Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14  All

Author Topic: Treasure Chest Design Contest — Card #4: Seaside  (Read 96784 times)

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
Re: Treasure Chest Design Contest — Card #4: Seaside
« Reply #100 on: September 30, 2013, 04:30:21 pm »

Ballot Edit: Removed the Attack type of Kraken. It does not attack on-play.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 30, 2013, 04:33:33 pm »

Ballot's up. Let me know if I misprinted or omitted your card. Thanks!

Someone had a very similar idea to myself.  Of course, I think mine is better.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 30, 2013, 04:35:01 pm »
+3

No, Mint is.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 30, 2013, 04:37:38 pm »
+1

I think yours is better, too.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 30, 2013, 04:40:13 pm »

Fisherman
Types: Action
Cost: $4
+1 Buy. +$1.

When you discard this from play, put one of your Fisherman token on a Supply pile that costs $6 or less which is not a Victory card pile.

When you buy a card, gain a copy of it for each of your Fisherman tokens on that pile and remove all of your Fisherman tokens.

Clarification: Each player has his own Fisherman tokens (maybe in different colors) and you only gain copies of the bought card for YOUR tokens.

I like the idea, but I think it would need some limit on the number of tokens allowed on a pile. I can already picture a Gardens game, playing fisherman, placing my tenth token on the coppers then buying 20 of them in one turn. 3 tokens per pile seems like an ok limit. Beggar gains 3 coppers into your hand, so 4 coppers into your discard might be alright. Otherwise the limit should be 2 tokens per pile.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: September 30, 2013, 04:40:47 pm »

No, Mint is.

It's funny because it's a Mine/Mint joke.

ChocophileBenj

• Minion
  • Respect: +575
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 30, 2013, 04:42:00 pm »

SCOUT !

I was afraid of the moment Mine/Mint jokes would invade us !
Chocolate is like victory points in Dominion. Both taste good but they'll hurt you if you eat too much of it instead of something else in your early days.

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 30, 2013, 04:43:15 pm »

Ballot Edit: Dock (B)'s under-line effect is now limited to the Buy phase. It was originally an on-buy effect, but I changed it to on-gain because you can't (or shouldn't) move a card you haven't yet gained.

In other news, my rules are arbitrary and ever-changing! I just wanted to let you all know that I have submitted two cards to this contest. One is a card I just want feedback on and it will be disqualified should it win. The other is a bona-fide, real-life submission. I cribbed part of it from another submitted card and I plan to credit that card's author if it wins.

ChocophileBenj

• Minion
  • Respect: +575
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 30, 2013, 04:51:27 pm »

I forgot to comment about the contest :
there are many Action-Attack-Duration cards. I'm not sure whether I like this types. In fact, I don't like action cards that has more than 1 "add-on" (attack / reaction / duration / victory).
But I still may vote for them because I'm good guy Benj (and there may be nice ideas, but I didn't read all yet)

And "Old seafarer" is badly worded : "You may not play", what if Golem or Herald or something forces you to play it ?
I think it should be : "If you don't already have an Old Seafarer in play".
Chocolate is like victory points in Dominion. Both taste good but they'll hurt you if you eat too much of it instead of something else in your early days.

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 30, 2013, 05:01:31 pm »

I forgot to comment about the contest :
there are many Action-Attack-Duration cards. I'm not sure whether I like this types. In fact, I don't like action cards that has more than 1 "add-on" (attack / reaction / duration / victory).
But I still may vote for them because I'm good guy Benj (and there may be nice ideas, but I didn't read all yet)

After seeing Dame Josephine, I don't really mind cards with 3 types. I quite like Coastal Raiders, but I may not vote for it since Seaside already has five Attack cards.

And "Old seafarer" is badly worded : "You may not play", what if Golem or Herald or something forces you to play it ?
I think it should be : "If you don't already have an Old Seafarer in play".

I don't think I've explicitly said this before, but sometimes even when I know a wording doesn't work and there isn't an obvious rewording I just leave it as-is and let you, the voters, judge. I'm lazy that way.

This is one of those cases.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 30, 2013, 05:08:43 pm »
+5

I think it is pretty amazing that you reformat and reword at all.  If I were running this, I would probably post a template to follow, and then post cards in whatever form they are submitted.  Hopefully the fear of public shaming would get people to follow the template, look at established wordings, and double check vanilla bonus orders.
Well you *do* need a signature...

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 30, 2013, 05:14:00 pm »
+3

I knew some people predicted a high duration ratio, but i didn't expect it to be this extreme:

Kingdom cards: 45
Kingdom cards without Duration type: 10
Kingdom cards without Duration type, Tokens or Mats: 4

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #112 on: September 30, 2013, 05:22:53 pm »

Fisherman
+1 Buy. +$1.

When you discard this from play, put one of your Fisherman token on a Supply pile that costs $6 or less which is not a Victory card pile.

When you buy a card, gain a copy of it for each of your Fisherman tokens on that pile and remove all of your Fisherman tokens.

Clarification: Each player has his own Fisherman tokens (maybe in different colors) and you only gain copies of the bought card for YOUR tokens.

I like the idea, but I think it would need some limit on the number of tokens allowed on a pile. I can already picture a Gardens game, playing fisherman, placing my tenth token on the coppers then buying 20 of them in one turn. 3 tokens per pile seems like an ok limit. Beggar gains 3 coppers into your hand, so 4 coppers into your discard might be alright. Otherwise the limit should be 2 tokens per pile.

I don't see the problem. Let's say you managed to play 10 tokens on Copper. You buy 1 Copper, gain 10 more, but then all of your Fisherman tokens are removed and if you buy another Copper, you just get 1. If you've managed to get than many tokens in play before your opponent ends the game, I say good for you.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 30, 2013, 05:24:34 pm »
+2

I knew some people predicted a high duration ratio, but i didn't expect it to be this extreme:

Lower than I expected, I truly thought it would be over 90% durations.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 30, 2013, 05:25:17 pm »
+5

I think it is pretty amazing that you reformat and reword at all.  If I were running this, I would probably post a template to follow, and then post cards in whatever form they are submitted.  Hopefully the fear of public shaming would get people to follow the template, look at established wordings, and double check vanilla bonus orders.

Thanks. There are really three reasons I'm doing this reformatting. First, my sense of aesthetics demands it. Second, if I left all the cards as-is, it would be easier to figure out which card was made by whom. (Is "whom" right there? It sounds right to me.) Third, it hopefully cuts down on conversations about card re-wordings, making more room for conversations about what the cards actually do.

Well, people love Durations. It's probably the most requested callback for a Dominion mechanic. Although part of me would like to stipulate that we can only include one Duration card in our two Seaside cards, I don't think that's realistic. Maybe we could do with two more Durations, as long as they're good ones. Mad bonus points for those of you who submitted non-Durations, though. Way to buck the trend!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 05:37:38 pm by LastFootnote »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 30, 2013, 05:25:25 pm »

Thoughts, with some excluded, so as to disguise my card.

Lockbox
Types: Action – Duration
Now and at the start of your next turn: +1 Buy.

When you discard this from play, if you do not buy a card this turn, you may set aside up to 3 Treasures from play. At the start of your next turn, put the set-aside Treasures into your hand.

Meh.  Sort of like a Mandarin that doesn't even let you use the Treasures.

Star Charts
Cost: $5
Now and at the start of your next turn, look at the top 4 cards of your deck, discard any number of them, and put the rest back in any order.

While this is in play, when a player buys a card other than a Victory card, he gains a copy of that card, putting it on top of his deck.

I like the idea behind this, but I think in practice, this will quickly get very ridiculous, particularly in 4-player games.  3 Platina on top of my deck!  Thanks, guys!

Shipwreck Cove
Types: Action – Attack – Duration
+2 Cards. Each other player chooses a card he has in play and discards it. If that card would do something at the start of that player's next turn, that effect is cancelled. At the start of your next turn, +1 Action.

I like the card space that is being explored here, but I think in practice this is just going to really, really piss people off.  I also don't like the wording "that effect is cancelled."

Harbourmaster
+3 Cards. You may discard this from play. If this is in play at the the start of your next turn, trash it and +3 Cards.

So... an infinite Smithy?  If you've played a lot of Fishing Villages, you can just keep using Scavengers to play it over and over again.

Tariff
+$2. Choose another player. At the start of your next turn, +$1.

While this is in play, when the chosen player buys an Action or Treasure card, you my discard a card. If you do, +1 Card.

Hmmmmmmm.  I think I like it.  Seems well-priced.  And it doesn't get ridiculous in multiplayer.

Clipper
Cost: $3
+1 Card. +1 Action. Put a Coin token on an Action card pile in the Supply.

Cards cost $1 less per Coin token on their Supply pile, but not less than $0.

I actually really like this.  It allows for awesome Band of Misfits shenanigans.  Though I'm concerned with all the Coin tokens this will require.  It may also get confusing with Trade Route in the same kingdom.

Beacon (A)
Cost: $6
+1 Action.

While this is in play, keep the top card of your deck revealed. During your Action or Buy phase, when the top card of your deck is an Action or Treasure, you may discard this from play. If you do, play that card and gain a copy of it.

This... this is not worth $6.  And I don't even want to think about what playing Actions during your Buy phase is going to usher in.

Ship of the Line
You may gain a Victory card costing less than a Province. At the start of your next turn, +3 Cards.

While this is in play, Victory cards cost $1 more.

Cute idea, but Provinces will get real expensive real quickly.  Can you say Duchy rush?

Investment
You may choose an Action card from your hand. Set aside this and the chosen card on your Investment mat. Return them to your deck at the end of the game.

When you play an Action card, +$1 per copy of it on your Investment mat.

Cute.  But probably not worth it.

Fisherman
+1 Buy. +$1.

Too complicated, too confusing.  Are you seriously considering having six different sets of tokens included in what is supposed to just be a "we want more from each expansion" set?

Thugs
Types: Action – Attack
+2 Buys. +$2. Each other player with 4 or more cards in hand discards 1 card for each card he gained last turn. Each other player with no cards in hand draws 3 cards.

Way too hard to track.

Kraken
Types: Action – Reaction
+$2. Put a card from your hand on top of your deck.

When you put this on top of your deck, you may reveal it. If you do, choose a card in the Supply; each other player gains a copy of the chosen card, putting it on the bottom of his deck.

Cute, but far too expensive.

Flagship
Set aside a card from your hand face down. At the beginning of your next turn, reveal the set aside card, then reveal cards from your deck until you reveal a copy of it. Discard the other revealed cards and either trash both copies or put them into your hand.

Interesting.  So you use it to trash Coppers/Estates/Curses or to line up Treasure Maps.

Vessel
Now and at the start of your next turn: +1 Buy and +$1.

While this is in play, when another player gains a card costing $4 or more, gain a card costing less than it.

I see you getting a lot of Silvers out of this.

Mermaid
Cost: $2
+1 Action. Discard the top card of your deck. Put the bottom card of your deck into your hand. You may put up to 2 cards from your hand on the bottom of your deck.

So, a really awkward Secret Chamber?

Beacon (B)
+2 Cards. At the start of your next turn, +1 Card and put a card from your hand on top of your deck.

While this is in play, when you gain a card, trash that card or put it on top of your deck.

Lighthouse:Moat as Beacon (B):Watchtower

Dispatch
Trash a card from your hand. Gain an Action card costing up to $2 more than it, setting it aside face down. At the start of your next turn, play that Action card.

What is with everyone making "set it aside face down" cards?

Observatory
+1 Action. Trash a card from your hand. Look at one card from your deck per $ in its cost. You may put one of them into your hand and discard any number of the others. Put the rest back in any order.

Cute, but it seems inexpensive for what it does.

Commune
Now and at the start of every turn this card is in play: Trash a card from your hand. Draw until you have 5 cards in hand.

Do not discard this from play during your Clean-up phase. While this is in play, it is also in the Supply.

I hate it.  Sorry I can't be more constructive than that, but I really dislike that this makes you trash every turn.  Also, why is it also in the Supply while in play?  So you can Band of Misfits it when all 10 are bought?

Customs Officer
Cost: $1
+1 Card. +1 Action. While this is in play, when you gain a card, you may return it and this to the Supply. Gain a card with cost exactly equal to the total cost of the returned cards.

So if you get a Curse, you get another Customs Officer.  You need to have something else, though, like a "this stays in play until its reaction thingy" or whatever.  Otherwise it's just going to get discarded after at most two turns.

Drift Bottle
+2 Cards. Choose one: Trash the card on the Drift Bottle mat; or gain the card on the mat and discard a card per $ it costs. Put a card costing between $3 and $6 from the Supply on the mat.

Setup: Put a Silver on the Drift Bottle mat.

Clarification: There is just one communal Drift Bottle mat.

Interesting.  Lots of nice inter-player interaction.

Seafarer's Charm
Types: Treasure – Reaction
Cost: $0
Worth $1.

When you discard this from play, you may put it on top of your deck. When another player plays an Attack card, you may discard this from your hand. If you do, you are unaffected by that Attack.

Sunken Treasure
Types: Treasure
Worth $1.

When you shuffle, put this at the bottom of your deck.

Clarification:  Seafarer's Charm and Sunken Treasure are not Kingdom Cards.  Each player begins with one of each in place of two starting Coppers.  Determine whether these Treasures are used by the proportion of Seaside cards, as one would Colonies or Shelters. Sunken Treasure has a special back.  When shuffling, you may choose the order in which you resolve multiple Sunken Treasures or Stashes.

Replacing starting cards is not really Seaside's schtick.

Docks (A)
Now and at the beginning of your next turn: +1 Card per card you have in play.

Hoo boy I see this getting ridiculous.  Cool.

Fishmonger
+1 Card. +1 Action. +1 Buy. At the start of your next turn, +1 Buy.

Kinda boring.  Getting just +Buy at the start of my next turn just doesn't really do anything for me.

Scalawag
Each player may trash a Copper from his hand. If you trashed a Copper, each other player gains a Curse. At the start of your next turn, +1 Card for each Scallywag that any player has in play. If there is more than one in play, trash this.

While this is in play, when another player plays an Attack card, you may discard it. If you do, gain a Silver, putting it on top of your deck.

This is just a little too complicated.  We're not on Dark Ages, people.  This is Seaside.

Harbour
+$1. You may trash this.

Do not discard this from play during your Clean-up phase. While this is in play, at the start of your turn, +1 Card. When another player buys a Victory card, discard this from play and gain a Harbour.

Um... what?  What is the point of this?  What are you trying to do?  Why would you want to trash this immediately?

Settlement
Now and at the start of every turn this is in play: +2 Buys and +$2.

Do not discard this from play during your Clean-up phase. Instead, discard it from play when any player buys a Victory card.

I'm sorry, I'm just not a fan of any of these indefinite Durations.  Also, why are these all getting discarded when someone buys a Victory card?

Sea Harvest
+1 Action. Gain an Action card costing less than $1 per card in your hand. At the start of your next turn, gain a Treasure card costing less than $1 per card in your hand.

Cute.  The +1 Action is nice.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 30, 2013, 05:29:35 pm »

In truth, nobody is doing that. It was a rewording of mine. I had a realization recently. If a Duration sets aside a card face-up, and that card is another Duration, it's easy to lose track of the fact that it isn't just another Duration card you played last turn. Hence, I changed set-aside cards to face-down.

It's possible that this is one of the reasons Haven sets aside cards face down.

Commune
Now and at the start of every turn this card is in play: Trash a card from your hand. Draw until you have 5 cards in hand.

Do not discard this from play during your Clean-up phase. While this is in play, it is also in the Supply.

I hate it.  Sorry I can't be more constructive than that, but I really dislike that this makes you trash every turn.  Also, why is it also in the Supply while in play?  So you can Band of Misfits it when all 10 are bought?

It's in the Supply so that other players can buy (or gain) it out from under you. That's how it leaves play.

Lockbox

When you discard this from play, if you do not buy a card this turn, you may set aside up to 3 Treasures from play. At the start of your next turn, put the set-aside Treasures into your hand.

Except that Mandarin topdecks the cards, whereas this "havens" them into your next hand.

Honestly, you're not really reading these very carefully, are you?   :-\
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 05:36:42 pm by LastFootnote »

cluckyb

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +169
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 30, 2013, 05:42:33 pm »

Doing the first halfish. One of these is my card but I think I was fair to it

Lockbox

Seems... alright. Top half is fairly boring. Bottom half is potentially useful and provides a strong 'weaker card now vs more guarantee at better card later' trade-off which is relevant both early game and late game but not sure how often its actually worth picking up.

Star Charts
Now and at the start of your next turn, look at the top 4 cards of your deck, discard any number of them, and put the rest back in any order.

While this is in play, when a player buys a card other than a Victory card, he gains a copy of that card, putting it on top of his deck.

Top half is cool. Getting to filter the top of your deck before your turn starts seems strong but not overpowering strong. The bottom half I'm not so sure. Could get out of hand very fast and really helps others as much as it helps you and make the game go pretty fast. I'd probably vote for this with just the top half but not sure about it with the bottom half.

Shipwreck Cove
+2 Cards. Each other player chooses a card he has in play and discards it. If that card would do something at the start of that player's next turn, that effect is cancelled. At the start of your next turn, +1 Action.

Eh. Not a fan of the killing durations. Feels like it would make the game less fun.

Harbourmaster
+3 Cards. You may discard this from play. If this is in play at the the start of your next turn, trash it and +3 Cards.

(I'm not even sure this fixes the throne room issue. You'd trash it the first time, and then it wouldn't be in play so you it wouldn't be "in play". But lets assume we can reword is so that throne room is +6 cards, either discard it from play or at the start of your next turn +6 cards and trash it which is what its supposed to be)

i like it. Might be a little weak though. +2 cards and +1 buy is worse to start your next turn than +3 Cards, but not by a whole lot. Granted Wharf is one of the strongest cards in the game so that isn't quite a big deal. I just think whereas with Mining Village you can generally know that its worthwhile trashing it, it might be annoying to trash your Habourmasters only to not actually need the help on your next turn.

Tariff

While this is in play, when the chosen player buys an Action or Treasure card, you my discard a card. If you do, +1 Card.

Eh, I dislike the politics. If you made it player to your left/right it would be somewhat interesting. Making it "another player buys and Action or Treasure" might also work though that could be too powerful, I'm not sure. Also the Action or Treasure card restriction seems weird and unnecessary

Clipper

Will make for fast games, that's for sure. Putting a few tokens on an expensive stack, clearing it, and then using TFB is a cute trick you could do. But I think making it non terminal (and stay in your hand unlike Embargo) might make things just go too fast and/or help the other guy as much as it helps you so not really be worth it.

Beacon (A)
+1 Action.

While this is in play, keep the top card of your deck revealed. During your Action or Buy phase, when the top card of your deck is an Action or Treasure, you may discard this from play. If you do, play that card and gain a copy of it.

Trying to figure out how this works if your top card is a beacon. You play the beacon, play that as the card below it, gain the card below it and then gain the beacon right? With things like golem that might start to become really hard to track even if the idea behind it is cool.

Cottage
+2 Cards. +2 Actions. Put 2 cards from your hand on top of your deck. At the start of your next turn, reveal the top 2 cards of your deck. You may discard one of them. You may trash one of them. Put the rest back in any order.

As far as village types go its... alright. Doesn't really excite me at all but seems reasonable.

Ship of the Line
You may gain a Victory card costing less than a Province. At the start of your next turn, +3 Cards.

While this is in play, Victory cards cost $1 more.

Eh. Its alright as well. Nothing really to add.

Investment
You may choose an Action card from your hand. Set aside this and the chosen card on your Investment mat. Return them to your deck at the end of the game.

I like the idea. Without play testing I'm not really sure if its too strong (I doubt it. Its like you turn each card into its own little herablist that is hard to powerup. Sure you can turn your markets into grand markets or beyond, but that takes one would be market to get an Investment and then you lose another to increase it) or too weak, but there is certainly a cool idea there.

Shipyard (A)
+1 Card. Now and at the start of your next turn, trash a card from your hand.

Forced hand trashing is a little risky. Really hurt by discard attacks. Making it optional would probably be better.

Fisherman
+1 Buy. +$1.

Eh, I dislike needing more tokens, needing four more token types just seems really clunky.

Thugs
+2 Buys. +$2. Each other player with 4 or more cards in hand discards 1 card for each card he gained last turn. Each other player with no cards in hand draws 3 cards.

Would be too hard to track and also not much fun.

Cannon
+1 Action. +1 Buy. At the start of your next turn, you may trash up to 2 cards that are not Curses. If you trash exactly 1 card, each other player discards down to 3 cards in hand. If you trash exactly 2 cards, each other player gains a Curse.

Just don't really like the idea of Duration attacks (i.e. ones that really attack the next turn). Don't see how they fit with the rules.

Recycle
Trash a card from your hand. Gain a card costing up to $2 more than the trashed card, setting it aside face down. At the start of your next turn, return the gained card to your hand and trash a card from your hand, gaining a card costing up to $1 more than that trashed card.

eh.... the face down potion doesn't seem necessary. Remodel the next turn into your hand is cool. Not as sure about the second turn remodel as well.

Martello
Now and at the start of your next turn: +1 Action and +1 Buy.

While this is in play, when any player gains a card, you may choose for him to put that card on top of his deck. If you do, he may first discard the top card of his deck.

I don't understand this. You top deck it for him, and then he can just discard it anyways?

Kraken
Types: Action – Reaction
+$2. Put a card from your hand on top of your deck.

When you put this on top of your deck, you may reveal it. If you do, choose a card in the Supply; each other player gains a copy of the chosen card, putting it on the bottom of his deck.

So its a curser than can switch to coppers later. Or that a jerk can use in a four player game to end the game faster cause he's board. But ignoring that, while its hard to play a lot of these if you can you could sink someone with five+ curses at the bottom of their deck (or a ton of copper). Doesn't seem much fun for him. Granted it costs $6 and is hard to activate but yeah...

Flagship
Set aside a card from your hand face down. At the beginning of your next turn, reveal the set aside card, then reveal cards from your deck until you reveal a copy of it. Discard the other revealed cards and either trash both copies or put them into your hand.

Makes it too easy to trigger tunnels.

Vessel

While this is in play, when another player gains a card costing $4 or more, gain a card costing less than it.

Might be too strong. Can make it really easy to pick up duchys in the end game.

Mermaid
+1 Action. Discard the top card of your deck. Put the bottom card of your deck into your hand. You may put up to 2 cards from your hand on the bottom of your deck.

Fairly simple cantrip. Not sure I see the use outside a few possible combos for clever people.

Beacon (B)
+2 Cards. At the start of your next turn, +1 Card and put a card from your hand on top of your deck.

While this is in play, when you gain a card, trash that card or put it on top of your deck.

Half Moat half Watchtower. Feels kinda like a been there/done that.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 30, 2013, 05:42:54 pm »

In truth, nobody is doing that. It was a rewording of mine. I had a realization recently. If a Duration sets aside a card face-up, and that card is another Duration, it's easy to lose track of the fact that it isn't just another Duration card you played last turn. Hence, I changed set-aside cards to face-down.

That actually makes a lot of sense.  I retract my objection.

Commune

It's in the Supply so that other players can buy (or gain) it out from under you. That's how it leaves play.

Ahaaaa.  But... how do you decide who to gain it from?  There should be something about that.  Like instead of "this is in the Supply," "While this is in play, when another player would gain a Commune, put this in their discard pile instead."

Lockbox

Except that Mandarin topdecks the cards, whereas this "havens" them into your next hand.

Honestly, you're not really reading these very carefully, are you?   :-\

There are a lot of cards.  Cards that I know I would not do justice to right now I just didn't even talk about.

So this thing is actually more like a Walled Village sort of deal - if you didn't want to use your Treasures the way you wanted, you save them for next turn.  Do you get to set aside up to 3 Treasures per copies of this you have in play?

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 30, 2013, 05:50:35 pm »

There are a lot of cards.  Cards that I know I would not do justice to right now I just didn't even talk about.

Sorry, that was perhaps a bit unfair of me.

So this thing is actually more like a Walled Village sort of deal - if you didn't want to use your Treasures the way you wanted, you save them for next turn.  Do you get to set aside up to 3 Treasures per copies of this you have in play?

Yes, you do.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: September 30, 2013, 06:05:05 pm »
+1

Haven sets aside a card from my hand, so by keeping it face down I am concealing which card is being saved.  Personally, I've always just tucked that card under Haven, which keeps it pretty easy to track. That can be pretty important.  With Dispatch, the card being set aside is public (since it was just gained), so it doesn't seem necessary to conceal its identity.

Speaking of Haven.  What happens to that set aside card if someone Shipwreck Cove's my Haven? I guess it just remains stranded until the end of the game?
Well you *do* need a signature...

cluckyb

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +169
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 30, 2013, 06:08:39 pm »
+10

Speaking of Haven.  What happens to that set aside card if someone Shipwreck Cove's my Haven? I guess it just remains stranded until the end of the game?

It washes up on your island mat three games later

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 30, 2013, 06:10:39 pm »

Star Charts

Seems weak. The benefit to other players is probably too good compared to what it gives you.

Harbourmaster

Reread the rules on Durations. Since it isn't doing anything at the start of the next turn, it doesn't stay out, so you can never use the second part.

Tariff

Cool idea. Tracking player choices might be tricky with larger games.

Beacon (A)
+1 Action.

This can get into problems with the action card option: You play this, get your deck down to, say a Grand Market. Discard it, play the GM, draw this card, gain a GM, play this, repeat until the GM's are all yours. Maybe you intended it for it to be that powerful but man, I think that's too much even for $6.

Investment

I kind of like this but it's hard to say how often it would be worth giving up a copy of an action card to make the rest slightly better. If it's a card I got a lot of, there's probably a good reason I wanted as many as I could get; if it's a card I only got a few of, I probably can't spare one, and am I going to get an extra copy of the card and hope it collides with this? I do like that one Investment makes future Investments better. Is it worth investing Investments to get one-shot platinums in the late game?

Fisherman
+1 Buy. +$1.

A pile of distinct tokens for each player is asking for a lot IRL but it's a fan expansion so I guess you can use different denominations of change or something. The effect itself seems a little overpowered.

Thugs

I like it, but again it's a little hard to track, especially in large games. Do you count how many cards you gained each turn just in case someone plays thugs? Smugglers is already a little iffy in my opinion, and all it cares about is the previous turn and whether any copy of the card was gained.

Recycle
Trash a card from your hand. Gain a card costing up to $2 more than the trashed card, setting it aside face down. At the start of your next turn, return the gained card to your hand and trash a card from your hand, gaining a card costing up to $1 more than that trashed card.

Maybe overpowered but I love it. Versatile and requires some thought. But yeah it's probably too powerful.

On rereading: the second effect say "up to $1 more" not "exactly" which makes it a little more reasonable, I suppose.

Martello
Now and at the start of your next turn: +1 Action and +1 Buy.

While this is in play, when any player gains a card, you may choose for him to put that card on top of his deck. If you do, he may first discard the top card of his deck.

Seems powerful but I might be overestimating it. I like it though.

Vessel

Too powerful.

Mermaid

Reverse pearl diver? Kind of weird and not that interesting.

Beacon (B)

"While in play" Watchtower. Pretty cool and I do like interesting $2 cards.

Observatory
+1 Action. Trash a card from your hand. Look at one card from your deck per $ in its cost. You may put one of them into your hand and discard any number of the others. Put the rest back in any order.

I really like this but it might be a little weak. I'd love to try to play with it though.

Treasure Fleet
+$2. Now and at the start of your next turn, +1 Buy.

While this is in play, when you buy a card, gain a Treasure card costing less than it, setting it aside. At the start of your next turn, put that card into your hand.

I'm not sure but I think the duration rules means that this stays out forever as long as you buy a card every turn. You buy a card, gain a treasure card, the card stays out to keep track of the gained treasure going into your hand, you buy another card, gain another treasure, etc., etc. If this is intended then it's a cool idea but probably overpowered, in a money deck it's basically a silver or gold in your hand every turn for the rest of the game.

Commune

Um... what? I guess the only way to have this leave play is if another player gains it from there. Why would they? Am I missing something?

Customs Officer
Cost: $1
+1 Card. +1 Action. While this is in play, when you gain a card, you may return it and this to the Supply. Gain a card with cost exactly equal to the total cost of the returned cards.

I think this would be more interesting at a different cost. Also there's no duration effect so it's not a duration.

Seafarer's Charm
Types: Treasure – Reaction
Cost: $0
Worth $1.

When you discard this from play, you may put it on top of your deck. When another player plays an Attack card, you may discard this from your hand. If you do, you are unaffected by that Attack.

Sunken Treasure
Types: Treasure
Worth $1.

When you shuffle, put this at the bottom of your deck.

Clarification:  Seafarer's Charm and Sunken Treasure are not Kingdom Cards.  Each player begins with one of each in place of two starting Coppers.  Determine whether these Treasures are used by the proportion of Seaside cards, as one would Colonies or Shelters. Sunken Treasure has a special back.  When shuffling, you may choose the order in which you resolve multiple Sunken Treasures or Stashes.

I like this idea, actually. It changes early game dynamics quite a bit. Attacks aren't as good right away, which maybe isn't that good for games, but I love that the Sunken Treasure decreases the chances that your openers will miss the reshuffle.

Docks (A)
Now and at the beginning of your next turn: +1 Card per card you have in play.

Neat, but this could easily be $5 in my opinion.

Fishmonger
+1 Card. +1 Action. +1 Buy. At the start of your next turn, +1 Buy.

Maybe it's too boring for a fan contest but I like it.

Convoy
+1 Action. Each other player may choose one: he draws a card; or he trashes a card from his hand. Now and at the start of your next turn, +2 Cards and +$1.

Seems cool.

Shipyard (C)
+2 Buys. Now and at the start of your next turn: Look through your discard pile, reveal up to 3 Coppers from it, and put them into your hand.

While this is in play, when you would gain a card, you may gain a Copper instead.

Counting House is already a very situational card, you don't really need variants (yes I designed Wayfarer B, shut up).

Voyage
Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal 3 costing from $3 to $6. Put those cards on top of your deck in any order and discard the rest. At the start of your next turn, +2 Cards.

When you would discard this from play, instead, trash this and gain a Voyage.

Seems really powerful to me, and it would pile out quickly.

Coastal Raiders
Each other player discards down to 3 cards in hand. At the start of your next turn, +$3.

The next turn benefit is too good, mega grand market (with no buy) for $3?

Sea Harvest
+1 Action. Gain an Action card costing less than $1 per card in your hand. At the start of your next turn, gain a Treasure card costing less than $1 per card in your hand.

Hmm, could be interesting.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 06:13:25 pm by A Drowned Kernel »
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 30, 2013, 06:16:12 pm »
+1

Haven sets aside a card from my hand, so by keeping it face down I am concealing which card is being saved.  Personally, I've always just tucked that card under Haven, which keeps it pretty easy to track. That can be pretty important.  With Dispatch, the card being set aside is public (since it was just gained), so it doesn't seem necessary to conceal its identity.

It's possible that the primary reason that Haven sets aside cards face-down is to keep it private, but not necessarily. Again, the reason I changed these cards so that they set aside cards face-down is so set-aside Duration cards would not be mistaken for Durations you played last turn. You may think this is unnecessary, but I respectfully disagree.

Beats me. ;D  That's a regular Sky Drop/Gravity situation, there! Let's put a blanket ban on Shipwreck Cove! [/Pokιmon reference]
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 06:31:29 pm by LastFootnote »

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 30, 2013, 06:33:51 pm »

Clipper

Will make for fast games, that's for sure. Putting a few tokens on an expensive stack, clearing it, and then using TFB is a cute trick you could do.

Clearing it?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14  All

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 21 queries.