Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Author Topic: Please Do Not Say "GG" Before the Game Is Actually, Literally Over  (Read 31861 times)

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
Please Do Not Say "GG" Before the Game Is Actually, Literally Over
« on: September 30, 2013, 06:23:42 pm »
+17

I know people don't do it from a position of malice, but saying "GG" before the game is actually over infuriates me. Like, I am in the middle of my turn, and the other person says "GG." How am I supposed to take that? The other person is giving up? He is resigning? He just expects I am going to be able to end the game, or something? And then when I don't end the game, oh no, he isn't done playing, he has a chance now! Don't say it unless the game is truly, literally over. It is bad form to drop "GG" prematurely, and such behavior should be shunned alongside slow-playing and excessive complaining about shuffle luck.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
Re: Please Do Not Say "GG" Before the Game Is Actually, Literally Over
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 06:25:17 pm »

I am guilty of this, and worse, I already knew it was a bad idea. I will endeavor to avoid doing it in future.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 06:30:01 pm »
+6

Maybe the person is trying to say that it is a good game?
Well you *do* need a signature...

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 06:31:14 pm »
+5

I think some people do it so that the opponent with see the gg before leaving the window, but it actually has a negative effect as the chat window covers the cards in hand.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 06:34:18 pm »

When someone says 'GG' prematurely, I always assume that either:

A) They can end the game on their turn

or

B) They're assuming I can end it on my turn

And when neither of these things happen, it gets awkward.
Please don't create awkward situations; don't say 'GG' too early.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 06:41:26 pm »

Yeah, this is one of my biggest pet peeves. I guess I am technically guilty of it by about half a second occasionally when they're running out like the last 5 copies of a pile and are winning.

jaybeez

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: jaybeez
  • Respect: +395
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 06:57:14 pm »
+2

But if during your opponent's turn it's clear they have already won, I think it's okay.  Like, if they have $8 already on the board while still in their action phase, and there's one Province left and buying that Province wins it for them.  The game might not be literally over, but close enough.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 06:58:15 pm by jaybeez »

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2013, 07:00:26 pm »
+3

But if during your opponent's turn it's clear they have already won, I think it's okay.  Like, if they have $8 already on the board while still in their action phase, and there's one Province left and they're leading or trailing by less than 6 VP.  The game might not be literally over, but close enough.

That doesn't grate me quite as much (although it does make the chat box pop up while I am trying to speedily play all my cads and actually end the game, since I'm at the point where it doesn't matter). What I'm talking about it when the other person merely assumes the game is at an end.

And truly, even in the situation you gave, I may not know that I win if I buy the last Province--even in the point counter is on, perhaps I'm not staring at it--so it doesn't make much sense to prematurely alert me to it's end.

ragingduckd

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +3527
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 07:08:33 pm »
+13

I know people don't do it from a position of malice, but saying "GG" before the game is actually over infuriates me. Like, I am in the middle of my turn, and the other person says "GG." How am I supposed to take that? The other person is giving up? He is resigning? He just expects I am going to be able to end the game, or something? And then when I don't end the game, oh no, he isn't done playing, he has a chance now! Don't say it unless the game is truly, literally over. It is bad form to drop "GG" prematurely, and such behavior should be shunned alongside slow-playing and excessive complaining about shuffle luck.

Sometimes it clearly is meant with malice, or at least with poor sportsmanship. Like when my Sea Hag has just flipped theirs on T3 or something.

I usually pause for several seconds and then ask "conceding, predicting, or whining?" It doesn't do anything to cool my opponent down, but I like to imagine I'm doing a service for their future opponents.
Salvager Extension | Isotropish Leaderboard | Game Data | Log Search & other toys | Salvager Bug Reports

Salvager not working for me at all today. ... Please help! I can't go back to playing without it like an animal!

florrat

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: florrat
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2013, 07:44:41 pm »

I'm afraid I'm also guilty for doing this. I usually do this to make sure I can say "gg" to my opponent, instead of seeing they already left the score screen before I open up the chat window.

Now that I see that people are annoyed by this behavior I'll try to stop doing it.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2013, 08:09:14 pm »
+3

This is one of those paradoxical things about etiquette.  Before this topic, I would have thought that saying "gg" is polite and respectful.  But now I see that it upsets people, depending on the context.  Personally, I think you should all give your opponents the benefit of the doubt and not presume that they are being spiteful or passive aggressive.  Some people are just looking to have some fun, and aren't so fixed on who wins and who loses.  But then, what is the purpose of politeness if it is going to upset your opponent?

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2013, 08:32:51 pm »

This is one of those paradoxical things about etiquette.  Before this topic, I would have thought that saying "gg" is polite and respectful.  But now I see that it upsets people, depending on the context.  Personally, I think you should all give your opponents the benefit of the doubt and not presume that they are being spiteful or passive aggressive.  Some people are just looking to have some fun, and aren't so fixed on who wins and who loses.  But then, what is the purpose of politeness if it is going to upset your opponent?
I generally don't think they *intend* to be annoying/spiteful/passive aggressive (except on some occasions where there is other context that implies that), but it nevertheless *can* be very annoying and aggravating.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2013, 08:33:47 pm »
+1

You misunderstand me. I appreciate a "GG" after the game is over, and often give one myself, especially if I know the person or thought the game was particularly good. But it's rude to say it if the game isn't actually over yet, just like it would be rude to blurt out "Goodbye!" in the middle of a conversation if you weren't actually leaving.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2013, 08:34:27 pm »

^^Rude may even be the wrong word there. Confusing, that's better.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2013, 08:40:31 pm »

I suppose "gg" means something different to you than it does to me.  I would compare it to playing Dominion IRL and saying "well, looks like you've got this one in the bag."  I certainly wouldn't compare it to someone saying "good bye".

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2013, 08:46:10 pm »
+3

I suppose "gg" means something different to you than it does to me.  I would compare it to playing Dominion IRL and saying "well, looks like you've got this one in the bag."  I certainly wouldn't compare it to someone saying "good bye".
If someone tells me "You've got this one", I expect it to be followed by resignation.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2013, 08:54:03 pm »
+1

I don't know whether "gg" predates Starcraft (the first one of course), but there it means something like "I resign, thanks for the game". Granted, competitive SC etiquette is more formalized than online Dominion etiquette, but I take the meaning of the phrase to be the same. So when somebody says "gg" and doesn't resign, it's pretty confusing.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2013, 09:02:38 pm »
+1

I don't know whether "gg" predates Starcraft (the first one of course), but there it means something like "I resign, thanks for the game". Granted, competitive SC etiquette is more formalized than online Dominion etiquette, but I take the meaning of the phrase to be the same. So when somebody says "gg" and doesn't resign, it's pretty confusing.

My earliest memory of it is Little League, so I think it predates the internet.  There, you ONLY said it after the game was over. 
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Twistedarcher

• Witch
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2013, 09:37:28 pm »

I dunno. If it's something like a scrying pool game, where they are clearly going to win but it's going to take them 3 minutes every turn to get there, I feel like it's time better spent playing another game. If it's really obvious who wins, yet the game is nowhere close to ending, I don't see a problem with it.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2013, 09:42:28 pm »
+6

I dunno. If it's something like a scrying pool game, where they are clearly going to win but it's going to take them 3 minutes every turn to get there, I feel like it's time better spent playing another game. If it's really obvious who wins, yet the game is nowhere close to ending, I don't see a problem with it.

Again, total misunderstanding. That's fine--then hit RESIGN. What I am complaining about is people saying "GG" before the game is over and not actually resigning.

I the Scrying Pool case, you put me in a really awkward position when you say "GG" but don't resign. Should I just rush the rest of my turn because you are going to resign? Just resign now then, please. When you say "GG" and don't resign, I'm confused. I mean, I have to keep playing my turn like normal, but I feel rushed because you clearly think the game is over, but you could be wrong, and I have to still maximize my turn and.. it's confusing and a headache. So wait for the end, or resign.

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2013, 11:24:24 pm »

I usually pause for several seconds and then ask "conceding, predicting, or whining?" It doesn't do anything to cool my opponent down, but I like to imagine I'm doing a service for their future opponents.

I really like this.  I may even use this given an appropriate circumstance.  For example, I have played with a certain player who can be very optimistic about his chances of winning, and after seeing a 5/2 opening (for him) or after purchasing a particular card (say goons, KC, other power cards) will say "gg" as if to say that I have no chance now that he has this amazing start/card.  It has never bothered me, and I have enjoyed beating him on some of those occasions despite the utterly amazing start that supposedly put him so far ahead that I have no chance to catch up.
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2013, 12:07:21 am »

If someone tells me "You've got this one", I expect it to be followed by resignation.

I would one billion percent agree...except that Goko punishes you for resigning in the form of the "Quit %" stat.

I would MUCH rather resign on turn 6 when it is clear you have the game won (probably 50% of all games?), than play through Province #6 on Turn 12.  But if I do, I'm a quitter, and it ramps up your quit percentage, and you get fewer games.

So instead, you have to sit through turn after turn of 8 SPs or 8 HPs or waiting for that 8th HOP.  If there was a way to differentiate between "good quits" and "bad quits" (i.e., resigning a game to your opponent and disconnecting to be rude), I think we'd get a lot more of what you're asking for.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2013, 12:11:29 am »
+3

My Quit % is 2 or so and I think that entirely comes from laptop crashes. I certainly resign far more than 1/50 games.

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2013, 12:14:32 am »

My Quit % is 2 or so and I think that entirely comes from laptop crashes. I certainly resign far more than 1/50 games.

Hmmm...maybe I'm wrong that it counts resignations against you?

If so, opponents rest easy!
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2013, 12:50:29 am »
+3

Goko does not punish resignations.

However, I will admit I'll sometimes gg near the end of my opponent's final turn if I know s/he knows s/he can win, but not resign, because I'd rather have the full log available.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 20 queries.