Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Masterpiece - worst bane ever, or WORST bane ever?  (Read 10048 times)

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2131
    • View Profile
Re: Masterpiece - worst bane ever, or WORST bane ever?
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2013, 12:37:40 am »

Masterpiece just being a Copper is a wasted design opportunity. I wish its top was something unique, even if it was ultimately about as powerful as a Copper.

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2013, 01:33:23 am »

Hm but what to put there that hasn't already been done before? Maybe like 1$ "Reveal the top card of your deck, if it's a Silver, gain a Silver." Or something that doesn't make it strictly better than Silver, but can actually be an ok buy at $3.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2013, 04:58:36 am »
+3

I don't think Masterpiece should be any more complicated than it is.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2013, 05:41:49 am »
+6

It's rubbish, but if you have a lot of money, you can justify the price tag. Art indeed :-p
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2013, 08:19:26 am »

I don't think Masterpiece should be any more complicated than it is.

I like how Stonemason is an actual, unique, card and not just a "deal". Even just a +buy, and/or making it an action that's "+2 actions, +$1" (so it antisynergises with its own overpay) would be better at making the situations where you buy masterpiece for $3 not vanishingly few.

The card as is could largely be replaced by a single card with a top half that says "When you would gain this, instead gain a Copper", and leave room for another card in the set. Same too with Cache, although being when gain instead of when buy and self containing the "good" effect means that there's more situations where the fact it's its own card matters.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2013, 09:16:16 am »

I like how Stonemason is an actual, unique, card and not just a "deal". Even just a +buy, and/or making it an action that's "+2 actions, +$1" (so it antisynergises with its own overpay) would be better at making the situations where you buy masterpiece for $3 not vanishingly few.
I like how Masterpiece is an actual, unique, deal and not just a "card". You're not supposed to buy a Masterpiece for $3, much like you're not supposed to buy a Smithy for $3. Unless you've played a Highway (at least a couple of them for Masterpiece).
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2013, 09:54:05 am »

I like how Masterpiece is an actual, unique, deal and not just a "card". You're not supposed to buy a Masterpiece for $3, much like you're not supposed to buy a Smithy for $3. Unless you've played a Highway (at least a couple of them for Masterpiece).

Stonemason manages to be both at once.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2013, 10:01:15 am »

Stonemason manages to be both at once.
But the overpay part of Stonemason is so much simpler than Masterpiece. It's only natural that the on-play part of Masterpiece is simpler than Stonemason.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2013, 10:19:09 am »

But the overpay part of Stonemason is so much simpler than Masterpiece.

Is it? They're both about as wordy, and while Masterpiece just has you consider how many silvers you want, Stonemason has you consider every card in the supply.

I'm sure that a slightly more complicated, unique card wouldn't change the fact you'd usually just buy Masterpiece for the Silvers.

The problem comes down to the fact that there's limited design space. If there were always more sets coming then it would be no issue.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2013, 10:20:04 am »

But the overpay part of Stonemason is so much simpler than Masterpiece.

It is? Is "gain two Action cards costing $X" simpler than "gain X Silvers"?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2013, 10:56:30 am »

Is it? They're both about as wordy, and while Masterpiece just has you consider how many silvers you want, Stonemason has you consider every card in the supply.
Yes, it is. The thing you're considering isn't "How much I want to overpay", it's "Do I want to purchase a Masterpiece/Stonemason considering that I can overpay this much this turn". The question is much harder for Masterpiece and requires considering every card in the supply as well (you don't want a Masterpiece if the board can't support a Masterpiece strategy).
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 10:59:44 am by Awaclus »

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2013, 11:27:32 am »

Yes, it is. The thing you're considering isn't "How much I want to overpay", it's "Do I want to purchase a Masterpiece/Stonemason considering that I can overpay this much this turn". The question is much harder for Masterpiece and requires considering every card in the supply as well (you don't want a Masterpiece if the board can't support a Masterpiece strategy).

I mean, I was interpreting "simpler" as meaning, just, 'easier to understand and describe what it does'. But surely Stonemason requires paying more attention to every other card in the supply than Masterpiece does—with Stonemason, you have to actually find out if there are Action cards you want costing $X. For Masterpiece, Silver is always there and almost always at least decent.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2013, 01:25:19 pm »

I mean, I was interpreting "simpler" as meaning, just, 'easier to understand and describe what it does'. But surely Stonemason requires paying more attention to every other card in the supply than Masterpiece does—with Stonemason, you have to actually find out if there are Action cards you want costing $X. For Masterpiece, Silver is always there and almost always at least decent.
For Masterpiece, first you have to know whether or not you want to be playing Big Money, and then you have to know whether or not you want to play a BM variant with a deck full of Silver instead of more variety. You have to take into account all of the cards for that. For Stonemason, if there are two actions you want at the same price, it's always good.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2013, 04:37:18 pm »

But Stonemason can also gain you 2 more Stonemasons, and its strategic implication on any engine board is far more complex than Masterpiece (on a... Silver board?).

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2013, 05:12:07 pm »

But Stonemason can also gain you 2 more Stonemasons
Well, that's complicated!
, and its strategic implication on any engine board is far more complex than Masterpiece (on a... Silver board?).
Not really, it just makes any existing engine stronger.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2013, 05:31:58 pm »

It's complicated because it's more difficult to manage piles with Stonemason in the kingdom.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2013, 06:21:34 pm »

It's complicated because it's more difficult to manage piles with Stonemason in the kingdom.
More difficult to stop the game from threepiling, less difficult to make it threepile.

Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 20 queries.