brought up in this thread already but there you go. I could not consider a phrasing like "choose a non-duration card" for Scheme because it would have done bad and confusing things with Throne Rooms.

It also seems very weird to me that the ones who are saying isotropic should not behave differently on this, because it would add overhead and it's not isotropic's job to make that call for you, are all okay with adding the the "?!" warning..? This would also involve changing isotropic in a similar way, and most certainly add overhead. And then isotropic would pretty much make that judgment call for you anyway.
A ?! would be a way to help players not make a mistake. Not listing cards that Scheme irl actually lets you pick would be depriving you of an option the real game gives you. That is how those things are different. One follows the rules and one does not.

This is not the only pointless yet accurate option Isotropic gives you. For example, when you play Oracle and decide not to discard the cards, you pick what order to put them back. Then you draw them. There could conceivably be a card that made this matter of course.

mischiefmaker

• Golem
  • Respect: +108
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2011, 11:44:42 pm »

For example, when you play Oracle and decide not to discard the cards, you pick what order to put them back. Then you draw them. There could conceivably be a card that made this matter of course.
Ooh...a Reaction from a future set, perhaps, something like "when you draw a card, you may reveal this. If you do, discard that card and draw 2 cards"?

Neat.

HP7289

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2011, 03:45:30 am »

Since the top card of your discard pile is not visible and the interface waits automatically when you have a reaction in hand, Isotropic is already different from RL games.

Rabid

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Rabid
  • Respect: +643
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2011, 04:20:59 am »

How about the interaction of KC / TR Scheme + wharf.
When you get the the scheme EOT interface is it possible to tell which of your 3 KC can be returned to top and which are going to be stuck to durations.

Is the long list of cards in the order you played them?
Twitch
1 Day Cup #1:Ednever

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2011, 04:49:03 am »

In fact that is not the case. I will just tell you, Throne Room and King's Court stay in play with the duration cards they were used on. They are not duration cards. This has been brought up in this thread already but there you go. I could not consider a phrasing like "choose a non-duration card" for Scheme because it would have done bad and confusing things with Throne Rooms.
Also, you would get into philosophical discussions if a Tactician that did not discard any turns actually is a Duration or not. You could argue that it is, since there is "Action-Duration" printed on the card, but it does not act as a Duration, especially it gets discarded and thus can get schemed.

edit:
When you get the the scheme EOT interface is it possible to tell which of your 3 KC can be returned to top and which are going to be stuck to durations.

Is the long list of cards in the order you played them
Just tried, it does not say which KCs are the old ones, but it seems as the list is order in the order you played the cards, Durations first.

Also, you would get into philosophical discussions if a Tactician that did not discard any turns actually is a Duration or not. You could argue that it is, since there is "Action-Duration" printed on the card, but it does not act as a Duration, especially it gets discarded and thus can get schemed.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 05:00:07 am by DStu »

Jeebus

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2011, 08:49:41 am »

Except that there's no additional overhead for the way it is now, because that's the way it is now. This would be a change. Changes require work.
Of course. Man I don't think this was what people were arguing when they were talking about "added overhead". We're talking about why it could or couldn't have been different in the first place. Of course any change requires work.  :P

Oh, I didn't suggest that the card text should be different. This was purely about isotropic's implementation.
I'm aware of TR/KC, I just lumped those in with durations that won't discarded in order to not make my posts even longer. (Since nobody brought them up after that one time, I assumed everybody else did this too.) I just assumed those would be marked "new" and "old" as well.

A ?! would be a way to help players not make a mistake. Not listing cards that Scheme irl actually lets you pick would be depriving you of an option the real game gives you. That is how those things are different. One follows the rules and one does not.
Of course. But I was saying that some people were arguing about two things: added programming overhead, and isotropic making a judgment call it shouldn't make. I don't see why these same people would be for the warning. (Interestingly, you're kinda saying what I've been saying: Clicking the new durations would be a mistake. So we're talking about an option that should be there for the only practical purpose of maybe making the user make a mistake.)

As for the argument that it's strictly correct the way it is now, and that's why it has to be that way. Why? As I've said, isotropic already does several things that are wrong according to the rules, for the sake of convenience. I alluded to this several times, but an example: It doesn't let you choose a card to be visible on top of your discard deck.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 09:10:56 am by Jeebus »

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2011, 01:57:01 pm »
+2

I'm aware of TR/KC, I just lumped those in with durations that won't discarded in order to not make my posts even longer. (Since nobody brought them up after that one time, I assumed everybody else did this too.) I just assumed those would be marked "new" and "old" as well.
Well 1) perhaps you can understand why making an absolute statement, having it be corrected and saying no really you're right, and then saying "oh yeah I also meant something else too" is not the height of clear communication; and 2) in fact as has been pointed out in this thread already, you can also have a duration card that does not stick around (Tactician played with no cards to discard), and for those situations you easily might want to play and pick one of them (buying Peddler). Hooray for isotropic not doing something stupid like not letting you pick duration cards played this turn!

(Interestingly, you're kinda saying what I've been saying: Clicking the new durations would be a mistake. So we're talking about an option that should be there for the only practical purpose of maybe making the user make a mistake.)
A good first guess is that we two are not saying the same thing about anything! The ?! that stops you from making a mistake may also just irritate you on your way to doing something you really meant to do even though it's abnormal, like passing when you could have bought something because you don't actually want an Estate yet.

The point to letting you click on any action is and has always been the accurate implementation of the card.

As for the argument that it's strictly correct the way it is now, and that's why it has to be that way. Why?
Again, an excellent answer is, because that is the way Doug Z. did it, a man who pays for a server so that people can complain about his free implementation of Dominion.

You should switch to complaining about how the commercial version will work. I am betting it will let you pick an action that won't actually be discarded.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2011, 02:31:44 pm »

You should switch to complaining about how the commercial version will work. I am betting it will let you pick an action that won't actually be discarded.

More importantly, will it also irritate me on my way to doing something I really meant to do even though it's abnormal, like passing when I could have bought something because I don't actually want an Estate yet.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2011, 02:38:44 pm »

More importantly, will it also irritate me on my way to doing something I really meant to do even though it's abnormal, like passing when I could have bought something because I don't actually want an Estate yet.
That would certainly be ideal for me.

Jeebus

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2011, 10:52:41 pm »

Well 1) perhaps you can understand why making an absolute statement, having it be corrected and saying no really you're right, and then saying "oh yeah I also meant something else too" is not the height of clear communication;
Sure. Since my posts tend to be long, as I mostly cover every contingency and aspect I can think of (which oftentimes people don't bother replying to anyway, as in this thread), sometimes I censor myself if I think that would actually be clearer. Clearly that was not a good call here. At the same time, perhaps you can see why saying that it isn't so, without explaining or giving any examples of what that means, thereby giving me no new information to go on, isn't the height of clear communication either.

and 2) in fact as has been pointed out in this thread already, you can also have a duration card that does not stick around (Tactician played with no cards to discard), and for those situations you easily might want to play and pick one of them (buying Peddler). Hooray for isotropic not doing something stupid like not letting you pick duration cards played this turn!
Okay, then I give in. I was wrong. I just didn't know about that Tactician behavior, and I managed to miss the reference to it in this thread. I read the post about a "philosophical discussion" but not carefully enough to get that it was about actual Tactician behavior. I've always thought that all duration cards stay until the next turn.

Again, an excellent answer is, because that is the way Doug Z. did it, a man who pays for a server so that people can complain about his free implementation of Dominion.

Hmm, please don't accuse me of complaining about isotropic. I was merely pointing out bugs or things that are misleading. Lots of people have done the same thing in lots of threads. Are they all complaining and should shut up because isotropic is free? I'm guessing Doug has fixed some bugs because of those threads (or maybe just because people have emailed him directly?), but of course he isn't obligated to do so. But since this had already been done in this forum lots of times, I thought it was okay to do so.

As I've already said, I'm not writing all these posts in this thread because I'm trying hard to get Doug to do anything. I just didn't agree with the reasons given by people in this thread (not by Doug, who hasn't written in this thread) for why the Scheme behavior had to be that way in the first place. I wrote this the last time you accused me of this: "To be clear: I'm not advocating trying to convince Doug to do anything. I'm sure he knows about most of the bugs already -- it seems there are a few of them with the new cards -- and are fixing them as he sees fit. And the things in this thread are, as I noted in my first post, minor. I just took issue with some of the posters' arguments for why Scheme couldn't have been implemented any other way anyway." I meant that then and I mean it now!

Anyway, because of the Tactician behavior, I see that this is not so cut-and-dry, and I admit that it probably has to be the way it now. (Except of course that the on-screen instruction is misleading, and should ideally talk about choosing a card instead of returning a card.)

EDIT: Tried it now, and a Tactician that doesn't discard anything, is actually marked with "old" in the list of choices for Scheme, even though it's played this turn. Interesting. It seems the way isotropic handles this, it wouldn't actually present a problem as far as hiding any "new" durations, since that Tactician isn't included among them. Again: Not saying it's worth it to fix this! Not saying it should be fixed! Not saying it's even remotely important compared to actual bugs! Not saying Doug should fix any bugs if he doesn't want to! Not saying isotropic isn't a great resource for all fans of Dominion! Phew.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 11:20:39 pm by Jeebus »
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 21 queries.