Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14  All

Author Topic: Treasure Chest Design Contest — Card #4: Seaside  (Read 96484 times)

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
Re: Treasure Chest Design Contest — Card #4: Seaside
« Reply #150 on: October 01, 2013, 09:36:26 am »

Commune
Types: Action – Duration
Cost: $2
Now and at the start of every turn this card is in play: Trash a card from your hand. Draw until you have 5 cards in hand.

Do not discard this from play during your Clean-up phase. While this is in play, it is also in the Supply.

This card needs some clarification or changes. As worded, it sounds like you do the trash-n-draw at the start of every turn, including your opponents' turns. If so, it's way OP, especially in 4-player games where you can trash most of your starting cards by turn 5.

Also, it might not need a clarification, but I think you can buy this card out from in front of yourself.

I think the idea is that anyone can buy it off of you on their turn.

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #151 on: October 01, 2013, 09:41:52 am »

Commune
Now and at the start of every turn this card is in play: Trash a card from your hand. Draw until you have 5 cards in hand.

Do not discard this from play during your Clean-up phase. While this is in play, it is also in the Supply.

This card needs some clarification or changes. As worded, it sounds like you do the trash-n-draw at the start of every turn, including your opponents' turns. If so, it's way OP, especially in 4-player games where you can trash most of your starting cards by turn 5.

Also, it might not need a clarification, but I think you can buy this card out from in front of yourself.

Oh yes, I definitely agree with that. I was pointing out that it is unclear whether you can also buy it yourself, but I think the answer is "yes".

market squire

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +201
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 01, 2013, 09:54:15 am »

Lockbox
Cost: $4
Now and at the start of your next turn: +1 Buy.

When you discard this from play, if you do not buy a card this turn, you may set aside up to 3 Treasures from play. At the start of your next turn, put the set-aside Treasures into your hand.
Big Mandarin-Haven in the next turn. Not very exiting, especially because you don't know how many Treasures you will have next turn.

Star Charts
Cost: $5
Now and at the start of your next turn, look at the top 4 cards of your deck, discard any number of them, and put the rest back in any order.

While this is in play, when a player buys a card other than a Victory card, he gains a copy of that card, putting it on top of his deck.
The top is terminal Cartographer. I mean, I love Cartographer, but why should it be on this card? The while in play looks funny, but I think it isn't appreciate. A good (building up) buy turns into two and a bad one is either doubled or the player doesn't want to make it. Imagine there were 6 Star Charts in play. Your next turn would be full of Silvers, Platinums, Treasure Maps, Star Charts or whatever. Nice card, but I don't think it works out.

Shipwreck Cove
Types: Action – Attack – Duration
+2 Cards. Each other player chooses a card he has in play and discards it. If that card would do something at the start of that player's next turn, that effect is cancelled. At the start of your next turn, +1 Action.
Hey, the "next turn" effects are triggered when the Duration is played. Not at the start of the next turn. I dislike "cancelling" effects that are already triggered.

Harbourmaster
+3 Cards. You may discard this from play. If this is in play at the the start of your next turn, trash it and +3 Cards.
Smithy with a "3-labs-pinata". Sounds good, especially for a megaturn. But not novel enough to me.

Tariff
+$2. Choose another player. At the start of your next turn, +$1.

While this is in play, when the chosen player buys an Action or Treasure card, you my discard a card. If you do, +1 Card.
Why not the player to your left (or right)? This version is political. You choose a player who will want rather to go green than building up more.
All in all, this is a kind of Merchant ship with an interactive duration cellar. I dont see what this card wants to be.

Clipper
Types: Action
Cost: $3
+1 Card. +1 Action. Put a Coin token on an Action card pile in the Supply.

Cards cost $1 less per Coin token on their Supply pile, but not less than $0.
Yeah, first non-Duration! Sort of anti-Embargo. Since it effects all players, it is also very strategic, but only on actions. I really like it, it is also kind of a Duration Peddler. Individual cost changes can be very interesting, e.g. gain Grand Market by Border Village or generate a $1 cost to make Upgrade worse. Maybe it should be harder to play or even be trashed like Embargo. If the cost reduction ended when the pile is empty, I'd add a rule that it works also on empty piles.

Beacon (A)
Cost: $6
+1 Action.

While this is in play, keep the top card of your deck revealed. During your Action or Buy phase, when the top card of your deck is an Action or Treasure, you may discard this from play. If you do, play that card and gain a copy of it.
There are some problems that the others have pointed out, but I like the basic concept. Something like Grand Herald/ Band of Misfits. It would work better without gaining the revealed card, but that would be too similar to Herald and Band of Misfits.

Cottage
+2 Cards. +2 Actions. Put 2 cards from your hand on top of your deck. At the start of your next turn, reveal the top 2 cards of your deck. You may discard one of them. You may trash one of them. Put the rest back in any order.
This is nice because it makes Scout and Wishing Well better, maybe overpowered. On the other hand, not exciting enough.

Ship of the Line
You may gain a Victory card costing less than a Province. At the start of your next turn, +3 Cards.

While this is in play, Victory cards cost $1 more.
Interesting. The "attack" is doubled for the player himself, so the 3 labs are justified. In strategy, it also makes the players build up their economy longer.

Investment
You may choose an Action card from your hand. Set aside this and the chosen card on your Investment mat. Return them to your deck at the end of the game.

When you play an Action card, +$1 per copy of it on your Investment mat.
A tradeoff that is relative to Pirate Ship: Shall I play this or shall I "Island" this to get more out of it? What I don't like about it is that it can lead to mono strategies where you just want to play one card as often as possible. E.g., Cellar with +$3 would be just sifting through your deck until you have played enough Cellars. Also note that the difference between Village and Bazaar or between Market and Grand Market is really huge. I also don't like to use a new mat.

Shipyard (A)
+1 Card. Now and at the start of your next turn, trash a card from your hand.
Not bad, but also not exciting.

Fisherman
+1 Buy. +$1.

When you discard this from play, put one of your Fisherman token on a Supply pile that costs $6 or less which is not a Victory card pile.

When you buy a card, gain a copy of it for each of your Fisherman tokens on that pile and remove all of your Fisherman tokens.

Clarification: Each player has his own Fisherman tokens (maybe in different colors) and you only gain copies of the bought card for YOUR tokens.
I don't like new tokens. It could also be "gain a card and set it aside; discard it when you buy a copy of it". But even that is only a delayed gain. Mostly it will gain Golds. The basic concept is good, but this version won't get my vote.

Thugs
Types: Action – Attack
+2 Buys. +$2. Each other player with 4 or more cards in hand discards 1 card for each card he gained last turn. Each other player with no cards in hand draws 3 cards.
Nice idea, but... no.

Cannon
+1 Action. +1 Buy. At the start of your next turn, you may trash up to 2 cards that are not Curses. If you trash exactly 1 card, each other player discards down to 3 cards in hand. If you trash exactly 2 cards, each other player gains a Curse.
Don't like next turn attacks. This one has not really a reason to be a Duration.

Recycle
Trash a card from your hand. Gain a card costing up to $2 more than the trashed card, setting it aside face down. At the start of your next turn, return the gained card to your hand and trash a card from your hand, gaining a card costing up to $1 more than that trashed card.
A weakened Expand. Can only gain Provinces from a $5 with a $7 on the table. Maybe it is alright, but maybe a simple double-Remodel would be better?

Martello
Now and at the start of your next turn: +1 Action and +1 Buy.

While this is in play, when any player gains a card, you may choose for him to put that card on top of his deck. If you do, he may first discard the top card of his deck.
The "first" is unintuitive. I don't really see an interesting concept in this mixture of effects.

Kraken
Types: Action – Reaction
+$2. Put a card from your hand on top of your deck.

When you put this on top of your deck, you may reveal it. If you do, choose a card in the Supply; each other player gains a copy of the chosen card, putting it on the bottom of his deck.
A Reaction attack. Nice idea, but I don't see a strategical concept as Tunnel has. Other cards that trigger Kraken include Scavenger (pretty strong), Develop, Cartographer, and Ghost Ship (attacking while you are attacked can get very confusing). Maybe it could be a nice card if the attack was something else. The top part itself is too weak.

Flagship
Set aside a card from your hand face down. At the beginning of your next turn, reveal the set aside card, then reveal cards from your deck until you reveal a copy of it. Discard the other revealed cards and either trash both copies or put them into your hand.
Eh... Treasure Maps??

Vessel
Now and at the start of your next turn: +1 Buy and +$1.

While this is in play, when another player gains a card costing $4 or more, gain a card costing less than it.
Nice, but it shouldn't gain VP cards. "While this is in play, when another player gains a card, you may gain a card costing less than it that is not a Victory card". The fun thing is, the +Buys defend you that other's Vessels can't gain too expensive cards. Maybe too strong. How about $5 cost? Could be too near at Haggler then.

Mermaid
+1 Action. Discard the top card of your deck. Put the bottom card of your deck into your hand. You may put up to 2 cards from your hand on the bottom of your deck.
This could replace Pearl Diver. As a new card, it is not good enough.

Beacon (B)
+2 Cards. At the start of your next turn, +1 Card and put a card from your hand on top of your deck.

While this is in play, when you gain a card, trash that card or put it on top of your deck.
As Lighthouse is the Duration Moat, this is the Duration Watchtower. Not really compelling.

Dispatch
Trash a card from your hand. Gain an Action card costing up to $2 more than it, setting it aside face down. At the start of your next turn, play that Action card.
Okaay. Looks a bit weird, but I think I like it. It's a really new Rebuild variant because it only gains Actions.

Observatory
+1 Action. Trash a card from your hand. Look at one card from your deck per $ in its cost. You may put one of them into your hand and discard any number of the others. Put the rest back in any order.
Very nice idea for TfB. But it doesn't really reward trashing expensive cards.

Treasure Fleet
+1 Buy. +$2. When you buy a card this turn, gain a Treasure card costing less than it, setting it aside. At the start of your next turn, +1 Buy and put the set aside card into your hand.
Stronger than Merchant Ship in too many cases, I suppose?

Commune

:D So you can buy this from my in-play land? Cute idea, but too political. Maybe "discard this when another player buys a Commune"? But even that is political.

Customs Officer
Cost: $1
+1 Card. +1 Action. While this is in play, when you gain a card, you may return it and this to the Supply. Gain a card with cost exactly equal to the total cost of the returned cards.
Why should this be in play for more than one turn?

Supply Ship
Gain an Action or Treasure card costing up to $4 and set it aside. At the start of your next turn, play it.
A Duration Armory. I like it, more than Treasure Fleet.

Drift Bottle
+2 Cards. Choose one: Trash the card on the Drift Bottle mat; or gain the card on the mat and discard a card per $ it costs. Put a card costing between $3 and $6 from the Supply on the mat.

Setup: Put a Silver on the Drift Bottle mat.

Clarification: There is just one communal Drift Bottle mat.
Too complicated. I suppose this is a fix for my Courier (A) of the Hinterlands Contest? The discarding is a too big penalty for gaining a particular card. However, Drift Bottle looks fun with on-trash abilities.

Royal Armada
+1 Card. +1 Action. You may choose an Action card in your hand and set it aside. At the start of your next turn, play it twice.
It looks pretty simple, but it isn't. The problem is, it turns one smithy from this turn into 6 Labs next turn. No.

Raider
+$2. Each other player discards down to 3 cards in hand. At the start of your next turn, +$1 and each other player discards down to 4 cards in hand.
Another Duration Attack this doesn't look worth it.

Seafarer's Charm
Types: Treasure – Reaction
Cost: $0
Worth $1.

When you discard this from play, you may put it on top of your deck. When another player plays an Attack card, you may discard this from your hand. If you do, you are unaffected by that Attack.

Sunken Treasure
Types: Treasure
Worth $1.

When you shuffle, put this at the bottom of your deck.

Clarification:  Seafarer's Charm and Sunken Treasure are not Kingdom Cards.  Each player begins with one of each in place of two starting Coppers.  Determine whether these Treasures are used by the proportion of Seaside cards, as one would Colonies or Shelters. Sunken Treasure has a special back.  When shuffling, you may choose the order in which you resolve multiple Sunken Treasures or Stashes.
Good ideas, but not interesting enough to change the starting decks.

Shipyard (B)
+2 Cards. Set aside a card from the Supply costing up to $6. While it is set aside, copies of it cost $1 less, but not less than $0. At the start of your next turn or when the game ends: Gain the set aside card.
Looks fun, it's a mix of Clipper and Supply Ship. But I think one of these concepts would be enough.

Docks (A)
Now and at the beginning of your next turn: +1 Card per card you have in play.
Okay, this rewards chains and especially Durations the next turn. I think its way to imbalanced.

Fishmonger
+1 Card. +1 Action. +1 Buy. At the start of your next turn, +1 Buy.
It's okay but we have enough vanilla Durations.

Scalawag
Each player may trash a Copper from his hand. If you trashed a Copper, each other player gains a Curse. At the start of your next turn, +1 Card for each Scallywag that any player has in play. If there is more than one in play, trash this.

While this is in play, when another player plays an Attack card, you may discard it. If you do, gain a Silver, putting it on top of your deck.
Too much going on here.

Convoy
+1 Action. Each other player may choose one: he draws a card; or he trashes a card from his hand. Now and at the start of your next turn, +2 Cards and +$1.
I don't want another Governor card. I mean, even with the penalty it is way to strong.

Dock (B)
+2 Actions. +1 Buy.

While this is in play, when you gain an Action card during your Buy phase, you may put this and the gained card on top of your deck in either order.
A nice one. Maybe rather a Hinterlands card. It would not cut away too much if it said "when you buy an Action card".

Harbour
+$1. You may trash this.

Do not discard this from play during your Clean-up phase. While this is in play, at the start of your turn, +1 Card. When another player buys a Victory card, discard this from play and gain a Harbour.
So this is a crazy one. Too wonky for my taste.

Shipyard (C)
+2 Buys. Now and at the start of your next turn: Look through your discard pile, reveal up to 3 Coppers from it, and put them into your hand.

While this is in play, when you would gain a card, you may gain a Copper instead.
I like Copper strategies, but this card is not really convincing me.

Expedition
Gain an Action card, putting it on top of your deck. Put a copy of it on the Expedition mat. At the start of your next turn: +1 Action and return the copied card to the Supply.

While this is in play, at the start of each other player's turn, he may play a card from the mat, returning it to the mat from play or from the trash at the end of his turn.
The other players play the card that you gain... Not a very convincing concept. If you choose Possession (you don't need potion which is maybe too strong anyway), you will be possessed in the turn when you draw the Possession. If you choose Lighthouse (or any Duration card), there will be the tracking issue. It could work, but what does it add to the game? Again, I prefer Supply Ship.

Voyage
Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal 3 costing from $3 to $6. Put those cards on top of your deck in any order and discard the rest. At the start of your next turn, +2 Cards.

When you would discard this from play, instead, trash this and gain a Voyage.
Nice idea for carddraw, but I don't like the idea of piling out automatically.

Old Seafarer
Before the Clean-up phase, set aside cards in your play area. At the start of your next turn, discard your hand, put the set-aside cards into your hand, and each other player draws a card.

While this is in play, you may not play an Old Seafarer.
Big Scheme! Nice idea, especially rewarding chains. But I don't think it might work out. Even with eHalcyon's fix, it would be very wonky, comparable to Madman. Maybe as a one-shot?

Settlement
Now and at the start of every turn this is in play: +2 Buys and +$2.

Do not discard this from play during your Clean-up phase. Instead, discard it from play when any player buys a Victory card.
The interactive Treasury. The interactive part is too political. If we cut that away, it would be very similar to Treasury.

Coastal Raiders
Each other player discards down to 3 cards in hand. At the start of your next turn, +$3.
A Duration Militia. Interesting, but not new enough to me.

Sea Harvest
+1 Action. Gain an Action card costing less than $1 per card in your hand. At the start of your next turn, gain a Treasure card costing less than $1 per card in your hand.
The good old bracket problem. For sure it is "costing less than ($1 per card in your hand)", but it's not clear. The next turn effect could be simpler if it refers to the future handsize. There are not many cases where you would have 7 or more cards. I'm not a fan of it.

Shipyard (D)
+2 Cards. Put a card from your hand on top of your deck. At the start of your next turn, gain a card costing up to $4, putting it into your hand.
The next turn effect is very strong. You can simply choose which chain component you need at this hand. I'm not sure whether this might be balanced. But if so, I really like it.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 01, 2013, 09:55:29 am »

Commune

Oh yes, I definitely agree with that. I was pointing out that it is unclear whether you can also buy it yourself, but I think the answer is "yes".

I would assume you can. Although I don't know you would. I feel this card would mostly end up with people just buying off each other, because it's too strong to leave in play for long. So it may never even take effect, or only take effect a few times. And I'd rather trash when I know my cards, not when I don't know what my next hand is.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 01, 2013, 10:49:36 am »
+3

I think Harbor master could be fixed by removing the discard option entirely.  It eliminates the multiple-play problem, and gets rid of most of the confusion about when things happen.  So:

"+3 Cards.  At the start of your next turn, you may trash this.  If you do, +3 Cards."

All copies that were played therefore stay in play until the next turn, so no infinite loops, no confusion about whether this stays in play because it might not do anything next round, etc.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Just a Rube

• Golem
  • Respect: +385
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 01, 2013, 11:04:08 am »

I think Harbor master could be fixed by removing the discard option entirely.  It eliminates the multiple-play problem, and gets rid of most of the confusion about when things happen.  So:

"+3 Cards.  At the start of your next turn, you may trash this.  If you do, +3 Cards."

All copies that were played therefore stay in play until the next turn, so no infinite loops, no confusion about whether this stays in play because it might not do anything next round, etc.
Seems like a good change. Also +1 for taking my super-important suggestion into effect implicitly.

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #156 on: October 01, 2013, 11:05:55 am »

Or, "You may trash this. If you do, at the start of your next turn, +3 Cards", so that it isn't just a Smithy that misses reshuffles and can only be used in engines on alternate turns. But then it's strictly better than Smithy so can't cost $4, but so marginally that it can't cost $5.
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 01, 2013, 11:20:50 am »
+1

Or, "You may trash this. If you do, at the start of your next turn, +3 Cards", so that it isn't just a Smithy that misses reshuffles and can only be used in engines on alternate turns. But then it's strictly better than Smithy so can't cost $4, but so marginally that it can't cost $5.

That's fine mechanically, but it has tracking issues: if I trash it now, it's going to be tough to remember that I'm getting +Cards on my next turn.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 01, 2013, 11:38:18 am »

Seems like a good change. Also +1 for taking my super-important suggestion into effect implicitly.

That's just autocorrect on my tablet that did that though!
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

cluckyb

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +169
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 01, 2013, 01:56:41 pm »

I want to point out that Harbourmaster's original wording worked fine when the ballot first went up yesterday.  In fact, WW eventually redeveloped that wording in his video.  Why did it get changed?

No it didn't. It created a headache if you played it with Throne Room. You play it once, don't discard it, play it a second time, discard it and now you're getting +3 cards next turn and need to trash a Habormaster sitting in the middle of your deck. So lose track rule probably cancels out the trashing, but you still get the +3 cards with no way of tracking that. (Plus now you have conflicting rules saying it gets discarded and its a duration that's still in effect so it stays out).

Kirian's solution seems to work. You can trash it if its already trashed, so you still get the throne room bonus. (and for some reason if you only want a +3 throne room bonus you can get that too). Loses the ability to play it more than once per turn, but like people pointed out that causes some problems. (Maybe "If you don't, then at the start of your next turn trash this and +3 cards" would work? Then you don't have the in play issue causing the second playing of habormaster to cause problems, but you can still play it multiple times per turn if you want to do something cool with that)

That's fine mechanically, but it has tracking issues: if I trash it now, it's going to be tough to remember that I'm getting +Cards on my next turn.

Don't *all* durations have that problem with procession?

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 01, 2013, 02:09:23 pm »

Yes, but at least you leave the Procession in play to remind you that something's supposed to happen on your next turn. This leaves you with nothing, ever.

cluckyb

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 01, 2013, 02:14:51 pm »
+1

Yes, but at least you leave the Procession in play to remind you that something's supposed to happen on your next turn. This leaves you with nothing, ever.

Why doesn't the procession stay out? It is still having an effect, right? Or are you trashing it in a different manner?

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 01, 2013, 02:23:38 pm »
+1

Why doesn't the procession stay out? It is still having an effect, right? Or are you trashing it in a different manner?

Because you didn't procession it. The card on its own lets you trash it and then has a next turn effect, for which you will have no reminder.
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

cluckyb

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 01, 2013, 02:29:27 pm »

Because you didn't procession it. The card on its own lets you trash it and then has a next turn effect, for which you will have no reminder.

Oh, I thought you guys were talking about the current version. Yeah you need to trash it at the start of the next turn.

Is the only issue with the current version the "what if you draw your deck and play it twice" bug?

GeoLib

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 01, 2013, 02:35:11 pm »

How about something along the lines of "During cleanup this turn, you may choose to leave this in play instead of discarding it. If you do, at the start of your next turn, trash this and +3 cards"
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: October 01, 2013, 03:00:37 pm »

How about something along the lines of "During cleanup this turn, you may choose to leave this in play instead of discarding it. If you do, at the start of your next turn, trash this and +3 cards"

You can also discard it during the buy phase, which is a bit different (HoP, Peddler) but not too much, and its less strange that saying that you can choose not to discard something in clean-up without it "currently" having an effect next turn.

GeoLib

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 01, 2013, 03:06:05 pm »

You can also discard it during the buy phase, which is a bit different (HoP, Peddler) but not too much, and its less strange that saying that you can choose not to discard something in clean-up without it "currently" having an effect next turn.

Really? I would say that the headache that arises from being able to discard something mid-turn and potentially re-play it is much larger.

What if at the end of your turn you could choose to set it aside rather than leaving it in play? Like "During cleanup this turn, you may set this aside instead of discarding it. If you do, at the start of your next turn, trash this and +3 cards."

Ultimately though, I'm not sure it's that compelling a card, even if all the wording/tracking issues could be worked out.
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 01, 2013, 03:07:11 pm »

Really? I would say that the headache that arises from being able to discard something mid-turn and potentially re-play it is much larger.

That's why I suggested discarding it during the buy phase, so it cannot be replayed.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2144
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 01, 2013, 03:58:09 pm »

My comments on some of the cards (if I don't comment on a card, it's because I don't have much to say about it):

Lockbox

When you discard this from play, if you do not buy a card this turn, you may set aside up to 3 Treasures from play. At the start of your next turn, put the set-aside Treasures into your hand.
It's very weak on play, and then it saves up some treasures you don't use on your next turn for the turn after that, sort of like a weaker, super-delayed Tactician.  The idea is interesting but I think it just has to be way too weak as it is.  Hard to say though.  The +buy also seems contrary to what it wants you to do; maybe the idea is that you get a choice between a double buy turn now, or a nice hand next turn?

Star Charts
Now and at the start of your next turn, look at the top 4 cards of your deck, discard any number of them, and put the rest back in any order.

While this is in play, when a player buys a card other than a Victory card, he gains a copy of that card, putting it on top of his deck.
The top half is actually identical to something I considered submitting but couldn't get to work right.  The bottom half is interesting and unique.  I think the card is probably pretty reasonably well-balanced as it is.  If everyone goes for it in a multi-player game, it could lead to some short games, but that's already an issue with Ambassador, and this isn't as likely to be dominating so that everyone is going for it.  I like it a lot, and I like the name too.

Shipwreck Cove
+2 Cards. Each other player chooses a card he has in play and discards it. If that card would do something at the start of that player's next turn, that effect is cancelled. At the start of your next turn, +1 Action.
This seems anti-fun to me.  I'm not sure if the fact that it hurts other Seaside cards means that it fits into Seaside better or worse than it otherwise would.  It's a unique concept but I think it would end up just encouraging people to stay away from Durations, and why are we playing Seaside if we're not using Durations.

Harbourmaster
+3 Cards. You may discard this from play. If this is in play at the the start of your next turn, trash it and +3 Cards.
Aside from wording issues (I don't like that you can play the same copy of it twice in one turn as it is currently worded), I think I like it a lot.  You can either pop it early to get your deck assembled faster, or hang onto it for a while to use it as terminal draw, then pop it near the end for an extra boost to bump you up to Province again after you've already been greening.

Tariff

While this is in play, when the chosen player buys an Action or Treasure card, you my discard a card. If you do, +1 Card.
Seems like kind of an awkward attempt to get a duration with "while in play" to work.

Clipper

This could also lead to short games.  It does create some interesting player interaction.  I guess it's supposed to be sort of a reverse Embargo?  I'm not sure how you would use it to your benefit, but I'm also not sure how you're supposed to use Embargo to your benefit.  It would also be funny if you Clippered and Embargoed the same card.

Ship of the Line
You may gain a Victory card costing less than a Province. At the start of your next turn, +3 Cards.

I think I would like it except that it can just slow games down to a crawl.  If both players are playing several of these per turn, or if it's a multi-player game, the price of Province can climb out of reach.  So it gives you a way to gain other victory cards, but if there's no alt VP, there's no guarantee that anyone will want to end the game.  It seems dangerous but maybe it's okay.

Investment
You may choose an Action card from your hand. Set aside this and the chosen card on your Investment mat. Return them to your deck at the end of the game.

This could be interesting but it seems like it has to be too weak, or maybe terribroken.  It's a lot of trouble to go to to buy a card, buy an Investment, line up the card with Investment, and then get more of that card for the bonus.  Like, even if it's just a $2, you spend $7 and 2 buys on a copy of it and an Investment, then clear them out of your deck, and then you get +$1 every time you play that $2 card.  You would have to play it 7 times (probably reasonable if it's a cantrip) to make up for the $7 you spent, and that still doesn't account for the buys you spend getting the first copy of it+Investment, but more importantly, you spend that $7 early on, when you could be building a deck and accelerating it.  Instead you spend $7 to slow yourself down for a bit before building back up.  So it's certainly at least situational.  It might actually be okay though, but I think it would be terribroken.

Fisherman
+1 Buy. +$1.

When you discard this from play, put one of your Fisherman token on a Supply pile that costs $6 or less which is not a Victory card pile.

When you buy a card, gain a copy of it for each of your Fisherman tokens on that pile and remove all of your Fisherman tokens.

Clarification: Each player has his own Fisherman tokens (maybe in different colors) and you only gain copies of the bought card for YOUR tokens.
The more I think about this card the more convinced I become that it's actually a very good card.  I didn't think I liked it at first.  I think it could just say "not a victory card" though; the "$6 or less" restriction seems unnecessary.  Yeah gaining an extra Platinum is powerful, but I don't think it's worth the extra text.  Maybe just personal taste though.

Recycle
Trash a card from your hand. Gain a card costing up to $2 more than the trashed card, setting it aside face down. At the start of your next turn, return the gained card to your hand and trash a card from your hand, gaining a card costing up to $1 more than that trashed card.
I like the idea of a duration remodeler that saves the gained card for the next turn.  I think I like this card a lot.

Kraken

When you put this on top of your deck, you may reveal it. If you do, choose a card in the Supply; each other player gains a copy of the chosen card, putting it on the bottom of his deck.
Seems really weird, and also really weak.  You have to get a lot of them to trigger themselves, but you can't really load up on a $6 card, so it really wants support.  It can keep junking after the curses are out, but it's not likely for Kraken to run out the curses by itself.  I think it's just way overpriced, like it might even be okay at $4.

I'm out of time now but I'll try to comment on more later.

GeoLib

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 01, 2013, 05:04:59 pm »

That's why I suggested discarding it during the buy phase, so it cannot be replayed.

Oops. I misunderstood your post as saying that the current version (discard on play) means that it would have been discarded (i.e. not in play) during the buy phase which was different from the version as I phrased it. Sorry about that.
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

Nic

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +85
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 01, 2013, 08:15:57 pm »
+1

Harbour
+$1. You may trash this.

Do not discard this from play during your Clean-up phase. While this is in play, at the start of your turn, +1 Card. When another player buys a Victory card, discard this from play and gain a Harbour.
So it's junk in your hand or deck, but as good as a lab if it stays in play for an entire turn. Any other player can break it by buying a Victory card, which would in turn junk you more. If there are multiple Harbors in play and I can afford an extra Estate, then buying it would junk the other players more than me. Not buying it would put me at a fair disadvantage next turn. I think the choice is too easy for the other players in most cases. Even if it isn't, that still makes it intensely political, when a spiteful player can clog his deck with Estates to prevent a Harbor player from getting off the ground.

Voyage
Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal 3 costing from $3 to $6. Put those cards on top of your deck in any order and discard the rest. At the start of your next turn, +2 Cards.

If that '+2 cards' was replaced by +1 action, this would be my favoritest card ever. The cost-based sifting is very clever and fun, and the would-discard effect is a very original middle ground between engine cards and one-shots. It also pretty much requires you to type it Duration, so you don't discard them so fast. It's two-thirds the perfect Dominion card. But more cards is a silly bonus when your hand already has three good cards and two average ones. It's very strong, in the same way that "+3 Cards, +$2" is strong in a redundant way. But +1 action would be a nice nerf, while allowing you more flexibility with buying terminals. That's a big deal when you're sifting so much, especially if the only village on the board is $2.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 01:55:32 am by Nic »

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 01, 2013, 08:19:01 pm »

Ballot Update: Clarified that it's the Scalawag you may discard when another player plays an Attack card.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5459
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 01, 2013, 08:33:20 pm »

Ballot Update: Clarified that it's the Scalawag you may discard when another player plays an Attack card.

This is pretty minor, but the name of the card is Scalawag, yet its text refers to Scallywag.
Well you *do* need a signature...

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 01, 2013, 10:52:42 pm »

Due to time issues and the like, I've decided to replace my extensive voice comments with extensive text comments.

Edit: No card in this contest. All thoughts are genuine. You wouldn't believe how hard it was to say only what I said about some of these.

Lockbox

Indifferent

Star Charts

Indifferent

Shipwreck Cove

Dislike

Harbourmaster

Tariff

Dislike

Clipper

Indifferent

Beacon (A)
+1 Action.

While this is in play, keep the top card of your deck revealed. During your Action or Buy phase, when the top card of your deck is an Action or Treasure, you may discard this from play. If you do, play that card and gain a copy of it.

Indifferent

Cottage
+2 Cards. +2 Actions. Put 2 cards from your hand on top of your deck. At the start of your next turn, reveal the top 2 cards of your deck. You may discard one of them. You may trash one of them. Put the rest back in any order.

Indifferent

Ship of the Line

Dislike

Investment

Dislike

Shipyard (A)
+1 Card. Now and at the start of your next turn, trash a card from your hand.

Indifferent

Fisherman
+1 Buy. +$1.

Dislike

Thugs
Types: Action – Attack
+2 Buys. +$2. Each other player with 4 or more cards in hand discards 1 card for each card he gained last turn. Each other player with no cards in hand draws 3 cards.

Dislike

Cannon
+1 Action. +1 Buy. At the start of your next turn, you may trash up to 2 cards that are not Curses. If you trash exactly 1 card, each other player discards down to 3 cards in hand. If you trash exactly 2 cards, each other player gains a Curse.

Dislike

Recycle

Martello
Now and at the start of your next turn: +1 Action and +1 Buy.

While this is in play, when any player gains a card, you may choose for him to put that card on top of his deck. If you do, he may first discard the top card of his deck.

EDIT: Changed "when another player gains a card" to "when any player gains a card" on Martello.

Indifferent

Kraken

Flagship
Set aside a card from your hand face down. At the beginning of your next turn, reveal the set aside card, then reveal cards from your deck until you reveal a copy of it. Discard the other revealed cards and either trash both copies or put them into your hand.

Vessel
Now and at the start of your next turn: +1 Buy and +$1.

While this is in play, when another player gains a card costing $4 or more, gain a card costing less than it.

Dislike

Mermaid
+1 Action. Discard the top card of your deck. Put the bottom card of your deck into your hand. You may put up to 2 cards from your hand on the bottom of your deck.

Dislike

Beacon (B)
+2 Cards. At the start of your next turn, +1 Card and put a card from your hand on top of your deck.

While this is in play, when you gain a card, trash that card or put it on top of your deck.

Indifferent

Dispatch
Trash a card from your hand. Gain an Action card costing up to $2 more than it, setting it aside face down. At the start of your next turn, play that Action card.

Observatory
+1 Action. Trash a card from your hand. Look at one card from your deck per $ in its cost. You may put one of them into your hand and discard any number of the others. Put the rest back in any order.

Treasure Fleet
+1 Buy. +$2. When you buy a card this turn, gain a Treasure card costing less than it, setting it aside. At the start of your next turn, +1 Buy and put the set aside card into your hand.

EDIT: Reworded Treasure Fleet so that it only works and is Throne-able.

Dislike

Commune

Dislike

Customs Officer
Cost: $1
+1 Card. +1 Action. While this is in play, when you gain a card, you may return it and this to the Supply. Gain a card with cost exactly equal to the total cost of the returned cards.

Dislike

Supply Ship
Gain an Action or Treasure card costing up to $4 and set it aside. At the start of your next turn, play it.

Drift Bottle
+2 Cards. Choose one: Trash the card on the Drift Bottle mat; or gain the card on the mat and discard a card per $ it costs. Put a card costing between $3 and $6 from the Supply on the mat.

Setup: Put a Silver on the Drift Bottle mat.

Clarification: There is just one communal Drift Bottle mat.

Indifferent

Royal Armada
+1 Card. +1 Action. You may choose an Action card in your hand and set it aside. At the start of your next turn, play it twice.

Indifferent

Raider
+$2. Each other player discards down to 3 cards in hand. At the start of your next turn, +$1 and each other player discards down to 4 cards in hand.

Dislike

Seafarer's Charm
Types: Treasure – Reaction
Cost: $0
Worth $1.

When you discard this from play, you may put it on top of your deck. When another player plays an Attack card, you may discard this from your hand. If you do, you are unaffected by that Attack.

Dislike

Sunken Treasure
Types: Treasure
Worth $1.

When you shuffle, put this at the bottom of your deck.

Clarification:  Seafarer's Charm and Sunken Treasure are not Kingdom Cards.  Each player begins with one of each in place of two starting Coppers.  Determine whether these Treasures are used by the proportion of Seaside cards, as one would Colonies or Shelters. Sunken Treasure has a special back.  When shuffling, you may choose the order in which you resolve multiple Sunken Treasures or Stashes.

Shipyard (B)
+2 Cards. Set aside a card from the Supply costing up to $6. While it is set aside, copies of it cost $1 less, but not less than $0. At the start of your next turn or when the game ends: Gain the set aside card.

Indifferent

Docks (A)
Now and at the beginning of your next turn: +1 Card per card you have in play.

Dislike

Fishmonger
+1 Card. +1 Action. +1 Buy. At the start of your next turn, +1 Buy.

Scalawag
Each player may trash a Copper from his hand. If you trashed a Copper, each other player gains a Curse. At the start of your next turn, +1 Card for each Scallywag that any player has in play. If there is more than one in play, trash this.

While this is in play, when another player plays an Attack card, you may discard this. If you do, gain a Silver, putting it on top of your deck.

EDIT: Clarified that it's the Scalawag you may discard when another player plays an Attack card.

Dislike

Convoy
+1 Action. Each other player may choose one: he draws a card; or he trashes a card from his hand. Now and at the start of your next turn, +2 Cards and +$1.

Dislike

Dock (B)
+2 Actions. +1 Buy.

While this is in play, when you gain an Action card during your Buy phase, you may put this and the gained card on top of your deck in either order.

EDIT: The under-line effect of Dock (B) is now limited to the Buy phase.

Indifferent

Harbour
+$1. You may trash this.

Indifferent

Shipyard (C)
+2 Buys. Now and at the start of your next turn: Look through your discard pile, reveal up to 3 Coppers from it, and put them into your hand.

While this is in play, when you would gain a card, you may gain a Copper instead.

Indifferent

Expedition
Gain an Action card, putting it on top of your deck. Put a copy of it on the Expedition mat. At the start of your next turn: +1 Action and return the copied card to the Supply.

While this is in play, at the start of each other player's turn, he may play a card from the mat, returning it to the mat from play or from the trash at the end of his turn.

Indifferent

Voyage

Indifferent

Old Seafarer
Before the Clean-up phase, set aside cards in your play area. At the start of your next turn, discard your hand, put the set-aside cards into your hand, and each other player draws a card.

While this is in play, you may not play an Old Seafarer.

Dislike

Settlement
Now and at the start of every turn this is in play: +2 Buys and +$2.

Do not discard this from play during your Clean-up phase. Instead, discard it from play when any player buys a Victory card.

Indifferent

Coastal Raiders
Each other player discards down to 3 cards in hand. At the start of your next turn, +$3.

Dislike

Sea Harvest
+1 Action. Gain an Action card costing less than $1 per card in your hand. At the start of your next turn, gain a Treasure card costing less than $1 per card in your hand.

Dislike

Shipyard (D)
+2 Cards. Put a card from your hand on top of your deck. At the start of your next turn, gain a card costing up to $4, putting it into your hand.

Indifferent
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 01:36:20 am by Tables »
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 01, 2013, 11:05:18 pm »

This is pretty minor, but the name of the card is Scalawag, yet its text refers to Scallywag.

Whoops-a-doodle! Fixed.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14  All

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 21 queries.