Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Analyzing a board  (Read 8757 times)

zmook

• Herbalist
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
Analyzing a board
« on: November 10, 2011, 04:06:19 pm »

I suck at Dominion, but my impression is that the key to winning is usually to analyze the board better than your opponent does.  Well, that and to draw well.  I'm trying to get better at that, and am working on a checklist of things to look for:

* Trashing
* Strong attacks
* Drawing
* Villages (+2 actions)
* Cantrips (+1 actions)
* +Buy

Combos are obviously important, but beyond memorization, I'm not sure what to do to help recognize them faster.  How do you decide when there's a strong enough engine available, and when to just go for money?

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +937
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
Re: Analyzing a board
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 04:52:16 pm »
+5

Your check-list is very good.  That pretty much covers the main things it's important to look for in single cards.

Regarding combos, it probably seems like a lot of memorization, but not as much as it seems.  Once you've used a particular combo successfully, it'll probably be second nature to you:  you'll remember your success with it and probably not miss it the next time it comes up.  You only tend to have to memorize combos before you've actually used them.

More significantly, however, is that you don't need to know all the specific combos (of which there are far too many to memorize), just the types of combos.  For example, Mining Village/Rabble is roughly the same engine as Farming Village/Torturer.  You don't have to remember all the different combinations of villages and drawers, just that you can build an engine out of one of each.  Some instances of this engine (Fishing Village/Torturer) are better than others (Village/Smithy), but you can evaluate any given pairing on a case-by-case basis once you've spotted one in a kingdom.

Another example type of combo is "hand size increaser" plus "something that's more powerful with a lot of cards in hand."  This could be Tactician/Coppersmith or Laboratories/Bank or something like that.  Spot one piece in the kingdom, look for the other.

Another one:  "thing that wants another specific thing in your hand" (Tournament, Baron, Treasure Map, Fool's Gold) probably all combo nicely with "thing that improves your hand" (Cellar, Warehouse, Laboratory, Stables).

Strong attacks are definitely important to spot, as you've noted.  But upon spotting an attack, check to see if there's a defense for it.  Once again, it's not important to remember specifically that, for example, Farming Village is a good counter to Rabble.  Instead, you can just remember "top-deck manipulator is a good counter for top-deck junker."  By remembering that one rule, you can recognize a wide range of individual combos:  namely, that if Rabble, Bureaucrat, Sea Hag, Fortune Teller, Spy, or Scrying Pool is on the table, any of Farming Village, Cartographer, Scout, Navigator, Jack of All Trades, or Lookout is probably a defense for it.

Once you get a feel for the types of combos to look out for, there isn't much left to memorize, as there are surprisingly few combos that are truly unique (Native Village/Bridge being one).  The more common categories of combos are what's important to train yourself to spot, and like I say these start to become second nature once you've been successful using them in practice a couple times.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 04:56:20 pm by rinkworks »

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 05:22:56 pm »
+2

One things to look for that might be considered a "next step" might be looking for cards of different costs. If you're planning a deck full of wharves and bazaars then you're stuck every time you have 4 to spend. You could go even further and plan what you're going to buy when you have each amount of coins to spend.

Another step might be to pair trashing with gaining. If you can refill your deck quickly after trashing out the rubbish then you are doing far better than when you buy one new card each turn. Another good consideration is that gaining usually comes at the expense of spending, so gains and buys are not natural partners.

You could also think about sequencing your buys and/or deciding whether a card will arrive too late. If you're remodelling an estate to make an ironworks to gain a potion that buys a university that gains a trading post then it's all taking too long.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 05:29:30 pm by DG »

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1855
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 06:38:10 pm »

One thing I would add to your checklist is "alternative win conditions." When you see, e.g., bishop, goons, gardens, or vineyards, ask if these cards
1. have enough helpers on the board that they are viable as strategies in and of themselves, i.e. worth foregoing the province/colony piles for,
2. don't have enough such helpers, but might be worth picking up a couple of for points on the side.
or
3. are wastes of time in this game (e.g. gardens with no way to buy or gain cards)

By the way, I think you're basically right that some memorization is involved, although the game is fun enough that it's not so tedious just to learn from your mistakes.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 07:35:35 pm »
+3

As mentioned by ehunt, your list of things to look for is missing the most important thing: sources of points. At the end of the day, all you care about is points. This should really be the first thing you look for. In the case of the base game, theory pointed out in some article that the first thing you check for is garden+workshop. This generalizes to overall always noticing where you can possibly get points. Colonies are the obvious example. And gardens/vineyards/silk roads/goons/fairgrounds can lead to province-free strats. But even just something like nobles or islands can allow you to play slower strategies knowing that being down 2-3 provinces may not be insurmountable.

The things I look for, in order are:
1. VPs: as mentioned above
2. Attacks:  not just because you want to buy them (which you basically always do for cursing attacks), but because eventually whatever strategy you choose needs to be able to handle the attacks! Even things that are often weak like pirate ship or thief can destroy strategies that ignore them (i.e. thin decks with high-value money)
3. +Buy (or gain): One of the biggest factors influencing game pace is +buy. If you can only get 1 card per turn, you really can't afford to fall behind on provinces, but with +buy/gain, you can build an engine faster, and then use it to get multiple VP cards per turn to catch up
4. Trashing: Trashing is a major factor in choosing a strategy. Many combos require trashing (or pseudo-trashing, like warehouse/cellar) in order to increase the chances of draw specific cards together.

Other stuff like villages and drawing are more strategy specific, and not as generally important as these 4 things.

Having looked at these 4 things, you should have a sense of if you can get away with going for an action-heavy strategy, or if you have to go money-heavy. With no alternative VPs, pace-slowing attacks, buys, or trashing, big money with a couple actions is most often the way to go. The more of these things are present, the better chance you have of getting away with something more fancy.

At this point, you just start looking at the expensive cards. Usually you want to build your strategy around a $5+ card or potion-cost card. There are strategies that don't, and you'll learn to recognize them as well (things where the key card is conspirator, tournament, menagerie, etc...), but usually is the $5 cards that are most important. For each of them, think of what goes well with them, and see if the appropriate kind of combo card is available. Generally drawing cards want villages and vice versa. Hand-size increasers want stuff that works with big hands and vice versa. Cards that discard your whole hand (minion, tactician) want disappearing money. Yada, yada, yada. Having looked at the available support for all the strategy-defining cards, choose the one you think is going to work out best. Then do a double-check to make sure it can handle those attacks, and that you think its going to be faster than big money!

Octo

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 04:33:54 am »

Another consideration is that really you only need to decide your first couple buys at this point. Often it'll be an action that can go in one of many ways from turn 3 onwards, + a silver. It's definitely good to think the board through, but you'll have more information after the first two turns when you see what your opponents buy - this information could change your plan. So I try to avoid planning games out too far at the beginning and consider only planning as far as I need to (though obviously to do so I will have to think further ahead than just next turn!)

Mean Mr Mustard

• Witch
  • First to 5000 Isotropic wins
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 09:36:55 pm »

Also, there is a trap that even veterans fall into, well at least I do regularly: a strong combo on one board may be too slow on another.  Trying to repeat previous victories without careful consideration of the other options on the board is a good way to lose handily.

My main concern when sizing up a board is usually to decide whether the engine cards sync well enough to beat a heavy treasure strategy.  Money strategies coupled with one or two strong terminals (Jack of all Trades and Masquerade being perhaps the strongest) are usually able to buy four Provinces by around turn 15.  The best engines that I have played can do the same by turn 12.  There isn't a lot of room for error.  Heavy attacks put these numbers back, and serious disruption can undo both money and engine strategies and therefore should be carefully considered.  For example, in my final match against DG in the IsoDom tourney I had a great Hunting Party engine that was just destroyed by his constant Saboteur attacks, a card that is usually poo-pooed but ground my deck to a halt and even attacked the lead I had already established.
Jake <a href=http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201203/17/game-20120317-030206-6456f97c.html>opening: opening: Silver / Jack of All Trades</a>
<b>IsoDom1 Winner:  shark_bait
IsoDom2 Winner: Rabid
Isodom3 Winner: Fabian</b>
Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalie ar Atanatári, Utúlie'n auré!

zmook

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2011, 03:32:52 pm »

My main concern when sizing up a board is usually to decide whether the engine cards sync well enough to beat a heavy treasure strategy.

How do you do that?  Just by experience?

It seems to me probably the worst feature of Dominion, that Big Money is so effective, and boring to play.

Mean Mr Mustard

• Witch
  • First to 5000 Isotropic wins
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2011, 11:06:26 pm »

How do you do that?  Just by experience?

Poorly, at least in the last couple of months.  I have been definitely erring on the side of not building enough engines, and losing quite a few games because of it.  I do not have a formula, and even the best strats are undone by poor luck.  So yes, for me anyway, it is a gut-check moment when making this decision.
Jake <a href=http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201203/17/game-20120317-030206-6456f97c.html>opening: opening: Silver / Jack of All Trades</a>
<b>IsoDom1 Winner:  shark_bait
IsoDom2 Winner: Rabid
Isodom3 Winner: Fabian</b>
Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalie ar Atanatári, Utúlie'n auré!

Young Nick

• Minion
  • Respect: +274
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2011, 12:33:50 am »

I have no helpful advice to add, but I must say that this is probably one of the best threads on the entire forum for intermediate players. It is really such an important aspect of the game that is often overlooked.

I would say you should remember not to fall in love with your strategy, because you might not be able to stick to it. I have lost many a game sticking to my obviously inferior strategy. Tactics are not to be forgotten.

Epoch

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2011, 01:22:59 pm »

Mean Mr. Mustard alluded to this, but probably didn't say it strongly enough: one of the things that you should ALWAYS check for are the Actions that are intensely strong in a "one or two of these plus Big Money" strat.  I think that this is a roughly ordered, fairly exhaustive list of them:

1.  Masquerade
2.  Jack of All Trades
3.  Embassy
4.  Courtyard
5.  Envoy
6.  Torturer
7.  Wharf
8.  Smithy or Rabble

Especially in Province games, if you see one of those in play, you have to seriously ask whether any possible strategy on the board will beat those cards plus barely modified Big Money.  Most of the time, the answer is "no."

zmook

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2011, 01:49:39 pm »

Especially in Province games, if you see one of those in play, you have to seriously ask whether any possible strategy on the board will beat those cards plus barely modified Big Money.  Most of the time, the answer is "no."

Interesting, good point.  Should Vault be on the list?

Epoch

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2011, 02:16:43 pm »

I'm not sure -- I kind of threw that list together off the top of my head -- but my sense is that Vault, while strong alone, plays better with other Actions than most cards on that list, thus making it more worthwhile to consider synergies.  For perhaps the same reason, maybe Torturer should come OFF the list, because obviously if Torturer is on the board with any kind of Village, Village/Torturer will almost always beat single Torturer.

Most of those cards are "big terminal drawers," which means that they don't play well with other Actions, while improving your current hand a lot (so you can buy Gold/other big Treasures) and cycle your deck (so you can get to those big cards you bought).

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2011, 02:38:01 pm »

I'm not sure -- I kind of threw that list together off the top of my head -- but my sense is that Vault, while strong alone, plays better with other Actions than most cards on that list, thus making it more worthwhile to consider synergies.  For perhaps the same reason, maybe Torturer should come OFF the list, because obviously if Torturer is on the board with any kind of Village, Village/Torturer will almost always beat single Torturer.

Most of those cards are "big terminal drawers," which means that they don't play well with other Actions, while improving your current hand a lot (so you can buy Gold/other big Treasures) and cycle your deck (so you can get to those big cards you bought).

I think Courtyard is another card which works better with other Actions than with BM- it's only a net +2 Cards, and the top-decking lets you add more terminals with less fear.  Possibly Rabble too, since $5 for a Smithy is underwhelming unless you can make the attack count, and it counts best if you can stack 'em.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 02:41:27 pm by chwhite »
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2011, 02:41:35 pm »

Courtyard works well with one other strong action. IIRC Courtyard/Monument beats 2x Courtyard, for example. But you definitely don't want to build an engine with it.

olneyce

• 2011 DS Champion
  • Respect: +210
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2011, 02:56:42 pm »

I think Courtyard is another card which works better with other Actions than with BM- it's only a net +2 Cards, and the top-decking lets you add more terminals with less fear.
That's certainly true, but it seems like the top-decking function of Courtyard also works plenty well with Big Money.  It can ensure that you don't go too far over $8, and ensures that you can place a gold in your next hand if you're not going to be able to make $8. 

How often does Smithy produces precisely $8? If drawing three cards puts you over or under $8, there's a decent chance that Courtyard is more valuable, no?

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2011, 03:22:53 pm »

Courtyard is silly good in Big Money. Donald hinted at how he miscosted it in his Mandarin preview.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2011, 07:25:45 pm »
+1

Courtyard is good because you can use it in a money deck with another action. This is where the thought comes that you're paying only 2 coins for something that's better than a smithy. As it happens, the low costs means you can have a good 5/2 start but it doesn't mean you want many in your deck, no matter how cheap they are. There are of course lots of tricks you can do with a courtyard too but lets stay on topic.

Epoch

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2011, 03:37:07 am »

Courtyard is good because you can use it in a money deck with another action.

I don't think that's true.  Or, I mean, yes, that may be part of why it's true, but Courtyard is really good in a money deck even without another action, too.  Courtyard (and no other actions)/Money beats Smithy/money and Envoy/money.  The ability to push an unneeded Gold or Silver (or even Copper) onto your next hand really is that powerful -- enough to more-than-counteract your slightly less powerful start.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2011, 04:01:29 am »

Courtyard is good because you can use it in a money deck with another action.

I don't think that's true.  Or, I mean, yes, that may be part of why it's true, but Courtyard is really good in a money deck even without another action, too.  Courtyard (and no other actions)/Money beats Smithy/money and Envoy/money.  The ability to push an unneeded Gold or Silver (or even Copper) onto your next hand really is that powerful -- enough to more-than-counteract your slightly less powerful start.

Of course it's good, but the question was if it is too cheap. And there it is "too cheap" in the same sense "too cheap" as Chapel is "too cheap". It's not as extreme as with Chapel, but Courtyard does not ruin the game. You want 1-2 Courtyard, in this regime they are better than Smithies, as Courtyard+X+BM is better than Smithy+X+BM.
But for engines, Smithy is much better than Courtyard, because Courtyard draws 2 cards (with a little tiny bit of stabilization for the actionchain), and Smithy gives 3.

Maybe a $3 could be better, maybe the card would even work with $4. I have not tested if CY/Witch or CY/2xWitch is better than 2xWitch, so I'm not really sure what's with the 5/2-start. But Courtyard does not dominiate the game, as you don't prefer it over the other drawers when care about having many of them.

The only real reason I see at the moment why the price of Courtyard is really a mistake is that maybe at $2, there would be space for a "draw 2, you may return 1" card, which, if I see that correctly is strictly worse than CY despite the choice. But I'm also not sure if that's the case. And it might be not interesting enough anyway, given Courtyard. Or too weak.

and...
Donald hinted at how he miscosted it in his Mandarin preview.
if I remeber correctly he says something like "CY costs $2. I guess that tells us something". Maybe it's just that Mandarin is not worth its price usually... ;)

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2011, 04:05:51 am »

As far as I can tell, single Courtyard doesn't beat single Envoy, but double Courtyard goes even with single Envoy.

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2011, 04:24:15 am »

As far as I can tell, single Courtyard doesn't beat single Envoy, but double Courtyard goes even with single Envoy.
If you're drawing that conclusion from simulations, let me tell you the built-in Courtyard bot is not optimal: it buys only 1 Courtyard most of the time while getting 2 as fast as possible is closer to optimal and then it'll easily beat Envoy (60-31)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 04:26:17 am by Geronimoo »

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2011, 05:23:13 am »

Ah, that's what I figured. I was a little confused by the buy rules (but handwaved that as a lack of knowledge on my part of the simulator interface) and had expected a bigger improvement from double Courtyard vs. single Courtyard.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +856
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2011, 10:14:36 am »

As a relatively new player, this thread has helped me a lot, and I'm trying to pair some of these concepts with some advice from another thread, namely to branch out beyond your "crutch cards" and try using cards with which you are less familiar.  There are a lot of those for me, so here's my question:

Is there a place where all the card texts are listed (ideally in alphabetical order) that I've not yet found? When a card I don't know is brought up in a thread, I open a second browser window to the DomStrat page where individual cards are available, but they are categorized by expansion, so I am wasting a lot of time examining each set to find a given card.  There has to be a better way.
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2011, 10:29:31 am »

As a relatively new player, this thread has helped me a lot, and I'm trying to pair some of these concepts with some advice from another thread, namely to branch out beyond your "crutch cards" and try using cards with which you are less familiar.  There are a lot of those for me, so here's my question:

Is there a place where all the card texts are listed (ideally in alphabetical order) that I've not yet found? When a card I don't know is brought up in a thread, I open a second browser window to the DomStrat page where individual cards are available, but they are categorized by expansion, so I am wasting a lot of time examining each set to find a given card.  There has to be a better way.
This is close enough: http://dominion.diehrstraits.com/?set=All&f=list

You can search with CTRL-F.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +856
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2011, 11:54:14 am »

Thanks, that's a huge help.
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

Marcus316

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2011, 03:17:27 pm »

As another player just getting the hang of strategy, there's one other aspect of board analysis that seems to be missing here, that has hurt me a number of times ... if you've identified a strategy or combo to play, before you buy, take one last look at the kingdom looking for cards that counter your strategy.

A recent Duke/Duchy game I tried to play, not realizing that Swindlers was on the board (which can pretty effectively thrash a Duke/Duchy strategy all on its own): http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20111130-214052-591ba2d1.html

Note that I'm still not a great player, so I was likely on my way to losing anyways, but just illustrating one more aspect of board analysis that I think I'm going to have to pay attention to more myself. :)

Manto

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2011, 07:22:29 pm »

Two things to add related to +Buy:

1) The absence of +Buy cards

When there's no +Buy cards, cards like cellar and warehouse become can become key buys in first two rounds.  Why?  Warehouse and Cellar are less powerful in early game but more powerful later when you are greening, for it trades the copper and greens in your hand into bigger treasure.  But when there's no +Buy on the board, there tend to be no "good time" to buy these low cost cards, because you're often with higher $ total where you want to buy Duchy, Gold, or Province.

On another hand, when you see Herbalist or Woodcutter being the only +Buy in the game, they could be worth buying early as well.  Getting the extra Estate along with your final Province makes a huge difference in a VP race.

2) Trash-upgrade cards (Expand, Forge, Remodel)

They are like +Buy when you're greening.  Instead of having $10 and buy just a province, you can remodel your Silver into a tiebreaking Duchy while buying the Province with $8.  This effect is enhanced with cards like Peddler.  These cards in general can help you to rush to VPs in late game, but in a game without +Buy, these are even more important for can provide you that tiebreaking edge.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 20 queries.