Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11  All

Author Topic: Treasure Chest Design Contest — Card #5: Intrigue  (Read 81764 times)

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
Re: Treasure Chest Design Contest — Card #5: Intrigue
« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2013, 01:33:24 pm »

That sounds a lot like Mine!

I don't see how?  Does it really let you gain a copy of a treasure when you reveal one from your hand AND make you trash all the treasures you have in play on buy?  If not, it's not Mine!

And some people claim i complain too much about Mine/Mint jokes. They are everywhere!! If Mine/Mint-jokes were freaking cameras, FDS would be freaking 1984!

It's not 1986

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2013, 03:18:18 pm »
+4

OK, guys. I am super sorry about this lapse. I have two excuses, neither of which actually excuses me. First, I got sick one week ago today and stayed sick for about 5 days. Second, Pokιmon came out.

Aaaanyhow, I sincerely apologize. I'm about to put the ballot up. We're going to try the voting a liiiitle differently this time. Soon (tomorrow morning at the latest), I will throw up a poll and (hopefully) you'll be able to nominate/vote for as many of the cards as you like. The poll will run for a few days. After that I will post the top X cards by number of votes (X to be determined, probably around 5 to 10), and we will have a few more days to discuss. The second round of voting will be similar to the first, but we will actually have a winner at the end.

There are a lot of interesting submissions this time, so I hope we get a lot of votes/nominations!

yuma

• Minion
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2013, 03:50:05 pm »

There are two cards named Architect without any modifiers to distinguish them.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 17, 2013, 04:00:17 pm »

I read through some of the cards and they are indeed interesting. Lots of attack cards this time.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 17, 2013, 04:42:07 pm »
+17

See?  First day the US federal government is up and running again, this "LastFootnote" fellow is right back to operating the contest.
Well you *do* need a signature...

cluckyb

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +169
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 17, 2013, 05:04:33 pm »
+1

Thoughts on the first few cards:

Logothete
Types: Action
Cost: $4
+2 Actions. Reveal your hand. +1 Card and +$1 per Victory card revealed. Reveal your hand again and put all the revealed Victory cards at the bottom of your deck in any order.

Seems pretty weak compared to crossroads. Yes, the extra money will help but needing to bottom deck your victory cards means this is a hindrance more often than not. Shines with sifters like Farming Village that can  skip over the bottom of your deck, but I think its too dangerous is more kingdoms to be worthwhile.

Cold Iron
Types: Treasure – Attack – Victory – Reaction
Worth $1. When you play this, each other player with 5 or more cards in hand draws a card then puts cards from his hand on top of his deck until he has 4 cards in hand.

Worth 1 VP. When another player plays an Attack card, you may discard this from your hand. If you do, gain a Silver, putting it into your hand, and you are not affected by the Attack.

Eh. That +1 VP feels slapped on for no reason. I like the reaction -- this will generally be better than playing a silver but is it better than a silver *and* not getting hit by the attack? But the top half is just a weak ghost ship and I don't really like ghost ship, and the +1 vp makes this a no go for me.

Sphinx (1)
Types: Action – Attack
+1 Card. +1 Action. If this is the first time you played a Sphinx this turn, each other player guesses how many Action cards you will play this turn. At the end of your Action phase, each player who guessed incorrectly gains a Curse.

Clarification: The players guess in turn order.

Eh, one shots and procession make this kind of a pain to track. It also just doesn't seem much fun. The balance between wanting to play another action card but knowing that doing so would make the other guy's guess be right is cool, but you can handle that without the guessing.

Sphinx (2)
Cost: $3
Choose one: +3 Cards and discard a card that is not a Victory cards (or reveal a hand of all Victory cards); or +$3 and cards cost $1 more this turn; or trash 3 cards from your hand and gain a card costing $0.

I like it. Might be a little too weak -- your options are a weaker courtyard, a weaker terminal silver, and a weaker chapel. The strong versions of all of those cost 2, so even giving you the choice makes 3 a little pricey. But the play on three is nice, and the options all feel cool for being different yet simple.

Paladin
Types: Action – Attack – Victory
+1 Action. Choose one: Each player (including you) discards a card; or each player (including you) draws until he has 4 cards in hand.

Worth 1 VP for every 4 Attack cards in your deck (rounded down).

Not a big fan of the everyone discards. Makes pins easier as you're hurting your current hand not your next one.

The VP for Attack cards is... I donno. It probably wont ever be worth much as its hard to mass attack cards. But as long as its on a card worth getting without the VP bonus, I don't mind it.

Landlord
Types: Action – Victory
Cost: $5
+2 Cards. You may discard a Victory card. If you do, +1 Action.

Worth 1 VP per empty Supply pile.

Seems interesting enough. The VP per supply pile is an obvious go to that I think is reasonable. Might make sense to throw in a +buy bonus to make it easier to clear supply piles, but I like how the top half interacts with victory cards.

Dance
Types: Action – Attack – Reaction
Choose one: Each player (including you) puts a card from his hand on top of his deck; or each player puts his deck into his discard pile.

When another player shuffles, you may reveal and discard this from your hand. If you do, +2 Cards.

Same with the discard attack. Not a fan of the attacks that can put the other guys handsize below 3.

Quartermaster
+$2. Discard a card. Each other player with 4 or more cards in hand discards a card that shares a type with and costs more than the card you discarded (or reveal a hand with no such card).

My biggest concern with this idea is that it could just be very annoying. You discard that village and either you'll get mad that everyone had crap hands or someone will get mad that you made them lose their KC. It just didn't seem like it would actually be fun for either the attacker or the attackee. Its a cool concept, and might be worth someone actually playing with, I just have a lot of doubts.

Concerto
+1 Action. Look through your discard pile. You may reveal a card from it and put it on the bottom of your deck. If it is an… Action card, +1 Action; Treasure card, +$1; Victory card, +1 Card.

Alright. Putting it at the bottom of your deck makes it possible to put together a nice hand. Bonuses also add interesting choices. I like it.

Architect
Cost: $6
+1 Action. +$2.

While this is in play, when an Action Card (including this) would give you any amount of $, you may draw that many cards instead.

Eh... grand market alone I think ruins this. Also pirate ship.

Acropolis
When you play this, +1 Card per unused action you have (Action, not Action card). +2 Actions.

No. Don't help the village idiots =)

Prefecture
Reveal a cards from your deck until you reveal a Victory card. If you do, put it and one other revealed card into your hand. Discard the rest.

Worth 2 VP.

Cool. It likes having low victory density, but adds victory density. I like it. Probably my favorite of the ones seen so far.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2146
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 17, 2013, 05:20:00 pm »
+2

Sphinx (1)
+1 Card. +1 Action. If this is the first time you played a Sphinx this turn, each other player guesses how many Action cards you will play this turn. At the end of your Action phase, each player who guessed incorrectly gains a Curse.

I expect this will be quite controversial, but I think it's all right.  Balance-wise, it's at worst a Familiar, which is nasty at $4, but it doesn't stack in a single turn, and I imagine that early on it's quite easy to guess that they will only play one action.  Later on they can mess with you by withholding an action to make sure they don't match your guess, which can maybe get political with 3+ players.

Overall I don't like it enough to vote for it, but it's a unique concept.

Paladin
+1 Action. Choose one: Each player (including you) discards a card; or each player (including you) draws until he has 4 cards in hand.

The bottom half is interesting but I think the ratio just has to be way too low.  It seems like it would be quite rare to score more than 1 VP.  Maybe that's okay, but the top half seems really weak too, since it benefits everyone else as much as it benefits you.  Occasionally it can be broken though; you can draw big and then discard to set up a pin.  So I think it's just really terribroken; I suspect the only time you buy it is to set-up pin or near-pin situations.

Dance
Choose one: Each player (including you) puts a card from his hand on top of his deck; or each player puts his deck into his discard pile.

When another player shuffles, you may reveal and discard this from your hand. If you do, +2 Cards.

Again, this has pin potential, although this would be quite difficult to pin with since it's terminal.  You draw big, then play five Dances to kill your opponents' next turn.

Quartermaster
+$2. Discard a card. Each other player with 4 or more cards in hand discards a card that shares a type with and costs more than the card you discarded (or reveal a hand with no such card).

This seems pretty interesting and simple, but maybe anti-fun.  I would consider voting for it.

Acropolis
When you play this, +1 Card per unused action you have (Action, not Action card). +2 Actions.

So if you're only playing Acropolises, you would need four of them for them to draw better than Village (total; after three you would have a 5-card hand again).  So you probably want to play stuff before it, but that's not necessarily easy, kind of like activating Conspirator.  I think it's reasonable at $5.  I like it.

Courtier
You may gain a Duchy. If you didn't, gain a Silver. Each other player may gain an Estate. If he didn't, he gains a Copper.

I think this is really strong.  Comparing to Count: Count gains Duchy plus a penalty, but is flexible.  But this if kind of flexible as well, and has a (usually) bonus, rather than a penalty, and costs $4 instead of $5.

Bailey
Do this three times: Choose one: +1 Action; or discard a Victory card, and +$2 if you did.

Worth 1 VP.

I think this is too much better than Festival.  It doesn't have the +buy, but it's worth 1 VP.  It can whiff, but it can also do better, and it costs $4 instead of $5.  Also it combos better with draw-to-X cards, which is a reasonably common use for Festival.

Committee
+$2. The player to your left names a card. Reveal the top 4 cards of your deck and choose one that is not the named card. Trash it or gain a copy of it. Put the untrashed cards back in any order.

Later on they'll start naming Province and then this can be +$2, gain a Gold/other good card, or at worst +$2, trash a Copper (not from hand).  I think this is really strong and doesn't need to be a terminal silver.

Usurer
Discard any number of cards. Choose one: +$1 per card discarded; or each other player discards until he has the same number of cards in hand as you.

Again, another pinning attack.  You play some virtual coin cards, then discard your hand and force everyone else to do the same (and again is unstoppable with KC and Scheme and no reactions/Lighthouse).  Even without the pin it seems potentially very anti-fun.

Liege
+2 Cards. Each other player discards a Victory card (or reveals a hand with no Victory cards). If any player discards a card this way, play this again.

So it's usually +2, +4, or +6 cards, but it also encourages people to stay away from hybrid victory cards, as well as the Intrigue cards that benefit from victory cards, so it seems quite contrary to the theme of Intrigue.

Observatory
+1 Action. Reveal the top 3 cards of your deck. If you revealed a Victory card, put all the revealed cards into your hand. Otherwise, discard them.

I remember seeing this somewhere before.  I like it a lot.

Tiller
Trash a card from your hand. The player to your left chooses a card in the Supply costing at least $2 more than the trashed card. Gain it.

I think this probably compares too unfavorably to Remodel.  The advantage it has is that it turns $5's into Provinces with no $7's on the board (and $2's into $5's with no $4's on the board), but I don't think that's worth it in exchange for not getting what you want.

Heir
Types: Victory
At the end of the game, choose one: Trash an Estate from your deck and this is worth 1 VP per Estate in your deck; or trash 2 Curses from your deck and this is worth 2 VP; or trash 3 Coppers from your deck and this is worth 3 VP if you have no Treasures in your deck.

There's a weird timing thing here.  When the game ends, what order to players resolve their Heirs in?  Do we each do it secretly and simultaneously, or do we start with the player who ended the game and go clockwise, or what?  Also, does the third option check for VP right after the Coppers are trashed, or does it wait until the very end of the game to count VP (which would matter if you had multiple Heirs)?

Mob
The player to your left reveals his hand. Choose one of the revealed cards costing up to $6. Either gain a copy of it or each other player gains a copy of it, your choice.

Seems like a more versatile Smugglers variant.  It might be okay but I don't like Smugglers so I'm not really excited about it.  Also it might become an unfiltered Copper junker.

Hidden Passage
You may trash a card from your hand. Each other player may reveal the top 2 cards of his deck. If he does, he trashes one and discards the other.

I don't get this at all.  Isn't it just strictly worse than Chapel?  Single card terminal trashing is absurdly weak anyway - you might not even buy it for $0 - but this is that plus a drawback.

Legate
+1 Action. +$1. Each player (including you) reveals the top 3 cards of his deck and puts one of them (your choice) in his hand, then puts the rest back on top in an order he chooses.

Interesting Peddler variant.  I think I like it.

Narcissist
You may reveal then discard any number of differently-named cards. For each card discarded this way, if it is an… Action card, +2 Actions; Treasure card, +$2; Victory card, +2 Cards.

This is going to be really hard to track.  Otherwise it might be okay.

Warden
+1 Action. Choose two in any order: Draw until you have 6 cards in hand; play an Action card from your hand; trash a card from your hand and gain a card costing up to $2 more, putting it on top of your deck. (The choices must be different.)

I think this is bonkers strong.  Even without the play an action option, it's like Remodel, +3 cards, +1 action.  The play an action option makes it stronger and harder to track.

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 17, 2013, 05:55:10 pm »

Ballot changes!

I accidentally omitted a card:

Visiting Dignitary
+1 Action. Trash this. Gain a Visiting Dignitary and a Victory card costing up to $6.

At the author's request, I'm changing the wording of Paladin so that players only discard if they have 4 or more cards in hand.

Also, I'll differentiate the two Architects and letter repeats instead of numbering them. The numbering system is for before I randomize them and I fudged the randomization today in order to speed posting of the ballot.

ChocophileBenj

• Minion
  • Respect: +575
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 17, 2013, 06:01:33 pm »

Finally !

I play WoW a bit and I comment !
Chocolate is like victory points in Dominion. Both taste good but they'll hurt you if you eat too much of it instead of something else in your early days.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 17, 2013, 06:28:00 pm »
+2

At last! Now, to remember which card is the one I submitted, so I don't denigrate it too much.

dghunter79

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +320
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 17, 2013, 06:30:36 pm »
+1

Logothete
+2 Actions. Reveal your hand. +1 Card and +$1 per Victory card revealed. Reveal your hand again and put all the revealed Victory cards at the bottom of your deck in any order.

That's a pretty stiff penalty!  And not much of a benefit.  Would this ever be good if there weren't Great Halls/Nobles/Harems on the board?

Cold Iron
Worth $1. When you play this, each other player with 5 or more cards in hand draws a card then puts cards from his hand on top of his deck until he has 4 cards in hand.

Worth 1 VP. When another player plays an Attack card, you may discard this from your hand. If you do, gain a Silver, putting it into your hand, and you are not affected by the Attack.

It's a lot of things, all of which seem reasonable.  I didn't at first think they came together in a cohesive way, but maybe they do.  It's a really weak attack, maybe even, of all attacks, the attack which is most likely to be helpful.  But it's a strong reaction to attacks.  I don't think it's something you'd buy if there were no other attacks on the board.  But, if there are, you buy Iron -- and then you end up playing the attack, cause you have it, and therefore triggering more reaction plays of Iron.  I dunno.  It's weird.

Sphinx (1)

Can be political.

Sphinx (2)
Choose one: +3 Cards and discard a card that is not a Victory cards (or reveal a hand of all Victory cards); or +$3 and cards cost $1 more this turn; or trash 3 cards from your hand and gain a card costing $0.

Steward, but more complicated without adding much to the game.

Paladin

4 is a lot!  And this card isn't very strong.  Some interesting combos, with, like, Ironworks and other things.

Landlord

Kind of interesting.  Might be too strong, since it's always worth at least 1VP, and 2 if you buy all of them, so 16VP if you run the stack.  And they are pretty good on their own.  Would everyone go for them?  The thing is, if everyone goes for them, they're worth the same for everyone.

Dance

This makes it too easy to force your opponents into 0-card hands.

Quartermaster

Not bad!

Concerto
+1 Action. Look through your discard pile. You may reveal a card from it and put it on the bottom of your deck. If it is an… Action card, +1 Action; Treasure card, +$1; Victory card, +1 Card.

Moving a card from the discard to the bottom of the deck feels a little esoteric.

Architect
+1 Action. +$2.

While this is in play, when an Action Card (including this) would give you any amount of $, you may draw that many cards instead.

Stacks crazy.  The second one you play is +4 Cards, + 1 Action.  And then +6 Cards, +1 Action... It's a lot stronger than Gold.

Acropolis

Another card that stacks like crazy.  The first one is a Village, the second one is a Level 2 City, the third one is +3 Cards + 2 Actions.  You would never be able to ignore it.

Prefecture
Reveal a cards from your deck until you reveal a Victory card. If you do, put it and one other revealed card into your hand. Discard the rest.

Worth 2 VP.

I like it. 

Nabob
+2 Cards. Trash a card from your hand. Choose one: Gain a card costing up to $2 more than the trashed card; or each other player gains a card costing up to the cost of the trashed card.

Remodel plus two really good benefits for a buck more.  That's really strong, not sure it needs the +2 Cards. 

Courtier
You may gain a Duchy. If you didn't, gain a Silver. Each other player may gain an Estate. If he didn't, he gains a Copper.

That's really strong.

Monastery
Gain a card costing up to $6. For each $1 over $4 it costs, each other player may choose one: he trashes a card from his hand; he gains up to 2 Coppers, putting them into his hand; he discards his hand and draws 5 cards.

Too much stuff.  Simplify.

Lawyer
+$2. Reveal the top card of your deck. If you reveal a Victory card, discard it and gain an Action card costing up to $5. Otherwise, put the card back and gain an Action card costing up to $3.

I like it.  I guess I'm a sucker for cards that involve gambling.

Lord
Reveal your hand. If you revealed a Treasure card, a Victory card, and an Action card (each separate cards), then +$3. Otherwise, +$1.

Worth 1 VP.

I'm not really crazy about these Victory cards that aren't very good or that fun, but that bribe you into buying them by being worth VP.

Bailey
Do this three times: Choose one: +1 Action; or discard a Victory card, and +$2 if you did.

Worth 1 VP.

Another card that is bribing you into buying it by being worth VP.

Wall
Types: Action – Reaction
Choose two: Look at the top card of your deck and discard it or put it back; or gain a card costing up to $3; or trash a card from your hand. (The choices must be different.)

When another player plays an Attack card, you may reveal this from your hand. If you do, you may discard any number of cards from your hand. At the start of your next turn, draw that many cards.

Too much stuff.  Simplify.

Overseer
Put a marker on an empty District of the Overseer Mat. If you put it on the…
Residential District, +1 Card and +2 Actions
Craftsmen's District, +3 Cards
Commercial District, +1 Card, +1 Action, and +$1
Industrial District, gain a card costing up to $4
Logging District, +1 Buy and +$2
If four districts of the mat have a marker, remove all the markers.

Rules Clarification: There is one communal Overseer mat, split into the five districts.

It doesn't feel very Dominion-y, but I still really like it, bordering on love.

Shrine
+1 Action. Choose one: trash a card from your hand; or +1 Card.

Worth 2 VP.

The cumulative effect of reading all these weak cards that are begging you to buy them by being worth VP, is that of going to a dog pound full of really old dogs.

Committee
+$2. The player to your left names a card. Reveal the top 4 cards of your deck and choose one that is not the named card. Trash it or gain a copy of it. Put the untrashed cards back in any order.

Seems a little strong.  Maybe it has to be "name a card that is not a victory card."

Taylor-Compton
+1 Card. +1 Action. Discard any number of Victory cards. +$1 per card discarded.

Worth 1 VP.

Another old dog.

Usurer
Discard any number of cards. Choose one: +$1 per card discarded; or each other player discards until he has the same number of cards in hand as you.

This makes it too easy to get other players down to zero-card hands, turn after turn.

Dungeon
+1 Action. Trash up to 3 cards from your hand.

Worth 1 VP per $ in the cost of the cheapest card in your deck (in Coins).

Interesting.  Two questions -- is it be too easy to get this up to 5VP?  Since it's definitely very easy to get this up to 3VP, does it become too much of a must-buy?  Maybe it trashes too many cards.

Majordomo
+1 Action. Discard a card. If it is a… Victory card, +1 Card; Treasure card, +2 Cards; Action card, +3 Cards.

I think this is about as strong as Stables, and should cost 5.

Wedding
+1 Action. You may trash up to 2 cards from your hand. If you trashed exactly 1 card, each other player discards down to 3 cards in hand. If you trashed exactly 2 cards, each other player gains a Curse.

I like this version better than the earlier draft.  Much cleaner.  Lose the +Action though.

Liege
+2 Cards. Each other player discards a Victory card (or reveals a hand with no Victory cards). If any player discards a card this way, play this again.

Interesting.  I like it.

Observatory
+1 Action. Reveal the top 3 cards of your deck. If you revealed a Victory card, put all the revealed cards into your hand. Otherwise, discard them.

Interesting.  I like it.

Tiller
Trash a card from your hand. The player to your left chooses a card in the Supply costing at least $2 more than the trashed card. Gain it.

Interesting.  I like it.

Architect
Trash a card from your hand. Choose one: gain a card costing up to $2 more than the trashed card, which you may put on top of your deck; or +2 Buys and +$ equal to the trashed card's cost in Coins.

Another $5 that is a Remodel plus too many benefits.

Groundskeeper
+1 Card. +$1. Discard a card. Choose one: set aside up to 3 cards from your discard pile, discarding them after your next reshuffle; or shuffle your discard pile and put it at the bottom of your deck.

Too esoteric.

Heir
At the end of the game, choose one: Trash an Estate from your deck and this is worth 1 VP per Estate in your deck; or trash 2 Curses from your deck and this is worth 2 VP; or trash 3 Coppers from your deck and this is worth 3 VP if you have no Treasures in your deck.

Manic.  Maybe pick the best one of these things and be that thing.

Mob
The player to your left reveals his hand. Choose one of the revealed cards costing up to $6. Either gain a copy of it or each other player gains a copy of it, your choice.

Too strong.

Nouveau Riche
You may discard an Estate. If you do, +3 Cards. You may discard a Duchy. If you do, +$2. You may discard a Victory card. If you do, +1 Action.

Clarification: It should be clear from the wording here, but you don't choose between these three options. You choose whether or not to do each in order.

OK.  I'm not sure I want to build this deck but I appreciate that this card is at least not worth VP.

Hidden Passage
You may trash a card from your hand. Each other player may reveal the top 2 cards of his deck. If he does, he trashes one and discards the other.

I think this is Bishop but with a much worse benefit to you and often a better benefit to your opponent.

Legate
+1 Action. +$1. Each player (including you) reveals the top 3 cards of his deck and puts one of them (your choice) in his hand, then puts the rest back on top in an order he chooses.

That's a pretty intense benefit for your opponent.

Secret Plot
Types: Treasure – Victory
Worth $1. When you play this, each player may set aside a card face down on his Secret Plot mat. You may look at the cards on your mat at any time; reveal them and return them to your deck at the end of the game.

Worth 1 VP for each differently-named card on your mat that no other player has a copy of on his mat.

A card from your hand, I assume.  Seems like it turns the game into kind of a no-fun game.  You kind of have to buy Secret Plots since they can be worth a lot of points.  And then all the other players have to do the same thing.  And then the end result is they are all worth 0VP.

Castellan
Do the following three things in any order; you get the version in parentheses: Each player draws until he has 5 (6) cards in hand; each player discards down to 3 (3) cards in hand; each player trashes up to 1 (2) cards from his hand.

Pretty weak -- almost a gimped Steward.

Inquisitor
+$2. Each other player may discard any number of cards. Choose one: Each other player gains a Curse for each card in hand over 3; or each other player trashes a card from his hand and draws until he has 3 cards in hand.

Narcissist
You may reveal then discard any number of differently-named cards. For each card discarded this way, if it is an… Action card, +2 Actions; Treasure card, +$2; Victory card, +2 Cards.

Interesting.  A bit weak.

Ironworker
Cost: $2
Discard a card. If it is an… Action card, +3 Actions; Treasure card, +$3; Victory card, +3 Cards.

Well, either this, or Narcissist, or both, are priced wrong.  I think both.

Warden
+1 Action. Choose two in any order: Draw until you have 6 cards in hand; play an Action card from your hand; trash a card from your hand and gain a card costing up to $2 more, putting it on top of your deck. (The choices must be different.)

The +action is too much. 

Cannoneer
+2 Cards. +$1. Each other player with at least 5 cards in hand reveals one of them. He either discards it and gains a copy of it or he trashes it, your choice.

Too strong.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 17, 2013, 06:31:47 pm »
+1

I tried to be briefer, but I got more long-winded as I went down.

Logothete

If it doesn't whiff, then I get a nice turn now but then I kill at least a turn in the future.  I wouldn't find this fun.

Cold Iron

I see what you did there.  Cute, but there's a practical thing that I don't know would be solvable -- what colour should he card be?  Even Dame Josephine only needs 2 colours because Attack and Knight are non-colour-coded subtypes.  This needs yellow, green and blue.

Other than that, I think it's OK.  The attack is probably weak enough that it's fine as a Treasure.

Sphinx (1)

Political.  If multiple players make different guesses, you can choose not to play an extra card just to make everyone gain a Curse.  Moreover, this is actually really, really close to Familiar because of that.  If you have 2 actions in hand, you can guarantee handing out a Curse.  If someone guesses 1, you play more actions like normal.  If they guess 2 or more, you just stop before you reach that number.

Sphinx (2)

Oddly popular name.  I guess it fits the "choice" aspect, though I'm not entirely sold on mythological creatures here. 

This seems too powerful to me at first, though maybe it isn't.  Trash 3 and gain is AMAZING, very often better than Count's trashing option.  The money option is usually really bad, but has neat interactions with [scaling] TfB.  I suppose the draw is not great either, but it's probably about the same power as +2 Cards.  So this is a lot like Steward but with worse coin and way better trashing.

I'd like it more if it didn't parallel Steward so closely.

Paladin

I think the attack actually hurts you more than it hurts others?  But if you can draw your deck, you can easily pin others with multiple Paladin plays.  Seems kind of broken in that respecct.

The Victory for Attacks is odd but I don't like it that much.  I don't have a good reason for not liking it though.

Landlord

Simple enough.  I think it sounds alright.  Weak Lab for action, Weak Duchy for VP (sometimes more, often less).

Dance

Like Paladin above, this can pin others.  It's a little less dangerous than Paladin because it's terminal, but it gets worse with more than 2 players.  Moreover, this doesn't allow others any recourse -- at least with Torturer, I can choose a Curse instead.  This is entirely in the attacker's hands.

Quartermaster

Probably OK.  Sort of like Taxman.

Concerto

Sounds reasonable.  Might be fine at $2.

Architect
+1 Action. +$2.

This is Lab that can be a Silver, because it would apply to itself.  The flexibility sounds pretty strong to me even at $2, and that's before factoring in what it does to other cards.  I also know that I've seen this (or a very similar) mechanic proposed before but I don't remember what issues were brought up then.  I'm not sure if it's too crazy or just the right amount of crazy.

Acropolis

We're going Greek now?

Maybe OK... Without village support, the first one is actually a Necropolis.  The second one would be a Village, and then it grows from there.  With support, it has potential for some seriously crazy draw.  It's interesting.  I don't know if it's balanced.

Prefecture

Worth 2 VP.

2VP feels tacked on at first, but it has a purpose in that other Prefectures will act as stop cards.  This is the Demonic Tutor concept again, but with a sprinkling of luck to determine the selection you can choose from (unless you trash away most of your green).  Being a terminal means it usually needs some support.  As far as Tutor variants go, I like this one.

Nabob
+2 Cards. Trash a card from your hand. Choose one: Gain a card costing up to $2 more than the trashed card; or each other player gains a card costing up to the cost of the trashed card.

I thought Nabob was a coffee brand.  Apparently it's a real word too.

This seems incredibly powerful.  Masquerade is already really good for draw+trash (the passing helps, but the trashing is more important).  Nabob does the same, but instead of passing it just straight up junks other players.  And then there's also an option to use it as draw+Remodel?  Too good for $5.  Maybe $6?  I'm tired by these dominating power card concepts though -- I'd like some more niche ideas.

Courtier

So this is usually just "Gain a Duchy/Silver, everyone else gains a Copper".  There are problems with Copper trashing and this card doesn't address them.  Also, "Gain a Duchy" is actually a really powerful effect.

Monastery
Gain a card costing up to $6. For each $1 over $4 it costs, each other player may choose one: he trashes a card from his hand; he gains up to 2 Coppers, putting them into his hand; he discards his hand and draws 5 cards.

Workshop+.  It costs a smidge more but it can gain to higher prices... but when used that way, other players get a choice of three decently powerful bonuses.  I like it, for a Workshop variant.  Granted, Intrigue already has Ironworks as a Workshop variant.

Lawyer
+$2. Reveal the top card of your deck. If you reveal a Victory card, discard it and gain an Action card costing up to $5. Otherwise, put the card back and gain an Action card costing up to $3.

Mechanically, maybe just fine.  But it feels neither thematic (can someone explain why this is lawyer-like?) nor cohesive, and it's just not that interesting to me.

Lord
Reveal your hand. If you revealed a Treasure card, a Victory card, and an Action card (each separate cards), then +$3. Otherwise, +$1.

Worth 1 VP.

Probably OK.  Also a little boring to me.

Bailey

Worth 1 VP.

Don't really like the double colon here.  Seems too powerful?  With one Victory card, it's nearly a Festival.  With two, it's nearly a Platinum.  With three, it's +$6.  And it's worth 1VP to boot.  I guess it doesn't stack well.

Wall
Choose two: Look at the top card of your deck and discard it or put it back; or gain a card costing up to $3; or trash a card from your hand. (The choices must be different.)

When another player plays an Attack card, you may reveal this from your hand. If you do, you may discard any number of cards from your hand. At the start of your next turn, draw that many cards.

Probably overcosted.  Sounds OK, but nothing really unique.

Overseer

Rules Clarification: There is one communal Overseer mat, split into the five districts.

I think this might be too much text to reasonably fit onto an actual card.  The proper fix for that is to put all the individual bonuses onto the mat itself and just say something like, "get the bonus for the chosen district".  I like the idea, and the concept itself is flexible enough that it can take a LOT of tweaking without losing the spirit of it.  Main concern is that it might be too much p1 advantage, but there are probably bigger offenders among official cards.  No big deal.

Shrine

Worth 2 VP.

Ehhh.  Great Hall with extra VP and you can choose to trash instead.  OK I guess, but not so interesting.

Committee

Maybe too powerful?  Others can either name junk and risk you gaining something awesome, or they can name something good and let you trash.  Or, quite possibly, gain something else good.  Man, this can let you gain Provinces.  Add a non-Victory clause in there and maybe it'll be OK, but it still seems too good.  Probably fine at $5 without the virtual coin.

Taylor-Compton
+1 Card. +1 Action. Discard any number of Victory cards. +$1 per card discarded.

Worth 1 VP.

Didn't get the name at first.  Dunno how it would actually play.

Usurer

Hahaha, nope.  Cute concept, but this can actually guarantee locking down opponents with just a single play.  That is absurd.  If my hand is terrible, I can deny your next turn.  If I have virtual coin (and note, if you have village support then Usurer itself provides that virtual coin), I can play them out and then deny your next turn.  If I can draw my deck, you're not playing another turn again.  Ever.

Even without that game-breaking flaw, I don't really like a Secret Chamber variant in the same expansion as Secret Chamber.

Dungeon

Huh.  OK, it's cute, but the VP condition is too swingy.  In plenty of games you can trash down easily with Dungeon such that they are each worth a Duchy in the end (Silvers).  That's really powerful.  In other games, you can try to do that but then someone plays Witch and suddenly all your Dungeons are worth no VP at all.  It's then swingy because you have to hope to match up the offending Curse with a Dungeon before the end of the game.  So I don't think the conditional VP actually works in practice, and without that it's not very interesting.

Majordomo
+1 Action. Discard a card. If it is a… Victory card, +1 Card; Treasure card, +2 Cards; Action card, +3 Cards.

Sounds reasonable.  I like that at best it is still a nerfed Stables or Lab, and at worst it still isn't quite a cantrip.  Probably works at $3.

Wedding
+1 Action. You may trash up to 2 cards from your hand. If you trashed exactly 1 card, each other player discards down to 3 cards in hand. If you trashed exactly 2 cards, each other player gains a Curse.

Non-terminal better-than-Steward trashing with your choice of Militia or cursing attack.  Not cohesive.  Too powerful.  Doesn't even fit the name.

Liege

So this is +2 Cards with even more cards if players have VP in hand?  A little odd, but I guess that's alright.  One issue is that this has tremendous p1 advantage with more than 2 players.  When a player plays Liege, not only does he get a big benefit out of it, but he makes it less likely that subsequent players will get a big benefit because he drains the VP cards out of others' hands.  Still, this is a rather unique concept.  Might be nicer if it didn't stack as far (e.g. just give another +2 Cards instead of "play this again").

Traitor
+$1. Choose one: Name a card costing up to $3 and each other player with 5 or more cards in hand discards a copy of the named card (or reveals a hand without it); or, choose an Attack card from your hand and play it twice.

The first choice is too powerful already -- it's a Cutpurse that can hit Silver or various engine components.  OK, it doesn't stack like Cutpurse does, but hitting just one Silver is already really painful.  At least Taxman costs you a Treasure card; Traitor still grants you a bit of coin.  An optional TR for attacks is just icing on the cake.

Homestead
+2 Actions. Reveal cards from the top of your deck unti you reveal a Victory card. Put that card into your hand and discard the rest.

Worth 1 VP.

Overcosted?  It's a Village that only ever draws Victory cards.  It can draw itself, but that only gives you more actions.  Combos well with other hybrid VP though, I suppose.  It's probably generally more useful than GH, but it's not strictly better.

A little boring to me.

Observatory

It's Scout, but with bigger risk/reward.  If you reveal a Victory card, it's better than Lab.  If you don't, you end up cycling cards that were probably good for you.  I think it's OK, but I don't know how I feel about putting a card in for Intrigue that basically invalidates an Intrigue card. :P

Tiller

This is almost always worse than Remodel, so it probably shouldn't cost $4.  Otherwise, it sounds OK.

Architect
Trash a card from your hand. Choose one: gain a card costing up to $2 more than the trashed card, which you may put on top of your deck; or +2 Buys and +$ equal to the trashed card's cost in Coins.

Remodel+top deck is already really good and enough for a $5 card.  The option for Salvager with extra Buy just puts this over the top.  When both options are worth more than $4, the card that gives those options is probably worth more than $5, and I think that's the case here.  The choice isn't compelling to me either -- Remodel and Salvager are actually pretty close in function already.

Groundskeeper
+1 Card. +$1. Discard a card. Choose one: set aside up to 3 cards from your discard pile, discarding them after your next reshuffle; or shuffle your discard pile and put it at the bottom of your deck.

Very subtle effect that can still whiff.  Is it really good enough for $5?  I find it very difficult to evaluate by theorycraft alone.

Heir

It sounds overly complicated for not a lot of difference.  Seems like a choice just for the sake of having a choice.  Other cards have interesting choices because it's not always clear what is optimal -- should I use my Steward to trash now, or should I draw and hope to hit $8?  Should I discard to Torturer, or should I take the Curse because another Torturer will be played before my turn?  And so on.  But with Heir, the optimal choice can be found because the game is already over.  However, it might still take a bit of work to figure that out, and then it's just annoying.

I mean, if I have multiple Heirs, do I have to make this choice for each one?  Like, if I had 8 Estates and 8 Heirs, would I have to trash an Estate to get the first one to be worth 7VP?  But then if I want the second Heir to count Estates, I have to trash another Estate?  Similar questions arise for trashing Curses or trashing Copper.  If not, then the choice is really trivial -- I can look at my deck contents and figure out the one that gets me the most VP.  If I have to do it for each one, the choice is still trivial but it takes a heckuva lot more work to figure out the best case.

Or if for some reason the rule is that you have to decide before looking through your deck contents... well, that's just forcing casual players to either track their deck during the game (which they may find unfun) or make an uninformed decision that may be suboptimal (and then it feels really, really bad if you lose because you chose the wrong option).

Mob

Seems a little swingy in what you end up revealing.  Also, making just the player to your left reveal his hand doesn't sit well with me.  Usually it makes little difference, but sometimes that knowledge matters and only having one player exposed seems unfair.

Nouveau Riche
You may discard an Estate. If you do, +3 Cards. You may discard a Duchy. If you do, +$2. You may discard a Victory card. If you do, +1 Action.

Clarification: It should be clear from the wording here, but you don't choose between these three options. You choose whether or not to do each in order.

Seems OK.  A little swingy, but not much more than Baron.

Hidden Passage

Really weak.  Terminal trash-from-hand is already pretty terrible, and this doesn't even give a bonus like Lookout does.  Instead, it gives opponents a benefit in that they can choose to do a mini-Lookout.  I probably wouldn't buy this even if it were free.

Legate

Interesting name.  I learned a new word (that I probably won't remember)! :P

The filtered draw is pretty strong, but giving it to opponents severely weakens it, especially because it's a filtered Lab for them.  As with Hidden Passage, it's so much better for opponents that I probably wouldn't buy this either.

Secret Plot
Worth $1. When you play this, each player may set aside a card face down on his Secret Plot mat. You may look at the cards on your mat at any time; reveal them and return them to your deck at the end of the game.

Worth 1 VP for each differently-named card on your mat that no other player has a copy of on his mat.

OK, the name is the greatest.  "Secret Plot" fits Intrigue really well, but it's funny on a Victory card because of the double meaning of "Plot".  I love that.

The card itself is mediocre.  You can use it as an infinite Island, but everyone else gets that too.  That weakens it quite a bit.  Making it worth even one VP could be quite tricky as well -- Coppers and Estates are almost certainly never going to do anything for you.  Other VP cards are unlikely as well because opponents will be happy to Plot away their Provinces.  To get VP, you'd have to try putting away something decent.  Silver maybe, or Gold or a key action card.  But is that even worth it?  What if others have the same idea?  I guess it's thematic that way.

There is a practical concern in that people could very easily forget about revealing their mats at the end of the game and just dump them into the rest of their deck like with Native Village and Island.  There's also a significant amount of text to fit underneath the big coin.  Eh, this might be OK.

Castellan
Do the following three things in any order; you get the version in parentheses: Each player draws until he has 5 (6) cards in hand; each player discards down to 3 (3) cards in hand; each player trashes up to 1 (2) cards from his hand.

Is it supposed to be 3 (3)?

"Choose the order" is a concept that I toyed with when thinking of a submission for Intrigue, but I never came up with something where it worked really well.  I think it's been discussed on the forums before too, a long time ago.

One problem is that it can very easily create Analysis Paralysis.  With 3 choices that you can order, it is effectively choosing 1 of 6.  Castellan kicks it even further because now you have to be concerned about what the card is doing to opponents as well.

So for choices +-x (draw discard trash), what do the different orders do?

+-x The attack here is pretty weak because they get to draw before discarding, but it mitigates the benefit of optional trashing because they would end up with a 2 card hand if they do that.  Actually, the draw usually doesn't matter because it's only up to 5 for them, whereas you get to draw 2 cards.  Note that if you trash 2 cards, you would end up with a 1 card hand.

+x- Similar to +-x but now opponents are more likely to benefit from the optional trashing.  In exchange, you also get to trash more freely because you'll still have a 3 card hand afterwards.

-+x This order skews the attack more to Minion than Margrave.  Everyone gets more choice for what to trash.

-x+ Opponents end up with a regular hand size even if they choose to trash, but this may still be the best order simply because it means you can end up drawing 5 cards from this.

x-+ Very similar to -x+ (trash discard draw), but probably inferior.  Opponents are better able to keep their best cards from the starting hand, since they get to draw before discarding.  I suppose you do too though.

x+- Ending with the discard attack can be nice, and it restricts opponents' trashing options a bit.

OK, that didn't give me as much insight as I thought it would.  It's probably easier to play in game -- it should be easy to decide whether you want to trash or draw first, depending on whether your hand already has cards you want to trash.  Still, I can see there being a lot of AP.

The concept is still compelling though.  I think it might be more interesting if it was "discard X" rather than "discard down to X".  Since there is also fixed draw, this couldn't be used to pin an opponent.

Inquisitor
+$2. Each other player may discard any number of cards. Choose one: Each other player gains a Curse for each card in hand over 3; or each other player trashes a card from his hand and draws until he has 3 cards in hand.

This is pretty brutal.  You pretty much have to discard down to 3 or else you're eating Curses, but you also have to keep one junk card because obviously they will then have you trash.  This can get political though.  Say Alice discards down to 4 and Bob discards down to 3.  Do I Curse Alice or do I make everyone trash?

Narcissist

Could get really hard to track.  I was thinking about a card like this too, and the potential tracking issue was the main obstacle that I couldn't really get around.

Ironworker
Discard a card. If it is an… Action card, +3 Actions; Treasure card, +$3; Victory card, +3 Cards.

Is this OK at $2?  I guess so.  Discarding an action card for actions is bad.  Discarding a Treasure for $3 is usually equivalent to +$2 at best.  Only discarding green is OK most of the time, and it can whiff on that.

Not super interesting though.

Warden

Ah, another "any order".  This time it's choose 2 of 3.  For this one the choices are dpr (draw, play, remodel).

dp is like Lab+Village.
dr is like Lab+Village+Remodel.
pd is like Village+Lab+Lab.
rd is like Village+Remodel+Lab+Lab.
pr is like Village+Remodel.
rp is like Remodel+Village.

This is assuming that the "play" card is non-drawing, which it might not be.

So the main difference between pr and rp is whether you want to play that other action before or after remodelling.

Ah, this is probably OK too.  AP is still a potential problem.  There are also potential tracking issues, especially when choosing to play an Action card before doing something else.

Cannoneer
+2 Cards. +$1. Each other player with at least 5 cards in hand reveals one of them. He either discards it and gains a copy of it or he trashes it, your choice.

A bit swingy, a bit political.

ConMan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 17, 2013, 06:51:01 pm »
+1

Intrigue's theme was choices, but the theme for the cards I've seen so far is *difficult* choices. Which is not bad, but playing some of these cards for real would probably give me a headache.

Castellan
So, a little bit Governor, a little bit Margrave? Would you announce the order up front, or could you choose the discard first, then decide between draw and trash (I guess the first, based on how Pawn works)? I don't mind it, but I feel like it will be a bit too strong and complicated.

Inquisitor
A nice Torturer variant. Probably most interesting in a 3-4 player game, if one player discards down to 3 and the other does nothing.

Narcissist
Probably a little strong, even with the differently-named restriction, but maybe passable.

Ironworker
Waaaaay too strong at $2. It's like Crossroads, but better because you can chain it much more easily. Maybe bearable at $3-4?

Warden
The choices all combo well with each other, but I'm worried that picking the second option first will cause lots of headaches with tracking - especially if you use it to play another one of these or a Throne Room-variant.

Cannoneer
The attack is probably too powerful. It's only bearable in cases where there's a cheap card that you don't mind having lots of in your deck but don't mind losing either (so maybe Silver, but even then ...)

Visiting Dignitary
+1 Action. Trash this. Gain a Visiting Dignitary and a Victory card costing up to $6.
Weird. I assume the trash-and-regain effect is to limit the number of times it can be used, but still ... ? I don't know what to make of it. And it's a reusable, non-terminal Victory feast. Very Intrigue-y, but that's about all I can say.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 17, 2013, 06:54:05 pm »

Architect
+1 Action. +$2.

Stacks crazy.  The second one you play is +4 Cards, + 1 Action.  And then +6 Cards, +1 Action... It's a lot stronger than Gold.

Acropolis

Another card that stacks like crazy.  The first one is a Village, the second one is a Level 2 City, the third one is +3 Cards + 2 Actions.  You would never be able to ignore it.

Architect doesn't sound like it stacks to me.  You get +2 Cards instead of +$2, so even when you have multiples in play, you shouldn't be able to proc them all.

Acropolis should be slower than you think.  The first one is only Necropolis because you don't get +actions before you draw.  So for example: Turn begins, I have 1 action.  I play Acropolis.  I have 0 actions so I draw nothing, then I get +2 actions.  I play second Acropolis, using 1 action and having 1 action left.  Now I get to draw 1 card, then I get +2 actions for 3 actions total.  And so on.

Majordomo

I think this is about as strong as Stables, and should cost 5.

I think Stables is stronger.  If you discard a treasure, Stables increases your hand size whereas Majordomo does not.  To match Stables in draw, Majordomo needs to discard an action card.  That's significantly worse than discarding a treasure because your deck starts with a bunch of weak treasures but you are unlikely to have a bunch of weak actions in your deck.

Secret Plot

A card from your hand, I assume.  Seems like it turns the game into kind of a no-fun game.  You kind of have to buy Secret Plots since they can be worth a lot of points.  And then all the other players have to do the same thing.  And then the end result is they are all worth 0VP.

I don't see why this is a must-buy.  It's very skippable.  If one player buys it, others can still deny them their points without buying Secret Plot themselves.

Castellan

Pretty weak -- almost a gimped Steward.

The comparison doesn't make sense to me because this is draw AND trash, not to mention a discard that isn't part of Steward at all.

Ironworker

Well, either this, or Narcissist, or both, are priced wrong.  I think both.

Hard to say if either is priced correctly, but both might be fine.  Ironworker only discards one card, which is often less powerful than Narcissist which can discard a bunch.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 17, 2013, 07:04:57 pm »

Ballot changes!

Visiting Dignitary

At the author's request, I'm changing the wording of Paladin so that players only discard if they have 4 or more cards in hand.

Visiting Dignitary -- Pretty weird.  It generally works out to "gain a Duchy/alt VP" except it helps empty an extra pile.  I suppose the intention is to facilitate alt VP rushes?  I fear that this is either useless or too powerful if it makes it easy to win by piling on this and Duchies and something else.  Hard to say without playing with it though.

Ironworker
Waaaaay too strong at $2. It's like Crossroads, but better because you can chain it much more easily. Maybe bearable at $3-4?
[/quote]

I honestly don't see how this is super powerful.  It's not easier to chain than Crossroads because you don't get both cards and actions at the same time (unless you are discarding Great Hall/Islands/Nobles) and you are limited to +3 Cards at a time, whereas Crossroads provides +3 actions up front and can explode in a Madman-esque fashion.  Ironworker's +actions are expensive because you have to discard another action and the money option is just terminal +$2.  The draw is passable but it can whiff, and it's still terminal.  Maybe the VP draw is enough to justify $3, but that's all I see.  The other options are sub $2.

cluckyb

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 17, 2013, 07:09:22 pm »

I don't see why this is a must-buy.  It's very skippable.  If one player buys it, others can still deny them their points without buying Secret Plot themselves.

Can they?

If we have the same number of secret plots (in a two player game) killing a card I haven't already killed denies you points. Either I get the points because it doesn't match, or you don't get them.  But if I lose the secret plot battle 10-2, now if I don't hide the right card I lose 8 points.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 17, 2013, 07:16:22 pm »

Can they?

If we have the same number of secret plots (in a two player game) killing a card I haven't already killed denies you points. Either I get the points because it doesn't match, or you don't get them.  But if I lose the secret plot battle 10-2, now if I don't hide the right card I lose 8 points.

Hmm.  So you think that the Plotter will be able to hide a variety of cards and get lots of points out of it, which the non-Plotter can't contend with unless he also picks up the card.  I just feel like it would be too slow to buy unique cards just to try to hide them away.  Keep in mind that the Plotter is helping opponents trim down their decks, and they actually get to buy and use power cards whereas the plotter is using them for fodder.  Maybe I'm underestimating the cost-benefit here though and the Plot points are a big deal.  It is 1:1.  Maybe 1VP per 2 unique cards would be better then.

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 17, 2013, 07:22:31 pm »

Regardless of its (potentially fixable) balance issues, I think Secret Plot has a lot of potential. I like the card and although playtesting may prove me wrong, I think it's potentially an interesting and fun mechanic.

cluckyb

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 17, 2013, 08:06:37 pm »

Can they?

Hmm.  So you think that the Plotter will be able to hide a variety of cards and get lots of points out of it, which the non-Plotter can't contend with unless he also picks up the card.  I just feel like it would be too slow to buy unique cards just to try to hide them away.  Keep in mind that the Plotter is helping opponents trim down their decks, and they actually get to buy and use power cards whereas the plotter is using them for fodder.  Maybe I'm underestimating the cost-benefit here though and the Plot points are a big deal.  It is 1:1.  Maybe 1VP per 2 unique cards would be better then.

So its like Bishop in that regard. Except can get you a lot more points per trash if you get lucky. Unless the other guy defends, and the only way to defend is to a) get rid of your good cards yourself and hope you get lucky matching or b) go after the card yourself and that way even if you dont match your good cards, the points are a wash.

It certainly is an interesting card, but if one player goes after it I agree that it is kind of impossible for the other player to ignore even if they don't actually buy it themselves.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 08:23:46 pm by cluckyb »

ConMan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 17, 2013, 08:21:34 pm »

At last! Now, to remember which card is the one I submitted, so I don't denigrate it too much.
Actually, scratch that. I just took another look at my card and it is terrible. Literally terrible and completely unfixable.

Ballot changes!

Visiting Dignitary

Visiting Dignitary -- Pretty weird.  It generally works out to "gain a Duchy/alt VP" except it helps empty an extra pile.  I suppose the intention is to facilitate alt VP rushes?  I fear that this is either useless or too powerful if it makes it easy to win by piling on this and Duchies and something else.  Hard to say without playing with it though.

Ironworker

I honestly don't see how this is super powerful.  It's not easier to chain than Crossroads because you don't get both cards and actions at the same time (unless you are discarding Great Hall/Islands/Nobles) and you are limited to +3 Cards at a time, whereas Crossroads provides +3 actions up front and can explode in a Madman-esque fashion.  Ironworker's +actions are expensive because you have to discard another action and the money option is just terminal +$2.  The draw is passable but it can whiff, and it's still terminal.  Maybe the VP draw is enough to justify $3, but that's all I see.  The other options are sub $2.
Maybe I overspoke? Still, while Crossroads can and will explode, it only does so on an already green deck, and since it only gives you the +3 Actions once per turn there's a limit to how much you can stack them. With this, on the other hand, besides the interaction with multi-type cards there's the fact that with any other decent draw in your deck it's a super-Village and a combination of this and random green cards is, in my opinion, at least as good as Crossroads. Think about how much this would power up a Scrying Pool+stackable terminal deck. So definitely $3, maybe $4.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 17, 2013, 08:33:51 pm »

Ironworker

Maybe I overspoke? Still, while Crossroads can and will explode, it only does so on an already green deck, and since it only gives you the +3 Actions once per turn there's a limit to how much you can stack them. With this, on the other hand, besides the interaction with multi-type cards there's the fact that with any other decent draw in your deck it's a super-Village and a combination of this and random green cards is, in my opinion, at least as good as Crossroads. Think about how much this would power up a Scrying Pool+stackable terminal deck. So definitely $3, maybe $4.

Fair enough.  $3 maybe.  I think $4 is too much though.  Scrying Pool is a combo but even then it doesn't seem that amazing.  You get an extra action over Village but you also have to discard an action card.  SP has actions to spare so it's not as big a deal, but it still matters. 

Can they?

So its like Bishop in that regard. Except can get you a lot more points per trash if you get lucky. Unless the other guy defends, and the only way to defend is to a) get rid of your good cards yourself and hope you get lucky matching or b) go after the card yourself and that way even if you dont match your good cards, the points are a wash.

It certainly is an interesting card, but if one player goes after it I agree that it is kind of impossible for the other player to ignore even if they don't actually buy it themselves.

Well, Bishop gives points for trashing Coppers and Estates whereas this almost certainly won't.  And it's an Island, so you're not really going to get anything off of Province and Duchy either (and note that opponents can safely tuck those away, whereas they could not with Bishop).  On the other cards though -- I wonder if it would be possible to deduce what cards an opponent dropped based on what you see them play.  Like, you know they bought a Smithy but it doesn't seem to ever be played.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 08:37:01 pm by eHalcyon »

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 17, 2013, 08:43:28 pm »
+1

Logothete

Sort of a Crossroads variant, except I'm placing my Victory cards at the bottom of my deck. I guess that's ok if I don't have too many Victory cards in hand, but otherwise I'm just giving myself a dead turn later on. The double reveal wording was a bit strange at first but I guess its ok. Doesn't make me excited though.

Cold Iron

Margrave/Ghost ship for $4? Seems strong, since it's also a Treasure and the reaction part is really good. If fact it probably would make people avoid most attack cards. It's essentially a Trader, and a Moat and better than topdecking from watchtower. At least the card doesn't stack which is good though. Still should probably be $5, if not more. Also not sure why it need to a VP card. The 1VP is just sort of there with no reason for it except to give it more types.

Sphinx (1)

Funny card, but not sure how well it'll play. The more I play the more guesses everyone has, but it's really hard to guess how many cards someone will play. It'll also slow the game down as people count how many cards are left in supply piles. PStone is already annoying IRL, and this will be slower for sure.

Sphinx (2)

Super Steward type card. Seems ok, but not exciting to me.

Paladin

I like the Alt VP part, but it's not cool to shut out other players. Think is a 4 player game, where you're player 4. Chances are you'll play a lot of hands with no cards. Not fun. Keep the bottom but change the top part to something reasonable.

Landlord

It's at most a duchy, and is a Village on play only if you have another Victory card. It sort of works with itself since it can Discard other Landlords. I think it's a decent card that might get on of my votes.

Dance

Same as Paladin, it's not cool to be able to shut out other players. Think about 4 players when you make discard attacks. Also the reaction is strange. It's sort of random, and with the top might not activate often since everyone is just top decking cards all the time. The choice is strange and I feel it's weak as a card overall. Not much of an attack since you're doing it to yourself too, and we all know Chancellor is weak to begin with, so Chancellor without $2 and letting everyone else get the advantage too is worse.

Quartermaster

It's ok as an idea, but it can still leave people with no cards in hand, especially with more than 2 players. This is the 3rd card with this problem so far.

Concerto

This is weak. It can be a cantrip, non-terminal copper or a Moat. And putting a card on the bottom of your deck isn't great, since it'll miss the next shuffle anyway. Would be fine at $2, maybe still weak at that price too.

Architect
+1 Action. +$2.

Wow this is good. Festival becomes +2cards +2actions +1buy, which is better than a level 2 city. This is too good for almost any price in my opinion, and certainly too good if it's non-terminal.

Acropolis

Not sure how good this will be, considering Diadem is already not great. It gives actions to power other Acropolises. The first one will be a Neropolis, the second a Village, the third a Lab. It needs another source of +actions, but then it might get too good.

Prefecture

Worth 2 VP.

I really like this card. It's an action-Victory which has a reason to be duel-type, and the on play effect is pretty good. Not sure it's a $5 though, because it's  a non-terminal lab with 1 card always being a VP card, the other possibly being good and possible discarding a bunch of other good cards. And what if the top card is VP? Then it's just +1card. Will probably get a vote from me anyway, since these things can be fixed.

Nabob

It's a Remodle variant with an attack possibility. Trash Copper, give everyone else a copper. Or players can throw a Curse back at each other. Interesting I guess, but mostly feels like Remodel with +2cards added on.

Courtier

I like this card, although straight Duchy gaining is pretty good to open with. It's a superb Duke enabler, even if it were $5. Will lead to crazy fast games, as people can empty the Duchies really fast, still gain Silvers and people might gain Estates with other people's Courtier.

Monastery

Gaining $6 cards, with a good bonus for each opponent. Interesting, but might be too good with Highway, since it leads to easy Province gaining.

Lawyer

Makes 5/2 starts good, but swingy. Hitting an estate will be amazing, putting one player way ahead of the other, or it's almost worse than Workshop and Hermit. Too swingy for me I think.

Lord

Worth 1 VP.

$$$ version in a Menagerie style. It's ok, but I feel it's more a Cornucopia card. I would submit it to that contest.

Bailey

Worth 1 VP.

Another card that has good reason to be a duel-type. Could be a nice addition to an engine and a Village/virtual money card. I like it.

Wall

I wasn't sure about this card at first, but I actually like it. It's good against a lot of attack cards, and the Caller reaction is interesting. A few things that might make it better is to look at the top 2 cards, not 1, and to set aside the card for the reaction and discard them at the start of your next turn. It makes tracking the cards easier.

Overseer

Just no. Too many words, and overly complicated for no good reason. It's like Band of Misfits a la boring.

Shrine

Worth 2 VP.

Duel-type card for no reason. VP is just tacked on and otherwise it's just a trasher that turns into a cantrip later. Not interesting.

Committee

Not a bad card. People would name coppers an Estate at the start, and the good cards later on. Should have something about VP cards though, because even the chance of gaining Provinces is very strong.

Taylor-Compton

Worth 1 VP.

Interesting that it works well with itself, but it's mostly Secret Hall (Great Hall with Secret Chamber added on).

Usurer

I'm guessing it's supposed to be Usurper. It's either a Secret Chamber or a super Militia that its only good if you can discard to under 5 cards without hurting your hand. I don't imagine it'll that good since often you'll have to sacrifice a lot of your turn in order to hurt your opponents.

Dungeon

Non-terminal Chapel (almost). That's really good. The alt VP is interesting, but often won't be worth more than 3VP anyway. Still could be very rewarding to get a deck of $5 cards and power these up to get a lot of points. The top is just not that motivating though. I'll consider giving it a vote.

Majordomo

Basically this is only worth it if you discard an action card. Victory get's you nothing, Treasure only replaces the cards in your hand, and Action is a Stables, but you'll probably want to play your action cards, not discard them. Discarding coppers I can see, but I don't see much more usefulness than that. Maybe I'm missing something

Wedding

Non-terminal trasher is strong. And it's an attack. Interesting that it can't Curse more than once unless you already have card draw and enough cards to trash. Feels like a Mercenary with a choice that can Curse. I like it, and may vote for it.

Liege

Sooo, it rewards you if someone else has a bad hand. I think it's just going to be not fun, getting a bad hand that causes your opponent to get an amazing turn. It's good against Alt-VP rushes as they'll have a high VP density, but otherwise it may not be worth it. Also it's has a huge first player advantage since he discards all the VP cards, then the next player (in a game with more than 2 people) has only the first player's hand to work with.

Traitor
+$1. Choose one: Name a card costing up to $3 and each other player with 5 or more cards in hand discards a copy of the named card (or reveals a hand without it); or, choose an Attack card from your hand and play it twice.

The attack itself is swingy, but I like how it can throne itself, let you see their hand then let you discard a card of choice. I realize it takes 2 Traitors in hand to do this, but Pillage is a one shot, so this might get frustrating and overpowered.

Homestead
+2 Actions. Reveal cards from the top of your deck unti you reveal a Victory card. Put that card into your hand and discard the rest.

Worth 1 VP.

Village that draws either itself of a dead card, while possibly skipping you good cards. Probably ok at $3, since its end result is Village and has equal chance to help or hurt your deck (could skip Curses/Ruins/Coppers). At least it's duel-type for the function of the card and simply because.

Observatory

Interesting. Not much to say about it, but it seems fun. Might be strong though.

Tiller

This one I really like. Not sure how it will play out, and it might be harmfull to play it too much since you'll get loaded with terminals like Adventurer. I would be good in Colony games where trashing Gold will get you Platinum.

Architect

Architect #2. Remodel/Salvager in one card. Nothing new really, but it seems ok.

Groundskeeper

This honestly seems like a Seaside card. It's all setting up for later. The vanilla bonus is just so strange. 1+card discard a card? and +$1?

Heir

Do you do this for every heir? Because then I'll have no Estates left. Could be good on a Cursing board with no trashing, since it's guaranteed Curse removal. The no treasure thing will basically never happen either. I should say trash 3 Treasures, not Coppers. And I don't like doing things after the game is done. It's done, why am I still trashing stuff?

Mob

Seems like a really good Jester. Doesn't really interest me.

Nouveau Riche

The last one being "Discard a Victory" is really confusing. I just discarded a Victory, so I should get that bonus! It would be less confusing to put it at the start, and I don't see how it would change the card at all. I feel like overall you would often get +3cards +1action. It doesn't seem all that difficult to activate. It's ok I guess.

Hidden Passage

This is better for your opponents than it is for you. I don't think I would ever buy this. Ever.

Legate

Again, like the previous card it helps you opponents a lot. It's sifting + hand increase for them and you only get a mildly better thing than they do.

Secret Plot

I can't see this being worth it. Everyone will put Copper and Estate (free trashing for everyone! Yay!) and then you have to buy expensive cards just to line them up with Secret Plot and waste them on the mat. The time and effort needed to make this good is too much. Its like Fairgrounds that can be stopped easily and requires you to throw away good cards.

Castellan

Interesting, but I don't see it being that good. You'll probably be helping their hand more than hurting it, unless you also hurt your hand. Not sure I like it that much.

Inquisitor

I don't like it. I'm mean. That's all.

Narcissist

I feel this will be good. I hate Harvast because it discards my good cards. This require me to discard good cards if I want a good result. I don't think it'll often be more than +$2 +2cards. Maybe +4cards in the end game.

Ironworker

Every card that has the Ironworks/Ironmonger thing seems to suck with action cards. Why would I use this as my village, ever? It's good to bump your money at the start by discarding coppers and Estates. It's ok, maybe strong for a $2, but prices can change.

Warden

Feels like Nobles, but with a Remodel ability instead of VP. Probably a good card, but feels like it's all been done before. Maybe it's just that the list is long, but I'm not that interested.

Cannoneer

Cannoneer? It's not Seaside anymore :P. This feels really strong. It'll always junk, or it'll trash a good card.

That's all I have to say. Man that was long to write up.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 17, 2013, 08:48:45 pm »
+3

I don't really care for comments like "too strong" or "too weak", unless the strongness/weakness is unfixable, which is probably a minority of cases, then I feel like it should almost not be evaluated here. The proposed mechanic or general idea should.

ChocophileBenj

• Minion
  • Respect: +575
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 17, 2013, 09:03:18 pm »
+1

Let's go !
(I didn't read all of previous comments, and one of those cards is neither taxman nor counterfeit, but mine)

Logothete
Wow ! +1 card/+$1 for each victory card is too strong ! 2 victory cards : an Inn +$2. And all of it to sacrifice one bad hand at bottom of deck, maybe more ? Well, I don't know ! At least it synergizes nicely with scout !

Cold Iron

Four types ! I pretty dislike this. The attack part is a bit poor because it is far less disturbing than the double top-decking of Ghost ship, plus it may help him "Thanks, I draw a Watchtower !"

Sphinx (A)

Too political and swingy and not in the spirit of Dominion.

Sphinx (B)
Another complicated card...
Choice 1 : seems weak if it were alone
Choice 2 : +3 cards, -$1, I don't know
Choice 3 : either a worse steward (since you need 3 cards to trash) or something interesting if you TR/KC/Proc several times the choice $3 before

Paladin
+1 Action. Choose one: Each player (including you) with 4 or more cards in hand discards a card; or each player (including you) draws until he has 4 cards in hand.

I dislike cards depending on attack cards. Look at Silk road and Trade route : the more victory cards you have in the supply, the more likely they may be interesting, but because you always have 3 victory cards in the supply (4 with SR), it's always worth something !

Landlord

Action part is nice, and Victory part is always at least one VP, but rarely 2. There is also a risk of an over-combo by depleting several piles simultaneously at the last turn but this isn't a concern.

Dance

A new reaction trigger, but not that interesting.
I miss the point of this card, since there is no "true" action (there should be some +$2) the reaction is worse than smithy and doesn't always happens, except if really good engine...

Quartermaster
I hate the "share a type with" and it's essentially "I discard so I hope you discard".
Victory card : mostly useless, except sometimes you hope to make them discard their province (Tournament, explorer, province into province)
Action card : too swingy if you hope to discard a smithy that would be dead otherwise to mountebank, may be frustating if you and your opponents both go for an engine

Concerto
A mix between Ironmonger and Scavenger. In BM you will mostly choose +1 act +$1 and get back your platinums. In engine you WILL get your action cards, it's nice but a bit weak. And I don't see why you would get back a pure victory card.

Architect (A)
+1 Action. +$2.

Assuming you know how many $s you generate everytime you play an action card, I think this is possible (catch me if I'm wrong), but it may be boring.
Woodcutter would be +2 cards, +1 buy for $3. Weaker than another winner of this contest. (I nearly won :( )
Festival would be the best : +2 cards +2 actions. Now, try to set it up !
Salvager gives you the most virtual $s at once and would be thus a worse apprentice, so why not.
It's not that terrible !
But I'm feared it's not that great, too !

Acropolis
Stacking village ^^. It plays differently if there are other villages around. But it's like King's court, it's dreadful if you chain can them ! Not interesting enough, though, because setting it up isn't easy !

Prefecture

Worth 2 VP.
What's the point ? It skips your good cards for a victory card, so in this sense this is even worse than scout, and it anti-comboes with itself !
2nd read : "put it and one other revealed card" LOOOL ! so... I mostly dislike it.

Nabob
Definitely stronger than Remodel and Butcher. Looks a bit like ambassador except when good $2s.

Courtier
Hey, what's all this copper gaining ?
Gaining duchies when game ends is dreadful too ! I think I don't like it.

Monastery
Really interesting idea, but let's analyse the nerf :
-trashing : okay
-gaining copper into hand : I hate this idea, but why not
-minioning (or mulliganing) : maybe the most powerful, especially when combined with the first choice !
Too wordy so I bet it won't pass, but I like it.

Lawyer
Swingyness... may be too risky if there are nothing interesting but silver at $3 and if there are key $5 such as minion/hunting party... it's even worse if you TR/KC this since the action card doesn't get discarded.

Lord

Worth 1 VP.
Another idea that wanted to be orignal but is poor. The fact that you have to keep it in hand to play it is terrible.

Bailey

Worth 1 VP.
As some people said, it may be too easily a +1 action +$4, or a +2 actions +$2 so it's too strong !

Wall

The three options may make it a poor $4.
Interesting reaction though.

Overseer

A bit boring, but why not...

Shrine

Worth 2 VP.
Either a great hall, either a VP cards that trashes your smaller cards ? Well, at least it's nice with an engine. But there may be some more exciting ideas to explore.

Committee
Interesting gamer... or not !

Taylor-Compton

Worth 1 VP.
Poorer oasis that works only on victory cards, but several at once. I think it's fine, and making it a victory card sets an  interesting dilemna.

Usurer
I play many action card, I discard my hand, so do the players. I win. Perfect.
No, down to 3 cards in hand is good !

Dungeon

Way stronger than chapel and than shrine above. May easily be $3, maybe $5.

Majordomo
A poorer stables ? Seems nice...

Wedding
Non-terminal attacker like this leads to boring games...

Liege
So it's +2*(max # of victory cards in your opponent's hand). Too bad it doesn't stack well, though !

Traitor
Too frustating to force the opponent to discard his only village. Nope !

Homestead

Worth 1 VP.
I tried exactly the same card with "+1 card +1 action" instead of "+2 actions" ^^ and it was just a Scout-like to them.

Observatory
Nope !

Tiller
Worse than remodel ! I miss the point.

Architect (B)

Groundskeeper
Hey, it may be a strong island-like if you manage to play it each turn and to exile your victory card. I miss the point of the second option.

Heir
Do you choose one option per victory card, or not  ?
The first case may make it fun (but not for casuals). The 2nd (one choice right now) may be poor because it's rare to have 3 coppers or fewer in your deck.

Mob
Even worse (in terms of fun, not strength) than Smugglers !

Nouveau Riche

Too complicated. Interesting in terms of cycling.

Hidden Passage
This time, I really miss the point. Something must have been forgotten somewhere !

Legate
Hey, may look like an attack !
Should be "any order he chooses" ^^ .
Not interesting enough...

Secret Plot

Like a "Petit bac" ? (don't know how it's named in French) okay, maybe.

Castellan
Wow ! How do you want me to play it ?

Inquisitor
Nearly strictly worse than Militia. They will only gain curse in the end of game.

Narcissist
When tribute meets Cornucopia and stays in your own deck...

Ironworker
Nice enough ! At least !

Warden
Too complicated with the second choice ! It's too easy to get lost !

Cannoneer
Vanilla bonus is kinda meh, and attack part is interesting.

Visiting Dignitary
[/quote]
"trash this. Gain a copy of this"... well, no. And I dislike the idea of a Duchy-grabber !
Chocolate is like victory points in Dominion. Both taste good but they'll hurt you if you eat too much of it instead of something else in your early days.

ConMan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 17, 2013, 09:20:37 pm »

Architect (B)
So, Remodel crossed with Salvager+. Not hugely exciting, but not a bad variant on the concept.

Groundskeeper
This feels ... Seaside-y, even if it's more "affect several turns in the future" rather than "next turn". Needs a "look through your discard pile" wording, but on the whole the mechanic is really nice for people who strategise and control their shuffles, but otherwise a little boring.

Heir
An Endgame card! How exciting! And a bit of a weird alt-VP card, especially since you could technically choose different options for each Heir to try to maximise how much each one's worth. Probably a little too AP-inducing, but I really like the underlying idea.

Mob
A Jester variant that I think is a bit too swingy and junk-happy (even compared to the original Jester) - assuming there's no good Copper-trashing, you'll have a good chance of being able to give everyone Coppers, which makes it more likely you'll be able to give them Coppers on the next play, which makes it more likely ...

Nouveau Riche

A little complicated, works really nicely with Tunnel, pretty terrible in a Shelters game, but fairly decent otherwise.

Hidden Passage
Feels like an Attack to me, and even allowing for the choice between two cards this is a top-of-deck trasher which tends to be painful and swingy.

Legate
Not bad, as a Peddler-variant probably needs to cost $5. Kind of non-Attacky interaction? Cruel combination with Minion, though.

Secret Plot

Tricky, and I assume you count the VP they're worth first *then* return the cards otherwise it's a little pointless. Also, feels Seaside-y again with it being like a variant of Island (and a little Cornucopia-y with the push to having as much variety as possible). But as an idea, it's kind of cool.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11  All

Page created in 5.81 seconds with 22 queries.