Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: What if: "score a card from your hand" was a basic action?  (Read 3726 times)

Kahryl

• Explorer
  • Respect: +155
    • View Profile
What if: "score a card from your hand" was a basic action?
« on: October 01, 2013, 04:38:07 pm »

I notice that "scoring" a card is valued at about the same as "melding" one when it comes to dogma effects. Compare Agriculture vs. Math, or Experimentation vs. Machine Tools. And so often scoring in games seem to come in huge sudden lumps, when a "good" scoring card finally lines up. So what if it were possible to score mildly without any special luck? Would this improve, worsen the game?

Jerk of All trades

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
Re: What if: "score a card from your hand" was a basic action?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 06:05:06 pm »

probably too good.
Meld > score > achieve is basically a 3 step process to win.  If you shortcut that process I think it would change a lot of things.

Currently there are many ways to stop somebody from achieving by attacking their score pile or somehow removing their ability to score.  Dropping their score to 14 so they cannot achieve 3 is useless if they can just score a card from hand.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 02:01:52 am »

probably too good.
Meld > score > achieve is basically a 3 step process to win.  If you shortcut that process I think it would change a lot of things.

Currently there are many ways to stop somebody from achieving by attacking their score pile or somehow removing their ability to score.  Dropping their score to 14 so they cannot achieve 3 is useless if they can just score a card from hand.

Many ways?  In base, I have to disagree pretty strongly.  Mapmaking reduces your opponent's score by 1, it's main purpose is to score a 1, that is usually not actually a 1.  Medicine is very inconsistent, and if you use it to block an achievement you might lose just by virtue of spending an action so inefficiently if it wasn't a 4+ point swing.  The same goes for Anatomy and Statistics.  Pirate code is the Mapmaking of age 5, it only steals 2 points, so it's rarely disruptive enough to knock people just short of their achievement.  It mainly shines after repeated uses, and that use case wouldn't be affected very much, alternating draw and score actions won't catch up to losing 2 3's every turn.  The first time anything gets nerfed, really, is Vaccination, and then Combustion after that.  I think the nerf to Clothing, Machinery, and Gunpowder would greatly outweigh the nerf to the mediocre scorepile attacks in ages 6-10.  Now, if you add Echoes, we might run into issues, particularly with Chopsticks and Soap.

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 03:33:14 am »

Meld > score > achieve is basically a 3 step process to win.

Do you mean draw > score > achieve?
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 03:48:34 am »

Meld > score > achieve is basically a 3 step process to win.

Do you mean draw > score > achieve?
Either way I'm lost, you need a top card of that value to achieve, and you have to draw cards to meld or score them.

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1184
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 06:23:38 pm »
+1

I believe the answer is draw-meld-score-achieve...which is already how you win innovation.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 06:56:19 pm »

I believe the answer is draw-meld-score-achieve...which is already how you win innovation.

You mean Draw-Math-Puzzle Cube
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 20 queries.