Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Masterpiece - worst bane ever, or WORST bane ever?  (Read 10028 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
Masterpiece - worst bane ever, or WORST bane ever?
« on: September 29, 2013, 10:08:42 am »
+2

I mean, think about it.  You'd never buy it for $3, and if you buy it for more than $3, you're inundating your deck with non-Bane cards - the more use you get out of Masterpiece, the less likely it is you'll have it in hand when someone else plays Young Witch.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
Re: Masterpiece - worst bane ever, or WORST bane ever?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 10:26:34 am »
+4

But Silver flooding could be nice in a nasty Curse slog.
Well you *do* need a signature...

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 10:28:54 am »
+6

I'm still voting for Embargo as worst Bane ever.

Mr Anderson

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 10:30:01 am »

I agree that Embargo is the worst. It is a one-shot.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 10:36:05 am »
+4

moat is worst...

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9412
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 10:37:20 am »

Moat is down there too.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 10:38:47 am »
+5

I'm not sure it is the worst Bane ever. It's a Treasure, which is way easier on your deck than a terminal Action you didn't want. If you buy it for $4, you get a Silver with it. Could be a lot worse, I'd say.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2013, 10:41:08 am »

to explain:

consider a kingdom with young witch and every single other 2 and 3 cost in the game of dominion. The bane that makes young witch the strongest is obviously moat.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2013, 11:08:12 am »

to explain:

consider a kingdom with young witch and every single other 2 and 3 cost in the game of dominion. The bane that makes young witch the strongest is obviously moat.

However, such a situation is purely hypothetical. In any game when Moat is the bane, well Moat doesn't get anything extra special about it* but it does mean Moat is in the game. That could matter if say there's other attacks, or if a flat +2 cards isn't terrible on the board. That doesn't mean Moat isn't necessarily the worst bane, but I would say Embargo is most likely less effective as a bane.

*excluding edge cases where blocking YW after the opponent discarded 2 cards is a notable edge
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2013, 11:14:40 am »
+1

to explain:

Leaving aside that YW is completely ignorable in a kingdom with Scheme, Hamlet, Village, Forager and Watchtower, I don't see why this is true at all. If there's even just Village and some cheap source of +buy (Hamlet, CM, WV, Forager), I don't mind getting quite a few Moats, which would make YW pretty bad for you except that it has forced me to get some Moats over potentially available better drawers.

Embargo is clearly so much worse as a bane because you just don't want to keep it in your deck at all.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 11:15:57 am by SheCantSayNo »

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2013, 11:18:01 am »

well, the idea is that making embargo the bane DOES make me more likely to buy embargo, but if moat is the bane it doesn't make me more likely to buy moat.  I mean, in a game with embargo as bane and no moat in the kingdom, young witch is stronger than in a kingdom with moat as bane and no embargo. However, when comparing cards as bane, I'm thinking of comparing the difference between card X as bane and card X as not-bane to the difference between card Y as bane and card Y as not-bane

good point about being able to block after they discard, though that usually doesn't matter.

to explain:

Leaving aside that YW is completely ignorable in a kingdom with Scheme, Hamlet, Village, Forager and Watchtower, I don't see why this is true at all. If there's even just Village and some cheap source of +buy (Hamlet, CM, WV, Forager), I don't mind getting quite a few Moats, which would make YW pretty bad for you except that it has forced me to get some Moats over potentially available better drawers.

Embargo is clearly so much worse as a bane because you just don't want to keep it in your deck at all.
Well, the idea is that you can get a few moats no matter what bane is, with the same effect. If embargo is bane, you have the option of getting that instead of moat to block young witch, in the very rare scenario where that is a good idea.

and yes, YW is bad in that kingdom, but that's not the point.

SCSN

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2013, 11:26:28 am »
+1

well, the idea is that making embargo the bane DOES make me more likely to buy embargo, but if moat is the bane it doesn't make me more likely to buy moat.  I mean, in a game with embargo as bane and no moat in the kingdom, young witch is stronger than in a kingdom with moat as bane and no embargo. However, when comparing cards as bane, I'm thinking of comparing the difference between card X as bane and card X as not-bane to the difference between card Y as bane and card Y as not-bane

This is definitely the wrong way to look at it, otherwise you'd be forced to conclude that Fishing Village is a poor bane because you want to spam it anyway.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 11:28:54 am by SheCantSayNo »

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2013, 11:29:55 am »

I'm thinking of comparing the difference between card X as bane and card X as not-bane to the difference between card Y as bane and card Y as not-bane

This is definitely the wrong way to look at it, otherwise you'd be forced to conclude that Fishing Village is a poor bane because you want to spam it anyway.
making fishing village bane doesn't make me more likely to buy fishing village (well, it does slightly), but it makes me buying fishing village an EVEN BETTER choice than it was before, which makes fishing village a fine bane.

SCSN

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2013, 11:58:34 am »
+3

The strength of a bane (other than Tunnel) should be determined by how bad of a purchase it makes YW compared to the situation where there is no bane at all and the card that would have been bane was removed completely from the kingdom.

Well, the idea is that you can get a few moats no matter what bane is, with the same effect.

If Moat ends up as bane, it wouldn't have been in the kingdom if something else had been selected as bane, because banes are selected after the 10 other cards. So by comparing kingdoms with Moat as bane to kingdoms where Moat is available but something else is bane, you're introducing such a gigantic sample bias as to render the comparison completely meaningless.

Given 10 random cards including YW but not {Moat, Embargo}, adding Moat as bane makes YW on average worse than adding Embargo as bane, thus Moat is the stronger one.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2013, 12:03:11 pm »
+1

ah, good point. That's not how I think of the bane selection happening, I think, "okay, kingdom of 11 cards, make one of them costing 2 or 3 the bane", but of course that's not how it works. so in that case, embargo is probably worst.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2013, 01:45:21 pm »

But Silver flooding could be nice in a nasty Curse slog.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2013, 02:15:02 pm »

I think Masterpiece is a decent enough bane (for $3 or more). Even if it's not a card you absolutely need, it rarely actively hurts like a terminal which you can't play due to collision.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2013, 02:33:12 pm »

Masterpiece isn't such a bad bane at all. You wouldn't buy it for an opening 3 coins but it could come in useful mid game for 5 coins. If you were to just play young witch + treasure I'm guessing that a 5 coin masterpiece would be better than buying a second young witch and a 6 coin masterpiece would be better than gold. 

AJD

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2013, 02:35:16 pm »
+11

Moat is such a good Bane it even works on adult Witches!

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2013, 03:06:39 pm »

Murrh.  I should just stick to making memes and navboxes and leave strategy to real Dominion players, shouldn't I?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

jaybeez

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: jaybeez
  • Respect: +395
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2013, 03:21:16 pm »
+7

Murrh.  I should just stick to making memes and navboxes and leave strategy to real Dominion players, shouldn't I?
If you never advance unsound arguments, you'll never reach an understanding of why your argument was wrong, and thus you'll never improve.  So, no, you should continue to make threads like this if you want.

Put another way, what's the point of having a forum for discussing strategy if nobody ever says something that's wrong?  Then the "discussion" would just be everyone agreeing with each other, and who does that help?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 03:22:29 pm by jaybeez »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2013, 03:28:18 pm »

Well, Masterpiece isn't a very good bane (though not as bad as Embargo), it's just a very good counter to Young Witch, bane or not.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2013, 03:38:00 pm »
+9

You've also discovered another edge case whereupon one might spend $3 on a Masterpiece!  Which gave me an opportunity to use the word "whereupon".
Well you *do* need a signature...

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2013, 07:11:09 pm »

I'm not sure it is the worst Bane ever. It's a Treasure, which is way easier on your deck than a terminal Action you didn't want. If you buy it for $4, you get a Silver with it. Could be a lot worse, I'd say.
Plus, if it banes a YW even once, that's sort of like trashing a Curse. So if you have $4 and spend it on a Masterpiece that happens to block a YW once, then it's vaguely like getting a Silver+Copper vs spending that $4 on a Silver and getting a Silver+Curse. (Of course, blocking that Curse later on is a lot less important than blocking it early, so the comparison isn't perfect.)

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9412
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2013, 07:21:56 pm »
+6

If you never advance unsound arguments, you'll never reach an understanding of why your argument was wrong, and thus you'll never improve.  So, no, you should continue to make threads like this if you want.

Put another way, what's the point of having a forum for discussing strategy if nobody ever says something that's wrong?  Then the "discussion" would just be everyone agreeing with each other, and who does that help?

I disagree.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2127
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2013, 12:37:40 am »

Masterpiece just being a Copper is a wasted design opportunity. I wish its top was something unique, even if it was ultimately about as powerful as a Copper.

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2013, 01:33:23 am »

Hm but what to put there that hasn't already been done before? Maybe like 1$ "Reveal the top card of your deck, if it's a Silver, gain a Silver." Or something that doesn't make it strictly better than Silver, but can actually be an ok buy at $3.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2013, 04:58:36 am »
+3

I don't think Masterpiece should be any more complicated than it is.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2013, 05:41:49 am »
+6

It's rubbish, but if you have a lot of money, you can justify the price tag. Art indeed :-p
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2013, 08:19:26 am »

I don't think Masterpiece should be any more complicated than it is.

I like how Stonemason is an actual, unique, card and not just a "deal". Even just a +buy, and/or making it an action that's "+2 actions, +$1" (so it antisynergises with its own overpay) would be better at making the situations where you buy masterpiece for $3 not vanishingly few.

The card as is could largely be replaced by a single card with a top half that says "When you would gain this, instead gain a Copper", and leave room for another card in the set. Same too with Cache, although being when gain instead of when buy and self containing the "good" effect means that there's more situations where the fact it's its own card matters.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2013, 09:16:16 am »

I like how Stonemason is an actual, unique, card and not just a "deal". Even just a +buy, and/or making it an action that's "+2 actions, +$1" (so it antisynergises with its own overpay) would be better at making the situations where you buy masterpiece for $3 not vanishingly few.
I like how Masterpiece is an actual, unique, deal and not just a "card". You're not supposed to buy a Masterpiece for $3, much like you're not supposed to buy a Smithy for $3. Unless you've played a Highway (at least a couple of them for Masterpiece).

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2013, 09:54:05 am »

I like how Masterpiece is an actual, unique, deal and not just a "card". You're not supposed to buy a Masterpiece for $3, much like you're not supposed to buy a Smithy for $3. Unless you've played a Highway (at least a couple of them for Masterpiece).

Stonemason manages to be both at once.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2013, 10:01:15 am »

Stonemason manages to be both at once.
But the overpay part of Stonemason is so much simpler than Masterpiece. It's only natural that the on-play part of Masterpiece is simpler than Stonemason.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2013, 10:19:09 am »

But the overpay part of Stonemason is so much simpler than Masterpiece.

Is it? They're both about as wordy, and while Masterpiece just has you consider how many silvers you want, Stonemason has you consider every card in the supply.

I'm sure that a slightly more complicated, unique card wouldn't change the fact you'd usually just buy Masterpiece for the Silvers.

The problem comes down to the fact that there's limited design space. If there were always more sets coming then it would be no issue.

AJD

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2013, 10:20:04 am »

But the overpay part of Stonemason is so much simpler than Masterpiece.

It is? Is "gain two Action cards costing $X" simpler than "gain X Silvers"?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2013, 10:56:30 am »

Is it? They're both about as wordy, and while Masterpiece just has you consider how many silvers you want, Stonemason has you consider every card in the supply.
Yes, it is. The thing you're considering isn't "How much I want to overpay", it's "Do I want to purchase a Masterpiece/Stonemason considering that I can overpay this much this turn". The question is much harder for Masterpiece and requires considering every card in the supply as well (you don't want a Masterpiece if the board can't support a Masterpiece strategy).
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 10:59:44 am by Awaclus »

AJD

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2013, 11:27:32 am »

Yes, it is. The thing you're considering isn't "How much I want to overpay", it's "Do I want to purchase a Masterpiece/Stonemason considering that I can overpay this much this turn". The question is much harder for Masterpiece and requires considering every card in the supply as well (you don't want a Masterpiece if the board can't support a Masterpiece strategy).

I mean, I was interpreting "simpler" as meaning, just, 'easier to understand and describe what it does'. But surely Stonemason requires paying more attention to every other card in the supply than Masterpiece does—with Stonemason, you have to actually find out if there are Action cards you want costing $X. For Masterpiece, Silver is always there and almost always at least decent.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2013, 01:25:19 pm »

I mean, I was interpreting "simpler" as meaning, just, 'easier to understand and describe what it does'. But surely Stonemason requires paying more attention to every other card in the supply than Masterpiece does—with Stonemason, you have to actually find out if there are Action cards you want costing $X. For Masterpiece, Silver is always there and almost always at least decent.
For Masterpiece, first you have to know whether or not you want to be playing Big Money, and then you have to know whether or not you want to play a BM variant with a deck full of Silver instead of more variety. You have to take into account all of the cards for that. For Stonemason, if there are two actions you want at the same price, it's always good.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2013, 04:37:18 pm »

But Stonemason can also gain you 2 more Stonemasons, and its strategic implication on any engine board is far more complex than Masterpiece (on a... Silver board?).

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2013, 05:12:07 pm »

But Stonemason can also gain you 2 more Stonemasons
Well, that's complicated!
, and its strategic implication on any engine board is far more complex than Masterpiece (on a... Silver board?).
Not really, it just makes any existing engine stronger.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2013, 05:31:58 pm »

It's complicated because it's more difficult to manage piles with Stonemason in the kingdom.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2013, 06:21:34 pm »

It's complicated because it's more difficult to manage piles with Stonemason in the kingdom.
More difficult to stop the game from threepiling, less difficult to make it threepile.

Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 20 queries.