Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Necropolis Play During First Reshuffle  (Read 4974 times)

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
Necropolis Play During First Reshuffle
« on: September 25, 2013, 07:27:32 pm »
+1

Here's a puzzle that I don't have the answer to: In a solo game, is there any reason to play Necropolis on Turn 1?

How about on Turn 2? I have at least one answer for this one: If you buy Nomad Camp on Turn 1, then you could play Necropolis and Nomad Camp to buy a $4 Peddler on Turn 2.

Are these any different if we allow multiple players?

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
Re: Necropolis Play During First Reshuffle
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 08:29:39 pm »
+7

You are playing on Goko and you don't have to move your mouse as far to play a necropolis as you do to press 'end actions'.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 08:31:30 pm »
+6

If your opponent has a 5/2 split, and has the $5 first, he may not be aware that Shelters are in play. Playing Necropolis is thus a nice thing to do. :)
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

cluckyb

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +169
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 08:54:33 pm »
+6

If Baker is in the game and your opponent isn't looking, you can steal their coin token and buy a peddler =)

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 08:58:08 pm »
+2

If only Noble Brigand could trash Overgrown Estate, it would have been possible for player 2 to have Necropolis, five Coppers, and a Coin token on the first turn for a Peddler.
Well you *do* need a signature...

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 09:44:59 pm »
+10

It's really too bad that Noble Brigand doesn't trash and steal victory cards.
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

rrwoods

• Navigator
  • Respect: +32
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 03:24:38 am »

Here's a puzzle that I don't have the answer to: In a solo game, is there any reason to play Necropolis on Turn 1?

How about on Turn 2? I have at least one answer for this one: If you buy Nomad Camp on Turn 1, then you could play Necropolis and Nomad Camp to buy a $4 Peddler on Turn 2.

Replace Peddler with Stonemason and Baker and you get a similar answer.  Keep the Peddler for even more fun.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 03:30:20 am »

Replace Peddler with Stonemason and Baker and you get a similar answer.  Keep the Peddler for even more fun.
If you remove Peddler, for what reason you would want to play Necropolis on turn 2?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2013, 05:20:10 am »
+3

You spend your opening $6 on Stonemason->2*Nomad Camp, and play the Necropolis for what it's normally for.
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2013, 08:17:57 am »

You spend your opening $6 on Stonemason->2*Nomad Camp, and play the Necropolis for what it's normally for.
Oh. I thought you'd still open with a single Nomad Camp on turn 1, as in Schneau's solution.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2013, 08:56:41 am »

If your opponent has a 5/2 split, and has the $5 first, he may not be aware that Shelters are in play. Playing Necropolis is thus a nice thing to do. :)

I've heard this situation discussed a few times now... I'm assuming that this is some Goko-interface thing? Surely normal in-real-life gameplay would involve all players knowing whether or not there are Shelters, right? I don't know if the rules specifically address this, but there's no way to make the starting decks without at least 1 player knowing.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2013, 11:45:03 am »

Baker is on board, buy Doctor on T1, overpaying by either 1 or 2 without using the token. Your T2 draw is Necropolis, Doctor, 3x Copper. Play Necropolis and Doctor, and use your token to buy a Peddler.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2013, 11:52:51 am »
+3

T2 hand is Necropolis, Nomad Camp, 3 coppers. You have a coin token. Playing Necropolis allows you to buy Farmland without having to trash Necropolis.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2013, 12:12:56 pm »

T2 hand is Necropolis, Nomad Camp, 3 coppers. You have a coin token. Playing Necropolis allows you to buy Farmland without having to trash Necropolis.

...And this is good why?

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2013, 12:22:53 pm »
+12

I think I can be the first one to solve the Turn 1 Necropolis :D.  Requires multiple players.

Alice, Bob, and Cindy are playing a game.  The board contains no good 5$ card.  The board has a Smithy, a Village, a Lookout, Fool's Gold, Farmland, Conspirator, a Silk Road, and some other stuff.  But it doesn't have any +buy.

Alice starts the game by playing 3 Coppers and purchasing a Lookout. 
Bob's hand is Necropolis and Coppers.  Since there are no good fives, playing four coppers and buying Smithy gives Cindy no assurance that Bob did not draw 5/2.  A 5/2 opening would push Bob towards a Fool's Gold purchase on his second turn, and contested Fool's Golds are less attractive to Cindy.  But Bob, in fact, does not have 5/2, and he wants Cindy to know that because he wants Cindy to take the Fool's Gold strategy, because Fool's Gold is a Province strategy, and Alice has already committed to a Province strategy as well.  Bob wants all 12 Silk Roads for himself.  So Bob plays a Necropolis, then buys a Smithy.  Cindy is now pretty comfortable buying Fool's Gold with her 3 Coppers, it seems unlikely that Bob would spend three coppers to go after contested Fool's Golds just to rain on her parade, she is player 3 after all. She no longer has to fear the (30ish%?  not sure) chance that Bob has 5/2, and opted for Smithy/FG over FG/FG for the faster cycling and chance at early Farmlands-hitting-copper.

You can tweak it in a way that makes more sense to you, but that is the general concept.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2013, 12:26:38 pm »

...And this is good why?
Tricky.  Farmland is one of the uniques for a Silk Road Fairgrounds strat, and we don't want gold because the opponent opened Pirate ship?

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2013, 03:46:23 pm »

[snip]

This is good, but it's a psychological reason.

Is there any reason to play it that could affect the game state differently from not playing it?

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2013, 05:48:55 pm »
+3

it does effect the gamestate. The gamestate includes what players know. If a player has played a cutpurse on their turn or something, and has seen the other players hand, they can use that info to make a decision that would be incorrect if they hadn't seen their hand. In this case, Bob wants cindy to do something, but for cindy to do that would be the wrong decision unless she knew his hand had only 3 coppers, so Bob proves that he has 3 coppers in his next hand.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2013, 06:18:37 pm »

Actually, just the opponent knowing if you have $4 or $5 at the beginning could alter their buying a Noble Brigand.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2013, 06:29:14 pm »
+4

I think I can be the first one to solve the Turn 1 Necropolis :D.  Requires multiple players.

Alice, Bob, and Cindy are playing a game.  The board contains no good 5$ card.  The board has a Smithy, a Village, a Lookout, Fool's Gold, Farmland, Conspirator, a Silk Road, and some other stuff.  But it doesn't have any +buy.

Bob's hand is Necropolis and Coppers.  Since there are no good fives, playing four coppers and buying Smithy gives Cindy no assurance that Bob did not draw 5/2.  A 5/2 opening would push Bob towards a Fool's Gold purchase on his second turn, and contested Fool's Golds are less attractive to Cindy.  But Bob, in fact, does not have 5/2, and he wants Cindy to know that because he wants Cindy to take the Fool's Gold strategy, because Fool's Gold is a Province strategy, and Alice has already committed to a Province strategy as well.  Bob wants all 12 Silk Roads for himself.  So Bob plays a Necropolis, then buys a Smithy.  Cindy is now pretty comfortable buying Fool's Gold with her 3 Coppers, it seems unlikely that Bob would spend three coppers to go after contested Fool's Golds just to rain on her parade, she is player 3 after all. She no longer has to fear the (30ish%?  not sure) chance that Bob has 5/2, and opted for Smithy/FG over FG/FG for the faster cycling and chance at early Farmlands-hitting-copper.

You can tweak it in a way that makes more sense to you, but that is the general concept.

Bob could have just put the Necropolis or other Shelter on top of his discard pile during clean up.
Well you *do* need a signature...

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1184
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2013, 09:19:39 pm »
+3

Bob could have just put the Necropolis or other Shelter on top of his discard pile during clean up.

So what we need to do is have a scenario where you want your opponent to know you had $3, by playing necropolis and leaving Hovel/OE on top of the discard.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 2.047 seconds with 20 queries.