Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11  All

Author Topic: Treasure Chest Design Contest — Card #5: Intrigue  (Read 81701 times)

Nic

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +85
    • View Profile
Re: Treasure Chest Design Contest — Card #5: Intrigue
« Reply #125 on: October 21, 2013, 06:03:40 pm »
+3

I don't know why Overseer go so many votes. I'm not so fond of it, mainly because I find it's a bit too much going on for one card, as well as the choices all being rather boring.

It seems pretty divisive. Some people love it, others hate it.

Also remember that we're voting more based on ideas than exact implementations. While it isn't the most complete card, I think people are excited about the possibilities for how it could be tweaked.
   It's a complete card and well thought out, and I don't think it would be a good idea to try and spice it up. I think the main problem is that it's not on theme. Having a communal board where you're vying for control in order to make your cards better could be fun, but mechanically it's more like a different boardgame than any Dominion expansion. It's not adding a new card to the list of Dominion fan cards, it's adding a whole new component to the game of Dominion which will only interact with one card out of 200. Coin tokens would be the only analogue for this in the official expansions: every other component is just an organizational tool or a visual reminder of something that your card did for you.
The card is interesting and provokes a competitive interaction without giving the first player too much of an advantage, and the author is going to get plenty of upvotes next week. I just don't feel it's right for the contest.

If you don't want to look through the list to figure out what the finalists are, here they are. LFN said the top 5-10 cards would make the cut, which means the threshold is most likely eight votes.

Overseer - 12 (5.9%)
Types: Action
Cost: $4
Put a marker on an empty District of the Overseer Mat. If you put it on the…
Residential District, +1 Card and +2 Actions
Craftsmen's District, +3 Cards
Commercial District, +1 Card, +1 Action, and +$1
Industrial District, gain a card costing up to $4
Logging District, +1 Buy and +$2
If four districts of the mat have a marker, remove all the markers.

Rules Clarification: There is one communal Overseer mat, split into the five districts.

Landlord - 11 (5.4%)
Types: Action – Victory
Cost: $5
+2 Cards. You may discard a Victory card. If you do, +1 Action.

Worth 1 VP per empty Supply pile.

Prefecture - 9 (4.4%)
Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal a Victory card. If you do, put it and one other revealed card into your hand. Discard the rest.

Worth 2 VP.

Monastery - 8 (3.9%)
Gain a card costing up to $6. For each $1 over $4 it costs, each other player may choose one: he trashes a card from his hand; he gains up to 2 Coppers, putting them into his hand; he discards his hand and draws 5 cards.

Homestead - 8 (3.9%)
+2 Actions. Reveal cards from the top of your deck unti you reveal a Victory card. Put that card into your hand and discard the rest.

Worth 1 VP.

Observatory - 8 (3.9%)
Cost: $3
+1 Action. Reveal the top 3 cards of your deck. If you revealed a Victory card, put all the revealed cards into your hand. Otherwise, discard them.

Nouveau Riche - 8 (3.9%)
You may discard an Estate. If you do, +3 Cards. You may discard a Duchy. If you do, +$2. You may discard a Victory card. If you do, +1 Action.

Clarification: It should be clear from the wording here, but you don't choose between these three options. You choose whether or not to do each in order.

Dungeon - 8 (3.9%)
+1 Action. Trash up to 3 cards from your hand.

Worth 1 VP per $ in the cost of the cheapest card in your deck (in Coins).

If the cutoff is seven votes, then there's three more cards.

Quartermaster
    - 7 (3.4%)
Architect (A)
    - 7 (3.4%)
Acropolis
    - 7 (3.4%)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 06:07:28 pm by Nic »

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 21, 2013, 06:12:43 pm »

I think it was probably to give us time to start voting on the leaders. Its not like the deadline wasn't posted.

I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not.  When was the deadline posted?  I just searched through all of LastFootnote's posts here and did a search for "Monday" or "October 21" and didn't find anything.  Was it in another topic?
Well you *do* need a signature...

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4384
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #127 on: October 21, 2013, 06:13:47 pm »
+2

I think it was probably to give us time to start voting on the leaders. Its not like the deadline wasn't posted.

I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not.  When was the deadline posted?  I just searched through all of LastFootnote's posts here and did a search for "Monday" or "October 21" and didn't find anything.  Was it in another topic?
The clock was on the poll itself.

ChocophileBenj

• Minion
  • Respect: +575
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 21, 2013, 06:17:31 pm »

Well, since I didn't vote, I don't have the right to complain. Congrats !

But I'm still not fan of the winner, sorry.
Chocolate is like victory points in Dominion. Both taste good but they'll hurt you if you eat too much of it instead of something else in your early days.

cluckyb

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +169
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 21, 2013, 06:46:40 pm »

So I'm curious people's thoughts on Monastery. It was one of the guys that got 8 that I didn't vote for.

My initial impression is that its too strong -- getting to gain a gold from a 4 is pretty powerful. But maybe the bonus the other guys get balances it out.

The trashing will help early game and mean that if there isn't other trashing on the board getting good cards doesn't really help you much because it just thins the other guy's deck down. With decent trashing of your own, I wouldn't be too worried about playing this though.

Gain copper in hand is always an interesting choice. I think a lot of times unless you're going for a rush it probably isn't worth it. But then again, this is a fairly rush-friendly card, so if both people go Monastery you are helping the other guy out as much as you help yourself.

Hand cycling is also a nice bonus. Around half the time they won't need it, but it helps guarantee their next hand will be nice.

They are all probably on par (if not better than) the 'gain a silver' bonus from Governor, so I guess its reasonable, but it would still be cool if a few people can play a game with it and see how it works.

Homestead I really don't get the love for. Prefecture does the "draw until you find a green" so much better in my mind. This one is just the opposite of a farming village with a +1 VP slapped on. Sure being a victory card itself it might wind up being a +3 or +4 necropolis rather than just +2, but it still strikes me as kinda boring.

Guy Srinivasan

• Salvager
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 21, 2013, 06:49:21 pm »

I voted for 8 cards. Of those, 4 are in the top 8 (and 5 in the top 11).

I voted for these, and here's why:

Overseer - 12 (5.9%)
Put a marker on an empty District of the Overseer Mat. If you put it on the…
Residential District, +1 Card and +2 Actions
Craftsmen's District, +3 Cards
Commercial District, +1 Card, +1 Action, and +$1
Industrial District, gain a card costing up to $4
Logging District, +1 Buy and +$2
If four districts of the mat have a marker, remove all the markers.

Rules Clarification: There is one communal Overseer mat, split into the five districts.
This feels like a great idea. Sure it's a different feel than "standard Dominion" but not too different, and all the choices are so vanilla that it should be easy to conceptualize "do I need a Smithy, Woodcutter, or Workshop right now?". Maybe it's too AP inducing. Maybe it has too much early-player advantage. But above all of that it sounds fun in a new way if the issues are worked out or not actually there.

Prefecture - 9 (4.4%)
Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal a Victory card. If you do, put it and one other revealed card into your hand. Discard the rest.

Worth 2 VP.
A Lab. But with downside and upside! And if you have Nobles, it's amazing! And it draws itself. Okay, 2 VP may be too much, make it 1 VP I think. But this seems like a pretty simple twist on a staple card. It really feels like it fits Intrigue.

Monastery - 8 (3.9%)
Gain a card costing up to $6. For each $1 over $4 it costs, each other player may choose one: he trashes a card from his hand; he gains up to 2 Coppers, putting them into his hand; he discards his hand and draws 5 cards.
I love Workshop. This is Workshop but you can choose to get something more expensive at a very painful cost. A simple upgrade over a base set card that I enjoy, with choices for you and your opponents. The only problem is that I'm not sure whether it's ever worth gaining a card that costs $5 or $6... unless of course you're grabbing a Duchy. Which might make it too good?

Nouveau Riche - 8 (3.9%)
You may discard an Estate. If you do, +3 Cards. You may discard a Duchy. If you do, +$2. You may discard a Victory card. If you do, +1 Action.

Clarification: It should be clear from the wording here, but you don't choose between these three options. You choose whether or not to do each in order.
I love being rewarded for early greening. Sloggy games are my favorite. This seems to nicely reward me for picking up Duchies and Estates before my opponents, but I'm worried it's too weak. It does nothing without matching up to an Estate or Duchy.

I didn't vote for these, and here's why:

Landlord - 11 (5.4%)
+2 Cards. You may discard a Victory card. If you do, +1 Action.

Worth 1 VP per empty Supply pile.
I didn't like the idea of an expensive card rewarding 3-piling. I'm not entirely certain why, because as I look at Landlord now I kinda like it.

Homestead - 8 (3.9%)
+2 Actions. Reveal cards from the top of your deck until you reveal a Victory card. Put that card into your hand and discard the rest.

Worth 1 VP.
A village that draws me junk? Sounds annoying to play with! No thanks. Okay it could be good with Harem, Nobles, and Homestead. I dunno, just not interesting.

Observatory - 8 (3.9%)
Cost: $3
+1 Action. Reveal the top 3 cards of your deck. If you revealed a Victory card, put all the revealed cards into your hand. Otherwise, discard them.
I almost voted for this. I didn't because I thought it would feel too swingy and be too disappointing when you hit and got... well, not really the promised 3 cards, because one is bad!, and too disappointing when you missed and discarded good cards.

Dungeon - 8 (3.9%)
+1 Action. Trash up to 3 cards from your hand.

Worth 1 VP per $ in the cost of the cheapest card in your deck (in Coins).
Way too swingy. It would be really fun the first few times, I think, but then just silly on too many boards. And its above-the-line effect is too often too good to pass up, so its swinginess wouldn't even be avoidable.

Showdown35

• Golem
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 21, 2013, 11:16:00 pm »

Am I the only one seeing that the poll is still open? I never saw it close and its telling me I have until the 24th to vote.
Check out my Dominion Fan Card Template for Photoshop  here

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 22, 2013, 12:02:50 am »

Am I the only one seeing that the poll is still open? I never saw it close and its telling me I have until the 24th to vote.
Nope, me too. Still thinking about what I want to vote for and it looks like I have a few days left. Did the poll just get changed to public?

Nic

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 22, 2013, 12:23:37 am »

Number of responses has gone up to 32. Sounds like LF granted the lazy folk a reprieve.

nopawnsintended

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +186
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #134 on: October 22, 2013, 09:02:58 am »

Number of responses has gone up to 32. Sounds like LF granted the lazy folk a reprieve.

It is ironic that people who don't spend hours on an online forum are called "lazy" here and "busy" in the outside world.

(Just an observation. Not being sarcastic. Don't read anything into my tone.)

Nic

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: October 22, 2013, 05:06:27 pm »

It is ironic that people who don't spend hours on an online forum are called "lazy" here and "busy" in the outside world.
Pshh. We all know what's really important in life.  8)

In other news, Landlord has overtaken Overseer for first place, and Majordomo's gotten some love.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 05:16:58 pm by Nic »

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 22, 2013, 05:59:43 pm »
+1

To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of their women?

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 22, 2013, 10:25:56 pm »
+3

To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of their women?

I think he was implying that the meaning of life is Settlers of Catan.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2127
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 23, 2013, 03:06:53 am »

I only voted for my own card, as I didn't realise I could pick more than one option. I liked quite a few cards and would love the chance to submit a proper vote.

It makes me wonder though; what effect does the new system have on votes? I can "get away with" voting only for myself.

GwinnR

• Tactician
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
    • German Youtube-Videos
« Reply #139 on: October 23, 2013, 04:38:52 am »
+1

I only voted for my own card, as I didn't realise I could pick more than one option. I liked quite a few cards and would love the chance to submit a proper vote.

It makes me wonder though; what effect does the new system have on votes? I can "get away with" voting only for myself.
The voting-system has changed to two rounds. The first X cards of the first round get to a round where we chose the winner. That there is a poll has nothing to say. The effect is just that LastFootnote has much less work. And noone could avoid that you only vote for your own card before, so there is no change with this.
Nobody's perfect, but I'm only a nobody o.O

My german Youtube-Channel: http://www.youtube.com/gwinnrdominion

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 23, 2013, 01:44:07 pm »
+2

Could somebody tell me why people can still vote after the results allready show? This makes it a whole lot easier to manipulate the voting. Also it makes the thing pretty disappointing to those of us who have to see their card dropping. I think my intrigue card was the best i sent in for any of these contests, and it dropped about 0.3% after the initial voting closed... :(

Also the obvious winner is a card that doesn't fit in Intrigue and uses a mat - which was originally forbidden for place reasons (i guess the knights stack, a thing i would like to use, is still not allowed.). Overseer isn't bad, definitely not - but it's as much Intrigue as Ironworks is Cornucopia (probably less).

I'm sorry for being such an ass.

cluckyb

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +169
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 23, 2013, 02:00:19 pm »

Could somebody tell me why people can still vote after the results allready show? This makes it a whole lot easier to manipulate the voting. Also it makes the thing pretty disappointing to those of us who have to see their card dropping. I think my intrigue card was the best i sent in for any of these contests, and it dropped about 0.3% after the initial voting closed... :(

Also the obvious winner is a card that doesn't fit in Intrigue and uses a mat - which was originally forbidden for place reasons (i guess the knights stack, a thing i would like to use, is still not allowed.). Overseer isn't bad, definitely not - but it's as much Intrigue as Ironworks is Cornucopia (probably less).

When were mats forbidden? I think almost every round has had a card that uses a mat. It certainly seems to fit the "choices" theme of Intrigue.

My guess is that Lastfootnote originally had the poll end Monday, and then switched it to end later after people said they didn't realize it was ending so soon. But based on how the forum system works, everyone can see votes now.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2146
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 23, 2013, 03:00:44 pm »
+1

I also really don't like that people can now vote while seeing the results.  I probably would have voted differently if I could have seen others' votes while voting.  Also, it could encourage an awkward situation where everyone wants to wait until the last minute to vote, so that they can maximize the number of votes they can see before voting.

Also, I don't like Overseer.  I don't hate it, but I would really, really rather not have a card that requires a new mat/tokens to win.  Partly the reason for that is that it makes it harder for those who want to print the cards and play with them to do so, but also I think the mat is what makes the card so un-Intriguish.  Intrigue didn't have any tokens or mats, partly because it was sold as a standalone and needed the extra room for base cards, but also because it was the first expansion and therefore the simplest (not counting base set as an expansion).  A card that uses a new mechanic involving tokens and mats (which are used only for that card) doesn't fit in Intrigue at all; it's just too much going on in one card.

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #143 on: October 23, 2013, 03:17:41 pm »

Remember that this is just the initial round of voting to cull the top set of contestants for the final round. Even if people voted a lot for a card (say, Overseer), it could just imply approval, not that it will be a card they vote for in the second round.

hsiale

• Duke
  • Respect: +244
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 23, 2013, 03:19:34 pm »

I don't think Overseer needs a mat. Whatever fields are needed to store the tokens, can be printed on the randomizer card.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 23, 2013, 03:24:12 pm »
+1

I don't think Overseer needs a mat. Whatever fields are needed to store the tokens, can be printed on the randomizer card.

No way.  Overseer has so much text that it pretty much has to have a mat.  As it is currently submitted, the card is impossible.  Each of the options would absolutely have to be put onto the mat itself or else it'll require unreadable 4 pt font.

I voted for Overseer because I find it interesting enough to move onto the second voting stage.  I might not vote for it as final winner due to reasons already brought up, but I like it enough for this preliminary round.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2127
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 23, 2013, 06:19:14 pm »
+5

I think Overseer would work best as 5 cards (which is how many spare slots the set will have), with each effect being on one of the cards.

Like this:
Overseer
Action - $4
If there are 4 or more district cards face down, flip them all face up.
Choose a face up district card, follow the instructions on it

Then on each card would be, for example "+3 cards, flip this card face down"

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 23, 2013, 06:28:47 pm »

I think Overseer would work best as 5 cards (which is how many spare slots the set will have), with each effect being on one of the cards.

Like this:
Overseer
Action - $4

How does this take less space than a mat?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 23, 2013, 06:54:03 pm »
+1

Like this:
Overseer
Action - $4

How does this take less space than a mat?

Cards actually do take up less room than mats or boards which don't fold well.  That's a nice idea, but it does put a limit on the number of Victory cards we can have, right?

Nic

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 23, 2013, 07:16:56 pm »

Like this:
Overseer
Action - $4

"Setup: Lay the randomizers for Village, Smithy, Workshop, Peddler, and Woodcutter in the center of the board. These are the District cards."

I think you already know where to go from here   ;D
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11  All

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 21 queries.