Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Analyzing a board  (Read 8798 times)

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +856
    • View Profile
Re: Analyzing a board
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2011, 11:54:14 am »

Thanks, that's a huge help.
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

Marcus316

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2011, 03:17:27 pm »

As another player just getting the hang of strategy, there's one other aspect of board analysis that seems to be missing here, that has hurt me a number of times ... if you've identified a strategy or combo to play, before you buy, take one last look at the kingdom looking for cards that counter your strategy.

A recent Duke/Duchy game I tried to play, not realizing that Swindlers was on the board (which can pretty effectively thrash a Duke/Duchy strategy all on its own): http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20111130-214052-591ba2d1.html

Note that I'm still not a great player, so I was likely on my way to losing anyways, but just illustrating one more aspect of board analysis that I think I'm going to have to pay attention to more myself. :)

Manto

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2011, 07:22:29 pm »

Two things to add related to +Buy:

1) The absence of +Buy cards

When there's no +Buy cards, cards like cellar and warehouse become can become key buys in first two rounds.  Why?  Warehouse and Cellar are less powerful in early game but more powerful later when you are greening, for it trades the copper and greens in your hand into bigger treasure.  But when there's no +Buy on the board, there tend to be no "good time" to buy these low cost cards, because you're often with higher $ total where you want to buy Duchy, Gold, or Province.

On another hand, when you see Herbalist or Woodcutter being the only +Buy in the game, they could be worth buying early as well.  Getting the extra Estate along with your final Province makes a huge difference in a VP race.

2) Trash-upgrade cards (Expand, Forge, Remodel)

They are like +Buy when you're greening.  Instead of having $10 and buy just a province, you can remodel your Silver into a tiebreaking Duchy while buying the Province with $8.  This effect is enhanced with cards like Peddler.  These cards in general can help you to rush to VPs in late game, but in a game without +Buy, these are even more important for can provide you that tiebreaking edge.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 1.279 seconds with 20 queries.